PDA

View Full Version : Had the "talk" with my son

ReneeT
12-24-2011, 07:15 AM
The oldest of my two children is my son, who is 18 and a freshman in college. He is the last in my immediate family who doesnt know about my gender non-conformity. I have wanted to tell him for some time, but finding the right time has been a challenge. Well, he is home on Christmas break and we were alone together last night, so i took the opportunity. I told him everything, with lots of explaining and lots of space for questions. He took it very, very well. We talked for several hours, had tears and hugs, but reaffirmed our love for each othe. I know he will have questions and concerns, but so far so good.....

Jordie
12-24-2011, 07:34 AM
Renee,

I'm glad everything went well in the first conversation with your son. His reaction is nothing more than the reflection of the love, respect and understanding you have given to your son as a parent. Congratulations !!

Enjoy the holidays !

Raychel
12-24-2011, 08:15 AM
This can be a very scary thing, You never know how people will take the news. I am glad that all went well for you. Merry Christmas.

Miranda09
12-24-2011, 09:42 AM
Sounded like you handled it beautifully Renee. Hope all goes well down the road. :hugs:

Julia_in_Pa
12-24-2011, 10:37 AM
Renee,

I've seen so many that refrain from telling loved one's about who and what they actually are.

It causes high levels of stress to the person that is procrastinating.

I've always said that when you transition everyone around you transitions as well.

It's wonderful to hear that the revelation to your son was successful.

Continue to be open and honest and you will minimize future issues.

Julia

Teri Jean
12-24-2011, 12:16 PM
It is really hard to make that step but it looks as if you did well. I wish you the best.

IamSara
12-24-2011, 12:32 PM
I am so glad you were able to have a talk with him. I hope all goes well as this sinks in for him. I know my kids are supportive but there is absolutely no conversation about my gender issues other than with my wife.
Merry Cristmas and Happy New Years!

Melody Moore
12-24-2011, 01:07 PM
You have done all you can do. It is a shame that things like this have to sometimes come out
during the festive season, however sometimes you have very little choice. I hope he doesn't
see this as the worst day of his life, but rather as the first day in a new happy future.
:hugs:

Starling
12-24-2011, 02:23 PM
Renee, I think it was very wise of you to have this challenging talk with your son in the holiday season, when we are powerfully reminded to treat one another with love and compassion. Good for you!

:) Lallie

AllieSF
12-24-2011, 02:41 PM
Congratulations Renee. Now that the hard ones are out of the way, who are next in line to find out? I wish you the best and a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

StaceyJane
12-24-2011, 03:19 PM
I glad every went so well.
Children often love their parents no matter what
I've been lucky to have support from my daughters.