PDA

View Full Version : have you tried on anything feminine while shopping in public en-drab (not while CD)?

Krististeph
01-11-2012, 03:08 AM
Well?

public (in this case) means you were able to be seen by others either trying on clothing or taking it to the fitting room.

I'll go first:

I was having a run of bad luck in over-the calf- black boots. Twice the wrong size, returned... so on the 3rd pair (different store- JCP this time) I pulled out the size 10 boot and put it on. It fit well, I bought the boots.

Another time was at a bridal shop- mid-October, of course (supposedly so I could say it was for Halloween), but I went right before closing, and the owner said she could bring in some samples my size the next day. The next day, Carmen (the owner) met me as the store opened, but there were no other customers around so this doesn't necessarily count. One of her employees helped a little but never saw me in the dress. Still the appointment worked out, and although I had told her my "Costume Party" story she knew it was bunk, but was sweetly polite about not 'noticing', and she even seemed to have some fun with it. The 1hr appointment stretched until noon (2 1/2 hours!

linda allen
01-11-2012, 07:57 AM
Not that exciting, but I tried on (and bought) women's jeans at Walmart. And my wife (who doesn't know about my CD habit) was with me. I wanted jeans that weren't so baggy and after trying on men's jeans, I suggested women's. Even the SA agreed that they looked better on me.

I wear them for "dress up" jeans in "boy" mode. Nobody has made any comments but if they do, my answer will be "They fit better."

I also tried on (and bought) women's shoes at Payless. Two different times at two different stores. I told the SA that they were for a halloween party.

alice clair
01-11-2012, 08:03 AM
Hi Kristi
Yes i have several times, my wife and i went to a JCPs out of town and i tried on several items tops girl jeans skirts and a few dresses, i had asked the salesperson if i could try them on and she said i had to use the mens fitting room, which was ok by me. We had a good time in other stores too but i like JCPs and payless shoe stores. I was mostly in drab except for my top and shoes.

Trish
01-11-2012, 08:18 AM
I tried on two skirts in the mens dressing room at a J C Penny's store. I never got a second look from anyone. By the way, it was my wifes suggestion that I try them on.

bridget thronton
01-11-2012, 08:36 AM
It is sometimes easier to check some things for size without going into a fitting room. So yes I had tried things on in drab and in public.

kerrianne
01-11-2012, 09:14 AM
I have gone many times in male mode shopping for dresses, skirts, etc. I'm honest with the sales associate most of them knowing me when I walk in en feeme or in drab and welcome me with open arms.one of my favorite stores to shop in is bebe.love their clothes. In fact many times the s/a encourage me to wear what I bought right out of the store as they always say it looks cuter than what I was wearing when I walked in. Be honest from the word go and have a ball.

Jodi
01-11-2012, 10:44 AM
For years, I bought blind, then 11 years ago, I began trying on in drab. It was so easy. Now, I always try on items before buying. I generally shop in women's clothing stores, so I'm using the women's dressing rooms. I've never had aproblem.

SA's are always willing to help, and they actually enjoy helping. This way, I always know that the fit and color are right. This also gives me the chance to discuss with the SA the proper ways to accessorize the outfit.

I also always try on shoes before buying. With the multitude of different fits on women's shoes, this is imperative. Generally, I will have to try on several pairs before I find one with the fit that is right.

IMHO, buying clothing and shoes blind is like peeing money down a dark hole.

Jodi

sweetvictoria
01-11-2012, 10:47 AM
Just last night I tried on some shoes while in drab. I have tried one some things before while dressed but this was a new experience. The sales clerk was very helpful.

Daphne Renee
01-11-2012, 10:58 AM
I tried on some heels and target one time. Thats about it. I have looked around alot but never really tried on much

Marleena
01-11-2012, 11:10 AM
Yes, the store I go to has both sex dressing rooms side by side. I pick what I want and go to the mens dressing room.

ColleenCD
01-11-2012, 11:14 AM
Indeed I have, at Dress Barn. I tried on several outfits with the assistance of the store manager. She was very helpful, bringing me blouses and skirts to try on and then step out of the dressing room to let her see how they fit and look for more tops. It was a dream come true.

