PDA

View Full Version : My Sister Knew!

abigailf
01-10-2012, 09:37 PM
So, as part of my campaign for “Coming Out 2012” I decided to tell my sister today. Her and her husband have come over to make sausage and sopresatta with me and my brother. I just made some last week with my in-laws and this week I was making with my family. See more about making sopresatta here. (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?166855-More-about-me-What-do-you-make&highlight=) My brother already knows, we (my wife and I) talked to him and his wife a couple of months ago. So knowing that my sister was here with her husband was a good time to start moving on my campaign.

My brother was here around noon and my sister showed up with my brother-in-law around 2pm. I have the Italian kitchen in the basement so that is where the sausage making was occurring. We finished the sausage making process around 6. There was much wine consumed and some used in the sausage. We laughed and had a really good time.

My wife was a bit on edge most of the day however. She knew I was going to say something and it was on her mind. I wanted to wait until after we made sausage to say something otherwise we might not get the work done. I was a little nervous too but I knew it had to be done and today was the day. The kids were also home from school and I needed them to be upstairs and out of ear shot before I said something. The perfect time was just before our meal.

So after we cleaned up the meat grinder and stuff we set the table for dinner. The food was cooked and my wife and sister were putting it in platters and on tables. We had a collage of food including; a small bit of gnocchi left in the freezer from a few weeks ago, a fresh pot of lentil soup and a stew. I sat down next to my brother-in-law facing the kitchen counters where my sister was and I said “I have something I want to tell you. It’s going to be a bit of a shock but you should really know about it.”

So my sister stopped what she was doing and gave me her fullest attention. My brother-in-law did to. My brother picked up what my sister was doing. He knew what was coming so he wanted to keep busy. I think he was a bit uncomfortable for me. My wife was about to tear up. In-stead of beating around the bush I just got right into it, I said “ I am a transsexual, do you know what that is?” My brother –in-law admitted he did not know and my sister smiled knowingly but a bit shocked. I did not know what to make of that so I just continued. “Do you know what a cross dresser is?” then I waited.

My brother-in-law understood a little better and a conversation ensued. The details are unimportant except that he tells me they already knew. Well, my sister already knew, that’s why he stopped teasing me about my girly clothes. I asked “Do you want me to go into the technical details?” My sister said “You don’t need to, I’ve been researching it for a few months now.”

Wow! I was absolutely floored by that comment. I did all I could to keep from crying right there. I said “You are the first person I told that actually knew and you really have been researching it?” I was so happy and amazed at the love and admiration by that activity. I still am, not only did she figure it out, but she researched it and did not bother me about it until I was ready to come out. OMG! I can only hope that all of my coming out this year will be good. Heck, I’d settle for half that good.

Anyway, we had a talk about the impacts to my wife and kids and all the other stuff that comes with post coming out conversations. All in all it was a good experience albeit a lot of tears. Both my sister and bother-in-law said they will be there for me and I can call them anytime.

God bless, I have such a wonderful family. Well, two siblings now know and two more to tell and my mother of course. She leaves for Florida tomorrow for a month. I will wait until she returns, I don’t want her to rush her trip thinking she needs to be home for me.

Eileen
01-10-2012, 10:14 PM
Wonderful to hear your good news Abigail!

Traci Elizabeth
01-10-2012, 10:19 PM
WOW! That is just amazing. I could not be happier for you. And I do hope you have continued success in coming out.

LeaP
01-10-2012, 10:53 PM
Abigail,

Amazing story and amazing family. Congratulations on it being such a warm experience. It's nice to hear the positive ones. I hope the rest of your family is as accepting.

Lea

Steph.TS
01-11-2012, 12:03 AM
that must have been exciting and terrifying at the same time, that took alot of courage. congratulations.

ReneeT
01-11-2012, 08:18 AM
Abigail, i am so happy that hings went as they did. You never know......

How is your wife doing with things? I am in a similar boat- married, hoping ( maybe naiively so) to stay that way.... My wife is definately struggling and ha no one to turn to. Maybe we could start a "wives of transitioning transexuals" support group!

Kristy_K
01-11-2012, 08:27 AM
Congraudations Abigail. It sounds like you are off to having a great year. I am very happy for you. Family support is important.

Love & Hugs,
Kristy

Julia_in_Pa
01-11-2012, 09:00 AM
Abigail,

Congrat's on your sister's acceptance of you.

Keep walking forward.

Julia

abigailf
01-11-2012, 11:44 AM
Thanks all for the kind words.

Abigail, i am so happy that hings went as they did. You never know......

How is your wife doing with things? I am in a similar boat- married, hoping ( maybe naiively so) to stay that way.... My wife is definately struggling and ha no one to turn to. Maybe we could start a "wives of transitioning transexuals" support group!

@Renee:

Our wives need support sometimes more than we do. After all, we had our whole lives to come to terms with this. My wife sees a therapist now. It took her awhile as she thought it a sign of weakness to ask for help. But the stress was mounting and she needed an outlet. She is now asking if we should do couples counselling. I was thrilled at that and is such a hopeful sign.

I was actually thinking about started a local support group for couples. There really aren't any close by being in Bridgewater, NJ. I would have to travel over an hour for the closest one (Trenton area I think).

My wife still struggles with the not being a lesbian thing. I'm a girl, she is not a lesbian, that is not a match. If we did not love each other, she would have been gone already. She hangs in there because we both truly love and need each other. I hate the way this hurts her so and sometimes I berate myself for giving in and not fighting this. She knows there is a medical science behind it and understands I did not choose this any more than she did. I think that is what keeps her going most of all, knowing this is a major life altering event that we need to face as a couple.

She still is ashamed that her husband is a transsexual and if it were up to her, nobody would know about it. But eventually, the hormones are going to tell everyone even if we don't. Honestly, I envy those who are bi-gender or happy cross dressers. I wish I could do that, but there is very little about my male self that feels remotely good.

Anyway, she is still with me and that is a good sign and we talk often and try to work through things. She will stay for as long as she can and that is really all I could ask for.

kimdl93
01-11-2012, 12:02 PM
That's great, Abigail. FYI, several of my siblings also know, and they have been very supportive as well. Love is a wonderful and powerful thing.

Laurie Ann
01-11-2012, 05:43 PM
What a heart warming with a real positive outcome. Please also let us know how the meal went hand made sausage what a treat

NathalieX66
01-11-2012, 05:58 PM
Abi, I'm so happy for you..... Congrats!!!!
I'm so glad that your siblings are taking it well. From what I've seen of the pictures of the sausages, tomatoes it looked pretty impressive. What a lovely dinner, I bet.
The TG/wife suport group sounds like a fabulous idea.

Teri Jean
01-11-2012, 08:37 PM
Congrats and I have to say you have a wonderful loving family. It is truely a New Year.