PDA

View Full Version : couldn't change myself, so i changed my religion

darci.c
12-18-2011, 04:29 PM
I grew up Christian. Very conservative Christian.

I remember my mom telling me that if we are sincere enough, and pray hard enough, and believe it, that God can make anything happen for us.

Well, guess what I prayed for over and over from about age 4 to age 8?

That I would grow up to be a girl. Although never caught dressed up, I was caught standing in front of the mirror more than once trying to find a way to hide my penis because it didn't seem like it belonged there.

I'm mostly "straight" but I've never had sex in guy mode that I enjoyed nearly as much as when I switched to the other role/dress, and I thank god (the atheist that I am now, lol) I've been able to find partners who have fun bending all the rules.

Just some thoughts and stories I wanted to get off my chest. Thanks for listening =)

Foxglove
12-18-2011, 04:37 PM
I grew up Christian. Very conservative Christian.

I remember my mom telling me that if we are sincere enough, and pray hard enough, and believe it, that God can make anything happen for us.

I could have written those words myself. And I, too, prayed for things (though not what you prayed for--perhaps I thought God wouldn't like that), and my prayers were never granted. That's one reason, though hardly the only one, that I, too, eventually abandoned the religion.

One question that still lingers, however, is this: if what I do is a sin (and I think most Christians would say that it is), then why did God make me such that I wanted to do it? I suppose maybe he was testing me. That seems to be the standard answer. If so, I think I failed. Now what happens?

Karren H
12-18-2011, 04:50 PM
I was an alter boy... Loved wearing the robes... But setting there behind the scenes and listing to the sermons.... They just didn't work for me. I'm a devout agnostic with borderline atheist tendencies.

Inna
12-18-2011, 05:00 PM
Well...............basing my opinion of a catholic church on the past performance, seems such credentials as: torture, execution, child abuse, money extortion, put it closer to mafia then Christ.
Babe, you are missing nothing by following your heart! BE YOUR SELF and tell every Catholic priest who might want to "Guide you towards the light" to have a Bud light instead and kiss your feminine .........!!!

Melissa.Lynn88
12-18-2011, 05:06 PM
I was raised Catholic and went to Catholic school as a kid. As time went on I started to question what I had been taught as it just didn't really make sense to me. I don't get how a book like the Bible can be read and interpreted so literally. So now I consider myself agnostic.

Julia_in_Pa
12-18-2011, 05:14 PM
I too grew up in a staunch ultra conservative Christian household.

Assembly Of God was my families refuge from anything and everything outside of a very narrowed box.

Quite a few years later some within that church community found out about my intersexed condition.

They wished to pray with me in order that God would somehow set me free of this "affliction".

Affliction?!?!? I'm intersexed you idiot's I'm not suffering from the flu!!

Assembly Of God along with most other evangelical sects are extremely uncomfortable when someone is walking medical proof that gender is not binary.

I'm still spiritual but in my own way and on my own terms.

Julia

Eryn
12-18-2011, 05:41 PM
That's one reason, though hardly the only one, that I, too, eventually abandoned the religion.

It seems to me that it's the other way around, the religion abandoned you.

Allisa
12-18-2011, 05:43 PM
I think its not religion, you seem to have issues with gender identity,I am far from a bible thumper,I never really liked fables to begin with.If it helps in any way I believe that we are all part of the universe and our life force joins all others when it finally runs it course in this existence of the here and now.I'm sorry but a discussion on organized religion in this forum would not be appropriate.I feel your torment and wish you all the best .I have to go now.

Amanda S
12-18-2011, 05:47 PM
I'm still very much a Christian (and I may be a small minority here in that regard), but I'm firmly convinced God cares an awful lot more about what's on the inside than what's on the outside. I refuse to believe the God who made me doesn't love me as I am. I refuse to let your bigotry become my problem just because you claim to be religious. Period.

Julia_in_Pa
12-18-2011, 05:51 PM
Well said Amanda. I agree.

I'm still very much a Christian (and I may be a small minority here in that regard), but I'm firmly convinced God cares an awful lot more about what's on the inside than what's on the outside. I refuse to believe the God who made me doesn't love me as I am. I refuse to let your bigotry become my problem just because you claim to be religious. Period.

larry07
12-18-2011, 05:58 PM
I consider myself a Christian, but though I haven't shared my alternative gender expression with others in my faith community I feel confidant that I would be fully accepted however I cared to dress. The God I worship doesn't care how I or anyone else dresses or who we love.