Colleen

Cynthia Anne
01-11-2012, 11:19 AM
Been there many times! Tried on skirts, heels, dresses, ladies jeans and even went to a bra fitting once in male mode! Nowadays I 'dress' when I go shopping! Hugs!

wearingtanpantyhose
01-11-2012, 11:52 AM
I've done it lots of times, but I don't make a big deal out of it. I don't come out of the dressing room and parade in front of the mirror wearing a skirt for example unless the store is empty and the sales associate knows and even likes the idea I'm shopping for me. I must admit it's a rush to have a clerk tell me how pretty my legs are!

LIKETODRESS2
01-11-2012, 12:22 PM
I gone to maurices and tired on jeans skirts and dresses. I alwasy went bqack to the same gilr she was great I got used to her and let here see me dressed in what i was trying on she was preatty cool but moved. I have tried on formal dresses at sever diferent storea always let the SA see me. I tryon the lace up dresses a few have laced me up

Lorileah
01-11-2012, 12:25 PM
I have tried on tops and shoes many times. I have tried on coats too. My SO used to like putting lipstick on me but I would always wipe it off :)

CamillaCD
01-11-2012, 12:36 PM
Yes, that is the usual way I shop anything feminine. Never had any problem.

Cheryl T
01-11-2012, 06:41 PM
Mostly just jeans and some slacks, but before one Christmas party a few years ago I needed a pair of shoes to go with my dress. I told my wife and she suggested we go shopping. I just wore pantyhose under my jeans and we went to the store. She found a cute pair in my size and I just slipped off my mules (yes, women's mules) and slipped into the heels for fit. I walked around a little, got some looks and decided I didn't like them so off we went to another store.
Was fun anyway....love the stares. People really make some strange faces when they see something like that.

Brenda456
01-11-2012, 07:54 PM
I have done it too. The first time or two is a bit nerve wracking, but after that it is fun.

Launa
01-11-2012, 08:25 PM
I have a real good womans clothing store in my city. The owner gets me to use the change rooms when I'm shopping there in drab and all the other female customers are right there too. If I put on a dress she will say come out so we can have a look then she gives me some advice. I still feel uneasy but it will get better.

larry
01-11-2012, 08:29 PM
Now this sounds like a dream come true to me

I have a real good womans clothing store in my city. The owner gets me to use the change rooms when I'm shopping there in drab and all the other female customers are right there too. If I put on a dress she will say come out so we can have a look then she gives me some advice. I still feel uneasy but it will get better.

Eryn
01-11-2012, 09:28 PM
Every once in a while I'll find something while in drab and just take it to the men's dressing room. One time while shopping at Penneys my wife was going through a rack of dresses and held up a gorgeous turquoise one. It was a size 8 and I wear a 12, but Mimi said "It looks big to me" so we took it to the dressing room and I tried it on. Fit perfect! The size mislabel is probably why it was on the 70% off rack! :)

joanna marie
01-11-2012, 09:55 PM
I have tried on many things in drab at goodwill using the unisex dressing room
at JCP I just take them to the mens dressing room

I also hold items up to myself to check lenght

at payless I wear nylons under my jeans so I just slip my shoes off and try theirs on

WHO CARES WHAT SOMEONE YOU DON'T KNOW OR WILL EVER SEE AGAIN THINKS

Anne2345
01-11-2012, 10:00 PM
When I have taken clothes back to the dressing room, I am too busy looking straight ahead, always straight ahead, to notice whether anyone else notices. LOL! But really, what does it matter anyways? Or so I am learning . . . . :)

Karren H
01-11-2012, 10:00 PM
Always trying on shoes right there in the shoe isles... And fem jackets... And cardigans. And always holding dresses and skirts up to myself to see how they look.... Before I tke them to the fidding room...

fran46
01-11-2012, 10:26 PM
I've tried on women's clothes, while shopping as a male, at least a hundred times. In such stores as Ann Taylor, Banana Republic, Express, Cache, Macy's, Dillard's, Juicy Couture, White House/Black Market, Everything But Water, Anthropologie, Nordstrom, Talbots, Bebe, and, yes, Victoria's Secret. Most recently, a charming maternity boutique named "Pickles and Ice Cream."

I have never experienced a single problem.

AnitaH
01-11-2012, 10:32 PM
I've held dresses up to my self and tried on some shoes and boots a couple of times.

