PDA

View Full Version : These patches suck

Myojine
01-04-2012, 07:02 PM
The estrogen patch
DOES NOT STICK TO MY SKIN.
Stays on for a day, falls off.
first week was fine, 2nd week had to use a little bit of masking tape to get top half to stick.
3rd week falls off in 4 days have to tap the god damn thing to my ass.
4th week, falls off next day. ducked taped to my hip.

LUCKILY i went to the doctor and go switched to pills.
Seriously just blew up in a god damned rage fit because either my body adapted and doesnt want the god damned thing on its skin or these patches really suck ass.

oh yeah
im the 3rd transexual patient this doctor has seen and treated. so ya for me.

Badtranny
01-04-2012, 07:21 PM
Take a hot shower, clean the skin thoroughly, dry the skin thoroughly

Apply the patch while you're still warm from the shower and then hold your hand over it for at least 60 seconds. The warmth of your hand will heat the adhesive and allow it to stick MUCH better.

Frances
01-04-2012, 07:38 PM
Take a hot shower, clean the skin thoroughly, dry the skin thoroughly...

...and use rubbing alcohol before putting the patch on to dry the skin. Mine stay on with no problem.

Amber99
01-04-2012, 07:44 PM
Myojine - these ladies know what they're talking about!

Also, try a different spot on the body. I wear mine near the bikini line on my front ... others have used the inside of their thigh and their underarms where the triceps are ... those spots didn't work for me.

It might also be a bad box of patches ...
The back of my shoulder works really well.

Myojine
01-04-2012, 07:45 PM
well
wont have to worry now
i got the pills now.
last patch. duct tape yo...

sandra-leigh
01-04-2012, 07:58 PM
I have found that I have to place mine at about the top of my panty line (but covered over). Higher than that and the flex of my muscles or every-day sweat takes the patch off in less than half a day. Lower than that and there is too much stretch in the muscles for matters to work out.

On the other hand, I never tried something like putting it on the back of my upper leg. I would have to shave the area first before I tried that (my leg hair is sparse and thin, but not short.)

Aprilrain
01-05-2012, 02:18 AM
On the other hand, I never tried something like putting it on the back of my upper leg. I would have to shave the area first before I tried that (my leg hair is sparse and thin, but not short.)

wait?? so you DON'T shave your legs??

sandra-leigh
01-05-2012, 03:05 AM
wait?? so you DON'T shave your legs??

It takes my wife about 20 minutes to notice and grouse if I shave one square inch of my barely-visible body hair. (I counted the other day: I have 20 hairs on my chest, total. She notices if more than 2 of them go missing.)

It is my personal domestic harmony trade-off; (nearly) everything is fine as long as I still have the wisps.

Alicia Ryanne
01-06-2012, 06:37 PM
Patches work ok for me. Occasionally, sure, it might loosen some, but id MUCH rather deal with that then having to take a pill everyday AND have to worry about liver issues.

Kate T
01-06-2012, 07:12 PM
OP seems to have gone over to pills (though hopefully your doctor has warned you of increased risk of side effects with oral oestrogen compared to patches or injections).

I am not TS so don't use hormones etc. BUT I have had to use other transdermal patches in the past (Fentanyl, a painkiller after a major abdo surgery) and also at work (veterinary surgeon) I prescribe LOTS of meds in various forms (probably more than most doctors). A couple of things about transdermal patches:
1. They are designed to be use on HAIRLESS areas. Even some GP's don't realise this. Read the product information leaflet that hopefully came with them (I'm not sure what the US regulations are like on providing info with prescription medications but in Australia every medication has to have an information sheet with all the product registration details). All of the pharmacodynamic studies are based on the patches being used on hairless skin.
2. There are a few different agents that basically promote the transdermal absorption of the oestrogen (indeed any medication). If you skin reacts to one patch then a different brand may work better. There are only a couple of different absorption agents but there are is a larger variety of glues on the patches. Again a different brand may work better.
3. Similar to point 1, don't try and use any type of skin glue on the absorption surface of the patch as it will alter the absorption. You could however use it on any area that is not an absorption surface, most patches have an "edge" that is essentially just glue.

When using the fentanyl patches I found the upper arm just below the shoulder to be the best spot for the patches. In that location they are mostly covered by shirts / tops, there is very little hair there, few people sweat a lot in this area and even with vigorous physical arm work the skin in that area does not move a lot.

If you have a help then the back (avoid the shoulders on your back as too much movement) is also not too bad though sweating can be a problem.

Even so I tended to find that I would get an occasional patch that just didn't stick well. Also I would usually need to rotate locations (i.e. L to R arm) as I would still get a mild irritation but it would resolve fairly quickly once the patch was off that area for 1-2 days.

Hope that helps someone.

pamela_a
01-06-2012, 08:50 PM
What patch were you using? I use Viveldot but my new prescription "insurance" prefers the Estradol patch. When I asked my GYN about the difference she said she would prescribe either one for me but warned me the Estradol patch was larger and many people had problems with them not sticking very well. If you were using Estradol patches that might have been your problem

JohnH
01-06-2012, 09:06 PM
Consider Estrogel (Oestrogel) I apply it in the every morning and rub it on my arms. It is an alcohol based gel that is absorbed by the skin.

Johanna

Traci Elizabeth
01-07-2012, 12:23 PM
Some have said this already but here are my points even thought I know the OP is now taking pills:

1. Directed at the OP...life would be a lot better if you quit using the Lord's name in vain!
2. Panties (regardless of type) slip from the original waist area you put them on - if the patch is neat the waist line they are easy to come off.
3. Keep the area clean and hairless and I am referring to the "peach fuzz" that all women have.
4. Clean off all glue visible or not over the area you are putting the patch.
5. Do use rubbing alcohol before applying the patch as Frances suggests - I wait a few minutes for it to evaporate.
6. Don't touch the medicine area of the patch when taking off plastic backing.
7. Once applied, press the palm of you hand over the patch for at least 30 seconds not the 10 seconds on the instruction sheet.
8 Finally, never ever sleep in the nude with a patch on else you bed will be wearing it by the time you wake up.

Aprilrain
01-07-2012, 12:48 PM
It takes my wife about 20 minutes to notice and grouse if I shave one square inch of my barely-visible body hair. (I counted the other day: I have 20 hairs on my chest, total. She notices if more than 2 of them go missing.)

It is my personal domestic harmony trade-off; (nearly) everything is fine as long as I still have the wisps.

I would need to be institutionalized if i couldn't shave! doing laser on upper legs now AMAZING results so far!

Nigella
01-07-2012, 01:13 PM
Due to pre-existing medical conditions, my endo was not prepared to put me on tablets due to the high dosage needed to ensure sufficient estrogen was absorbed and not filtered by the liver.

She put me on patches and I have never in almost 12 months have had one not stick correctly.

Sandra
01-07-2012, 01:23 PM
Oh yeah Nigella, and the better they stick the more I like ripping them off you :lol:

Frances
01-07-2012, 01:28 PM
Due to pre-existing medical conditions, my endo was not prepared to put me on tablets due to the high dosage needed to ensure sufficient estrogen was absorbed and not filtered by the liver.

I too had a pre-existing condition: middle-age!

Kate T
01-07-2012, 09:43 PM
Some have said this already but here are my points even thought I know the OP is now taking pills:

1. Directed at the OP...life would be a lot better if you quit using the Lord's name in vain!
2. Panties (regardless of type) slip from the original waist area you put them on - if the patch is neat the waist line they are easy to come off.
3. Keep the area clean and hairless and I am referring to the "peach fuzz" that all women have.
4. Clean off all glue visible or not over the area you are putting the patch.
5. Do use rubbing alcohol before applying the patch as Frances suggests - I wait a few minutes for it to evaporate.
6. Don't touch the medicine area of the patch when taking off plastic backing.
7. Once applied, press the palm of you hand over the patch for at least 30 seconds not the 10 seconds on the instruction sheet.
8 Finally, never ever sleep in the nude with a patch on else you bed will be wearing it by the time you wake up.

Agree with all above except I must admit to never having a problem with the patches coming off when I was asleep when I was using them (and yes I sleep in my birthday suit). I was only using them for around 6 weeks though.

Kristy_K
01-07-2012, 11:57 PM
I use Viveldot and have not had a problem with them sticking as long as I clean the area first.

Fractured
01-10-2012, 11:42 AM
I've had to use patches for testosterone in the past (it seemed like a good idea at the time :doh:) and found that I had to move the application site among four or five different locations or else my skin would get red and scaly, reducing the absorption of the drug.