PDA

View Full Version : I saw my bra on the TSA screen!

Claire Cook
12-27-2011, 05:04 PM
We’ve had numerous posts about flying pretty and TSA experiences, but here is one I had last week that is both informative and puzzling. Sue and I flew from Melbourne (FL) to Washington National. I was en drab, but wearing a minimalist bra (small 34A, no lining, no padding, no underwire) under my undershirt and long sleeve shirt. I went through the body scanner, and happened to see the screen that the TSA agent was watching. There were the bra cups and the rear hook area – and nothing else! The TSA agent asked to pat down my back and chest (this always happens when I am underdressed.)

So a couple of questions for any of you who may be TSA-savvy: (1). Howcum only the bra showed up, and not my T-shirt? (2) Do they have a separate setting for males and females for the scanners? (I mean, does the screen show every bra, or is there a “female” setting that ignores them?)

For any of you who may have a similar experience in the future, my advice – no worries, as my Aussie friends say. Who cares if the TSA agent knows you are wearing a bra? Actually, it was pretty funny. When I got through Sue asked me what the hassle was. I told her “You won’t believe this, but the TSA scanner picked up my bra.” Well, I got this great look from the lady sitting next to her. She asked “It did?” I said “It did indeed – I wonder if everyone’s bra shows on the screen.” She had a good laugh at that. I think there is a moral here – being outed shouldn’t be embarrassing – it ought to be fun! I have fun when I’m dressed, and I’d like to think we bring fun to others as well.

sandra-leigh
12-27-2011, 05:54 PM
Bras would typically be denser than T-shirts.

Based upon my general science knowledge, I can think of several different potential detection techniques. Gah... I just realized that I am probably Not Allowed to reveal the possibilities that just came to mind :sigh:

Claire Cook
12-27-2011, 06:05 PM
Bras would typically be denser than T-shirts.

This was a really skimpy bra -- certainly less dense than the cotton T-shirt I was wearing.

kellycan27
12-27-2011, 06:25 PM
Maybe that's why your mom always told you to make sure you wore clean underwear,,, ya never know :heehee:

DonnaT
12-27-2011, 06:50 PM
Yes, the scanners work based on density of material. You may think the bra isn't very dense, but the scanner proves otherwise. Evidently the scanner used backscatter (reflection) technology, and seams will show, even on t-shirts, if you know what you are looking for.

However, the TSA agent monitoring the screen is not supposed to be able to see you except on the monitor, so a bra outline should only suggest a female passenger. Heck, your not even supposed to be able to see the screen or the person monitoring the screen.

Jonianne
12-27-2011, 06:54 PM
A little different track, but wasn't it suppost to be that the TSA personel watching the monitor had to do it in a separate room where they could not see the passenger live, much less the passenger seeing her own picture?

EDIT: Sorry Donna, I guess we were connected on the same wave!

sandra-leigh
12-27-2011, 06:56 PM
This was a really skimpy bra -- certainly less dense than the cotton T-shirt I was wearing.

Ah, in that case I think it falls under Things I Can't Talk About :sad: Not that I have any knowledge of how it is done, but I'd rather not risk spending a decade or two in Cuba.

PaulaDallas
12-27-2011, 07:02 PM
I went through that scanner braless, but the thing picked up my empty shirt pocket. So the agent had to feel up my "boob."

Clueless
12-27-2011, 08:38 PM
There is a few ways you can "see" thru clothing.

One way would be with passive thermal imaging. Thermal Imaging (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_imaging/) detects minute differences in temperature. FLIR (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Forward_looking_infrared/) (Forward Looking Infra Red) is a form of thermal imaging that you can see in vids from police helicopters during pursuits. That's not to be confused with IR or starlight night vision, which uses light (visible & invisible) not heat. Some IR night vision scopes or even older video recorders can see thru some clothes, depending on their sensitivity range. The body temp is hotter than clothing & can be seen, depending on: ambient temp, outer clothing density &/or material. Underclothes like a bra would be hotter than a loose T-shirt worn over it. TI can see thru some walls & detect "hot spots" inside like people. That was done during the 1993 Waco seige.

Another way would be using Electromagnetic Radiation (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_radiation/), such as X-rays, etc. I would guess that it would have to be a powerful very high frequency wavelength beam to be able do that without deadly ionizing radiation. The beam could be altered to detect or ignore different clothing types. Prolly not so good to be nuking your body's important little DNA bits with any type of EMR IMO. Lead foil clothing may protect your cell's genetic data, but would look a bit suspicious.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_spectrum

Karren H
12-27-2011, 09:30 PM
I always opt out of the full body scans... And go fo the pat downs... Ya never know in 20 years one boob might get smaller than the other! Lol.