AnitaH

Rachel Morley
01-11-2012, 10:37 PM
Typically, I never try things on in drab because without the correct padding and forms as I can never really tell if it's going to look good or not, that is unless it's just a top or sweater, so no, not really .... BUT ... you said that we would be "able to be seen by others trying on" things and in that case yes, shoes! I have many times openly tried on women's shoes tested them out for comfort by walking around and others when totally in drab and yes others did see me and some even looked at me oddly and presumably thought I was very peculiar :) LOL

naye
01-11-2012, 11:57 PM
Shoes at my local payless, the two SA there are always really kind with me.
Also have tried skirts at oldnavy and some clothes at goodwill.

aly01
01-12-2012, 12:36 AM
I try shoes on all the time. Have done jeans before too.

donnatracey
01-12-2012, 01:24 AM
Not surprisingly, it appears the large majority of us have done so! How else are you going to know if the items fit? Have done so successfully at Penneys, Sears, Ross', Kohls, Walmart, Target, etc - all using the male changing rooms - never a problem.......

calebsmithxd
01-12-2012, 01:25 AM
I've tried on women's pants and jeans at H&M, Hot Topic, and TJ Maxx. I ended up buying the pants at H&M.

I've also tried on what I think were women's boots at Burlington Coat Factory.

Finally, I tried on and bought a girl's shirt at Zumiez.

No issues any time.

My next milestone is going into a women's store and browsing. After that, if I find anything, I would hope I'd have enough courage to ask to try on the item (or items) of clothing.

Sharon B.
01-12-2012, 11:50 AM
I have tried on skirts and blouses while under-dressed as a woman but with drab outer wear on. I really want to go out completely dressed as a woman and do my shopping as a woman not just shopping for clothes but also do my grocery shopping as a woman and to buy makeup as a woman.

MichelleP
01-12-2012, 04:40 PM
Yes. All the time. I try all my clothes and shoes on before I buy them - especially shoes. I either take what I'm interested in to the dressing rooms (mens) or just try them on right there. For the most part, SAs have seen it all before and are often helpful in finding the correct size etc.

natalie james
01-12-2012, 05:23 PM
yep.. actually have. usually outerwear or jeans tho. a few buttonfronts, but no dresses, skirts, or heels.

suchacutie
01-12-2012, 10:23 PM
I always try on shoes before I buy them. Shopping alone or with my wife I've certainly held things up to me and she has held them up to me as well. We've also bought cosmetics together, talking about Tina needing this or that and handing them to me if she found something she liked!

tina

donnatracey
01-12-2012, 10:51 PM
Speaking of shoes, I spent all day at a local mall, part of which was at Payless and The Shoe Dept, trying on numerous shoes (en drab) at both before finding a comfy pair of cute loafers at Shoe Dept. As soon as the SA rang me up, I went out into the mall, sat down and swapped them out with my walking shoes and spent the rest of the day walking in them - no problems at all....:heehee:

Also bought 3 V neck tops, some socks, 2 sports bras and my 1st fem handbag. Sad to say, despite numerous trips to the dressing room, I could not find a pair of jeans that I liked (or fit just right). Maybe tomorrow.......:battingeyelashes:

kimberly36
01-12-2012, 11:38 PM
told the clerk it was for halloween, ended up with a couple nice tight tanks that could be layered and a couple pairs of jeans

silkeze
01-12-2012, 11:55 PM
The funniest thing that happened to me was,I was shopping at a Goodwill store and what looked to be a grandfater and grandmother with two granddaughters about 17&16 were standing in front of the clearance rack and wouldnt leave. So I went to the shoe asile and began to browse when one of the the girls walked up to me( I foregot to mention I was wearing a polo shirt,kahki shorts and tan pantyhose and deck shoes] and rubbbed her legs against mineI didnt think about it until later the grandmother went to the counter and said in a exasperated voice 'theres a man in the back wearing pantyhoe'. I was up front by now. Every one gave her a look like she was crazy. I was up front by now laughing to myself. life is fun!!

lingerieLiz
01-13-2012, 01:02 AM
Yes, I've tried on about anything a woman would wear at one time or another. I've tried on bras in the lingerie department to dresses in the dress department. I've tried on lingerie and womens clothes at Marshal's and most of the other discount stores, but use the men's side.

