PDA

View Full Version : Calling all Irish cailÃ*nÃ*

Foxglove
01-11-2012, 12:10 PM
Hello, Irish girls!

There's a lot of advice given on this forum about how to go shopping for yourself. No need to fear walking into a shop, selecting things for yourself, trying them on, getting help from the SA's, and so on.

I like the idea myself, but haven't got a lot experience with it. And somehow I wonder if shopping in this way might not work better in the US or UK. But is Ireland really ready for it?

In the small town I live in, there's absolutely no way I could go shopping for much of anything. Jeans, perhaps, but I don't want any women's jeans. Shoes, barely possible maybe. But shopping for any of the nice stuff I really want is out of the question.

Is it perhaps possible in the bigger cities, Dublin, Cork, Galway? If anyone has any experience in shopping in person for themselves, I'd really be curious to know about it--how easy you find it, how friendly and accepting people are, etc.

Best wishes, Annabelle.

kimdl93
01-11-2012, 12:29 PM
I really think the reaction in a small town shop, in Ireland or a small US town, would depend on the individual proprietor. If I was the owner or SA within a small shop in a small town, I'd welcome the business. But, I'm of Scandinavian descent...and know little of the Irish. (Although my ancestors used to visit Ireland on occassion for trade and cultural exchange, I think)

shybi
01-11-2012, 12:32 PM
hi annabelle

i go shopping for all my own clothes, i dont go out in wendy mode only as a guy. it dont bother me looking at all the clothes if i see something i like and it's in my size i buy it i think all the shops are bothered about is getting a sale. i did get some funny looks a couple of months ago when i when to get a new wig and asked if i could try it on first but they were ok and even gave me a mirror to check it in.

wendy xxx

Foxglove
01-11-2012, 04:53 PM
hi annabelle

i go shopping for all my own clothes, i dont go out in wendy mode only as a guy. it dont bother me looking at all the clothes if i see something i like and it's in my size i buy it i think all the shops are bothered about is getting a sale. i did get some funny looks a couple of months ago when i when to get a new wig and asked if i could try it on first but they were ok and even gave me a mirror to check it in.

wendy xxx

Thanks for this, Wendy. And was this in Ireland?

But, I'm of Scandinavian descent...and know little of the Irish. (Although my ancestors used to visit Ireland on occassion for trade and cultural exchange, I think)

Hello, Kim. Yes, we did have a few exchanges, if I recall my reading correctly. But I don't think any of them involved women's clothing.

Annabelle

Noortje
01-12-2012, 05:41 AM
I have done a bit of shopping in Dublin. I was in boy mode, and just went to big stores, looked around, and bought stuff. I did not try anything on. In Marks and Spencer I think I got followed around a bit by a security lady, but nothing happened. Of course, since there were two seas and a kingdom between me and the country I live in, I was a lot less nervous about being outed.

Foxglove
01-12-2012, 08:15 AM
Thanks, Noortje. That would agree with the feeling I have. In Dublin, you can do something like that, as long as you don't get carried away. I'm not at all sure how people would react to your wanting to try stuff on. Ireland has changed a lot over the last generation, but exactly how open it is, as far as CD goes, is hard for me to gauge.

Best wishes, Annabelle.

susancheerleader
01-13-2012, 05:03 PM
This is a good topic and good timing. I am going back to Ireland after a 10 year hiatus. I used to go there at least once a year, and one year went back 5 times! I stay in the Cork area most of the time.
I only started dressing 5 years ago, so I have never been dressed there. When I go back, I plan to take some clothes to dress and hopefully do some shopping too.

Beverley Sims
01-13-2012, 06:24 PM
I will let you know what I think in a fortnight. I will be there again then.
Ireland is a small close knit community and extremely conservative from my previous observations.
You do something in Galway, Cork or any one of those western towns it would be through the neighbourhood in no time.
I read another thread from someone in mid west Scotland and If they are north of Glasgow, they have problems too.
No one lives there. They all congregate in the east.
Germany is a bit of a suprise, they might have a sex museum in Berlin but CROSS DRESSERS!!!
They have a lot of places with fantasy clothing as well.
I inquired about a good quality "Dorothy" outfit 29 Euros. I was told get the girl to come in and when I suggested that I might want it for myself,
I got a rather terse reply. So I am not as smart as I thought in judging the situation.
What happened is I said I was thinking of going to a party with a wicked witch.
The reply was "I think you are too old to do things like that. Act your age."
At that stage I just moved on.
All the best with your adventures Annabelle.

