PDA

View Full Version : Tired of being the man of the house!

ssandy
01-12-2012, 04:57 PM
The dishwasher breaks, the stove won't work, the water softener need repair and guess who it all falls on. Stress Stress Stress. After a period of many years it all catches up to you. (Oh I forgot the neighbor trying to take over your land)

My only release is to slip into my panties and do a really good tuck and just be FEM!

LOVE YOU ALL,

Sandy

PS: MY WALK IS REALLY GETTING TO BE QUITE LADY LIKE...THANKS FOR LISTENING!

Marleena
01-12-2012, 05:07 PM
Calgon take you away!

Sandy, I have a bad feeling about this thread.Get ready.:)

kimdl93
01-12-2012, 05:10 PM
When, as my wife and I did, one purchases an older home, these kinds of repairs are included in the cost of admission. Of course, the unexpected happens, like a burst water supply line flooding the main floor....but such is life. I used to let these things get to me a lot more than I do now. The trick to dealing with this kind of stress isn't panties - its reminding oneself that things are gonna break. Or to put it another way, having realistic expectations. And then put on your panties.

Karren H
01-12-2012, 05:13 PM
Stress? That sounds more like fun!! I ♥ fixing stuff!

kimdl93
01-12-2012, 05:17 PM
I used to drive myself (and my wife) to distraction when I did even fairly minor household repair jobs... getting angry at some mysterious force that kept the job from going exactly the way I wanted it, the first time, without spending 5 minutes to plan and prepare. I finally realized that my BP and marriage would be better if I took my time, expected problems and worked things out calmly. Some of us take longer to grow up than others.

Karren H
01-12-2012, 05:36 PM
I've changed the water heater out so many times I have quick connect couplings on it. Tear down and rebuild the furnace once a year... Its 40 years old. Sent 12 hours tearing the top of the van engine off to repair an oil leak. Put a whole new suspension under it last winter. Its 12 years old. Fun!!

ssandy
01-12-2012, 06:21 PM
I used to drive myself (and my wife) to distraction when I did even fairly minor household repair jobs... getting angry at some mysterious force that kept the job from going exactly the way I wanted it, the first time, without spending 5 minutes to plan and prepare. I finally realized that my BP and marriage would be better if I took my time, expected problems and worked things out calmly. Some of us take longer to grow up than others.

Hi Kim,
Thank you for the advice...I just needed some friends to talk to and I always know that someone like you will help set me on the right path..Sandy

Kaz
01-12-2012, 06:29 PM
Of course you can wear panties while you are fixing things! No it isn't the same I admit and I wouldn't repair roof tiles in stockings, but can go at it with an attitude that says... when it is all done... sandy time!

I suspect you are like me... this stuff is all a chore! But like my wife says... so is cleaning, washing, ironing, shopping, and anything else she reckons she does! But when you have fixed the dishwasher, don't tell me that you aren't just a little pleased with yourself?

This summer I got on the roof and fixed two pantiles (Georgian barn) that had blown off in the winter... yeah it took me that long! Come to think of it it may have been the previous winter! This week we have strong winds... guess which two pantiles have just come off again? I should have got someone in and claimed on the insurance!

Or as you might put it... wasted pantytime!

BTW.. I am always around to talk to!

Eryn
01-12-2012, 06:51 PM
I can relate. Everyone talks about unjustly stereotyping females, but the fact is that when the tough things break it is expected that the person with the Y chromosome is going to fix it. If you can't, won't, or even express a dislike of the task you're considered unmanly and a poor provider. I think that this is one of the strongest gender stereotypes of them all.

BRANDYJ
01-12-2012, 07:04 PM
I will never tire of being the man of the house. I like pleasing my SO with doing the repairs around the house that I am fortunate enough to know how to do most things mechanical, electrical or plumbing related. I feel good when she thanks me and appriciates me for whatever repair I have done. It does my male persona good. But I also like my fem time and happy to say that so does she. I don't see a conflict between my duel gender roles. I embrace them both. I simply get a different kind of satisfaction from either.

LeannL
01-12-2012, 08:23 PM
I've changed the water heater out so many times I have quick connect couplings on it. Tear down and rebuild the furnace once a year... Its 40 years old. Sent 12 hours tearing the top of the van engine off to repair an oil leak. Put a whole new suspension under it last winter. Its 12 years old. Fun!!