I've tried on shoes in the women's shoe department along side my wife. Just the other day a woman told me she liked my shoes and showed me her's that were about the same as mine while I was shopping for some new ones.

gretchen_love
01-13-2012, 02:49 AM
A store will pretty much sell you anything... I used to work at JCP and the policy was that if you were dressed as a woman you could use the women's dressing room. I have also been to VS and had bra fitting done, and the SA was completely professional, helping me with size, style, amount of lift etc

Miss Polly
01-13-2012, 03:26 AM
I've tried on quite a few things in stores, from lingerie to skirts, and guess it counts as public as anyone could have seen me taking them to the changing rooms. That said, I make an effort to shop at quiet times and reduce the chance of people noticing - still a little shy.

Similarly for ladies shoes, which I've only started buying this last year, the first couple of times I found a quiet aisle where no-one could see. (It was one of those cheaper shops where all the sizes are already out on the shelves). The last time I bought heels though, I surprised myself with my boldness by not only asking an SA to bring my size, but by trying them on in the middle of a fairly busy shop, with stockinged feet! I even walked in front of the mirror a bit. A couple of people might have glanced over, but no-one seemed to care. I'm starting to realise that people generally don't.

paulaprimo
01-13-2012, 03:42 AM
at first i purchased everything on-line from the security of my home. with each day it gets a little easier for me to go out and buy purses, shoes and make-up...hopefully very soon i'll be able to walk into a store and buy skirts, dresses, bra's and panties...hopefully!!

Krististeph
01-13-2012, 09:48 AM
I have gone many times in male mode shopping for dresses, skirts, etc. I'm honest with the sales associate most of them knowing me when I walk in en feeme or in drab and welcome me with open arms.one of my favorite stores to shop in is bebe.love their clothes. In fact many times the s/a encourage me to wear what I bought right out of the store as they always say it looks cuter than what I was wearing when I walked in. Be honest from the word go and have a ball.

If you can shop at bebe I envy you your size! :-) I've had a few 'standoff-ish' encounters with staff at some stores, but this was some years ago. I'm sure both the stores and myself are getting better at this...

DonnaT
01-13-2012, 12:35 PM
Yes. Shoes and clothes. I even tried on some tops (over a t-shirt) out in the open instead of using a dressing room.

Brenn
01-13-2012, 12:54 PM
Since I dress in mixed mode anyway, I do all most all of my shopping "en drab." Only once was a Talbots store rude to me.

Lucy Furr
01-13-2012, 01:05 PM
When I was in SoCal I found this boutique that carried full fashioned stockings. I went in and started looking. An SA asked me if I was shopping for a gift or for myself? I blurted out "myself". The next thing I know I'm trying on these gorgeous platform heels, dressed as a man mind you. The store was full of women and some offered genuine compliments, and none seemed offended. I bought the shoes and decided to get a waist cincher. The SA helped me try it on in the dressing room. I wore it home. It is still to this day my favorite shopping experience.

~Joanne~
01-13-2012, 04:04 PM
I am still pretty much in the closet other than a few items in front of my GF so I do the "pissing money into a dark hole" routine. I am usually buying things that don't fit but I did go to a mejiers over the holiday and found two sweater dresses at $5 each on a clearance rank that I had to have :) I didnt try them on but a SA approached me and asked if I needed help and I asked her if the dresses would fit me and she said Yes and not another word was said.

Which surprised even myself that I asked her that because the first time I tried to "be brave" and shop I had a really bad experience at another store which is for another time.

evadan
01-14-2012, 08:38 PM
My wife agreed to help me look for a pair of heels so we went to Payless. The store was empty when we got there and we quickly found my size towards the back. Of course, as we are standing there looking at the selection, a large lady comes around the corner to look in the same area. I waited but she wouldn't leave so I finally just tried on a pair of sling backs. They didn't fit so we moved on to look somewhere else. Since then, I have tried on shoes at Payless several times and bought a pair of pumps.

I have been thinking of shopping at Kohl's and trying on some women's clothes. I figure I can just drop some items in the shopping carts they have and head for the men's dressing rooms which aren't supervised.

Randy
01-17-2012, 10:53 PM
I only ever present as male (underdress only) so anytime I try on in a store (Fredericks, VS, JCP, Sears, Target, Kohls, you get the idea) I always do so en-drab. Only once in VS did I have an issue. SA must have been new and had to "check with the manager" before showing me to a dressing room. Use mens changing rooms in department stores and I go whereever they put me when in VS or Fredericks. The enthusiastic SA's make it all worth while.