I find it sad that some branches of christianity have adopted such narrow interpretations of our faith they have driven many people away from the church entirely. To me that narrow view does not truly reflect Christianity.

Sheila11
12-18-2011, 07:09 PM
Still trying to figure this out.
Conflicted and sometimes confused.

I feel the same way about politics.

ArleneRaquel
12-18-2011, 07:18 PM
According to the very conservative Catholic Answers, crossdressing isn't a sin. That being said IMHO the Church has alignes itself with the most reactionary & bigoted forces in America in regard to gender issues. That alignment makes me sad. I am a lifelong, " cradle Catholic ".

Kelly DeWinter
12-18-2011, 07:22 PM
Actually for me the reverse is true, In continued reflection on who I am as a person, I have found renewed faith in God, the more i've found how incredibly complex the living physical world is around me( including gender diversity, psycology etc. ) the more covinced I am of God. AND the more convinced I am that it is man who has diluted God's richness and imposed impossible rules on mankind. PM me in private if you want to chat further as I find the discussion of religion interesting.

Kelly

Allisa
12-18-2011, 07:25 PM
Still trying to figure this out.
Conflicted and sometimes confused.

I feel the same way about politics.

Love the shoes ,Lisa

DameErrant
12-18-2011, 07:41 PM
It seems to me that it's the other way around, the religion abandoned you.

I quite agree. Darcy and Julia, what counts is what Christ has done for you, not what some Christians, with the best or intentions, may erroneously say in his name. None of us are perfect; if we were we wouldn't need a Saviour. All the perfect people are in Heaven, and I'm sorry that the imperfect people you knew were so far off the mark in regard to your needs. Fortunately, here on this site you can find people of Faith, or no faith, who will try to understand and help you the best they can.

BRANDYJ
12-18-2011, 07:42 PM
I happen to believe in God. I also believe there was a man named Jesus Christ. I also happen to believ in the earliest known religions that worshipped Goddesses and not Gods. I do believ in the existance of a greater power and that being both a God and a Goddess. What I have no faith in is any organized religion. No, I do not consider myself a Christian and I don't believe in the bible.
Like a quote fron Ghandi. He said, I like this man named Jesus Christ. To bad that those that profess to follow him are nothing like him. Religions have cause more wars over the course of history then any other cause.
I follow this very simple phrase I read in a book about Goddesses. It said something like this: IF IT HARMS NO ONE, DO AS THY WILL. Seems like that should be part of the ten Commandments to me.
I have a bible thumping brother that I foolishly confessed to, that I am a crossdresser. He wrote me off and I have not heard from him in over 4 years. he chose his brain washing church over his own brother after years of being close. Sure it hurt. But I am so glad I am nothing like him. You might say my actions are more Christian like based on the teachings of Jesus. How'd these church leaders twist everything around to where they are nothing like Jesus?

Longing2be-Trisha
12-18-2011, 07:48 PM
Hi Julia!

I totally understand how you feel. I too was part of the Assembly of God Church, up until recently that is. My wife on the other hand is still part of the church and wants to pray over me so this will disappear. God does not make mistakes they say, and I don't think He did. I am becoming who I am supposed to be a woman. Which goes against like you said the Assembly of God Church and all other evangelistic sects.

Hugs

I too grew up in a staunch ultra conservative Christian household.

Assembly Of God was my families refuge from anything and everything outside of a very narrowed box.

Quite a few years later some within that church community found out about my intersexed condition.

They wished to pray with me in order that God would somehow set me free of this "affliction".

Affliction?!?!? I'm intersexed you idiot's I'm not suffering from the flu!!

Assembly Of God along with most other evangelical sects are extremely uncomfortable when someone is walking medical proof that gender is not binary.

I'm still spiritual but in my own way and on my own terms.

Julia

Meg East
12-18-2011, 07:55 PM

Raised Catholic and still with the faith. I was at Mass in Seattle when walking down the communion line was a young man in the cutest skirt. (Wanted to jump up and ask where he found it.) The priest gave him the sacrament without pause.

Evil doesn't reside in the Church it is within the weak minded people in the organization. A parish priest once said "beware of zealots because they are without humor."

Acastina
12-18-2011, 07:59 PM
I'm a devout agnostic with borderline atheist tendencies.

Amen. I don't believe; I don't disbelieve. One of my favorite spiritual sayings of all time is: Those who say don't know, and those who know don't say.

Religions have cause more wars over the course of history then any other cause.

Absolutely Amen to that.

Fran Moore
12-18-2011, 08:00 PM
Personally I don't subscribe to any "religion", although I know I have deeply rooted spiritual convictions. I don't question why I am transgendered, but rather choose to accept and embrace it. The answer to why I was created this way will be forthcoming upon my death. That is my belief.