Leslie Langford
01-13-2012, 08:36 PM
You would think that with the vaunted former "Celtic Tiger" having been turned into a pussycat as a result of the recent European financial meltdown and emergency bailout initiatives, shopkeepers in Eire would be eager for any kind of business and would welcome all CDers with open arms and without reservation - even in establishments in small towns away from the major urban centres.

Foxglove
01-14-2012, 05:45 AM
I will let you know what I think in a fortnight. I will be there again then.
Ireland is a small close knit community and extremely conservative from my previous observations.
You do something in Galway, Cork or any one of those western towns it would be through the neighbourhood in no time.

You're right, Beverley. Ireland being so small, it is close knit in ways, which has its advantages and disadvantages. One of the disadvantages is that everybody knows what everybody's up to, which is why shopping in the small town I live in is not a good idea. Although I'm not exactly high-profile, I'm well-known enough in this town, and everybody knows I live on my own. So if I'm buying stuff here and there, everybody would guess who I'm buying for. And that wouldn't exactly help me in a town this size.

One of the best Irish jokes I've ever heard (though it goes back a ways) and one that will give foreigners an idea what life in this country is like goes like this: If the Watergate scandal had occurred in Dublin, everybody would have known who Deep Throat was, and Nixon would have held on to office. I myself have no doubt that's true.

You would think that with the vaunted former "Celtic Tiger" having been turned into a pussycat as a result of the recent European financial meltdown and emergency bailout initiatives, shopkeepers in Eire would be eager for any kind of business and would welcome all CDers with open arms and without reservation - even in establishments in small towns away from the major urban centres.

Hi, Leslie. The much vaunted Celtic Tiger was never anything but a pussycat--or maybe a conjuring trick with smoke and mirrors. And now there's an awful mess to be cleaned up, and there's still considerable doubt as to whether we can actually do it. Businesses would probably be glad of the sales, yes, but as I indicated above the impact on my reputation in our small town would be extremely negative.

Ireland has changed a lot over the last generation or so and is definitely more open than it used to be. E.g., people don't kow-tow to the clergy the way they used to. Too many sexual abuse stories have seen to that. But since I don't live in a large city, it's hard for me to gauge attitudes towards CDing there.

Best wishes, Annabelle

noeleena
01-14-2012, 06:50 AM
Hi,

Depends on who you know or dont.

Most of the shops we have been in Jos & i not had any issues, as it was i used to buy clothes for Jos both in the shops & on line ,later of cause i brought my own womens clothes,

again because this has been over may years, 16 here were we live or have lived in two other small Villiges you get known & ask & get help in whats looks good on you as to hair wigs make up & any thing you need. & i told them what i was /am. & thats even better as we talk about other things like family trips work or whats going on where we live, i have a lot of lovely friends because i was open about myself, & of cause Jos as well.

...noreleena...

Leslie Langford
01-14-2012, 11:57 AM
Hello again Annabelle,

I don't know if there are any Long Tall Sally stores in Eire, but I imagine that there would be, seeing as that is a growing U.K.-based organization that recently also took over the (formerly Canadian-based) North American chain of Tall-Girl Shops .

They are openly crossdresser-friendly as you will discover if you log onto their website, go to the "Community" forum section, and check the archives using the search function after entering either the words "crossdresser" or "transgender". I've posted there myself under the username "Miss Construed":

http://community.longtallsally.com/forum/

In fact, there was a recent article in the Toronto Star reviewing their new flagship store here, and in it, a direct reference was made to the fact that they routinely serve crossdressing customers as well:

http://www.thestar.com/living/shopping/article/1111590--at-this-heartland-town-centre-store-finding-clothes-for-tall-women-isn-t-a-stretch

Considering that this is Corporate policy emanating from the highest levels, you should have no problem shopping there, assuming that you can find a nearby store and that their sizing works for you as well.

Foxglove
01-14-2012, 01:10 PM
Hello, Noeleena! I know by your many posts that you have been at this for much, much longer than I. Although I got started CDing as early as most of the girls here, unlike you, I never got my act together when I was young. I regret that now, though there's no point in having regrets. What it does mean for me now, though, is that if I want to come out in a small town like this one, it's going to cause me huge problems. So big that I'm not sure I want to take them on. Would it make sense for me to move to a bigger place? Possibly. It's one thing I'm thinking about these days.