Regan
01-17-2012, 10:56 PM
This is why the site is so amazing, I never thought of going into a department store grabbing clothes and trying them on in the mens dressing room. I always thought I had to take them buy and hope they fit. Thanks

Krystyna_Marie
01-17-2012, 11:08 PM
I have done it too. The first time or two is a bit nerve wracking, but after that it is fun.

OMG, +1! I have shopped and tried on at the Goodwill and Salvation Army Thrift stores - not exactly Macy's! But I've also shopped and tried on post-New Year's party dresses on sale (!) (I didn't find a one, I don't understand who they make those dresses for!) Marshall's, Ross Dress for Less, Dillard's Outlet, underwear and sleepwear at WalMart (love the "support/shaper" stuff there - great selection, they know their clientele) . Oh, and I shop women's shoes at, well at most places - but I like the selection and brands at DFW Shoe Warehouse, SteinMart, and I love Shoe Carnival because they always carry size 12 shoes and boots, god love em. 9 West doesn't even make anything bigger than a 10 :) (!!!!!!!)

Kisses! KM

JenniferLynn0370
01-17-2012, 11:16 PM
Lord yes; something like a hundred times! I used to really worry about it when I was a teenager and first shopping on my own (never forget buying my first bra at Sears!) but I finally just started shopping and trying things on like I belong there and it seems to work fine.

JamieRog
01-17-2012, 11:50 PM
All the time. Nearly everything I have bought from the women's section was tried on in the store, having been shopping in clothes bought in the men's section. Only once did I get a significant reaction, and that was when I was trying on a little blue dress. :)

Cindia
01-18-2012, 02:24 AM
I've tried on shoes at Payless, seems to be the only place with my size. I've taken things to dressing rooms before, but usually don't go out of the stall. would some day love to go into the dressing room drab and come out dressed and say "I'll wear it home"!

BLUE ORCHID
01-18-2012, 08:58 AM
Hi Kristi, Shoes, jacket blazers, bracelets and wigs.

Rikidee
01-18-2012, 09:25 PM
I have tried on girl's clothes while en drab a couple of times in the last couple of months. One time I was looking at clothes in Maurices and had picked out a dress and a SA came over and asked if I wanted her to start me a dressing room. I said yes and she took the dress to the dressing room. I picked a couple of other items and went to the dressing room and tried them on. She had written my name on the board outside the room (so girly). The other time I was in a Dot's store and had picked out a skirt and blouse the SA asked if I wanted to try it on. I went into the dressing room and put it on and came out to get her opinion. She said it was cute and never batted an eye. Hugs Riki

Sometimes Steffi
01-18-2012, 10:23 PM
Shopping in public and taking it to the dressing room? Let me think. Kohls, Sears, Ross, Burlington Coat Factory, Stein Mart, K Mart, TJ Maxx, Target, Macy's, Sports Authority, Nordstrom's Rack, Payless, DSW, Goodwill, Salvation Army, Maurice's. I usually find what I want, take it to the dressing room and try it on. It's it's really girly, I'll pick up a men's shirt and hide the girly stuff under it as I make my way to the dressing room. If the dressing rooms are monitored, I'll mix in some guy stuff, but all the monitors really want is a count. They rarely check out what I'm bring in.

Some unusual experiences. At one Nordstrom Rack, one shoe was out. You had to get to the shoe counter to pick up its mate. I did. I was there for a special large size shoe sale. I was more afraid of the other customers than the SAs. Who want to stand between a tall or large woman and some cute shoes? I did find a pair of size 11 boots there one time. I always keep a pair of nylon knee highs in my car for just such an emergency. I found a quite place to pull on the boots, and pulled my pants down over them so they looked kind of like guy shoes while I walked around and checked out the fit.

The time I went to Maurice's in Denver, they stayed open late for a gurls private shopping party.

Indeed I have, at Dress Barn. I tried on several outfits with the assistance of the store manager. She was very helpful, bringing me blouses and skirts to try on and then step out of the dressing room to let her see how they fit and look for more tops. It was a dream come true.
Colleen

I went to Dress Bard once en femme, and was treated great. Sunday, I went en drab. Unfortunately, they wouldn't let me use the dressing rooms until close to closing after all the GGs had left. But I still got the royal SA treatment, and got some very cute stuff for cheap. I tried on this silver/gray party dress, and the SA said, That looks really great on you. You just have to buy it, even if you don't get anything else. It was probably part of her sales pitch, but she made it so fun. Yes, I bought it.

