PDA

View Full Version : Hair, or Wigs?

Tara Bordeaux
12-16-2011, 01:44 AM
Several years ago, before I really started getting into dressing, I had hair down to the middle of my shoulder blades. I wore a pony tail for years as a guy. I got sick and tired of the constant maintenance of it and opted to cut it short again. Now I kind of have this feeling like I'd like to grow it back again, obviously it will take years.

OTOH, I like my wigs because I switch off from blonde to redhead when the mood strikes and I'm thinking about getting a black one to try. With my real hair, I'm limited to style and color and a lot of high maintenance. With wigs, it's grab a new style/color, brush it up a bit and good to go. So I'm kind of tossed up between going for "more authentic" in lieu of the convenience and versatility.

Anybody have any thoughts on this??

KimberlyJane
12-16-2011, 01:58 AM
I would love to grow my own!! But not a possibility for me, the pattern baldness makes me as bald as a babies butt. OK, I could grow enough on the sides to look like Bozo, or do a 'swoop' but that is just gross! I of course use wigs instead, and I also have several to allow for switching styles and colors. I find that wearing a stocking hat when I am not wearing a wig makes having a wig on more comfortable when i do as I am used to the reduced heat loss. I do enjoy wigs, but since I can't and have never been able to grow hair, I am SO envious of those that can! I would dearly love to feel my own hair on my head, flowing in the breeze, or cleaning it under a shower head! Although I have never had a wig misshap, I always worry about getting close and intimate. To have a SO run her hands thru my hair would be such a gift, knowing there would not be the lumps of the wig seams, but just natural hair. So of course I would vote that you grow it out, and let that mane flow! (Of course I have never had to deal with the maintenance.)

SallyS
12-16-2011, 04:47 AM
Into the early 90's I had long wavy hair (see my photo on the left, 1993!). But as I got older and had a 'professional' job, long hair was a no no!!!

I could grow it long again, but the wife's not too keen.

So, with the quality of wigs these days, I stick to fake hair to complete my female look.

donnalee
12-16-2011, 05:07 AM
When I retired 2 years ago, I decided to grow mine out. It's down to my shoulder blades by now. I have no bald spots; there's some gray at the temples,which I can hide if I comb it right. My eldest sister (by 9 years) has about the same amount of gray, so I think it will stay that way for a long time. It is a pain to take care of, plus it is very fine, so it is constantly blowing in my eyes and mouth if I don't use a pony tail to keep it out of the way, so I'm not sure if I'll keep it.

Melody1985
12-16-2011, 05:17 AM
I think wigs are the way to go..

But you could always grow it out just a little, to have that natural short hair look, but still have the ability to put a wig over it or even try a weave/half wig..

Good luck with ur decision.

MarcyHunter
12-16-2011, 07:05 AM
Gone cottin choppin.

Renee W
12-16-2011, 08:10 AM
I love the versatility of wigs. All but one of mine are brunette, almost the same color as my natural hair (if I didn't have the darn gray ones mixing in). The 4 brunettes that I have are all different lengths and styles so that I can wear one that best fits the mood that I am in or the activities I plan on doing. If I'm taking it easy, just relaxing and watching TV, I'll go long. If I'm cooking and cleaning, I'll go short.

drag n fly
12-16-2011, 08:33 AM
I love being bald, and showing off my head tats...I feel as though I can be femme AND bald..Miss Bizarro...Love the sound of it...There's always the wig option...But bald is so freeing ..and clean..My whole body is smooth..Lovely smooches Jackie

Starr
12-16-2011, 09:00 AM
I love my long hair, have been growning it for about 3 years now and it is way down my back.. I do have a little thinning spot on the back of my head that may be from wearing a high ponytail while it was growing as I kept it pretty tight.. it is long enouh now that i wear a low ponytail.. i do have some receding in the front as well as the male high forehead but can comb my hair and make it look ok. I need to get it trimed and styled into a more fem look that i can still wear a ponytail with in male mode,

As for wigs i have enjoyed them but it seems so much more like the real me when i just comb out my long hair and wear it.

kimdl93
12-16-2011, 09:23 AM
Like many of us, I find that there's a bit of thinning going on on the back of my head - I just can't adequately hide it with any style I've tried, so wigs are a necessity. I presently only have one, but plan on getting more for sake of variety!

linda allen
12-16-2011, 09:29 AM
Real hair is more natural, it won't shift, it won't come off when you take your blouse off.

But, some of us are unable to have a full head of natural, long hair because of age, baldness, etc., and others don't want to because of our jobs or what people would thing about us in male mode. Long hair on an older man pretty much makes him look like a bum.

For someone seriously into CDing, full or much of the time, natural hair might be the best. For others, a wig might be a better choice.

In the end, of course, it's your decision. There's no right or wrong here.

KayleeDahl
12-16-2011, 09:32 AM
its long hair for me! for some people it may be more difficult to manage, but for me, the happyness of having it far outweighs any negatives. all of the wigs that I ever had were FAR less comfortable (hot etc) than having real hair. That includes when i'm running on a hot summer day, or spending a couple hours pedaling on the bike.

I pray that I never start loosing it, and I certainly sympathize with those of you who can't grow out your hair. Atleast there are some really good looking wigs on the market if you are willing to spend a bit of $.
Hugs
Kaylee

Joann Smith
12-16-2011, 10:26 AM
Wigs ... Wigs...Wigs.. I think it wrtten down in stone someplace that every black woman shall at lease posess one "head dress" ...LOL ....Seriously l love them because they allow you compliment any outfit with the right hairdo and or color ....

RachelZ
12-16-2011, 10:30 AM
Wigs because I'm almost totally bald on top... wish I could have long hair, but being able to change is fun.

Julogden
12-16-2011, 10:35 AM
I have to use wigs as my hair is too thin on top and my hairline has receded too much. If I could use my own hair, I'd be ecstatic, as I don't particularly like wearing a wig.

Carol

Sarah Doepner
12-16-2011, 01:09 PM
My hair is long enough to work in a womans style, but it's thinning, curly a little frizzy, and no longer thick or shiny regardless of how I treat it. It's also going gray and makes me look older than I feel. So with male pattern sunburn, curls and friz, I go with wigs that give me flexibility in color and style, make me look younger and less like my male self and look pretty darn real. The change from frizzy gray to a dark brown, layered cut to my shoulders cuts 10 years off my appearance and diverts attention from some of my more masculine facial characteristics. (Unfortunately I can't find a style to cover my nose!)

The other problem with using your own hair, finding a good womens style can be a challenge if you still have to maintain a male persona. But I'll be honest, if I had a thick head of lusterous hair that would work, I'd go with it.

kelseymichellelee
12-16-2011, 01:16 PM
I have to keep my hair short to maintain a professional look. I would love to grow it out, but for now, wigs are the way to go for convenience and variety of color.

joank
12-16-2011, 01:17 PM
I'm with allot of you in that I would love to growth my own hair but MPB has set in. My thinning gray hair, problably, would look much worse than the wigs I wear.

KarenCDFL
12-16-2011, 01:30 PM
I have worn my hair long for about 15 years now. It averages to about the middle of my back and I wear it in a ponytail.

I do have to agree that it is a pain to keep from tangling and as I am now in my mid 50's it is thinning out quite a bit.

But with some gel and hair spray, I much rather wear my own hair but I also have several wigs for other times.

Acastina
12-16-2011, 01:30 PM
I've been letting mine grow for two years, keeping it in a ponytail most of the time. I do have middling male-pattern baldness, so it's not adequate by itself. This avatar shows it pretty well; if I bowed my head, you'd see plenty of scalp. I recently bought a wiglet in a very close match to my brown/gray mix. It clips on and covers the entirety of the baldness. I added two more clips where I have more hair to anchor it better. I'm going back to the wig shop to have it styled, as the front has to be pulled behind my ears to keep from looking like Justin Bieber gone wild. The shop owner is going to trim it into bangs and shape it. I'm quite satisfied with it out of the box, though. I'll post a photo with and without (the avatar is without) after it's styled. Much more comfortable than a full wig, blends very nicely, and the view from side and back is vastly better. With six clips it's pretty secure, and, of course, if someone pulled on the ends, my head goes with it...

TGMarla
12-16-2011, 01:35 PM
Wig for me please! Heck, a lot of my hair fell out already, so I'm not left with much choice! :heehee:

Cheryl T
12-16-2011, 04:44 PM
Why not both???????
If you can grow your own hair (I Wish, I Wish, I Wish) then do it. That way you can wear your wigs for a change in style and look and your own hair when you want that. Seems to be the best of both...

sometimes_miss
12-16-2011, 05:38 PM
When I was a teen, I had beautiful, long shoulder length hair. But like so many others, the hair thinned out as I got older. While I still have a bit of hair on my head (enough so that I don't need to create a 'comb over'), it's not thick enough to grow long and be seen as feminine. So, a wig it must be. I had avoided buying one for decades; not knowing that it was the one thing that was missing which would make me feel so 'female'. Now, I wear one nearly all the time. Feeling the long, silky locks brushing across my skin, well, it's the finishing touch, that's all I can say.

Acastina
12-16-2011, 08:56 PM
Why not both???????
If you can grow your own hair (I Wish, I Wish, I Wish) then do it. That way you can wear your wigs for a change in style and look and your own hair when you want that. Seems to be the best of both...

I agree. It's a bit cumbersome to pin my hair up to fit under a full wig, but it works, and it gives me that wonderful flexibility of choosing today's hair. With the wiglet, I'm trying to show as much of my own as possible without the thin-top giveaway. Wish I could afford six months at Bosley's transplant clinic...

Jilmac
12-16-2011, 10:24 PM
I doubt I'd be able to grow enough hair to cover up my baldness so I'll stick to using wigs, and like you mentioned it's easy to change color and style on a whim.

SarahLynn
12-16-2011, 10:59 PM
I had long hair (natural) and loved it. I also enjoyed putting it in curlers, and other maintaince items. Then i saw a picture of me (head and shoulders) and realized it made my face appear to be too long. I cut it off about three weeks later and have not let it grow out since. Given a choice i'd grow my own.