PDA

View Full Version : Getting Farther "Out"

kimdl93
12-27-2011, 12:43 PM
Regular readers may recall that I came out to my youngest step daughter back in July. Her opinion then was I should dress as I wished, whether she was there or not. She moved on to a new job, out of state, but returned last week for the Christmas holiday.

The morning after she arrived I was dressed in my typical femme casual style - womens jeans, a red henley top, sandals w/2 1/2" heels and of course foundation garments, forms, wig, etc. She got up after sleeping in late, and I heard her milling about. Rather than switching back to femme, I decided to just be mayself. So walked into the kitchen while she was there, to get a cup of coffee. She, of course saw how I was dressed, but didn't react with the least surprise at my appearance. We went on to have a long conversation about everything going on in her life, and not a word about my clothes. I was relievd that our relationship remained positive and that she was entirely accepting of my dressing.

Later that afternoon, she invited one of her friends over to exchange gifts. He showed up as she and I were visiting by the pool. He didn't react at all to seeing me en femme. We chatted a bit - just normal stuff. After he left she apologized for not giving me a heads up, and assured me that he was perfectly ok with the way I looked. And honeslty, I didn't feel the slightest bit embarrassed or surprised when he came in - so I told her its no problem.

Interesting how easy it can be. Wish every encounter could be so.

Marleena
12-27-2011, 01:33 PM
Kim I'm happy this is going so well for you, 2012 will be even better.:) This is another nice story of acceptance. I think as long as the majority of us don't dress like drag queens and try to blend in instead things will be even better. The doors are opening for us and our own confidence and attitude are important going forward.

ArleneRaquel
12-27-2011, 02:13 PM
A wonderful story, love & understanding always warms my heart.

jillleanne
12-27-2011, 03:57 PM
I'm happy for you Kim and always love hearing these stories.

vikki2020
12-27-2011, 03:59 PM
Hey Kim,
Seems like you are just about past the point of being "out"! You are through the door, hun! The 4th dimension?:daydreaming:

Claire Cook
12-27-2011, 04:36 PM
Kim,

It's great about your daughter, and that her friend was so cool with it. Isn't it wonderful how acceptance, or at least tolerance, raises both our comfort level and that of those we are with?

sissystephanie
12-27-2011, 04:46 PM
Kim, your story is really great. It shows how easy acceptance is if we just let it happen. Too many of us worry about things that we really can't control, like whether or not we will be accepted when dressed enfemme! If you don't try it you will never know! Now you do know for sure, and it has to be comfortable for you!! Happy New Years to you!!

paula123
12-27-2011, 05:06 PM
wish i had the confidence to com out it would so much enjoyable

PretzelGirl
12-28-2011, 09:17 AM
It is nice when those around you are comfortable. It makes it easier to relax and be yourself. It sounds like your comfort level is pretty high. It wouldn't be hard to be a nervous wreck the first time one of our kid's friends came over.

Diana Bain
12-28-2011, 10:24 AM
Kim, great story. Acceptance by those you love is priceless...but I also see someone who is at peace with who they are...happy new year!

kimdl93
12-29-2011, 03:51 PM
Thanks to each of you for your positive comments. I certainly do feel far more at peace with myself these days than ever in the past. Perhaps, Its true, we sometimes needlessly worry about the unknown. Of course, I have to credit these young people for being far more open minded and accepting than many of the generations that precede them.

Kaitlyn Michele
12-29-2011, 06:48 PM
I'm happy for you! That's really nice to be able to share!

Kristy_K
12-29-2011, 07:13 PM
That is so cool to hear Kim. I am very happy for you. She sounds like a wonderful person.