GBJoker
01-18-2012, 10:27 PM
The first, and thus far, only, outfit I have bought. Was working at Wal-Mart, and made good friends with the girls who worked the clothing department. One day, got the nerve to ask them for help, and revealed who/what I am. Fortunately, the main girl (highest ranked, or whatever) was the one to pick out the clothes, and demanded I show myself to the three girls, in order that I pass inspection. And... Yeah, ended up working out, and bought the clothes.

Loni
01-18-2012, 10:41 PM
yes i have tried on in the mens area and in front of others right on the floor.
no problem for me if someone was to say "excuse me" i would just say good by. if a sa had this problem i would ask to see the manager on duty.
but i guess i have been blessed on this level, as i have had other lady's say that they look good on me (shoes).
i am lucky i tend to have good taste in clothing. most of the time i get it right. and my mom has taught me how to shop for bargains. even a intersting way to get a discount...at times.
love to shop...just need new credit cards as my are full now.

angelinamuk
01-19-2012, 06:46 AM
not done this as yet, but might be brave enough one day

Rebecca W.
01-20-2012, 05:18 AM
In drab I have been to all of the major stores and consignment shops. I have tried on every item and many of the stores will alllow me to use the ladies dressing rooms:o I have never had a problem and I have had SA's bring the clothes to the dressing room for me. As long as you are nice and focused on what you are there for the stores will help you. I have walked in womens shoes at Macys behind the counter and they could see that I was wearing pantyhose. They were very nice. I have asked the clerk if I can go into the dressing room so that I can wear my new pantyhose home and I have never had any issues. Consignment shops are one of my favorite places for dressing. You do get looks from the other women shopping but that just makes it more fun. The clerks at Macys are very nice and they will help me find the color pantys that I want and the right bra size.I was even given hints on how to prevent runs in the pantyhose. (wash first it tightens the fabric) On my next shopping trip I will go into VS and tell them that I am shopping from myself and not a fictional girl friend. That should be interesting:)
Just let the woman inside of you tell you how to act and it will be as easy as a GG going into the womens departments. Good Luck on your next shopping adventure:battingeyelashes:

jjjjohanne
01-20-2012, 06:46 AM
I have done it many times. It is no big deal. Shopping at The Avenue and Dress Barn have normally been very positive experiences. Normally, if you admit that you are shopping for yourself, you will know immediately whether the SA is uncomfortable with it. For me, that has happened only twice. More often, the SAs have brought more clothes to me while I was in the dressing room. Sometimes, I have stepped out and used the 3-way mirror. I am embarrassed and awkward. Normally, I will not come out if some other customer is around. However, a few times, I have walked out into the store to model what I was wearing to the SAs. Normally, I have done that when I walked into the store as a man in a skirt. I have occasionally received a compliment on my outfit from a customer.

SweetTransvestite
01-20-2012, 02:19 PM
Oh it's the only way I've done it in Goodwill-I spent hours at one week ago. Jeans, skirts, and shorts mainly.

It's cool too cause on two occasions I haven't been alone. :)

TerriM
01-20-2012, 02:43 PM
I have shopped in many places over the years, both in drab and dressed. I have never had any real problems. I like Dress Barn the best. One time I went in drab looking for a fancy outfit for a ball. I told the sales girl that it was for me and she was so helpful. She asked if I wanted to try it on and I said yes. It was perfect and it was on clearance to boot. At checkout she gave me a invite card to bring friends for a shopping party. She was a great sales person. I like shopping dressed better, but don't always have the chance. I think it is getting more and more accepted for a man to shop for women's clothes at least from what i have experienced.

Your Terri

Toni Citara
01-20-2012, 10:04 PM
Yes, I try on shoes when I'm in drab. Love the thrill of finding something sexy and fits.

Paula T
01-20-2012, 10:31 PM
to do my shopping. But I am still to shy to try things on while in drab. In fact I did a bunch of shopping enfemme yesterday. But just can't do it while dressed as a guy. I did try on some shoes once in a Payless. In fact it was a bogo day so I got 2 pairs and of course the SA was real nice and said they were cute shoes.:o

Sandy Banks
01-20-2012, 10:37 PM
Jeans, all the time, went to the dressing room, just brought two pairs up to the sales girl at Banana Rep. and bought the womans pair after a short decision. It was obvious she knew what she was selling me, no problem...........and they fit great(guys jeans make me look like saggy butt bags).:)

Patsy
01-21-2012, 05:21 AM
Oh yeah. But only like unisex stuff - jeans, T-shirts and what have you. Wouldn't try on a bra in public, not yet anyway. If I'm challenged I usually plead ignorance. These are girl's jeans, oh I didn't know. This is the age of the metrosexual after all. Am not at the stage where I can fully admit my leanings. It's a bit like buying sexy underwear, St Valentine's Day coming up, perfect time, It's a present for your girlfriend. By the way I hear they have men's lines in eyeliner and mascara now, useful for the more shy transgender person.

