PDA

View Full Version : My local/state representative says he would stomp me

Amanda22
01-13-2012, 10:37 AM
I live in Chattanooga, TN. Unfortunately. A state representative from my specific city and county introduced a bill to keep transgendered persons from using the bathrooms of their true/perceived genders. And on top of it, he went on record saying that, "I believe if I was standing at a dressing room and my wife or one of my daughters was in the dressing room and a man tried to go in there — I don’t care if he thinks he’s a woman and tries on clothes with them in there — I’d just try to stomp a mudhole in him and then stomp him dry."

This guy represents the people where I live! Do I feel safe dressing femininely in public in my town? Absolutely not! I'm trying not to overreact, but I don't feel safe where I live. I was going out this weekend, but I think I will stay home, instead.

Here is the full article from this morning's paper:

Bathroom bill loses a sponsor --Transgendered must use facility of birth gender, legislation says

NASHVILLE — Sen. Bo Watson, RHixson, on Thursday withdrew the Senate version of a controversial House measure requiring transgender people to use public bathrooms and dressing rooms that match their birth gender.
Watson, who is chairman of the Hamilton County legislative delegation, said he sponsored the bill as a standard courtesy to local House members. This bill was sponsored by Rep. Richard Floyd, R-Chattanooga.
“I understand Rep. Floyd’s passion about the issue, but we have more pressing issues before us that we need to focus our attention on and we don’t need to get sidetracked,” Watson said.
Floyd said earlier Thursday he introduced the bill after reading a news story about a Texas woman who said she was fired from Macy’s after stopping a male teen dressed as a woman from using a dressing room.
“It could happen here,” Floyd said. “I believe if I was standing at a dressing room and my wife or one of my daughters was in the dressing room and a man tried to go in there — I don’t care if he thinks he’s a woman and tries on clothes with them in there — I’d just try to stomp a mudhole in him and then stomp him dry.
“Don’t ask me to adjust to their perverted way of thinking and put my family at risk,” he said. “We cannot continue to let these people dominate how society acts and reacts. Now if somebody thinks he’s a woman and he’s a man and wants to try on women’s clothes, let him take them into the men’s bathroom or dressing room.”
The bill would charge violators with a misdemeanor carrying a $50 fine.
The bill drew swift condemnation on gay and liberal blogs.
Jonathan Cole of the Tennessee Equality Project dubbed it the “Police the Potty” bill.
He noted that state law already prohibits Tennessee natives from amending their gender on birth certificates, even after undergoing medical procedures to change gender.
Cole called the legislation “one of the most vicious attack bills ever filed against transgender people in state government.”
On the Huffington Post’s Gay Voices blog, Scottie Thomaston, a self-described “queer and criminal justice rights and disability rights activist and writer,” attacked the bill and the Tennessee General Assembly.
He accused state lawmakers of “proposing and passing some of the most homophobic and transphobic bills in the country — it is, after all, the state that passed HB600 stripping local jurisdictions of LGBT [lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender] antidiscrimination provisions.”
He also cited two other pending bills, one that exempts schools from an antibullying law when students’ criticism is based on their religious beliefs. Critics call it the “license to bully” bill.
Another measure, dubbed as the “Don’t Say Gay” bill, prohibits teachers from discussing homosexuality in kindergarten through eighthgrade classrooms.

kimdl93
01-13-2012, 10:46 AM
Glad to hear that particular bill was withdrawn. But doesn't yur representative's attitudes just say so much about the level of bigotry. And I was distressed to read of passage of a bill stripping anti-discrimination provisions from local jurisdictions. I'm concerned that so many legislatures have become instruments of hate and discrimination.

ArleneRaquel
01-13-2012, 10:46 AM
I guess Tennessee isn't what one might call progressive. :doh:

Kali
01-13-2012, 11:10 AM
Sounds like you should schedule a meeting with your representative face to face.

Perhaps invite the media, then ask him why you threaten his manhood so much that he would mindlessly beat you based on things that happen only in his twisted imagination.