JenniferR771
12-27-2011, 09:31 PM
Drab. I was surprised that I had to remove my wallet and get back in line, as it has no metal. Last month TSA picked up a couple red spots on my t-shirt near my shoulder blades in the scan machine. 5 seconds of pat down and I was on my way.

Beth Mays
12-27-2011, 09:37 PM
:devil:
Put on a Kilt and op for a pat down...

sissystephanie
12-27-2011, 11:08 PM
Although you cannot always feel it most bras have some wire in them, even though they may not be underwire ones. That is what is picked up on the TSA screens. A Tee shirt would not normally have any wire in it. Of course, with an artificial shoulder and a pacemaker I always get a patdown. And since I am always wearing a bra, I just tell the person that I am wearing one. Never have had a problem about it!

Vickie_CDTV
12-28-2011, 08:03 AM
Statistically, if one uses a very conservative estimate of 1 in 1000 males crossdress then seeing a bra on a man (even presenting as a man) is probably not uncommon. They might even say it everyday.

It is funny, I have a friend who wears a corset every single day (she might even sleep in it.) Years ago she was nervous about going through the old type metal detecter type scanners, so instead of a corset she wrapped her abdomen up tight with saran wrap! Nowadays I would imagine this would be far more suspect than actually wearing a corset (even if one is male.)

NV Susan
12-28-2011, 01:45 PM
All this is why if I can't drive, I don't go.....

Beverley Sims
12-28-2011, 04:07 PM
Blame Superman, he started all this x-ray vision stuff.

Claire Cook
12-29-2011, 06:45 AM
A little different track, but wasn't it suppost to be that the TSA personel watching the monitor had to do it in a separate room where they could not see the passenger live, much less the passenger seeing her own picture?

EDIT: Sorry Donna, I guess we were connected on the same wave!

In the MLB airport, the monitor was right by the scanner, so I couldn't nit miss it. Gee, it looked like I was wearing a bikini!

I went through that scanner braless, but the thing picked up my empty shirt pocket. So the agent had to feel up my "boob."

Hmmm .. maybe we need to have more shirt pockets!

I always opt out of the full body scans... And go fo the pat downs... Ya never know in 20 years one boob might get smaller than the other! Lol.

Karren, it's funny -- I only get chest patdowns when I'm underdressed, if I'm flying pretty, they'll check my butt and hip padding, but never my forms. Kind of a kick when a female agent checks my hips and thighs.

Although you cannot always feel it most bras have some wire in them, even though they may not be underwire ones. That is what is picked up on the TSA screens. A Tee shirt would not normally have any wire in it. Of course, with an artificial shoulder and a pacemaker I always get a patdown. And since I am always wearing a bra, I just tell the person that I am wearing one. Never have had a problem about it!

Yep, just what I do, and I've never had a negative reaction. Maybe enough of us are doing this now so that they take it in stride -- let's hope so!

Blame Superman, he started all this x-ray vision stuff.

:heehee: Of course, it's all his fault! "Pink, isn't it Lois?" How about wearing a lead-lined bra?

Thanks to all for your comments. The bottom line here is that yes, our bras will be seen, and yes, that's cool and yes, admit it and be proud! How did the old ad go? "I dreamed I filled up the screen with my Maidenform bra."

Kaz
12-29-2011, 07:04 AM
I went to germany via Schipol earlier in the month. I wasn't wearing a bra because I was worried about this issue, but was wearing holdups and a thong. Yeah, the scanner went off and i had a pat down... but the guy must have felt the holdups and he went inside my trousers at the waist and will have detected the thong (my shirt was outside my pants!)! Felt strange but oddly OK!

PretzelGirl
12-29-2011, 11:57 AM
You do know that those scanners pump out up to 1000 times more radiation then a chest x-ray right??

Sounds like a myth. An interesting quote from this article that actually mentions "1000 times": "You would have to go through scanners more than 1,000 times in one year to even meet the maximum recommended level — and even pilots don't do that."

http://www.usatoday.com/yourlife/health/medical/cancer/2010-11-18-scanner-radiation_N.htm

Claire, I am a bit surprised that you could see one monitor. So it would seem that being underdressed is one thing, but padding could create a puzzling view for the agent.

DeeInGeorgia
12-29-2011, 10:37 PM
The new body scanners use a type of radio reflection similar only loosely to radar to see thru clothing. No xrays involved. The device has a settings for male and female. If male is selected, anything that deviates from traditional male underclothing (like bras, thongs, guns, knives, etc.) will get highlighted in a block type way.

froggyspad
12-29-2011, 11:04 PM
(2) Do they have a separate setting for males and females for the scanners? (I mean, does the screen show every bra, or is there a “female” setting that ignores them?) .

yes. They do have separate settings. I fly often for work and I watched how they started the machine. They have two buttons...male or female. I don't know what the differences would be other than less detail in the chest area.

One a semi related note: what do they select if they aren't sure of the gender I wonder?