Cristi
01-21-2012, 12:22 PM
I've gotten tired of getting home and finding that things don't fit. Kohls and JC Penney have unattended dressing rooms, so it is easy enough to take a skirt or dress into them to try on.

It is funny that I'm MORE comfortable in such a store completely dressed as a woman than I am as a guy trying to 'sneak' things into the changing room and feeling like everybody is looking at me when I'm browsing through the women's racks.

tamCD
01-21-2012, 12:34 PM
For the moment I only go shopping drab. Last time I was wearing a suit with a coat, a quite masculine outfit.. And then I was trying cute ladies coats in the middle of the crowd, during the sales. I got a few looks but benevolent ones. Then I asked the SA if they had a shorter size. She asked if it was for me and said that it was a women's coat. I said yes, I know with a smile. Everything went fine, I bought the coat, its size is perfect finally.

I realized it's sometimes even better to try clothes directly in the shop if you find a mirror somewhere with nice clothes around and you have the space to move around, try different clothes, vary the distances. On the contrary in a cabin you have a close look but cannot see from a distance.

SANDRA MICHELLE
01-21-2012, 02:52 PM
So many times I wouldn't hazard to count. I have also done it enfemme as many times. I am a bit of a shop a holic but don't necessarily buy a lot of things, just shoes mostly. I have 6 dresses,8 skirts and so many cute tops I can't tell you how many. I also have my 70+ pair of shoes, a girl can never have too many shoes. I have maybe 30 bras but most I never wear anymore so I really should donate them, mostly 38B and C padded bras and I really only like non padded, anyone interested you can PM me and I'll ship them to you.

Jason+
01-21-2012, 05:22 PM
Doesn't matter much whether I've started the day in pants or a skirt I am still obviously me. I have found it so much easier to try it on at the store than go through the return headache. Other than one bad incident at a Sears many years ago I haven't had any issues (their fault I think since I asked first.) All of the places I have shopped so far have had male and female rooms or unisex. I just take what I want to the mens side and don't worry it.

donnatracey
01-21-2012, 11:06 PM
I've gotten tired of getting home and finding that things don't fit. Kohls and JC Penney have unattended dressing rooms, so it is easy enough to take a skirt or dress into them to try on.

It is funny that I'm MORE comfortable in such a store completely dressed as a woman than I am as a guy trying to 'sneak' things into the changing room and feeling like everybody is looking at me when I'm browsing through the women's racks.

Cristi, I agree with you! I shop at Penneys and Sears all the time in drab and just grab the items and head over to the male dressing rooms.....good exercise...:heehee: Have never had a problem.

Now, the other night I went out en femme to the mall for the first time ever!...:battingeyelashes: Once I got into the store (Sears) and relaxed a bit I noticed how much easier it was to browse in the women's section when dressed. I felt so at ease. It was a wonderful experience I hope to more often in the future.

kristamarie
03-07-2012, 12:08 AM
I have never tried anything on in the store. Had to return items many times. Although reading these posts has given me some encouragement to try it. Great thread.

Christie ann
03-07-2012, 12:00 PM
LIke many others, I have tried on anything they had for sale. I got tired of bringing something home and finding out the fit was less than optimal. Now, I just browse the woman's section and try on what ever hits me that day, jeans, tops, skirts or dresses. I have also learned from my GG relations that to go shopping does not always mean you will buy something. Most trips to the store have just been to see the new styles and what I think about how they look on me. It is great fun and no one this century has given me a hard time. This was not always the case...

