PDA

View Full Version : piercing ears worth it?

Janelle_C
12-31-2011, 01:15 AM
I'm 53 and I make some of my own clip on earrings. I thought of piercing my ears but at 53 peaple would think I was going though my mid life and that's OK but right now I don't go out fully dressed. But it would be a little cool, I just don't know.:battingeyelashes::battingeyelashes:

Brynn_A
12-31-2011, 01:21 AM
Well, I'm 51, just had my second holes done and frankly..love them and moved on. It's all about waht works for you.

Misti
12-31-2011, 01:28 AM
Piercing ears worth it?

Don't know yet, but it sure is on the top of my Bucket List, though! :D

AllieSF
12-31-2011, 01:31 AM
That is the exact reason I use when asked why I pierced my ears. I answer, I missed my mid-life crisis and am trying to catch up. People will look and some will ask, but most just don't "give a damn, Scarlett"! I got my ears pierced 3 years ago in my 60's, so, "it is never too late".

Rachel Morley
12-31-2011, 01:34 AM
But it would be a little cool, I just don't know.:battingeyelashes::battingeyelashes:
Do it ! .... life's too short for regrets ... and oh, yes, piercing my ears was the best thing. I wear gold studs in boy mode all the time.

Longing2be-Trisha
12-31-2011, 02:00 AM
Just got my ears pierced and love them that way!

Hugs

KaTanya
12-31-2011, 02:04 AM
Given the amount of body modification going on, most people probably won't bat an eye if you get them pierced and go with something subdued like gold/silver studs or even tight hoops enhomme; switch to the fancier styles enfemme.

Oh, and be sure to follow hygeine procedures until the holes "close" properly. The piercer will fill you in.

johanna.kitten
12-31-2011, 02:09 AM
Yes, I would see it as a way forward. I did two in my left at the age of 13 (long time ago) and had my right done just some 6 weeks ago. It brings joy to my life.
You should be aware that the crappy pieces they put in there to begin with, you have to wear for 4-6 weeks before taking them out or replace with what you want.
On a personal note, I would prefer to have it done by needle not gun.

/Johanna

noeleena
12-31-2011, 02:27 AM
Hi,

Well our daughter buys for me earings so i have to wear them now dont .i so yes get them done , & so what many people do , no big deal & they do look nicer as well. this xmas she gave me two sets & neckless & they are lovely ,

...noeleena...

Sally24
12-31-2011, 07:23 AM
I was 53 when I had mine done. I just told every one the truth. I've wanted to do it since I was 18! Many younger guys routinely get both ears pierced. It's not as big a deal as you think. I really enjoy them in guy mode and girl mode! I would get ten done at a piercing shop and not at a retail store though.

Nicola
12-31-2011, 07:31 AM
Go for it and have them pierced.
I had both mine pierced in my late forties.
When I wear small studs in guy mode nobody seems to notice.
When, like now, I am dressed and in Nicola mode I can wear nice dangly earings and it feels great.

Nicola

Rachel Lea
12-31-2011, 07:46 AM
I'm 53 and I make some of my own clip on earrings. I thought of piercing my ears but at 53 peaple would think I was going though my mid life and that's OK but right now I don't go out fully dressed. But it would be a little cool, I just don't know.:battingeyelashes::battingeyelashes:
Just a comment: The antique stores have quite a few non-pierced earrings which are very pretty, plus you get to shop.

debbeelee1
12-31-2011, 07:55 AM
I was about 53 when I got mine pierced and that was...well, a long time ago!

Go for it! Once they heal up, you don't have to wear then all the time.

Maria 60
12-31-2011, 08:03 AM
I always had one ear pierced and i seen a lot of the younger guys at work had both ears done and they told me it's in style to have both ears done. I always wanted big loop earrings but could never find them in clip on so a few month back i had my second ear done and couldn't wait for the five weeks so i was able to wear any earring. I now have the option of wearing any earring and have bought many different styles, and my first purchase was big loops.

Carroll
12-31-2011, 08:05 AM
I have 4 holes and have had them since 2001. The only comment ever made was by my mother. She asked why and I said why not

Claire Cook
12-31-2011, 08:49 AM
Yes, definitely not too late. I had mine done last year (67) and wish I had done it years ago. My mother had hers done after 60 as well .. and I now wear some of her earrings.

You won't regret it!

