PDA

View Full Version : Who are your literary character role models

Kathryn Martin
01-06-2012, 09:01 PM
My literary character role model is Desiree from Annemarie Selinkos' book entitled Desiree. It is historical fiction and portrays the wife of General Bernadotte who was a French general during the revolution and became the King of Sweden. The novel is not historically accurate but her portrayal is one of a very feminine but in her own way strong woman. I read this novel first when I was nine years old and it became a constant companion during puberty. I returned to the novel often until I was about 30.

Recently I re-read it again and love it as much as I remember. Looking back it is probably the most influential book during my formative years.

Tell me what is yours?

Laurie Ann
01-06-2012, 09:32 PM
Ann of Green Gables for her spunkiness and being comfortable in her own skin from up your way Kathryn

Starling
01-07-2012, 12:47 AM
A favorite character of mine is Katrin, the narrator (and budding author) from I Remember Mama. I haven't seen the play--don't imagine it's done much anymore--but the actress who played Katrin in the memorable 1948 film, starring Irene Dunn, is Barbara Bel Geddes. I formed an early fascination for Babs, most likely from seeing her in Vertigo. She played Jimmy Stewart's lady friend Midge, who was in love with him, but was too plain and bookish to excite his passion. That's me! So I confess to modeling on the actress as much as on the role. Or two roles. I'm a bad person.

:) Lallie

Kelsy
01-07-2012, 07:17 AM
Louisa May Alcott's Jo March of Little Women is my favorite. Strong and creative, vulnerable and compassionate, persistent and beautiful.

Kelsy

Julia_in_Pa
01-07-2012, 07:40 AM
A more socially liberal Dagny Taggart

Julia

Kaitlyn Michele
01-07-2012, 09:16 AM
I can never decide between Betty and Veronica

Julia_in_Pa
01-07-2012, 09:28 AM
OK, that was funny!!

CharleneT
01-07-2012, 11:10 AM
Sookie Stackhouse ;)

.................... and many others !!

EnglishRose
01-07-2012, 12:22 PM
Stephanie Plum (and my god I wish it was someone else than Katherine Heigl in the upcoming movie :( ) Now she has moxy :)

Jonianne
01-07-2012, 02:26 PM
Ann of Green Gables for her spunkiness and being comfortable in her own skin from up your way Kathryn

Anne of Green Gables is my favorite as well, and........ that's Anne with an "e"! the same as mine! :)

“It's just that I went looking for my ideals outside of myself. I discovered it's not what the world holds for you, it's what you bring to it. The dreams dearest to my heart are right here." (Anne)

Aprilrain
01-07-2012, 04:22 PM
Ayla, from the book Clan Of The Cave Bear. She is a survivor in a harsh wold.

Traci Elizabeth
01-07-2012, 07:18 PM

Damn it Kaitlyn, I was going to say that. I rarely read fictional books I love non-fiction history books and religious books so my choice would be Mary (it's up to you to figure which biblical Mary I am referring too.

Zenith
01-07-2012, 08:38 PM
Holly Golightly.......do like Jo enough that my middle name is the same as the author... :D
Julie Louisa **********

Claire Cook
01-08-2012, 08:42 AM
Well, this may be silly but mine was Alice. I first read the books when I was 5, and dreamed for years that I could have blonde hair like that, wear her dress and pinafore and go with her down that rabbit hole. Had I known then what I know now about TG, I might have done just that.....

And oh, yes, Holly Golightly. I'll never forget that scene of Audrey changing what seemed like endless numbers of earrings in seconds....

Zenith
01-08-2012, 01:07 PM
... oh, yes, Holly Golightly. I'll never forget that scene of Audrey changing what seemed like endless numbers of earrings in seconds....

Love Audrey to pieces, but youb have to read the book to get an idea of the complexity of the character...

Starling
01-09-2012, 09:31 PM
Holly's sort of Truman Capote's Doppelgänger, isn't she? Jules, did you see the play Tru, starring Robert Morse? It's heartbreaking. Talk about lives not lived...

docrobbysherry
01-09-2012, 10:28 PM
Diana Rigg. Perils of Pauline. MOST of the James Bond girls. Oh, READ? But, I'm a guy! We're very visual, remember?

Fractured
01-10-2012, 11:30 AM
Jeanne d'Arc. Perhaps I have a persecution complex? :straightface:

Ayla, from the book Clan Of The Cave Bear. She is a survivor in a harsh wold.
I loved that book! I absolutely adored Ayla. To bad Auel's story-telling went downhill with each subsequent book in that series.

Zenith
01-10-2012, 11:43 AM
Holly's sort of Truman Capote's Doppelgänger, isn't she? Jules, did you see the play Tru, starring Robert Morse? It's heartbreaking. Talk about lives not lived...

Absolutely. Will have to look into your recommendation. :)

Starling
01-10-2012, 01:07 PM
It ran on American Playhouse in 1992, and as far as I know it isn't available on video.

:sad: Lallie