PDA

View Full Version : Crossdressing and finances

Brittany CD
12-21-2011, 01:16 PM
So, I've worn women's clothes numerous times, but I don't actually own my own. There's some clothing stores I could go to, but it seems expensive. I'm a 20-year old student and therefore on a budget, so I don't really know what to do. I've been looking for a couple of dresses, heeled shoes, and a bra. Any advice on what to do would be great

Thanks girls

Abbey Lane
12-21-2011, 01:32 PM
Go to Goodwill stores or Salvation Army thrift stores. Plus you'll get to try them on. You'll find great bargains and won't break your budget. But yes clothes are very expensive. Good luck to you.

kimdl93
12-21-2011, 01:36 PM
Abbey's suggestion is exactly right. Goodwill is a great place to start building a wardrobe. Later, as you get out on your own, financially speaking, you can start shopping in more expensive stores, you'll have a much better idea of what works for you...and avoid some of the really nasty wardrobe accidents we've all experienced!

Katie83
12-21-2011, 01:58 PM
I find that ebay is a great source of cheap clothes, and you don't have to see people face to face if you wanted to avoid that. Katie has her own ebay account so others can't see my feedback!
Katie

linda allen
12-21-2011, 02:01 PM
I'm wearing a skirt that cost $3.49 at a Goodwill thrift store. I'm sure it cost the original owner $30.00 or more. I never found shoes my size at a thrift store so I'm wearing shoes from Payless. Under $20.00. Tights from Walmart.

IamSara
12-21-2011, 02:08 PM
Abbey is correct those are the best places to go when on a budget. Have fun with it and rememeber do it in moderation so you will not break the bank.

CrossBound
12-21-2011, 02:10 PM
I don't know if they have a Kmart near you, but when I was in school I used to work at Kmart and we would clearance clothes all the time. Tops and bottoms would go as low as $2-3. I notice Walmart and Target does not clearance their clothes like Kmart.

erickka
12-21-2011, 02:13 PM
Hi Katie. The girls are right about Goodwill, etc. Great places and they have unattended changing rooms with LOCKS! Lots and lots to choose from, and they always run a color of the week special (1/2 off the tag price) and some run a first saturday of the month where any item of clothing or shoes is only $0.99! Good luck, and if you find something great, we want pics!!

SANDRA MICHELLE
12-21-2011, 02:13 PM
Agreed, thrift stores and Goodwill are good places to start. I have also bought many shoes for under 20.00 at Payless, since they don't get worn everyday they stay really nice looking and I can wear them when I get the chance. You should be able to get all the necessities for easily under 100.00, have family and friends get you gift cards or when they buy you clothes for presents go trade them in for clothes you really want, AKA fem things. It's still before X-Mas so call all your family and tell them you need clothes for your presents at X-Mas and then you can go afterwards on a great shopping spree.

StevieTV
12-21-2011, 06:14 PM
Go to Goodwill stores or Salvation Army thrift stores. Plus you'll get to try them on. You'll find great bargains and won't break your budget. But yes clothes are very expensive. Good luck to you.

Yep! Totally agree. Value Village is great and non-judgemental. I've been there in drab and purchased clothes and heels. Biggest cost saver...try the item on before you buy!!!

DanaR
12-21-2011, 06:20 PM
Thrift stores can be a good place to find some deals, but I've decided the sales racks are even better. I've been burnt a few times with used clothes purchases and didn't realize it until later. Walmart seems to be a good place to get some values, they have some good deals on the clearance racks. One of my favorite places is Macy's though. A couple of days after Christmas would be a great time to go out clothes shopping.

Cynthia Anne
12-21-2011, 06:25 PM
I totally agree with the rest of the girls! Just remember you don't have to buy a whole wardrobe at once! Buy a couple of items a month and you will be fine! Hugs!