KARI AN
12-31-2011, 08:59 AM
Go for it I did mine after I retired and people are always telling me how great they look. Iam glad I did it like others have said life is too short its time to move out and enjoy it

Cynthia Anne
12-31-2011, 09:08 AM
My ears have been triple periced for twenty five years and still loving it! Wouldn't change it for nutin'! Hugs!

drag n fly
12-31-2011, 09:18 AM
I had mine done at 65, about a year and a half ago...Now wearing 2 to 4 gauge 1/2 inch rings...I've been thinking of getting another set of holes...Maybe...smooches jackie

Barbra P
12-31-2011, 09:54 AM
Well if at 53 “people would think I was going through my mid life” I wonder what they think of me at 68? I had mine done this year and truth be told I was only 67 at the time, about a week after Father’s Day. My Daughter and two grandkids went with me when I had them and when I came home my Wife asked where I had them done and to this day she is the only person that has commented on my pierced ears.

For Father’s Day my Daughter bought me a pedicure and and I walked out with painted toenails. I have worn flip-flop and sandals ever since and only one person has commented on my toes and that was my eye doctor. Well this week I went in to see a Doctor because I had Conjunctivitis and the Nurse who took my vitals said “Your BP is fine , , , and your wearing open-toed shoes” and smiled – I’m guessing she noticed my toes. I passed another nurse in the hall and she did a rather classic double-take and then gave me this big grin.

People either don’t notice, don’t care, mind their own business, or figure it would be impolite to ask. I went with my Wife to a retirement luncheon for one of her past co-workers who was retiring from Civil Service. The woman worked on a Marine base and the recently retired marine sitting across the table was wearing earrings, as were several active Marines (in civilian clothes).

I have only one regret about having my ears pierced and that is that I didn’t have them done sooner. Well, maybe two regrets, the little gold balls I wear in boy-mode are a bit boring, I much prefer the hoops and dangles that I get to wear as Babs. I can’t speak for anyone else but I find putting on pierced earrings and the feel while wearing them more feminine than clip-ons.

Annie D
12-31-2011, 09:58 AM
Mid-life crisis? How about a whole life crisis? Get your ears pierced and be done with it. In two years you will have wished you had them done when you were 53 because now at 55who gets their ears pierced? I'll tell you who; the people who got their ears pierced earlier in life are getting their second and third ones done. Let me share with you the reasons why you should do it now:

1. You ain't getting any younger,
2. better selection of earring to choose from,
3. you can wear pierced earrings as a male 24/7,
4. ALL the girls have theirs pierced,
5. did I say you ain't getting any younger?

I went to a physical education convention in Dallas during the first of December and the number of male p.e. teachers/coaches who had their ears pierced was around 1 in 3. One male teacher sported medium length hair, a goatee, two pierced ears and a brown plastic hair band.

My suggestion based upon this presentation would be to grow a mustache or light beard or a goatee, get your ears pierced and tell everyone that you are trying to change your look. Then after the 6 weeks of keeping the studs in, just shave or let your facial hair grow during the week and shave Friday night for a girl's week end.

Did I say "you ain't getting any younger?"

susan13
12-31-2011, 10:17 AM
I think as long as you have ears it's not to late lol. I'm 61 and got mine done 5 months ago and I love them. I have hair that hangs below my shoulders ( yes I still have some hair ) down and I love how it looks having my ear rings peck out from behind the hair.

Diana Bain
12-31-2011, 10:43 AM
I'm 59 and just had mine pierced. Beats the heck out of clip on's...regular earings slip in very easily and they feel and look great. I wear silver studs in my guy mode and nobby has said a word...

S. Lisa Smith
12-31-2011, 11:09 AM
I had mine done at 55. Please do yourself a favor and do it!! I LOVE pierced ears and the earrings I can now purchase.

Cheryl T
12-31-2011, 11:27 AM
Did mine at 54 and wonder why I waited so long.
No one batted an eyelash or even asked why.

Now both are double pierced, I wear diamond studs in the uppers all the time and small hoops in the lowers on occasion when drab and no one ever says a thing.

Stephanie-L
12-31-2011, 11:33 AM
I got mine done for my 52nd birthday, and wish I had gotten them done years ago. I get about 1 or 2 comments a week at work from people who finally notice them and I just tell them it was a midlife thing, they make a joke, I laugh, and that is it. One other good thing besides what has been mentioned is that my wife will now buy me earrings for presents, instead of me only buying them for her, LOL. Go ahead and do it........................Stephanie

sandra-leigh
12-31-2011, 11:51 AM
You might want to read my one-year retrospect (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?123106-Ear-piercing-in-retrospect) that I posted about my experiences.

Krista Doll
12-31-2011, 12:12 PM
I've had mine done for quite a few years (done about age 38 now 56) have three holes two on the left and one on the right and wanting too get one more on each side. Its on my bucket list.

