PDA

View Full Version : Ever been to a Therapist?

Janelle_C
01-11-2012, 02:02 PM
:)I have my first one next week I'm so nervous and excited at the same time. I was a flooded with emotions when I was on the phone with her to make the appointment I had never in my life told someone that I was a cder except my wife. I'm not going there to get cured I'm go to help me sort out my feelings. This past year I CD so much more I change into Shy mode as much as possable and when it goes to long between I get cranky. I think about it way more than I used to. I can't wait for next week to get her. I have to thank my wife she was the one that suggested for me to find someone to help me sort out my feelings with. She says she love me and just want me to be happy but I don't now how far she is willing to go. One thing at a time I guess.:battingeyelashes:

moondog
01-11-2012, 02:07 PM
I have an appointment with a therepist tomorrow evening. She specializes in transgender and sexual identity issues and I'm really hoping she can help me with everything that's bouncing around in my head. I'm also married and told my wife about wanting to dress up fully, she was not at all happy about it and we haven't spoken about it since. I'll post on Friday how it all went.

Anne2345
01-11-2012, 02:31 PM
I see a psychologist regularly. I cannot express enough how helpful my sessions have been. In my mind, every topic is fair game - transgender issues, family, work, depression, etc. Honesty is the key, however, to a successful and fruitful experience. I have been more honest with my psychologist than I have been with any other person in my life, including myself. And it is through this honesty, this ability to delve deep into the core and truth of internal matters, that true strides occur, and progress is made. So you should not be nervous. Instead, embrace the opportunity, open the gates, and journey on. You will do well . . . . :)

Tania D
01-11-2012, 02:42 PM
I have just started and have been to two sesions so far,it is the best thing I have ever done and I regret I did not do it years ago. Like you it was my wifes suggestion to help me come to terms with where I fit within the TG spectrum. It has given me so much confidence that next Tuesday I have an early afternoon appointment and I am going fully dressed as Tania. This is something I would not have dreamt of doing even two months ago. My advice is to go for it and see where it takes you.I wish you luck

Barbra P
01-11-2012, 02:47 PM
Hi Shy Girl

I’ve been going to a Therapist for the last seven or eight months, one session per month. My Therapist told me in the first few minutes that if I was seeking a cure than I was wasting my time seeing her, on the other hand if I was seeking help accepting my condition than we could go forward.

You need to be totally truthful and upfront with your Therapist; there isn’t anything you can say that she hasn’t heard before and she can’t help you if you hold back information. I think you will find that your time with your Therapist is enjoyable and the time will fly by. She may ask a few questions but I think for the most part she will just allow you to tell her about yourself, how long you have been crossdressing, how far you go with it, how far you’d like to go, etc. On a few points mine asked me to clarify something I had said, expound further. She is not there to make you feel uncomfortable, quite the contrary, her job is to make you more comfortable with who you are and accept yourself.

I too was somewhat nervous going in for my first visit, but I had a two-hour session with a Counselor before being referred to my Therapist and that helped me with what to expect and I look forward to the sessions now. I was somewhat surprised me when she said that she would like me to come in dressed en femme, my last three sessions have been with Barbra. The first one was scary walking into a crowded medical center and sitting in the waiting area with other people until my appointment time, but when the door opened and she announced “Barbra, you can come in now” I totally relaxed and we spent a very enjoyable 55-minutes chit-chatting.

My Therapist would like me to dress more often and get out and experience the world as a woman and unfortunately my home life (read Wife) doesn’t allow me that much freedom. My Wife tolerates my dressing to a point and one of the things my Therapist is working on is how to deal with my Wife.

Relax and have a good time, I really think you will enjoy the experience.

StaceyJane
01-11-2012, 02:48 PM
Seeing a therapist is a really good way to deal with a complicated emotional situation. I started seeing a therapist almost 2 years ago about TG issues and other family issues. I have made such great strides and feel so much better.
Remember, in order for therapy to work you have to be completely open and honest both your therapist and yourself.

Debutante
01-11-2012, 02:49 PM
I have been to several therapists... some much better than others regarding gender issues.
But keep in mind: underneath all our gender stuff is other stuff that needs to be addressed.
You, in truth, have to deal with that: inner child, familiy issues, self-esteem, anxiety, et al.
Get a good one that can deal with the package of issues that you present.
Many are poor as to TV, TS and gender issues... good ones are hard to find.
Then I married a psychotherapist...! But that's another story!

elizabethamy
01-11-2012, 03:06 PM
Shy,

I am having the best therapy experience (of several) in my life right now. It's because of a combination of things -- what Anne said, this time I'm not holding anything back, I"m begin completely honest, that's the most important. Probably second in importance is that my therapist is aware that this is not just about transgender issues. That, as Debutante said, there's all kinds of stuff going on with anyone beyond just the one issue. If you get a therapist who's too quick to tell you what to do and too quick to assign you a label of transsexual, fetishist, or whatever, then you probably have the wrong therapist. The other thing I have to offer is that this takes time. My therapist is telling me when I get too anxious that not everything can be revealed all at once. It is working, the knowledge is coming, the fear is melting away, but in its way and in its time. Trust the process. Be well, and good luck.

elizabethamy

Elle1946
01-11-2012, 03:09 PM
YES!! And they can be a great help.

meganmartin
01-11-2012, 03:46 PM
Yes they can be great if you have the right one.