Foxglove
01-13-2012, 11:21 AM
As someone who knows the South of the US pretty well and has family/friends/contacts there, I find this news disappointing, though hardly surprising. Hooray for the Land of Cotton!

docrobbysherry
01-13-2012, 11:22 AM
Absolutely horrible, Amanda! That self ritious people like this can openly preach hate in America! What's even MORE frightening is the rite wing religious fascists spreading hate, exclusion, and the continued assault on our individual rites on a national level!!

Even worse is the fact that some of them GET ELECTED!

Jenniferathome
01-13-2012, 11:23 AM
Mandy,

How is it proposed that they check your gender? THAT would be an interesting test of authority

Marleena
01-13-2012, 11:25 AM
Glad to hear that particular bill was withdrawn. But doesn't yur representative's attitudes just say so much about the level of bigotry. And I was distressed to read of passage of a bill stripping anti-discrimination provisions from local jurisdictions. I'm concerned that so many legislatures have become instruments of hate and discrimination.

Well said Kim. There is a mayor in Michigan that has been caught twice making homophobic remarks in public. She's in deep crap because of it.

ArleneRaquel
01-13-2012, 11:29 AM
What is this that so many elected officials are so interested in others people sexual habits and want to invade their privacy ? Maybe it's the elected officials who's " habits " should be investigated. In the past many pols & preachers who were anti gay, transgender, ect, turned out to be leading a double life. What's the old saying ? " People who throw stones " .

moondog
01-13-2012, 11:35 AM
Methinks the man doth protest too much.

Nicole Erin
01-13-2012, 11:44 AM
The benefit of homophobic bigot GOVT officials is when they make their snide remarks, they are quickly made examples of.

Now that bigots are seen as a problem, it is good that they are outing themselves so the rest of the world can deal with them.

In that respect, we should be glad Bo Watson said that. It is kind of like when that mystery noise under the hood of your car finally turns into an easily-spottable malfunction. Sure it is a pain but then you know where the problem lies and can fix it.

Stephanie47
01-13-2012, 11:55 AM
I cannot really recall reading a news article where a cross dresser/transgendered person annoyed, bothered, molested anybody. It always seems it is a supposedly 'straight' man: scout leader, legislator, coach. Whenever I read an article concerning a transgendered person, gay, lesbian, etc it seems they are always the victim of an assault. Recently in my area a man assaulted two women, who 'appeared' to be lesbians. It turned out a female care giver of a disabled woman was lending support to her disabled woman so she would not fall.

I'm glad my state and city protects the rights of all transgendered persons from discrimination. However, nothing written into law will protect anybody from somebody who hates another for their race, creed, national origin and sexuality. Most laws come into play to assert penalties after the transgression. It is always wise to use caution.

DonnaT
01-13-2012, 12:04 PM
Sounds like you should schedule a meeting with your representative face to face.

And wear your best stomping high heels ;)

I kid:angel:

I suggest getting a few transwomen and transmen together to attend the debate on the bill, and hopefully be able argue your own point. Ask the congressman which of the people standing before him he would stomp for entering a woman's dressing room or bathroom.

His bill would require transmen, who look more masculine that many men, to use the ladies rooms. How would he know, when a man presenting as a man enters the ladies room, whether or not that person was trans? They going to have ID checks for everyone entering?

His bill has tunnel vision in that he is only concerned with men dressed as women, or transwomen. He totally ignors the fact that his bill would require transmen to use the ladies.

Billie Jean
01-13-2012, 01:03 PM
As an elected official he should never use such language. These are the same types of idiots that wanted to arm the drunks in the bars here in TN. We still don't vote them out and he'll wind up with all kinds of support for his statement. Billie Jean

Starr
01-13-2012, 01:11 PM
If anyone would like to contact Rep Floyd

Rep. Richard Floyd
R-Chattanooga
District 27 — Part of Hamilton County — Mapdistrict address
306 Altoona Drive
Chattanooga, TN 37415

nashville address
301 6th Avenue North
Suite G-24 War Memorial Building
Nashville, TN 37243

rep.richard.floyd@capitol.tn.gov

MissMarcie
01-13-2012, 01:28 PM
"I don’t care if he thinks he’s a woman and tries on clothes with them in there — I’d just try to stomp a mudhole in him and then stomp him dry."