Karren,
Over the last year, I have reduced my repairs to out 300,000 mile Dodge Caravan to replacing the radiator, repairing the Body Control Module, new headlights (the plastic was too yellow and scratched), and a new set of brake pads. Of course, I do the oil and filter (often as you could guess) I enjoy it too much and am cheap to boot! My low mileage car (Civic with 250,000 miles) only needs an occasional oil change and brakes in the last year.

Kaz,

I took out the Body Control Module with my forms in. I didn't have a skirt on though :).

Sandy,
Relax, have a driink, think about the job, have a drink, watch a TV show, then get around to fixing things. It is much more relaxing.

Leann

EllieOPKS
01-12-2012, 09:30 PM
I enjoy home projects too. My only rule for doing a home project is I must have the right tools to do the job. Over the years I have accumulated some nice tools. My next project will be to replace a water heater.

SarahLynn
01-12-2012, 10:22 PM
I enjoy .... My next project will be to replace a water heater.

That means some more new tools you know. The latest and greatest of pipe wrenches as well as new duct tape and some sheet metal shears. :D :D :D

Allisa
01-12-2012, 10:31 PM
I am hard wired to fix and build I guess thats why I do it for a career,never tire of it actually, go looking for trouble.My neighbor was always mowing 4' on my side of the line(I like my grass taller)so I set a few traps,it costs him a small fortune every year to keep repairing his mower.Back to the point a hot bubble bath relieves all stress.Then something satin and lace.Bye-Bye,Lisa.

sissystephanie
01-12-2012, 10:32 PM
For many years I was the man of the house and did most of those repairs that have been mentioned. Then my wife died, and I had all my own jobs and also hers! That was almost 7 years ago and after a couple of years I gave up. I just decided to hire other people to do the work, because I was getting to old to do a lot of it. Now I can just wear my panties, and other stuff, and watch them work!!

Ellyn
01-12-2012, 10:36 PM
Karen: It takes a lot of work to maintain a house and it sounds like you have a handle on it. Here is a hint from an old plumber regarding water heater life: Solder, or firmly clamp, a piece of heavy gauge copper wire to connect the two inlet and outlet pipes (assuming you still have copper pipes-works with old iron pipes as well). I don't know what you could do with the new plastic pipe systems. My old water heater logged 30 years from 1979 to 2010. Also, change the anode rod every few years.

Stephanie47
01-12-2012, 10:56 PM
When I get tired of being the man of the house, I slip into a pretty dress and heels along with proper foundation garments, wig and makeup. Then I become a devotee of June Cleaver. No sense in letting the GG woman of the house have all that fun cooking, baking, doing the laundry and ironing, vacuuming and lounging around eating chocolate

silkeze
01-12-2012, 11:01 PM
Hey Marlina,I love Lou Reed, never hear him on the radio!

Marleena
01-12-2012, 11:04 PM
Hey Marlina,I love Lou Reed, never hear him on the radio!

Ahhh..the signature.:) Yeah, he totally rocks!

Btw. This thread didn't go where I thought it might..Yay!

jillleanne
01-12-2012, 11:39 PM
Look at it this way. You could spend a couple of grand a year paying someone to fix stuff for you, or you can do it yourself and spend the money on some very nice femme you and your wife.

lingerieLiz
01-13-2012, 01:06 AM
I don't get it. You don't think that women have to handle these issues? I know several single women that have to deal with these items and more.

PUT ON YOUR BIG GIRL PANTIES and quit whining!

Renee W
01-13-2012, 07:51 AM

Another really good tip for extending the life of the water heater is to drain and flush the tank at least once a year, you'd be surprised at the build up that gathers at the bottom. When I first replaced the WH at our old house, I went to drain it and it wouldn't drain because there was so much gunk clogging it up.

Karren H
01-13-2012, 12:01 PM
Another really good tip for extending the life of the water heater is to drain and flush the tank at least once a year, you'd be surprised at the build up that gathers at the bottom. When I first replaced the WH at our old house, I went to drain it and it wouldn't drain because there was so much gunk clogging it up.

Yeah! Actually mine were failing prematurely because of stray electrical currents. Causing steel to rust fast. It stopped when I bolted aluminum anodes to the copper pipes. Just like on large ships. This water heater has lasted twice the 6 year average.

Karen: It takes a lot of work to maintain a house and it sounds like you have a handle on it. Here is a hint from an old plumber regarding water heater life: Solder, or firmly clamp, a piece of heavy gauge copper wire to connect the two inlet and outlet pipes (assuming you still have copper pipes-works with old iron pipes as well). I don't know what you could do with the new plastic pipe systems. My old water heater logged 30 years from 1979 to 2010. Also, change the anode rod every few years.