Mine is a female to male transguy. Great perspective on things and really understands the community and the gender issues as a whole. Great guy, would love to have a beer with him.

Nicola2876
01-11-2012, 05:50 PM
I found talking to a therapist a massive help and over the months I sorted alot of things out in my head. She showed empathy and compassion without judgement which was just what I needed.

I really hope you get what you need from the sessions

Good luck x

Miranda-E
01-11-2012, 06:42 PM
I needed the letter they write. Once I got that I stopped paying them 10 times what I made at the time.

kimdl93
01-11-2012, 06:43 PM
yes I have, and it was helpful for me to learn that I wasn't a criminal and needn't feel guilty about who and what I am. Its a process tho - please give yourself and your wife plenty of time to get adjusted to your new reality.

docrobbysherry
01-11-2012, 08:45 PM
Just relax and be aware of what a good therapist WON'T DO! She shouldn't try to cure u OR push u to dress more! As Barbra's above seemed to have done! (Maybe I misunderstood?) That's NOT what they do!

Mine blew thru my CDing in less then 1/2 hour and moved on to my IMPORTANT ISSUES!
I should add, I'm simply a CD and don't even feel TG. Much less TS! If gender IS a serious issue for u, she'll know and help!

AnitaH
01-11-2012, 11:04 PM
I've been going for some time now, like most here it was at the suggestion of my wife that I started. (really it was stronger than a suggestion) I was against it at the time but went because of her. I'm so glad I went. As one with severe suppression issues I was more honest with my therapist than I was with myself, that helped a lot. I also concur that it never is just about the trans-gendered issues and it may take time to sort things out. A good therapist is an immense help.

AnitaH

Steph.TS
01-12-2012, 03:05 AM
I've been going for almost a year now, and at nearly $200 a pop I feel it's worth it, the first time I went to therapy I felt like a weight was lifted off my shoulder, freer and with that happier. Part of me wanted to open up about my trans side of myself to everyone in life, but I had enough fear and desire of self preservation to hold it in.yesterday I went dressed as a woman, the amazing thing about that is not once have I ever left the house as a woman before. it amazed my therapist to see this.

whowhatwhen
01-15-2012, 11:28 PM
This thread popped into my mind after reading through the please explain thread.

It's really a shame that it would cost so much, I'm sure there are many people (myself included) who would love to be able to talk to someone but simply cannot afford it.
Unfortunately it's not covered here by our government health plan, but it really should be accessible to everyone at least partially subsidized.

Christinedreamer
01-16-2012, 12:00 AM
I went twice. The first visit I noticed the guy had super frilly dolls all over the place. Sort of the girly- girl sissy style of outfits. He had me sit in a comfy chair with some sort of leather encased series of magnetic coils inside under the seat, arms and on the back that once the control unit was adjusted for my age and weight, was supposed to generate low frequency vibrations that were intended to be almost hypnotic. Talk about silly claptrap! He immediately started in on trying to convince me to have SRS without really knowing anything about me.

The second visit was with a female "doctor" (advertised as such in the Dallas med journals) who spent the majority of MY 125.00 hour session talking about HER problems. That was enough for me.

Annaliese2010
01-16-2012, 12:12 AM
Therapist? Psychologist? Neuropsychopharmacologist or justa psychiatrist? God..wouldnt They love to see 'justa' in fronta their title? LOL... Um....nope not me. They're crazier than the average bear IMO. God...

But oops! I'm srry...I guess they DO do some good Sometime. Aww....now i feel bad. No...they can be life-savers at times. Then again I can get a roll of those in the candystore, a buck twentynine. Mmm... Cherry's my fave... Luv to suck em till they mmmelt.

Knowatt I mean baby babe? :battingeyelashes:

patti1569
01-16-2012, 12:27 AM
There are only 6 people in the world who know about me and 3 of them are therapist. I have only had good experiences with the ones that I have seen. I went to them all for different reasons, but felt the need to tell them about my dressing because it is an important part of who I am and felt that they should know. They were all great and excepting and never made me feel any thing other than comfortable. I remember one of them so fondly. She was so understanding and encouraging of me. I would cry just knowing that she knew so much about me as a person than almost no one else in the world knew. Just that was so important to me and really helped me accept myself in a way that I never knew was possible. I think you will find just being able to tell someone about yourself will be very liberating! Good luck!

DanaR
01-16-2012, 12:39 AM
About six years ago, I was going through a fairly stressful situation at work and took a medical leave; which was something a therapist and I thought would be a good move. She was very understanding of all that was going on in my life and I told her all about me. After several sessions, I asked her if she would have a problem with me coming to my appointments dressed. She told me that would be fine with her. So on my therapy days, I would take the day off of work, go to my appointment and then go out.

Jorja
01-16-2012, 12:45 AM
Yes, I see a psychiatrist twice a month. I don't bang my head on the walls or desk near as often now days. So I guess she is helping. She told me that next month we will take up that matter of disabling the brakes on my ex's lawyer's car :heehee:.

Really, I am just kidding about all that above. I used to see a therapist on a regular basis before, during, and after my transition. She was an invaluable asset to me. Once I could see and understand that I could do this on my own, I didn't have the need to continue with her. We are still really good friends and I know if I ever needed her help again, she would be right there for me.