Lorileah
12-31-2011, 12:36 PM
I think I had it done 11 years ago. I also got a small tattoo on my ankle. Both were considered "gay" or "effeminate" at the time. You could have one ear done ( and make sure it was the correct side because it was a flag) but not both so when I had both done people asked why? I said, if I was going to have one why not both? That ended that and now men with both is the "norm". I have many earrings and I would not go back to clip ons.

Jay Cee
12-31-2011, 12:57 PM
Your ears, your money, your life. Go for it. It's so common these days that it won't ellicit too many comments. It's totally worth it, just for the variety of earrings you'll have access to. Just make sure to keep the studs in, and keep the piercings clean.

IamSara
12-31-2011, 01:08 PM
Don't know yet, but it sure is on the top of my Bucket List, though! :D

DITTO!!!!!!! I want to get mine done very badly but in the business I am in, I can't wear them at all. I am never home long enough for them to stay in and not close up before I can put them back in. I have been told just taking them out long enough to work say a 12 hr shift is too long in the first 6 weeks. But one day I hope.

Annie D
12-31-2011, 01:30 PM
To IamSara and to all; I am a volleyball coach and several of my high school players and my club players get their ears pierced at an inappropriate time (during the season) and they are not allowed to wear them warming up or during a match. If they are caught by the referees (and they look for jewelry, even belly button when their jersey flies up) I am charged with a time out. Therefore I instruct my girls to go to Claire's or Icing and get several of those plastic stud inserts. I think that 1/2 dozen costs less than $10. Unless you get about 6 inches from the ear and are looking straight at it they are virtually invisible. Additionally a small dab of concealer over hole and stud really makes it hard to see. In the past 3 years, over 60 matches a year combined, I have not been charged with a delay of the set timeout.

MissMarcie
12-31-2011, 02:53 PM
But it would be a little cool, I just don't know.

Ask any girl here who has worn a pair of pierced 4" hoops and you'll get your answer.
YES...do it!

sandra-leigh
12-31-2011, 02:58 PM
Your ears, your money, your life. Go for it. It's so common these days that it won't ellicit too many comments.

Jay Cee, when you got yours done, how did things go on your job?

Crysten
12-31-2011, 03:08 PM
I was considering getting my entire head pierced but none of the shops seem to offer this service. Wonder why not.

Lynn Marie
12-31-2011, 03:59 PM
Okay, so I'll go a little against the grain here. I don't have pierced ears and am not planning on getting them pierced. I like the 50's styles and consider myself a 50's throwback. I love clip-ons and modify earings I like to clips. It's very important to adjust the tension of the clips for your ears. It's pretty easy to do, but scares some people.

Ladies in the 50's wore clip-on earings. I love the feeling of long dangling clip-ons.

danielle74
01-01-2012, 12:18 AM
i had both my ears pierced when i was 21 on my birthday. was the best decision i ever made! i highly recommend getting them pierced,the feeling of wearing long dangling earrings or huge 4 inch hoop earrings is sensational! i wear diamond studs in guy mode and usually huge hoops in danielle mode!

Cally
01-01-2012, 01:10 AM
I'm 55 and just had mine done about 4 days ago. Had them done by needle in a piercing and tattoo place that was all government certified. No problems. The studs slide around nicely and they are all clean so far.

I have no regrets. They look great and if someone says something, I'll just smile and say "you think they look nice, you should see my other one" and watch them wince.

And No, I only had my ears done. :-)

marlacd
01-01-2012, 01:46 AM
I'm going to have mine done in a couple of weeks. Now, the "involuntary piercings" that I've had were never any fun, and quite painfull. (Nail gun misfires!)

April_Ligeia
01-01-2012, 02:39 AM
Oh yeah, it feels really good, I wear zero gauge plugs in both ears which are more comfortable than 'traditional' earrings. I also have my labret and tongue pierced (14 gauge), I love both if them, too.

Michelle8
01-01-2012, 01:46 PM
I have double pierced ears and tow wear dangling or large hoops make me
feel so feminine

janet p
01-03-2012, 09:27 AM
I had mine done about three yrs ago when I was 62. The only problem I had was that was just before my granddaughter was born and when she was starting to get eye/ hand movement she thought the small hoops were great to put her finger in and yank after the second time and a very sore ear I took them out and figured I'd wait until she was older to do it again.

Nichola
01-03-2012, 09:44 AM
I had mine done when I was twenty, I had the left pierced then had the right pierced a few weeks later. It takes about 6 weeks to heal, I never wear any in boy mode now so the holes are barely noticeable. It is nice when I dress though so I do think it's worth it.
Be prepared for a few comments, but you could always take them out when they heal & just wear them when you dress.