My house has all copper sewer pipes... Its amazing and the plumbing is probably worth more than the house! I solved my ionic issue with aluminum anodes bolted to the water lines.

DonnaT
01-13-2012, 12:10 PM
I'm just glad that I can fix stuff that goes wrong. Saves a ton on paying the professionals, which causes me more stress than having to fix something.

moondog
01-13-2012, 12:17 PM
You can also check the sacrificial anode. Most plumbers won't tell you those things need to be replaced periodically.

NicoleScott
01-13-2012, 12:52 PM
Sandy, I have a bad feeling about this thread.Get ready.:)

Sandy didn't say this, but the first thing I thought of is (jumping to a conclusion) the femininity taking over to the point of no longer wanting to do guy stuff, like fixing things. But Sandy didn't say or even imply this. After thinking about it, I think the post was about stress relief. Sorry I jumped. Or did I? Did Sandy slip into panties after fixing things, or instead of?

debbeelee1
01-13-2012, 01:10 PM
I'm the handywoman of the house! I hate paying a "professional" to do a job. I friend of mine has a saying. When he looks at a really, really bad job, he says "That had to have been done by a professional, it's too f***ked up to have been done by an armature"! Most of the time he's right!

Marleena
01-13-2012, 01:17 PM
Sandy didn't say this, but the first thing I thought of is (jumping to a conclusion) the femininity taking over to the point of no longer wanting to do guy stuff, like fixing things. But Sandy didn't say or even imply this. After thinking about it, I think the post was about stress relief. Sorry I jumped. Or did I? Did Sandy slip into panties after fixing things, or instead of?

Nicole, I feared a bit about what is or is not our manly duties (stereotypes). I think Sandy was simply seeking stress relief from guy mode.:)

Laura912
01-13-2012, 01:49 PM
While trying to get a heavy antique desk off the truck with an engine hoist, I realized that wearing the right things under the work clothes makes "the medicine go down" with apologies to Julie Andrews. ;)
Laura

PretzelGirl
01-13-2012, 02:03 PM
I recently had a female friend who had an incident at her house where we agreed she needed to change the locks (I am out to her). So I go over in drab and we pick up a set of knobs and locks. I am trying to install them and the screws are the wrong length and the deadbolt is a different size than the existing hole. So I am putting the locks in, and taking them out, and so on taking forever. Her mother was there too and goes "Isn't it nice when you have a man around to do repairs." I immediately go "Maybe we should get one and this will get done." :facepalm:

Marleena
01-13-2012, 02:35 PM
Her mother was there too and goes "Isn't it nice when you have a man around to do repairs." I immediately go "Maybe we should get one and this will get done." :facepalm:

Lol! Good answer there!

Gianna
01-13-2012, 04:59 PM
I do all the repair work around the house (ie: water heater, disposal, minor car maintenance etc) and just completed building a brick oven in the backyard. I tend to focus on fussy details to ensure I don't have to do the job twice and know that is usually better than a hired guy would do. Since joining I am going to tackle my next few jobs in panties so I can say (to myself) "the best man for that job was a woman!"
Gianna

Foxglove
01-15-2012, 05:34 AM
I've got to be absolutely the world's worst at repairs. One reason I don't mind washing dishes, hoovering the floor, etc., is that those are things that I can at least do competently. I think that at at least half of the repair jobs I've done in my life, I've managed to draw blood (my own) before it was done. I'm not joking. Eventually my strategy became, "Ignore it! Maybe it'll sort itself out." And my motto has become, "Never do today what you can put off to tomorrow."

noeleena
01-15-2012, 07:49 AM
Hi,

Oh dear just love it, spent 50 years fixing things I just got better at it thats all , & fixed things for orthers as well plus worked in the trade, building, & other trades, heck were did i go wrong , after 12 house's of our own plus others done it all & still doing it , both if you like as perceved male & as a woman.

Stress whats that, more if you cant fix things ,

...noeleena...