And thanks, Leslie, for your tip. I did google Long Tall Sally's and found that there used to be a shop in Dublin. Unfortunately, it's now closed. It appears that UK shops will have stuff delivered, so that may be an option. However, given that they specialize in clothes for taller women, I'm not sure how much I'll find with them. I'm about as "un-tall" as you can be. I'll definitely have a look at them, though.

Best wishes, Annabelle.

Pleated skirts
01-18-2012, 08:52 AM
Time to take a day trip up to Dublin.
In any of the chain stores you will have no problem, the staff are trained to be nice to all their customers. Cinderella shoes in Stephens green sell only larger sized shoes but are pricey. For lingerie head for M & S they have a great selection, even AA cup. Dont be afraid to ask a sales assistant for help, if you are too shy to say it is for yourself just say it is for a special friend.

For online shopping try littlewoods and oxendales, go to there websites and you can request a catalogue. Oxendales is a little old fashioned but they have larger sized shoes.

The only incident I have ever had was in Dunnes stores when a plus sized lady came up to me and said louldly "Its ok for you looking for something with your figure" and stormed off.

Its not the 1960's here any more so dont be afraid to get out there.
Happy shopping

Foxglove
01-18-2012, 11:53 AM
Thanks, Skirts! It's always so nice to have personal testimony.

Recently I ordered some stuff on-line from Debenhams. I was pleased with the clothes themselves, the prices and delivery. I've already looked at the two websites you mentioned, and they have some nice things as well. But of course nothing compares to shopping in person, and there's some stuff--especially dresses, skirts and shoes--that I wouldn't want to order on-line. So it's good to know that things are a bit more relaxed now. Of course, Dublin is generally more open than the rest of the country.

I don't have to worry about finding large sizes, by the way. The small sizes do me very nicely. Thanks so much for your reply.

Best wishes, Annabelle

t-girlxsophie
01-18-2012, 08:33 PM
Mingle with Father Ted and his fellow Priests in the Lingerie Department and you will be ok Annabelle:D

Sophie

Foxglove
01-19-2012, 03:58 AM
Aye, Sophie, if they were only interested in lingerie, you'd be right. But with all the child abuse scandals these days, do you really want to be seen in their company? Sure, most of them are decent men, but still, a girl has to think about her reputation, doesn't she?

Best wishes, Annabelle

SusieB
01-19-2012, 10:07 AM
Hi Annabelle

Pleated Skirts is right on the money. There is no problem with shopping in the larger stores in Dublin, Cork or Limerick. I havent tried Galway. No body cares and no body will say a word. I buy all my lingerie in M&S and am sitting here in a skirt I purchased this AM in Dunnes. Have always found the SAs courteous although I have never had the guts to ask for assistance. I always shop in drab and have never tried anything on. I suspect that attempting to do so might be problematic.

Just go for it and enjoy.

Susie.

Foxglove
01-19-2012, 11:30 AM
Thanks, Susie! I suspect you're right. Buying stuff is one thing, trying it on is another. Maybe that's a bridge too far. It's always so hard to know about these things. But your report is encouraging as well.

Annabelle

Chrisnel
03-31-2012, 05:54 PM
I really think the reaction in a small town shop, in Ireland or a small US town, would depend on the individual proprietor. If I was the owner or SA within a small shop in a small town, I'd welcome the business. But, I'm of Scandinavian descent...and know little of the Irish. (Although my ancestors used to visit Ireland on occassion for trade and cultural exchange, I think)
Kimdl93 - LMAO - your ancestors took back with them the Irish sense of humour - I agree with what you say and suggest if Annabelle is not comfortable in the small town that she take a drive to somewhere distant - she need not go so far as Scandinavia.

Skyeyes
04-01-2012, 07:11 AM
I don't think you would have a problem in Dublin. They have a great bondage store, so I am sure a man shopping for lingerie and ladies clothing would not be a problem. Cork and Galway should be fine as well.

Foxglove
04-01-2012, 09:37 AM
I don't think you would have a problem in Dublin. They have a great bondage store. . .

Thanks for these latest replies. I did in fact make a recent raid on Dublin (in TG, not Scandinavian fashion, though) and had no problem. No questions asked. I described the experience in a fairly recent thread, "Lessons Learned".

