PDA

View Full Version : First time out, clocked running in pink

JulieNY
10-26-2005, 11:29 PM
Going out doesn't always go well :) No biggie, just spotted.

Nearby where I live is a quiet, residential community. I decided one night with my gf to go running in fem. I went out in pink regalia; pink shorts, bra, shirt, hat, and shaved legs. A few of the big details that scream fem were there. At 9:30 we went out on our run... after I'd had a few beers (nothing like ruining the point of the workout before leaving the house :rolleyes:).

Normally we run in the morning, and very few people are out. I was expecting the same. Within the first five minutes, though, I'd seen five cars driving painfully slowly past me. At night, running, in pink, you'd think you have a good chance of passing. Even at 6'2" I figured that was probably the case and tried not to let the potential get the best of me. Another ten minutes and ten cars later, a car pulled into a drive 100m ahead of us. I thought little of it, but decided to slow down and allow time for them to enter the house before running past. Instead they stood talking, and approached the street to check their mail. I ran past at about five feet away, both of them watching. Ouch. Passing at five feet away, with no wig, and at over six feet, just isn't going to happen. They stopped talking and kept staring. Just writing about it makes me uncomfortable. My gf picked up pace and I followed, deciding to start home at this point.

On the way home, right before the driveway, there's a wooded pathway to cross. Still a bit flustered, I was talking with my girlfriend about the girls. I didn't see the guy ahead walking his dog, but I'm sure he heard me... my best fem voice is not passable yet. We ran past, me in pink, obviously in drag. Awesome. :thumbsup:

No, no one molested me or made comments, but knowing that you're clocked by the look in their eyes is about the most uncomfortable experience ever. Being a woman is vulnerable enough, but being obviously outside the societal norms makes you even worse off. In a culture where guys are supposed to me men, going fem is pretty unacceptable to most. And then again, even if I know I was read, who knows that the hell they thought. Maybe they thought I had good running form, or that I was a preverted child molester. :eek: Guess you just have to let go, let them think what they will.

Lessons: 1) When running in fem, run in the same place at the same time of night first in guy mode to know what exposure you'll have, unless you're thicker skinned than me 2) If you're scared enough, you'll forget you've been drinking 3) Don't drink and run (stumbling brings more attention) 4) You're less likely to get clocked running faster, which makes for a better workout ;)

Cliff's notes: Clocked running in pink. Bad times.

Marlena Dahlstrom
10-27-2005, 12:00 AM
No, no one molested me or made comments, but knowing that you're clocked by the look in their eyes is about the most uncomfortable experience eve.

I know you were uncomfortable, but let's take a step back girlfriend. The sky didn't fall in. They didn't laugh and point. As you said, who knows what they were really thinking?

Obviously there are some people who are going to look at us and disapprove. But I've been out quite a bit and been read lots of times and frankly my take on it is that for the most part people don't care. (Of course, I'm in the SF Bay Area, which is more tolerant, but I've heard the same thing from CDs all over the country.) Yeah, they probably think it's eccentric, but is it any more odd than if you'd been jogging in a Starfleet uniform? Lots of people have their oddities.

Not to dismiss the real hate crimes that do occur, but the disapproval we face is often much more in our own minds than in reality.

Crystal Harmony
10-27-2005, 02:04 AM
I go to the gym in my fem gym clothes all the time and nobody seems to care,but it feels so comfy in fem gym clothes

Ellaine
10-27-2005, 07:31 AM
Lessons: 1) When running in fem, run in the same place at the same time of night first in guy mode to know what exposure you'll have, unless you're thicker skinned than me .

Julie :) Just a little concern on this one...If you take to establishing a pattern because you deem it safe; you also risk making your activity easier to take advantage of. :(
I don't wish to be graphic or scarry. But it is a good point!
Take care hon...even a pocket deodorant spray is better than no protection.

Ellaine

Phoebe Reece
10-27-2005, 05:00 PM
Maybe if you had put on a wig and a little lipstick you would have been a little more passable....

Katrina
10-27-2005, 05:09 PM
...Yeah, they probably think it's eccentric, but is it any more odd than if you'd been jogging in a Starfleet uniform?...

Hey now, don't be dissin' the Starfleet uniform... ;)

Seriously though, nobody actually cared enough to say something, so when is the next time you are going out???

Marlena Dahlstrom
10-27-2005, 08:25 PM
Hey now, don't be dissin' the Starfleet uniform... ;)

Everyone knows the Klingon gals look hotter. :D

DonnaT
10-27-2005, 08:54 PM
Next time someone stares, WAVE!
http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/8/8_1_230.gif

JulieNY
10-27-2005, 09:08 PM
Lots to think about.

Ellaine, I have to agree that running scheduled makes you an easier target. Hadn't thought of that. I recommend running in the morning and with a friend. There's a real feeling of accomplishment working out in the morning, and it wakes you up quick! Friends always make it easier and safer, too. Cross-motivational, and what-not.

Darla, I too grew up in the SF bay (Oakland and SF), and I now live in a very eccentric college town, so I'm not sure what my problem is with acceptance. I don't like attention, either good or bad. Always been a "back of the class" girl. I'll have to change that. This Christmas I'm coming home to SF from college, and I'll definitely have to go out a bit when I'm there. I'm 21 now, too :).

MissPinchy, along with what Phoebe said, I'll probably start again when I'm more passable. Until my hair grows out I have hair by mail, lol. That and a touch of makeup is about as good as it gets for a bit. I'll try again Monday.

I don't want to discourage others from going out. It's a rush. Nothing quite like the liberation and adrenaline. I recommend it ;). A little more scouting and homework than I did never hurt, either.

Thanks for the replies.

Andrea's Lynne
10-27-2005, 09:10 PM
Julie

I say, Good on ya for having the guts to go out. Just be smart and safe sister.

Lynne

Kaye_martin
10-27-2005, 11:16 PM
Going out doesn't always go well :) No biggie, just spotted.

Nearby where I live is a quiet, residential community. I decided one night with my gf to go running in fem. I went out in pink regalia; pink shorts, bra, shirt, hat, and shaved legs..... Maybe they thought I had good running form, or that I was a preverted child molester. :eek: Guess you just have to let go, let them think what they will. .

Ouch! Why oh why are we lumped together with this bunch? We just like femme things.

The other night at dinner with friends my wife passed the comment that for a while she was all into wearing pants but that now she's sick of them and will be switching back to skirts. If only it could be as easy for us!

kaye_martin