SweetPea_GG
01-15-2012, 02:20 PM
I love to fix things and would prefer my husband not to lol. For the fact that he gets grumpy and grouchy and yells and swears a lot during the fixing process which in the end takes him longer. So I'll do things on my own so I don't have to deal with the stress of him doing it lol

Shananigans
01-15-2012, 04:35 PM
I grew up with my grandfather as my "father figure." He is a true handyman and worked as a mechanic. His projects were buying old Corvettes and completely restoring them. I spent a lot of my childhood in the garage. (I used to pretend I was some version of Daisy Duke). Anyway, my SO is not really handy. He changed a tire one day an was telling me about it. I was shocked and asked, "Whoa! You know how to change a tire? Good job, baby!" He was all offended and said, "Wtf of course I can change a tire." I love fixing things...I love cars. Nothing makes me feel more like a hottie than when I'm messing with cars. I'm not as good as my grandfather...he scared the Hell out of me with some things. Things that supposedly "blew up in his face and that's how he got to be so damned ugly." But, I still like it. I also have to be pretty domestic. Not only can I spend a day in a garage, but I can cook, clean, and change diapers. Pretty well-rounded. But, I don't find enjoyment in many "domestic" tasks. So, I told my SO that we could trade gender roles in the house if he wanted. It lasted about 5 minutes before he called me unfair for putting this on his plate.

I guess we all can't be well-rounded. Stress? I think women are used to piling on the stress. Give me an 8 hour shift, a car to gut, dishes to do, and a dinner to cook. If I waited on a man to do it all, I'd be dead in a grave with a filthy house and a car that won't start.

SweetPea_GG
01-15-2012, 07:42 PM
I guess we all can't be well-rounded. Stress? I think women are used to piling on the stress. Give me an 8 hour shift, a car to gut, dishes to do, and a dinner to cook. If I waited on a man to do it all, I'd be dead in a grave with a filthy house and a car that won't start.

I couldn't agree more! Lol. My grandfather was also my father figure since my grandparents raised me. He was a carpenter and you could always find me on his sites while he was building homes On the side building my own thing with a hammer and nails Anything handy he was doing I was always there.

cdinmd206
01-15-2012, 07:47 PM

Isn't that hard on the nails? What's the secret?

suchacutie
01-15-2012, 08:11 PM
Karren, Mg anodes work as well and they are available at any marina...used to keep boats from oxidizing!

I enjoy both of my genders, and fixing things in male mode is my forte...I can fix anything ROFL! I find it quite satisfying!

BLUE ORCHID
01-15-2012, 09:16 PM
I enjoy home projects too. My only rule for doing a home project is I must have the right tools to do the job. Over the years I have accumulated some nice tools. My next project will be to replace a water heater.

Hi Ellie, don't forget the expansion tank that's now code

ssandy
01-15-2012, 09:20 PM
Of course you can wear panties while you are fixing things! No it isn't the same I admit and I wouldn't repair roof tiles in stockings, but can go at it with an attitude that says... when it is all done... sandy time!

I suspect you are like me... this stuff is all a chore! But like my wife says... so is cleaning, washing, ironing, shopping, and anything else she reckons she does! But when you have fixed the dishwasher, don't tell me that you aren't just a little pleased with yourself?

This summer I got on the roof and fixed two pantiles (Georgian barn) that had blown off in the winter... yeah it took me that long! Come to think of it it may have been the previous winter! This week we have strong winds... guess which two pantiles have just come off again? I should have got someone in and claimed on the insurance!

Or as you might put it... wasted pantytime!

BTW.. I am always around to talk to!

Kaz thanks for you support. Just knowing people like you are around to talk to is what makes this site so fantastic....Sandy

ssandy
01-15-2012, 09:25 PM
Hi Sue, It's not that I can't so it, it's just that sometimes it all happens at once and I just get that defeated feeling but as you know, there is no one else to so it so I just wipe away my hidden tears and fix it. I like Utah...Sandy

BLUE ORCHID
01-15-2012, 09:36 PM
Hi Sandy, I totaly enjoy fixing and building things @69yrs. it just takes a little longer.
With our house and two daughters houses theres aways something to do.
Plus oil changes & gease jobs tire rotations on all thier cars (About 10 cars)

The only thing that I (Call The Guy) for is the color TV's everything else I can handle.

What's your neighbor doing to your yard???
Do you want a couple of us girls come over and stomp the $#!+ out of him with our stilettos on???

retrofitme
01-16-2012, 02:49 AM
I like fixing things and so does my wife. We've renovated our kitchen together, repainted our house inside and out, installed new shingles. soffit, fascia, and a ton of other projects. Usually if it is a smaller project, I do it myself, but if we get into something more major, then we work together. My wife has a much better sense of style than I do, so she is our interior designer.

From a CDing point of view, I generally do the work in male-mode: I don't want to get my pretty things dirty! :)