I'm now considering the question as to whether I can buy make-up there. There are certain items I'm a bit leery about buying in a shop--bras, make-up, wigs. For me, if you buy those, you're openly declaring yourself TG. Or maybe not. I believe I need to rethink the question. One problem with buying stuff like make-up is the name of the online shop you're buying from. If it's "Beauty 4 U", e.g., it raises the question as to what the postman or the landlord is going to think. I may be better off just taking my courage in my hands and buying what I need in person.

And thanks, Skyeyes, but I'm not into bondage. I was once married and divorced, so I lost my taste for that sort of thing.

Best wishes, Annabelle

tara t
04-01-2012, 09:48 AM
This is a good topic and good timing. I am going back to Ireland after a 10 year hiatus. I used to go there at least once a year, and one year went back 5 times! I stay in the Cork area most of the time.
I only started dressing 5 years ago, so I have never been dressed there. When I go back, I plan to take some clothes to dress and hopefully do some shopping too.

cork has changed a lot in ten years . shoppings much better,you should enjoy it .

i was in dublin yesterday on business and had a few hours to kill so decided to go shopping .i had not been shopping alone for a good many years as my so usually shops with me. i realy enjoyed it and got myself nice white sandals,a plain black skirt, a stretchy creased look black skirt, a nice white blouse with embroidered front,2 black sheer tops (one dotted) , a black lacy top ,a black net top and a lovely purple see through top ,some hair bands and a few beauty products. no problems in any shops although a woman did give odd looks as i tried on sunglasses :-) .all in it was a good day but i really overspent .of course my so will be laying claim to half of it now but i dont mind.
a few weeks back i got embarrassed though as i was buying my nice knee high suede high heel boots .i took the one from the shelf and went to buy them ,it was pretty obvious they were for me as the are size 9 , the other boot was missing so i stood there holding one boot as one customer after another passed me at the till while the assistant looked for the missing boot. im normally pretty chill in situations but i was fairly blushing that day ,they had to search the whole shop for the boot and it took about 25 minutes . it was well worth it though as i really like the boots now.
i don't think there's any problems with shopping in women s shops in city's and shopping centers .tips i would give is to remain calm and non flustered ,treat it very casual and best tip from me would be....... do it early in the morning, there's a lot less people about to be worrying about .

Tara

ReineD
04-03-2012, 02:21 AM
It took a few years before my SO was comfortable shopping for herself. Part of this was presentation and the other part was developing a feel for where to go. She's rather thorough and for many years, she'd go to places in guy mode and scope them out first. She paid attention to her instincts and if he felt it was OK, then she'd return dressed.

She's comfortable in the mainstream now and she doesn't do this anymore, but there was a period of shall we say, research and development.

You may simply need to do the same. Spend a weekend in Dublin and go to several shopping areas. Once you find an area that you feel is OK, return the next day dressed. If, while out dressed you stop feeling comfortable, you can return to your home base and try again another time.

Eventually it will all fall into place.

Foxglove
04-03-2012, 03:16 AM
For the most part I'm comfortable shopping in drab. As for shopping dressed--sad to say, I think it'll be a while before I can even begin to think about that. That day will come, hopefully. But I'm going to let it come in its own time. I won't push it.

I also have the problem that although Dublin's the handiest big city for me, I'm still some distance away. I go down and back on the train. I don't really have a "home base" there. I suppose I could make my son's flat my base--except that I'm not out to him. So there's that logistical problem concerning shopping dressed.

I believe I'm going to try and get a wig next week. A friend pointed out to me a wig shop that has a reputation for being TG-friendly. So, I think I'm going to visit that place soon.

At any rate, I still have a lot of things to get used to. I'm opening up bit by bit. I'm learning that you might be a bit nervous buying something, but once it's bought, it seems like no big deal. I'm also getting used to the idea that people may guess I'm TG. I tell myself, "So what?" It's not like it's something shameful. But I don't really feel like pushing myself too hard right now. I think it will come in its own time.

Annabelle

eire emma
04-03-2012, 12:00 PM
Hi, I'm new here and have just registered. I've been out en femme in cork city a few times and never had any problems. A few wild stares ! but no hostility. Hoping to try out Dublin soon. Bye for now. Emma

Foxglove
04-03-2012, 12:09 PM
Hi, Emma, and welcome! As I mentioned in another recent thread of mine, I was with a T-girl in Dublin just a couple of days ago, and she said she didn't generally get too much trouble there. We were walking through the city centre and nobody was paying her any mind. I suppose that bit by bit I'll get a feel for what's on and what isn't.

Best wishes, Annabelle