PDA

View Full Version : Another Step Out

ReneeT
01-04-2012, 03:49 PM
Another Step Out

As many of you know, i am progresing along a *defined timeline of transition. *My target date to "flip the switch" is Sept 2013, at the time of FFS and after my daughter graduates from high school. One part of this process involves working with my corporate HR team to map things out. *I have not started this process yet, and, as of this morning, only 3 of my co-workers know about my TG status,including one person in HR. *As of this afternoon, though, that number is well over one hundred! *My company, a Fortune 150 health insurer, has taken a more proactive role in supporting and promoting LGBT issues both internally and externally. *As part of this, a LGBT colleague resource group has been created and we had our first call in meeting today. *There were over 100 people on the call, including our corporate chief diversity officer. *At the end of the call, it was opened up for Q and A, and I asked several questions concerning transgender issues. *I identified myself and used the terms "we" and "our" when referring to the TG community, leaving little doubt of my affiliation. *It actually felt really good to be out about my identity, even in this small way. *There i clearly a lt in front of me in terms of coming out at work, but i see this as another small step forward.

kimdl93
01-04-2012, 03:54 PM
I admire your courage and honesty in dealing with the corporate environment. the fact that the corporation is taking a positive, proactive role is admirable too, of course. And I'm surprised to learn that over 100 people were on the call. While I realize they weren't all LGB or T, its still pretty remarkable participation and interest.

Best of luck on your transition timeline!

Julia_in_Pa
01-04-2012, 05:56 PM
Renee,

You have set forth a plan in which to rectify the situation nature handed you.

This is exactly what you need to do.

Plan your work and work your plan is not only an old stand by, it's actually valid.

Be proud of your self for this that you have accomplished with eyes forward on the day to top all days.

Julia

Starr
01-04-2012, 07:24 PM
Renee i am very happy for you... sounds like all will be well as you transition...

LeaP
01-05-2012, 07:03 AM
There's nothing small about what you described, Renee. It's breathtaking, actually. I work for a very large multinational (and have worked at several others) and have a pretty good idea what you're dealing with. You're doing more than taking steps for yourself - you are creating it for others. Congratulations!

Lea

ReneeT
01-05-2012, 09:07 AM
Thanks for all of your support! Lea, i certainly do hope that a little of my trip makes it easier for others. Many of you here have made things easier for me. In fact, i honestly don't think that i would be anywhere close to where i am today without all of you! Julia, your truism is right on. So is this one: Failing to plan is planning to fail!

EnglishRose
01-05-2012, 10:00 AM
Great stuff Renee! I would count this rather as a leap in the right direction, never mind Step :)