Do you think this is an attiude just displayed in TN? I can assure you that it is not. Many many places are like this, especially in the south. We don't all live in NYC.

LeaP
01-13-2012, 01:50 PM
He's probably PO'd that TN has #8 on the "Gayest Cities in the US" list.

http://news.advocate.com/post/15571734525/gayest-cities-in-america-2012

From that:

"8. Knoxville, Tenn.

The state’s legislature has been an unmitigated disaster for our rights, making a law to prevent cities from adopting LGBT-inclusive antidiscrimination ordinances ...Nevertheless, Knoxville has defiantly produced a robust gay scene, including the University of Tennessee’s Commission for LGBT People; a welcoming spot for queer, trans, and other marginalized teens at Spectrum Café (SpectrumCafe.org); gay-affirming churches; and thriving nightlife."

Lea

Julogden
01-13-2012, 02:04 PM
What always amazes me is that this type of hatred typically comes from those who yell the loudest about getting government out of their lives, yet they want laws and even a Constitutional amendment to control those who they don't like.

Carol

Debb
01-13-2012, 02:05 PM
Email sent, despite the bill being withdrawn. This kind of attitude, when held in private, is bad enough ... many times worse when the attitude is reinforced by someone in authority.

I'd say I'm glad I don't live in TN, but really, MissMarcie is right -- this attitude pervades most of the United States .. and TN is a beautiful place.

update: I received replies from both Senator Bo Watson and Representative Richard Floyd. Basically one sentence saying "thanks".

Amanda22
01-13-2012, 02:12 PM
Do you think this is an attiude just displayed in TN? I can assure you that it is not. Many many places are like this, especially in the south. We don't all live in NYC.

Hi MissMarcie. You are right and I didn't mean to imply that it only happens where I live.

DonnaT
01-13-2012, 02:12 PM
If anyone would like to contact Rep Floyd
Done ........................

NathalieX66
01-13-2012, 02:15 PM
Amanda, that's really sad.
Al I hear from Tennessee is lawmakers proposing all these silly laws like "Don't say gay' in public schools, and all these other really draconian measures,a dndoing a complete 180° of what other states like New York are doing. It seems like there's an LGBT panic from where you live. I am getting more wary of christian fundamentalist groups that are twisting the arms of lawmakers. ....that's what's really happening. In their eyes, the onlu thing worse than homosexuals are transgender people, which to them, seems more extreme.
I don't usually think about it much, but where I live I'm pretty lucky to go out and mingle in the public, like I did last night a a restaurant, and crowded sports bar. Here in New Jersey, we are protected by law to use whatever bathroom in the gender we present as. It's in the books.

drushin703
01-13-2012, 03:30 PM
This foolishness is from the mouth and mind of a US senator? And please tell me how a person who is dressed enfemme or dressed in any other way is
perverted or can cause any risk to his family. I have his mailing address and he will surely hear from me..dana

And as for your state rep, I would like to talk to him face to face.That is why
it is so important to start opening the doors of our closets and be more
visible in everyday life...Well what can one say to a man dressed up in womens
clothes? Start with Hellow and good morning..dana

t-girlxsophie
01-13-2012, 03:40 PM
Think the politician needs help,the only twisted individual is that Mental Case.I wonder if he's protesting just a little too much

Sophie

Acastina
01-13-2012, 03:46 PM

What is this that so many elected officials are so interested in others people sexual habits and want to invade their privacy ? Maybe it's the elected officials who's " habits " should be investigated. In the past many pols & preachers who were anti gay, transgender, ect, turned out to be leading a double life. What's the old saying ? " People who throw stones " .

Exactly. As a songwriter friend of mine said years ago about Anita Bryant: "I hate to be blatant/But could he be latent?"

sterling12
01-13-2012, 04:20 PM
Where the Hell is Hixson? (Sure it's not "Hick's Son"?) I imagine he should go back there and live out The 19th Century with all of his supporters. And, I thought the folks in Chatanooga would not elect A Pinhead!

Let Children know about this story. It points out the validity of getting an education that extends past The 3rd Grade!

One more time Representative: "She got fired because she was an employee, and deliberately refused to comply with Company Policy!" If you bothered to read an account in anything but some bigoted Rag of a pamphlet, you would know that. You and your idiot followers can't seem to Glom on to that concept. Maybe everybody is a subsistence farmer where you live, and doesn't need a job. But, when you work for someone; you have to live by the workplace rules! If you don't, want to have your own rules.....you get your butt fired.

I do believe that The Volunteer State is working very hard to attract new companies and jobs. I can see them cringing up at The State House, "Look at what this idiot done did!" "Now all them East Coast Businessmen is gonna think we are Ignernt'."

Peace and Love, Joanie

Christinedreamer
01-13-2012, 05:09 PM
I wonder if this "braintrust" comprehends that there are those of us who are not petite and WILL defend ourselves to the point where the attacker cannot get up on his own. I am 275lbs and 6ft tall and will gladly give this "gentleman" and sampling of a Texas-style whooping if he so desires.

Rachel Flowers
01-13-2012, 05:21 PM

Hatred is a classic symptom of someone repressing something in themselves....!

“Don’t ask me to adjust to their perverted way of thinking and put my family at risk,” he said. “We cannot continue to let these people dominate how society acts and reacts"

Oh, for crying out loud!

1) What risk? That a crossdresser might ask your wife for makeup tips?
2) And of course we "perverts" have been dominating society's attitudes for ever. That's why same-sex marriage, people expressing their anatomical birth gender and conventional christian people have had to struggle politically for the past 100 years to stop the vicious institutional discrimination they've suffered. Oh, hang on...

(Just in case anyone didn't spot it - yes that's my British Sarcasm)

sissystephanie
01-13-2012, 05:50 PM
Let's see, the last time someone said he would "stomp' me was about 15 years ago. That man is still walking with a defined limp and will do so the rest of his life. I am not very big, but I can be very mean!! I would like to meet that so-called politician!

joandher
01-13-2012, 05:53 PM
If this person of ill repute was to voice that kind of statement here in the U.K. ,it would poss be his or her last words in office, and it would be classed as threatening behavior which is is a criminal offence,

hugs

J-JAY

Rachel Flowers
01-13-2012, 06:03 PM
I was just thinking, we complain about our highly centralised government in Britain but it keeps unrepresentative local bigoted morons from getting too much power most of the time.

AudreyTN
01-13-2012, 06:13 PM
"I believe if I was standing at a dressing room and my wife or one of my daughters was in the dressing room and a man tried to go in there — I don’t care if he thinks he’s a woman and tries on clothes with them in there — I’d just try to stomp a mudhole in him and then stomp him dry."

I find this funny, because he'd probably get his little tushy kicked by the man dressed as a woman. teeeeehee!

darci.c
01-13-2012, 06:33 PM
The words that stand out to me are: "Don’t ask me to adjust to their perverted way of thinking and put my family at risk"

So ludicrous I could almost laugh. Risk? What... are there a lot of effeminate boys just LURKING around in their dresses and skirts just so they can potty in the same place girls do? Oh, the danger!

And just how in the heck does the law think that they can determine, CONCLUSIVELY, that the person going into the dressing room posses XX or XY chromosomes? Are there going to be genetics labs taking blood samples, staffed by the TSA at every bathroom and dressing room in the country? Do these lawmakers understand that there are people out there who were born with souls that differ from their genetics, or their cells have XXX, XXY, XYY, YY, YYY, X, and Y chromosome sets? What gender are they?

Does a hermaphrodite get to use a bathroom or dressing room at all? Dare these politicians call a hermaphrodite a pervert if they proximally occupy space where a person's undies might be seen?

Just silly. Waste of time, waste of thought, waste of legislation, waste of public money, and waste of effort.

OH! Something just came to mind!

There is a scene in the movie "The Time Traveler's Wife" where the main character pops (time-travels, randomly) into a certain time and place, and as he does so he arrives with nothing but his naked self.

So he has to steal clothing and then find out where and when it is. The only nearby clothes he could find were from a gay man. No choice but to put them on.

Well, he makes it a little ways and gets mobbed by haters. He totally kicks their behinds.

The actor who played the part is named Eric Bana, which is the reason i'm something like 20% "gay." (whatever that means)

This bigshot politician should put his money where his mouth is. Bet there are a lot of "sissies" out there who could rectify his attitude.

DonnaT
01-13-2012, 11:52 PM
I find this funny, because he'd probably get his little tushy kicked by the man dressed as a woman. teeeeehee!
I saw the video of him making the comments, and it looked like he'd just have a heart attack if he tried to get rough with anyone.

lingerieLiz
01-14-2012, 12:16 AM
Make a donation in his name to a gay rights organization and then do a press release about his support. Subscribe to one of their magazines for him.

Vanessa Storrs
01-14-2012, 12:19 AM
In the United States this is an election year. The citize ns of this nation will choose a President, Vice President, about 30 Senators, 435 members of the House of Representatives several governors and numerous state legislators. If this poor genderphobic bigot is running for reelection you can help to elect his opponent. Donate some money, put up a yard sign, address some envelopes, your efforts can help to elect a Representative who will be more friendly to us. Most importantly vote.

JessicaM1985
01-14-2012, 04:26 AM
In the United States this is an election year. The citize ns of this nation will choose a President, Vice President, about 30 Senators, 435 members of the House of Representatives several governors and numerous state legislators. If this poor genderphobic bigot is running for reelection you can help to elect his opponent. Donate some money, put up a yard sign, address some envelopes, your efforts can help to elect a Representative who will be more friendly to us. Most importantly vote.

Best advice yet. The thing that elected officials forget is that they only got their position because WE allowed it. Remove them for office and remind them that we are still their boss. And to rub lemon juice in the wounds, remind them that they have PLENTY of LGBT employers out there along with plenty of "straight" allies, so they might wanna consider that before they start popping off at the mouth.

I can't help but laugh at how this guy sees me as a pervert. Most of the time, I'm only interested in men when I'm in girl mode, so I would have no interest in his wife, and since I'm not a pedophile, his daughter is perfectly safe. So much retarded and vain presumption on his part.....

Foxglove
01-14-2012, 05:31 AM
The thing that elected officials forget is that they only got their position because WE allowed it. Remove them for office and remind them that we are still their boss.

This is a very good point, Jessica, and one that people often forget when they're talking about corrupt or incompetent elected officials. They only hold their positions because we the people give them to them.

Here in Ireland I hear people say things like, "The politicians have us by the throat." Sure, we can toss them out any time we want to. In our last election, the party that got us into so much economic trouble went from about 80 seats in the parliament to 20, and a smaller party that had been in coalition with them went from 6 seats to 0. It's still the people who hold power, and it's up to us to decide what we want to do with it.

Annabelle

Paula_56
01-14-2012, 11:16 AM
Houston we have a problem!

Amanda22
01-22-2012, 01:08 PM
Thanks to all of you who commented to this thread and took the time to write letters to this congressman. My wife and I truly appreciate all of you. My wife wrote the following letter to our local newspaper who published it this morning. I'm so proud of her.

Floyd’s remarks show his bigotry

I don’t think "horrified" is too strong a word to reflect my reaction to Rep. Richard Floyd’s harangue against transgendered people when he reported he would "just try to stomp a mudhole in him and then stomp him dry" if a transgendered male wished to try on feminine clothing near Floyd’s wife or daughters in a store's dressing room.

