PDA

View Full Version : What I did on my Xmas vacation...

sandra-leigh
01-01-2012, 02:24 AM
Not much in most ways. "Sometimes I sit and read, and sometimes I just sit." I hung around the forum, did some volunteer technical work, hid from the overcast skies. My special xmas dinner was cheese fondue, by myself. My New Years eve was sleeping off a stiff neck, and then laying half-awake feeling virtuous about some matters that are far far beyond my control ("if you don't laugh, you'll cry.")

My wife was away (and still is), so I'm getting some practice in being lazy so I don't lose my touch :D

I did go to work on three days during our official break (there are reasons it was better politics for me to put in an appearance.)

The first of the three days, I went in drab, but put on a velvet green Christmas dress just before I left, so the two guards on duty that day saw it.

The second and third of the three days, I went to work in long skirts, and worked that way, not even taking any emergency clothes. Various of our security guards saw that. Oh yes, I had my nails done bright red before that second day, and the guards saw that.

By the end of the third day, five of our seven regular security guards (counting all shifts) had seen me dressed. Not one said anything about it -- though one did give me the impression that he would have talked about it (in a friendly way) if we hadn't happened to be on a busy street corner at the time.

On the third of the days, one of the guards was working an unexpected shift, and if I had known in advance then I suspect I would have hidden what I was wearing. But I was already in her sight by the time I saw she was there, so I just walked right in as if I did it every day. I had thought that if she ever saw me dressed, she would Tsk-Tsk and shake her head, but she did not do that at all; instead as I stood and chatted for perhaps 15 minutes; and, unusually for her, she talked a bit about her family.

The overall reaction I faced was as if people already knew and accepted that I wear such things, and do not consider it unusual for me. Which is a reaction I get quite a bit, even from people who have never seen me dressed before. I must emit androgyions or something :heehee:

Going to work obviously dressed and not hiding that was... liberating. I wasn't planning to be open about it, but the days arrived... and it was just Time.

There will not be any overt fallout from what I did, as I am on quite solid grounds in our policies (especially as I was wearing my "street clothes" at the time the building is officially closed.) I guess gossip may get around a bit, maybe even to my boss. C'est la sera sera.

p.s: All dressing was done by a professional stunt-dresser, and duplication of these demonstrations is not recommended. These situations are hand-made and there may be differences in materials and quality.