Jilmac
01-03-2012, 09:58 AM
I would say go for it, I was 63 when I finally got mine pierced and have no regrets. I wear my rhinestone studs 24/7 and only take them out when I want to wear something pretty along with pretty earrings.

JessHaust
01-03-2012, 01:12 PM
Must be something about our '50's. I pierced one ear in college (the late '70's) and finally just did the other one a few months ago.(now 53)
I get no questions, looks or remarks. Think about all the buys you see these days with both ears done, some with several earrings. The once that grate me wrong are the gauges, where they slowly add bigger and bigger inserts until their earlobe makes a hoop all by itself. Oh we all have quirks!

Acastina
01-03-2012, 01:30 PM
I'm going to have mine done in a couple of weeks. Now, the "involuntary piercings" that I've had were never any fun, and quite painfull. (Nail gun misfires!)

Yow, Marla! Nail guns are DEFINITELY overkill for DIY piercing at home. I hope it wasn't a framing nailer...

I had both of mine done in my 30s, 30 years ago; no big deal. They use a device something like a hole punch that leaves the stud in place. One of mine started to get infected while it was healing, and I knew it would close up if I left the stud out, so I packed the hole with Neosporin and put the stud back in. End of problem. Thirty years later, they can be a little tricky to poke the wire through, but no pain or irritation, and few little things make you feel as girly as dangling earrings can.

Polly R
01-04-2012, 04:21 PM
Well I'm another who left it until 60! Had mine done 6 months ago, I've several sets of clip-ons but the pain of wearing them for more than an hour or so finally made me decide to 'go for it'. Made sure it was a respectable, clean and experienced beauty parlour. They used the gun method - fresh piercing head each time, scrupulously clean. Click, click, done. No pain, well perhaps nothing more than say an elastic band snapping briefly against you. Followed the cleansing advice fully before trying proper rings. No problems at all... My SO is not 100% but tolerates.* I don't wear my studs at work but usually pop them back in when I get home to keep the holes open or put proper rings or danglers in when I morph into Polly.

It's YOUR choice but I think the overwhelming response has been to 'go for it gal'

xx Polly

* Bless her, whilst I didn't get any earings for Christmas, she did buy me a lovely necklace and some pink lippy... (and she's helped me choose earings when out shopping)

rata
01-04-2012, 05:05 PM
I got mine done 3 years ago (29yrs old) , and have no regrets. i mainly wear silver or gold studs.

Gerrijerry
01-04-2012, 05:12 PM
Yes pierced ears are worth having done. The choice of earrings is much larger also.

cdrandi
01-04-2012, 11:02 PM
I've been lurking here for quite a long time and I always laugh when I see the pierced ear comments come up...I've had double piercings for almost 16 years...and I rarely get comments about them as it's not that big of a deal anymore to see men with pierced ears. I occasionally get comments about having double piercings, and that's it. No one cares!

KELLYANN
01-05-2012, 01:19 AM
had mine done when i was 50. never will regret it. wear studs in male mode almost 24/7. had a few comments at first from friends and family, now nobody seems to even notice. it's just so common in this day and age. besides, clip-ons can be a pain in the lobe! i would go for it.

danielle74
01-07-2012, 05:21 AM
a simple highlight of getting your ears pierced is getting them done in a really girly place, hairdressing salon, local mall anywhere where lots of girls are watching you get your earrings done :)
dont worry you wont regret it!

Kaz
01-07-2012, 05:30 AM
Just do it! It is the only way to go!

Darlene-VA
01-07-2012, 01:07 PM
It is one thing that you will never regret!...being able to change out earrings is one of the best feelings ever

lillyfox
01-07-2012, 01:29 PM
Defiantly pierce your ears! I own a kajillion earrings and cant imagine life with out my favorite accessory lol you'll love the endless possibilities!

herwannabe
01-07-2012, 04:45 PM
Well I am 57 I pierced my ears 2 yrs ago. I only had one person say oh! you pierced your ears! I said yea, I JUST felt like doing it. I wear a dime size gold ring in my left ear and have since. Now I tell everyone I did it cause I wanted to and if ppl don't like it, that's tough $hiT. I don't care I did it for me not them. My hair is down past my shoulder blades and getting longer and the same goes :battingeyelashes:

kaela
01-07-2012, 08:50 PM
I grew up in the 90s so it was cool to have your ears pierced. now all the kids have these big holes??

Just do it. it adds so much to the girl in you

stephanieg
01-07-2012, 08:56 PM
It is worth it,I can wearing earring with no problems

ElaineB
01-08-2012, 03:10 PM
I have thought about piercing my ears at times... the problem would be the getting it done and the need to wear the posts 24/7 at first... not having holes that nobody will notice most of the time.