Launa
12-21-2011, 07:07 PM
What can be real helpful is if you start with a wig and a pair of black heels because black shoes generaly go with anything. Then find a GG friend to go to the thrift stores to help you find things that flow together and can be switched around, mixed and matched with other items of clothes. My first mistakes were going to Penningtons by myself and buying a couple of 80.00 dresses that looked like crap. The only GG's that would have worn them would have been the first pilgrims off the boat from England in the 1500's. My second mistake was buying stuff meant for trannies on line. Once I put them on I looked like a sleazy drag queen and it cost a lot of money. So find a GG to help you shop and look how you should. After that you can get into buying prom dresses and such...

Sally24
12-21-2011, 08:51 PM
One thing that I've noted is that certain thrift stores are more likely to carry better quality clothing. Sometimes you just have to visit around until you find one that seems to have the styles and quality that you like. Trying things on first is the best option to find clothing that fits you well and looks good.

Stephenie S
12-21-2011, 09:12 PM
So, I've worn women's clothes numerous times, but I don't actually own my own. There's some clothing stores I could go to, but it seems expensive. I'm a 20-year old student and therefore on a budget, so I don't really know what to do. I've been looking for a couple of dresses, heeled shoes, and a bra. Any advice on what to do would be great

Thanks girls

So I wonder what a 20 year old student needs with a couple of dresses and heeled shoes. The bra I get. But look around you. What are your female classmates wearing? I'll bet it's not dresses and heels.

But whatever THEY are wearing, that's what you want to find. Probably jeans and a nice top. Clothes like that are MUCH easier for you to find around campus. AND if you shop carefully you can get stuff that will do double duty. Crossdressing for you as a student may be only the bra, a bit of jewelry, earrings, and some lip gloss. MUCH easier (and cheaper) than for older folk.

Stephie

Karren H
12-21-2011, 09:37 PM
Take half of what you plan to spend on fem clothing and put it into a saving account or open an IRA. Save early and save often. Your going to need that income later more than you need a new dress now! Seriously.

JenniferR771
12-21-2011, 09:55 PM
Take a look at shopgoodwill dot com
Also regular thrift stores are fun. Sizes are a bit of a guess; sometimes correct sometimes not. Size 18 is sometimes found in the small rack. So shop carefully. After a few trips to get familiar. I introduced myself. Now they say "Hi Jennifer" when I walk in. I tried on two wedding dresses last week, and they helped me zip up--or at least tried--it was marked size 10, but I suspect it was size 6.

giuseppina
12-21-2011, 10:01 PM
The ladies above have good ideas. However, I'm a bit wary of Ebay, as shipping and border crossing fees can be significant.

Unfortuneately, Kmart is no longer in business in Canada.

GeminaRenee
12-21-2011, 10:05 PM
Someone mentioned the Salvation Army as a good place to shop. While it's true that deals can be found there, it's also worth noting that the Army is a notorious advocate of anti-LBGT policies. While many of us identify as straight, it's safe to say that our 'alternative' lifestyle may easily be lumped under that same umbrella. I'm not trying to tell anyone where to shop, but we have an opportunity, as a group that lies outside the mainstream current of society, to stand up for another minority against those who would tell us all how to live our lives. Goodwill doesn't have this same nasty reputation, and would seem a better alternative thrift store option. Just some food for thought!

http://www.lgbtqnation.com/2011/12/the-salvation-army-ringing-anti-gay-bells-this-holiday-season/

Krista1985
12-21-2011, 10:15 PM
Thrift stores, Salvo and goodwill are all great options,

But I've got two important words to add... Old Navy! Cheap clothes but decent styles, that's where I got a lot of my stuff. Most of it worked out, some items didn't, but even the 'failed experiments' didn't set me back too much. I know what it's like to be on a budget, but when I shop there I feel rich! You'll find everything you want there, except the heels. I think beach sandals are as far as they dive into the shoe pool. Happy hunting!

Brittany CD
12-21-2011, 11:50 PM
So I wonder what a 20 year old student needs with a couple of dresses and heeled shoes. The bra I get. But look around you. What are your female classmates wearing? I'll bet it's not dresses and heels.

I just like wearing them. Dresses and heels I just find to be so nice to wear