Renee
03-07-2012, 02:35 PM
I always shop in drab. I have tried on many different items in several different stores and have used the mens dressing room at some and have used the ladies dressing room in most. There have also been times when I shopped with my wife for both of us and we have shared the same dressing room on ocassion. I also try on shoes in the warehouse type shoe stores with women all around. I have had some fantastic experiences and have met some wonderful people while doing all of this. I have posted several of my shopping excursions here in the forum. Dont ever be timid when out shopping. It is soooo much fun and enjoyment.

sue ellan
03-07-2012, 02:56 PM
yes i have tried on bras, skirts, blouses, boots, shoes etc.

never a problem

sue ellan

life is like a roll of tp. the closer to the end the faster it goes.

laurajade
03-07-2012, 03:46 PM
I have tried on shoes at Payless without a problem. If I go into a clothing store, I won't use the dressing rooms without asking. I do politely let the SA's know that I was planning on purchasing for myself and certainly do not want to cause an uproar, but would like to see if this particular item is a good fit. Most of the time, it is not a problem. I go about my business politely and discreetly, attempting to respect the establishment and their other customers.

If the store has dressing cubicles, for lack of a better word, in a separate room, I won't even ask, as that area may feel like a woman-only area to their other customers and, again, I do not want to cause a problem. Dressing rooms which are directly off of the main sales floor are OK as long as I ask first.

I always feel that if you respect the store and their other customers, they will respect you. Works best for me that way.

StevieTV
03-07-2012, 04:05 PM
I've tried on shoes and jackets out in the open. I'm there to buy not waste my money on items that don't fit.

Miriam-J
03-07-2012, 04:18 PM
Well, not by myself. But having a supportive wife has its advantages. In stores with large, lightly guarded dressing rooms, we can take in items for both of us and try them on. Much more efficient than her having to come out and show me after each item, and a lot more fun. She actually initiated this the first time, and has made it a bit of a game each time.

Miriam

queenie
03-07-2012, 08:39 PM
I almost always shop in drab because it's sometimes already a struggle to wriggle in and out of clothes without worrying about ruining my hair or getting makeup on the clothes.

brandi.tgurl
03-07-2012, 10:25 PM
there are often times, things a lady buys that can't be tried on in a public setting. LoL - even if some of them would be a fantasy come true. but, i try on women's shoes all the time, right in the department aisles. I've also tried on jackets/coats.

Aprilrain
03-07-2012, 11:48 PM
yes...............................

Bernadina
03-08-2012, 01:40 AM
Often. Shoes, coats, jackets, cardigans, gloves, etc.

Fiona Lindum
03-08-2012, 05:37 AM
I nearly always shop in drab and have never had any problems.

Lisa-N
03-16-2012, 12:20 AM
I have a few times at Ross and Goodwill. Never aproblem in either place

Blaire
03-16-2012, 12:27 AM
Yes! A cute little sweaterdress from Reitmans, The sales lady thought I was asking her to try it on until I clarified it... No issues. Slow day in the store, so that may have helped.

jaye_cd
03-16-2012, 01:36 AM
I've yet to go out shopping dressed since moving, but I've bought quite a few things after trying them on in drab. One of the better experiences I have had was a few months ago at GAP buying jeans. One of the SA's came over and helped me find the right size and even asked if I was planning on wearing heels with them and found me a pair with a longer inseam!

NitaCD
03-16-2012, 08:39 AM
Last week I went shopping in drab to look for some boots that I had seen on sale at the JCPenny's web site. A very friendly sales girl helped me find the two style of boots (one with heels) in my size 11. When I asked if it would be ok to try them on she said "sure you can" and then she disappeared. Which I thought was strange, but I think that's when her light bulb went on. Anyway, she was still very friendly and professional when I found her to pay for my boots. Still a nice shopping experience.

Krististeph
03-16-2012, 08:53 AM

YES! That's my biggest problem: worrying about the other customers. Not that i'm that worried- i try going 1/2 before closing or right at opening sometimes, and have learned to never loook anyone in the eyes, yet still be polite. hmmm good question.. for a new thread...

Wendae
03-16-2012, 03:26 PM
Yes, when shopping at GW I take the clothes to the men's changing room. No one pays any attention.

Syndi
03-17-2012, 03:16 PM
Definitely have. Starting when I was in my early teens. Used to go to the mall and try on clothes at Sears, Mervyn's , Shepler's, The Gap and basically anywhere I could get away with it. The hardest part is being confronted by a persistant sales lady and having to admit they are for me because I have no idea what sizes I wear. The reactions went from none all the way to negative. At one time I was actually at the counter ready to pay and was asked to leave by a store cop.