But... every time I think of it I ultimately come to the same answer. Why bother? Actually there are a lot of women out there who do NOT have pierced ears. I think the statistics are something like 30%. You can buy some quite nice clipon earrings (Cliptomania) including hoops and dangly things.

Elizebeth
01-08-2012, 03:15 PM
Love my pierced ears, these days no one bats a eye no matter what your age and ther are so many more earrings for pieced.

Pamela Kay
01-08-2012, 03:34 PM
I had mine done about a month ago with a needle at a piercing shop, haven't had any problems. Got small studs with Opal's in them. Caught a little ribbing at work for the first couple of days and not a word since. I'm 48 and highly recommend it.

You can bearly see them but I bought a matching earring/necklace set that's in my avatar picture.
The dangly earrings felt great.

Jeninus
01-08-2012, 09:35 PM
I'm 68, finally retired last year and got both of them pierced in early November. You have to wear little ball-style studs for 6 weeks, and I continue to wear them to keep things open until they're fully healed. But, I can wear the danglies when I want. I suppose one motivation was that it was a declaration of independence from the rather stuffy profession (at least for the men) I was in. The other was that I wanted to do it. When I have to meet my old colleagues I no longer need to wear the little clear plastic studs I bought from Piercing Pagoda, as the holes will now stay open and are virtually invisible - unless someone were to become uncomfortably intimate.

When I had them done I went to the Piercing Pagoda and watched a cute 10-year old girl get them pierced. She shed a couple of tears but then gave a brave little smile. I looked at my wife and said, "If that little kid can do it..." For Christmas we gave each other earrings. She prefers studs and I prefer the danglies, which are much easier to put in because you don't have to mess around trying to put the backer on. Anyway, it's worth it and you should just get er done.

Barbara Jo
01-09-2012, 10:28 AM
Too old to get them pierced?

Personally, the older I get the less I care about what most people may think.
As I get older, (going on 65) the more I realize that it's my life and my happiness is what is all important.

Look around and become aware of all the people who could care less about what others may thing and realize that they are happpy doing what they want.
For everone who may critizize, there is someone who will suppport you no matter what you do. Those who will criticize probably could not care less about what you think of them, so, why worry about them?

BTW, human nature being what it is............
If someone seems self conscious about something, people will tend to to think it is something to be concerened about. On the other hand, if what you do is with confidence, people wiil tend to support you.
So, in reality, we are all in charge of what people think of us and can sway their opions by how they percieve confidence in ourselves.

Case in point, look at Lady Ga Ga.
She is totally strange by most standards but, has become accepted simply because she has the confidence to be herself .
People like confident people. :)

ringedjohn
01-09-2012, 06:21 PM
Yes - piercing your ears is worth it - just do it.

I pierced my left ear lobe over 50 years agao - and it was not long before I had three in each ear. Love them.

TommyII
01-09-2012, 10:37 PM
I can't imagine dressing without my earings. It's a whole new dimension to the feeling. Love the dangling ones espescially.

tracigirl_tv
01-10-2012, 09:12 AM
So I've been on the fence about this, and having read through the thread I'm now inspired to head out to a local Piercing Pagoda and "get er done." It's a retirement gift to myself, at 58.

Thanks for the motivation, ladies *lol*

Traci

Kerigirl2009
01-10-2012, 12:16 PM
Yes yes yes for me it was worth it. Now I get to wear hoops in both ears and I LOVE IT. Never had a negative comment and even if I did I would not care as they are my ears and my earrings

kathyLB
01-10-2012, 09:16 PM
I have had mine pierced at the mall when the wife were shopping,when we passed the pogoda.told I going to pierced she said go ahead ,she went on shopping, got ears pierced ,she didn't like it. told her later about cding. lived the rest of her life knowing , she passed away 5 years ago kathy

Sammy777
01-11-2012, 07:19 AM
Most people won't even notice [people are less observant then you may think]
And most of those that do notice really just won't care.
Sure there will be a couple of "When did you get that done?" questions or comments at some point.

Example:
It took family/friends over a month to notice I added 1, then 2 more, then 4 more.
I currently have 9 holes [4 sets/holes in each ear lobe] and a single 5th Helix/Cartilage hole.

So basically if you want to do it - then just buck up and do it :)

Janelle_C
01-14-2012, 09:01 PM
:battingeyelashes:Thank you all so much for all your input. I went to a piercing palor and got them done. They used a real needle it was very cool and now for eight weeks I have to leave it in before I can change them. I can't wait.:daydreaming: