PDA

View Full Version : Jury Duty?

Heather1129
01-04-2012, 08:41 PM
Has anyone went on jury duty dressed en femme? I was scheduled to have jury duty tomorrow but it was canceled, I was thinking about dressing it up a little and wondered if anyone else had done it or what the feeling was?

Heather

Dawn cd
01-04-2012, 08:58 PM
I wouldn't do it. The presiding judge will not be pleased. You might even be held in contempt. And remember, there are news reporters hanging around.

Jennifer529
01-04-2012, 09:17 PM
Probably a good way to get out of Jury Duty :)

Debglam
01-04-2012, 09:34 PM
Hi Heather,

I found your question interesting so here is some information I found:

Arizona:

Attire/Dress
Since you, as a juror, are an officer of the court, we request that you dress appropriately. Business attire is suggested. The temperature of the jury assembly areas and courtrooms can be unpredictable. Shorts, miniskirts, tank tops, halters, braless dresses or tops, tee-shirts, rubber sandals and other informal attire is not considered appropriate in the courtroom setting. If you should appear wearing these or other items deemed unsuitable for attending court, you may be required to return home at your own expense to change into more suitable attire or your jury service may be reschedule to another date.

New Jersey:

Is there a dress code for jurors reporting?
Jurors reporting for service should wear clothing appropriate for an appearance in court. Shorts, t-shirts, uniforms or clothing containing statements or offensive symbols are not permitted. All hats must be removed when in a courtroom. Comfortable clothing is also advisable.

Texas:

What should I wear during my Jury Service?
"Business Casual" would be considered an appropriate way to dress for Jury Duty. Nice jeans are also allowed.
Shorts, uniforms, tank tops, inappropriate clothing, and any clothing with holes or tears are NOT allowed in the courtroom.

Maryland:

Q. Is there a dress code for jury duty?

A. Proper attire is required. Tank tops, shorts, flip flops, sweat pants, athletic wear and professional uniforms are not considered appropriate attire for jury duty.

You would need to check with the court where you would be serving. Make an anonymous call and say you are a juror, you are trans, and you want to know if dressing appropriately for court, but en femme, would cause any problems.
I'd be interested to hear what they say!

Probably a good way to get out of Jury Duty :)

Probably true but ya never can tell!

karanne
01-04-2012, 09:46 PM
I've had Jury Duty eight times, and been seated three times. Go with your legal gender status - my driver's license says 'F' so I wear a skirted suit. Other than that, call the Clerk's office and explain your situation.

Leslie Langford
01-04-2012, 10:12 PM
One of our members here - dilane - has had some experience in this area. Check out her post from 2010 using this link:

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?132362-Jury-duty-en-femme-the-sequel&highlight=

Jamie001
01-05-2012, 12:27 AM
You cannot be forced to wear clothing that is considered gender appropriate. This would be a violation of your rights and I believe that you could bring a law suit.

Eryn
01-05-2012, 01:05 AM
Prospective jurors are on the bottom end of the rights chain. Rub the judge or jury supervisor the wrong way and they can make your life miserable. Don't start a legal fight against the guy who runs the arsenal.

Miranda-E
01-05-2012, 02:16 AM
I've testified in a dress, I've stood in front of a judge for a name change in a dress. Neither time did I call the court anonymously for fashion advise or ask permission. why would jury duty be any different?
Its court, just dress appropriately regardless of gender presentation.

noeleena
01-05-2012, 04:29 AM
Hi,

Been before two Judges & dressed as was according to my status as a woman & its better to dress according to how you are known as to birth documents, dont create issues that are not there.

...noeleena...

Karren H
01-05-2012, 07:04 AM
I thought about it but last time I served had a good friend and coworker in the same jury pool. Glad I decided to wear a suit and tie because they were only choosing poorly dressed middle aged housewives. We did have a visit by one of the local drag queens... Through the court house. My friend couldn't believe she was a he and not a hooker. Lol.

Since we only had to show up Monday and Tuesday and call in the remaining days, I took Wednesday off and went out enfemme...

barbie lanai
01-05-2012, 07:40 AM
Last time I had jury duty, I think the defense attorney was transgender MTF. Maybe only my imagination, no one mentioned anything about her. Although in the instructions from the judge; transgender was mentioned along with a couple other dozen things to ignore in the case.

Amanda S
01-05-2012, 08:28 AM
The repercussions of you dressing for jury duty depend largely on how you're perceived by the court and the judges involved.

While most of us see jury duty as an inconvenient distraction, judges and court officials tend to see it as a bedrock principle that protects the rights of all. They perceive that juries protect citizens from imprisonment by their government without reasonable evidence that they did something wrong; thus, anyone who treats that bedrock principle with disrespect or contempt is looked upon unfavorably.

If you want to go en femme, then be prepared to dress professionally. But don't do a half job - truly go en femme. If you're seen like Corporal Klinger from MASH, trying to escape your civic duty, that will not result in a positive outcome. But presenting like a woman, trying to be passable, dressed professionally, you're less likely to face scrutiny. But above all, be respectful and professional in your manner and appearance; judges are used to people doing or saying silly things to avoid jury service, and I'm pretty sure you don't want to experience the consequences of them thinking that's what you're all about, too.

Loni
01-05-2012, 08:36 AM
and when your name is called do you want them to call out MR BOB XXXXX, and a cute lady stands up???
i have been on the pool many times, only had to be in line once, never made it into the court room. but never get the judge made at you..it could not "make your day".

dress as per how your name is on the paperwork.

Cheryl T
01-05-2012, 11:50 AM
Has anyone went on jury duty dressed en femme? I was scheduled to have jury duty tomorrow but it was canceled, I was thinking about dressing it up a little and wondered if anyone else had done it or what the feeling was?

Heather

Are you related to Klinger on M.A.S.H.???? He probably would have tried that to get kicked off.

LeannL
01-05-2012, 09:42 PM
Heather,
You don't mention what state you are in. If it is a state that has a law protecting transgendered persons, then you should not have a problem. If you are in another state, I would talk with the Clerk. What I would mostly talk about is how it would be posible for you to be referred to by your female name. that way, you aren't asking for permission nor are you trying to get out of Jury duty (which could get some mad at you) and you would also cover the name issue.
Leann