PDA

View Full Version : Saw my therapist for the first time. Yay~!

Asako
12-31-2011, 11:07 PM
Well, it started with me leaving the house 2 hours before my appointment. The drive is roughly 40-45 minutes. I left so early because I had never been to the city her office is in on my own. So, the night before my appointment, I wrote down Google Map's driving instructions and studied the map of the surrounding area so I wouldn't get lost. I still got lost in town. =) Thankfully, it was only 5 minutes of being lost. I ended up showing up an hour before my scheduled time to see her. Ironically, it took an hour to go over and fill out the paper work.

The first thing we did was talk about my reason for being there. ^.^ We talked about my ties with family and how many of them knew. She made a point of asking about how my parents received me telling them. We talked about how they raised me to be open minded and how to think for myself. I think she was pleasantly surprised that I have few acceptance issues with myself or with dressing at all.

One thing she asked that I paid careful attention to how she asked it: "Do you have anywhere that you can go and just be you? Anywhere at all?". My response? The only place I really have is my bedroom because I live with my parents. That brought us to much more recent memories where mom and dad helped me figure out if I could even afford to move out.

One of the things that stood out that she asked me to do was if I would make a collage of my "ideal inner female". My response was simple. "My inner female would be simpler to just describe her. Me dressed as I am now but female instead. It's ideal because it's closest to being me.". I kept my answers honest and tried to be open. I'm not used to sharing these inner thoughts face to face with people but I'm trying. =)

The final thing she stressed before the session was over was the costs of transition. Again, my response was simple. "I know it can cost anywhere from 40-50k and that it can take anywhere from 4-10 years. However, I have sort these feelings out or I'll never have any inner peace with myself."

I almost forgot something she had said. She made sure to stress that she is unbiased towards trans-people and that I could talk as openly as I wanted with her. ^.^ When I left her office, I had a silly grin on my face. By the time I got to my car, it felt like the majority of the weight holding me down had disappeared. I felt light as a feather. Is this what the start of true happiness feels like? If so, then I don't think I'll ever let it go away again!

It may be a day or two before I can check back for replies. I have family staying at the house. The only reason I could even post this is because I stayed at the house instead of leaving at the same time as everyone else for a family style New Years Eve party. For some reason, I hate being away from the board for very long periods of time.

LeannL
01-01-2012, 01:13 AM
Asako,

It is good that you have found someone to talk to. The feeling that you felt after your session was real and you described it as many of us (including myself) have felt when we have had our first and subsequent sessions.

Being able to describe your feelings and situation to someone who listens without judgment is so important. The process allows you to validate your feelings. Before I was able to do that, it was difficult for me to deal with the burden of being "different". Once you have explained yourself (and there is much more to do), you will be even more accepting of yourself and seek a more comfortable place for yourself in your future.

Enjoy your journey. It will take a while (longer than you want) but know that you can find a place in which you will feel comfortable. BTW, being young really helps.

Leann

Julia_in_Pa
01-01-2012, 01:37 AM
Asako,

Excellent news. Welcome to your pathway.

Julia

Anna Lorree
01-01-2012, 01:46 AM
I am two sessions and a couple of decades ahead of you. I go back on Tuesday, and I am eagerly looking forward to it. It is so nice to be able to be open without judgement, and to know that you are on your way to discovering your true self and place in the world.

Anna

Asako
01-01-2012, 04:48 PM
Enjoy your journey. It will take a while (longer than you want) but know that you can find a place in which you will feel comfortable. BTW, being young really helps.

I'm definitely going to enjoy the journey. I've spent the last 5 years overcoming my fear of the changes that my taking action will generate. It's going to be a bumpier ride than I'll ever be able to anticipate. While it's going to take a while, I don't care how long it takes! I lose track of the days as they pass and everything slowly melds into memories. Years pass quickly. So do my birthdays. Time is irrelevant to me. Before I know it, 3 or 4 months will pass fairly quick and I will be a bit further along my own path.

@Julia:Come what may for I am fearful no more. That 9 month cloud of depression was Hell fueled by thoughts of suicide. I REFUSE to go back to it. =)

@Anna:I hear you loud and clear! Here is to many more helpful sessions of therapy! ^.^ *raises a can of Dr.Pepper*

LeannL
01-02-2012, 10:03 PM
@Julia:Come what may for I am fearful no more. That 9 month cloud of depression was Hell fueled by thoughts of suicide. I REFUSE to go back to it. =)

Asako,
It is so good to "hear" you with such positive convictions. Keep those thoughts on the front of your mind.

You are right about time. It goes by slowly yet quickly at the same time. Your journey will, hopefully, have many more positive moments than frustrating ones and the journey will be completed before you know it.

Good luck,

Leann