Suzanne

Kaz
12-18-2011, 08:03 PM
Is atheism a religion? I thought it was the denial of all religion... okay, that may be a tautological arguement!

Religions are by their nature prescribed cand historically proscribed codes of conduct and behaviour and at their worst, thinking. Follow your heart and you will find your guiding light. You can then decide how you want to describe it. But be careful... you could choose to just make it an individual issue personal to you... or you could then attempt to spread the word of your enlightenment! Be a prophet... give us your insights!

I am a very spiritual person... but I don't do off the shelf religions. There is great learning in all the great religions, but to think that any one has all the answers is a suspension of learning and development. Adherence to a code based purely on belief is not the best of journeys... although it does provide the means to defend one's bigotry and hatred.

When will we ever learn?

susan54
12-18-2011, 08:12 PM
If I may be permitted an observation, as a confirmed atheist, Christianity has no views on cross-dressing. All the diatribes about a man wearing clothes pertaining to a woman are in the Old Testament, not the New, so not Christian. If you comply with all this stuff, then you must have fringes to your garments and avoid wearing mixed fibres.

Miss Maxine
12-18-2011, 08:17 PM
I was raised to be a strict, intolerant Christian. I feel lucky that I was born with my strong femininity. I would probably be a terrible, hateful, misguided religious nutjob, today, if it wasn't for my social gender-identity issues.

Dawn cd
12-18-2011, 08:39 PM
It's sad to reflect that people opt out of institutions because they find ignorance and prejudice there. Because, on that basis, we should also opt out of our nation, and even of our families. The real challenge—it seems to me—is to fight ignorance wherever we find it, and to reform and reclaim our institutions. Many persons here have been fighting their own families. Some wind up leaving them, but there are many wonderful victories. The same goes for governments and public laws. The churches may be the last bastion of prejudice, but they will change too. You know why? Because history, and God, are on our side.

Barbara Ella
12-18-2011, 08:42 PM
Raised Methodist, married Catholic, and we both realized very quick that the man based interpretation of the teachings of God and Christ are full of bull. God is in your heart, and if you dont believe, you still have something there guiding you to be a good person. Man's religion holds nothing for me. I put my soul in my hands, and I will be guided appropriately, wherever it comes from.

Babes

suchacutie
12-18-2011, 08:43 PM
I am Roman Catholic. Nothing in church teachings or writings even refers to transgenderism. I went to religious education every week and have heard 2500 sermons (give or take a few) and I have never even heard transgenderism mentioned.

Also, the Church is right now in the throws of an educational renewal to remind the world's one billion (plus) Catholics about the details of their faith. One detail is that the Catholic church does NOT take the bible literally. We could talk on this topic forever, but that's probably best left to the religious forum.

I'm very sorry to hear that so many of you have had a negative religious experience. Mine has been superb, and I am one who questions everything.

tina

Josie M
12-18-2011, 10:06 PM
Actually for me the reverse is true, In continued reflection on who I am as a person, I have found renewed faith in God, the more i've found how incredibly complex the living physical world is around me( including gender diversity, psycology etc. ) the more covinced I am of God. AND the more convinced I am that it is man who has diluted God's richness and imposed impossible rules on mankind. PM me in private if you want to chat further as I find the discussion of religion interesting.

Kelly

Yea....what Kelly said....if you consider yourself Athiest because of what other's have told you about God...just be aware that maybe they don't know either. For me, I think I've lost my faith in religion, but I'm kinda with Kelly as far as God is concerned. I just have no idea who he is or what he wants....but I like to think he's ok with me as he's made me :)

kathie225
12-18-2011, 10:42 PM
After a ton of reflection and personal introspection for a lot of years, I've become convinced that, for me, dogmatic religious teaching is anti-spirtual. Dogma is totally rejected as "man made" attempts at social control and alot less with spirtual redemption. Consequently I've become; evolved into a "deist". I still go to mass (C & E)with the family, but derive more happiness and warm fuzzy feelings since my epiphany. Many of you seem to be in a similar place. Merry Christmas

Raychel Torn
12-18-2011, 11:24 PM
I go to a wonderful Episcopal church that will accept anyone who comes and make them a part of the family. My congregation even marches in the local Gay Pride day parade. Were a regular mixed race congregation who follow the teaching that God love all of us, and there is a Christian home for everyone. I admit far to many churches can be very "anti-christian." Their are organizations that track which churches are Gay/cross gender affirming like: www.gaychurch.org/Find_a_Church/united_states/us_georgia.htm. (I'm not putting that link in right, am I?)

kimmy p
12-18-2011, 11:45 PM
Ladies, Gentlemen, and those who are not quite sure....

