PDA

View Full Version : Coming out as Transgendered wasn'y as bad as I thought

michelleinktown
01-11-2012, 06:35 PM
Well, here I am out at work which went very supportive and last night to my Mom which seemed ok although she was confused. I will have to send my Dad an email and I think it will crush him. I hope that I don't loose him and that he will at least try to understand. Since telling people that I am transgendered I have found that it really wasn't that bad of an experience and most of what I thought was going to happen actually didn't. I still see people pointing at me and I know they are talking about me but I really don't care anymore what people think.

How you have all came out as transgendered people and what experiences did you have. I tried to find a forum on this but couldn't because there are so many on here but would happily post this in the appropriate forum. I choose this one because this was more about being transgendered that coming out in any other way.

Michelle

Kristy_K
01-11-2012, 08:39 PM
Congratulation on coming out Michelle. It may not be easy but the rewards are great.

Some of my experiences are:

The Hr at work told the owners for me and had a meeting with the people that work there and also gave the people a letter that I wrote about my coming out.

I do have people at work that won't talk to me but I also have people that gives me hugs every day at work. But I also work there for 25 years.

I hated to go out before I transition and meet people. Now I hate to stay home and I love to meet people.

I hated what I seen in the mirror before I transition and now people might see a minus one and I see a 10 plus when I look in the mirror.

I haven't had a bad day since I transition. People ask if I ever quit smiling. I say why should I.

I have more friend friends then ever in my life now.

I don't have enough closest space any more. We are making a bed room into walk in closest. There isn't never enough closest space with two woman in the same house.

There isn't enough money in the bank any more because of being a woman. Being a woman isn't cheap. But it is fun.

There are good and bad things about transitioning. I myself focus on the good things and not the bad things that happen to me. Like the woman who I don't know and tells me she is happy for me being me. I don't think about the people the look away or frown at me.

I could keep going with all of the wonderful things that has happen since I transition and how happy I have been since I made that choice. But I hate really long posts. And it would be a long one.

Good luck Hun in your transition. I hope you will have just as wonderful time as I have had so far in your transition.

Life is so short. Enjoy it now and take that chance and be yourself.

Love & Hugs to you,
Kristy

michelleinktown
01-11-2012, 08:48 PM
Funny thing is I think that after 48 years in counselling with myself it has been very easy for me to come out. I am just very afraid of loosing my Dad

Kristy_K
01-11-2012, 09:10 PM
My dad rejected my brother when he try to come out and that shut me up for many years. Now my dad lives in another state and doesn't know about me transitioning. It might hurt him if he finds out but I still have to be me. Other wise there is only one choice left for me. And it is not living.

Hugs,
Kristy

Rianna Humble
01-12-2012, 02:12 AM
I started coming out when a GG colleague asked me one day why I was not wearing a dress to the staff Xmas party :eek:

I am not proud of the fact that I told my managers at work before I told my dad who lives with me, but I had been truly worried about what the shock might do to him at the great age of (then) 88. After a lot of support from people here, I told my dad and his response really amazed me.

Next person I came out to was my diabetes nurse who is also a friend and who recommended one of the doctors in the practice to support my transition. As I used to be prominent in local politics, I told the local leadership of my political party next followed by my family.

Everyone else found out roughly a month after I started my RLE when I was pages 1,3 & 7 of my local paper (as a former prominent local politician I was considered newsworthy) and the local paper sold the story on to the sleaziest of Murdoch tabloids :Angry3: , so I was national news too :eek:

Helen Grandeis
01-13-2012, 03:41 PM

Everyone else found out roughly a month after I started my RLE when I was pages 1,3 & 7 of my local paper (as a former prominent local politician I was considered newsworthy) and the local paper sold the story on to the sleaziest of Murdoch tabloids :Angry3: , so I was national news too :eek:

:) I am glad you have your dad! You can be googled and I read the hatchet job that the tabloids did on you. There is nothing nastier than raw human nature with the veneer of civility peeled back. It is tough not to have privacy; however, you are very tough especially since your are now centered and grounded with your true self.

DeeDee1974
01-14-2012, 01:18 PM
My mom and sister knew I was crossdressing in high school. They found my secret stash and confronted me. They were both really accepting. So telling them I was trans was not a big deal... My dad didn't know until I started transitioning full time. When my dad found out they had known he was hurt about being in the dark. It has taken, but we are rebuilding our relationship.

As far as friends go, I really only have three, all female and they also are super liberal and supportive. For years before I came out they assumed I was gay and always gave me the opportunity to come out. When I got engaged to my ex wife my friend Jenny and I had a serious conversation. She said "if this is what you want I'm very happy for you, but when it comes to love I think we want the same thing". I denied it. I was confused, but now wish I had taken that conversation more seriously. Looking back I already had the support system to come out, but didn't know it.