Please remember that there is a difference between being religious (with a capital "R") and spirituality. Many religions (maybe most) are not what they were meant to be.

My .02.

Anna Lorree
12-19-2011, 12:00 AM
God hasn't abandoned anybody, but we screw up His message all the time. I am a Methodist who leans a bit toward the Gnostic side. I also believe in reincarnation. As for the Methodist Church, it does not condemn crossdressing (I know, because I asked the headquarters).

God made man and woman in God's own image. Knowing that, I know that God must also transcend gender and that comforts me as I struggle with a human society that does NOT allow the transcendence of gender. I feel no friction between my faith and being TG.

Anna

Gillian Gigs
12-19-2011, 12:35 AM
The problem is that religion is about external restraint, as in do's and don'ts. True christianity is about internal transformation through the internal work of Christ Jesus. This internal work is about thoughts, motives, attitudes and character.The man, Jesus (God come in the flesh) left us with two commandments. One: love God with all of your heart, Two: love your neighbor as you would love yourself. He said that evil come from within us and not from something on the outside, thence He is more interested in changing us from the inside to the outside. Religion has never seen it that way and never will, they want you to play the rules game which you can never win. The entire old testement was meant to show that no one could live up to rules and that we would need help to become who we were meant to be. Religion is continually reinventing the Pharisees, probably because someone wants to be in control, and to control someone you would need rules. Jesus doesn't want to control you He wants your love and to give you love. Jesus said that if you love Him and you would naturally want to obey His two commandments, and His internal working on you would help you to do just that. His commandments are not a burden to bare, but religion's rules are hard to bare, because we were never meant to bare them! It can be tough enough to love the jerks and idoits that are out there, never mind how you are dressed.

AnitaH
12-19-2011, 12:37 AM
As I've said to several people lately. Since accepting myself I've not lost my faith in God, in fact I think it's become much stronger. But I have been slowly losing faith in my church. It is one of those which has strong ideas on what is right and wrong and I now often feel very alien sometimes. In the end accepting myself my cause me to leave the denomination I have been very active in since childhood.

AnitaH

docrobbysherry
12-19-2011, 12:59 AM
ALL the problems with ALL religions can be attributed to the humans that HAVE and ARE interpreting the original message for their own purposes!:Angry3:

If u communicate directly with your deity(s), that's all u should need! If u don't believe u CAN do that, maybe u really don't need or want one?:straightface:

But, NEVER, EVER discount the power of someone's faith or belief!

Fifteen years ago at age 50, I suddenly wanted to be a young woman. And now, with the power of conviction and a willingness to try nearly anything, I often am able to become one!:o

I guess u could say, "My prayers were answered!" Only I never prayed, just kept believing I could!:thumbsup:

natalie james
12-19-2011, 02:07 AM
i eventually deconverted from christianity because i really couldent see how i could be an "abomination" for liking to dress in womens things, and "destesable" for being bisexual. i still have good friends in the church, but they don't know that i x- dress.
they only know that i deconverted.

DanaR
12-19-2011, 03:16 AM
I've always thought of myself as a Christian, but have a hard time understanding all of the hatred that is sometime directed at certain factions. I've always believed in the "Golden Rule".

Foxglove
12-19-2011, 08:36 AM
I've always thought of myself as a Christian, but have a hard time understanding all of the hatred that is sometime directed at certain factions. I've always believed in the "Golden Rule".

I do, too, but unfortunately there's different versions of this rule. E.g., "Those who have the gold make the rules." Or, "Do unto others before they do unto you."

Cindi Johnson
12-19-2011, 11:34 AM
Like many here, I was raised Catholic, went to Catholic school, alter boy, etc., etc..., and for the most part I loved the church. But that was many years ago.

Now, here in Minnesota, all the Catholic Church seems able to do is rant about gays, and in particular a gay marriage amendment up for vote next year. What a letdown; an institution with such potential for good chooses to spread only hate.

Anyway, I realized long ago that "God" as He is presumed to be in all religions is simply a myth. Not even a very interesting myth, at that. But I don't believe that my transgenderism impacted that decision at all. Facts, scientifically proven facts, leave no room for any other conclusion.

Nigella
12-19-2011, 12:08 PM
Religion is not a M2F Topic, if members want to discuss religious matters, please join the dedicated religious forum, Thread done