This "good ol' boy" metaphor doesn’t mask the violent undertone. Rep. Floyd is fearful "their perverted way of thinking" might "put my family at risk." Quite the contrary, stories abound of violence against members of the LGBT community simply because they were courageous enough to leave their houses and enter the mainstream. The "straight" and LGBT communities must voice their opposition when an elected official threatens a violent response to any person. Were I a business owner considering relocating to the Chattanooga area or even a tourist wanting to visit, I’d think twice before subjecting my culturally diverse employee base or my family to the kind of bigotry voiced by a representative from the area. This story has gone national, we’re in the spotlight, and I’m embarrassed by a representative such as Mr. Floyd. Chattanooga is better than this, and Mr. Floyd certainly doesn’t represent me.

linda allen
01-22-2012, 02:19 PM
It wasn't so very long ago that many states (talking about the USA here) had similar laws preventing black people from using restrooms, dressing rooms, etc. used by white peope. This proposed bill and the attitude of the sponsor are no different. Of course, this guy is not alone, there are many private citizens with the same Neanderthal attitudes regarding transgender people, gays, lesbians, racial minorities, and generally, anyone who looks or acts differently from themselves.

The other side of the coin is, it would technically be possible for some (male) pervert to throw on a dress and wig and hang out in the ladies room for a thrill. We have to take this risk if we are to protect the rights of each of us, minority or otherwise.

The simple solution is to have individual, non gendered dressing rooms, restrooms, etc. If some politician or government agency feels the need to get this involved in our lives and business, perhaps they could just require this in new construction and remodeling, much as they have for ADA access.

Cindi
01-22-2012, 02:41 PM
You certainly live in a backward state.
I wonder if Floyd knows where Canada is located.\
As an aside, while passing through, I told a girl in a restaurant in a mountain town in Tennessee that I was from Canada and she didn't where that was.
Talk about a backward state.

PS: I sent the following to Floyd:

"I believe if I was standing at a dressing room and my wife or one of my daughters was in the dressing room and a man tried to go in there — I don’t care if he thinks he’s a woman and tries on clothes with them in there — I’d just try to stomp a mudhole in him and then stomp him dry."

I'm surprised you didn't say you would get out your trusty AK47 and shoot some of those dangerous crossdressers.
You sure live in a backward state.

Jilmac
01-22-2012, 02:56 PM
It seems typical of the elephant party, they spew hate and intolerance for anything they consider immoral. I'm willing to bet that there are many members of that party who have either been in a relationship with a member of their own gender, or in the closet wearing dresses makeup and wigs. I think they should poll the entire state for a general consensus before submitting any sort of bigotry bill.

moondog
01-22-2012, 02:59 PM
So he's really saying he's got no problem commiting a hate crime.

Eryn
01-22-2012, 03:05 PM
We in the US moan and grown about the "radical fundamentalists Muslims" terrorizing the world but we often forget that we have our own radical fundamentalists right here in our country. Instead of being Shiite and Sunni offshoots, they're Baptist and Presbyterian offshoots. Give them power and opportunity and they'll be just as vicious to anyone who does not conform to their world-view.

Rep. Floyd has actually done us a favor by giving everyone a warning of their violent intent.

Julia_in_Pa
01-22-2012, 03:26 PM
I could not agree more Jill.

It seems typical of the elephant party, they spew hate and intolerance for anything they consider immoral. I'm willing to bet that there are many members of that party who have either been in a relationship with a member of their own gender, or in the closet wearing dresses makeup and wigs. I think they should poll the entire state for a general consensus before submitting any sort of bigotry bill.

linda allen
01-22-2012, 05:12 PM
"elephant party" " Are we making a political statement here?

I don't think being a member of a specific political party has anything to do with bigotry or hatred. Or stupidity for that matter.

We really don't need to bring politics ito this discussion.

Josie M
01-22-2012, 05:15 PM
Amanda, I'd love to add this story to my blog and a first person perspective would be great....How would your wife feel if I quoted and credited her?

Thanks to all of you who commented to this thread and took the time to write letters to this congressman. My wife and I truly appreciate all of you. My wife wrote the following letter to our local newspaper who published it this morning. I'm so proud of her.

Floyd’s remarks show his bigotry

I don’t think "horrified" is too strong a word to reflect my reaction to Rep. Richard Floyd’s harangue against transgendered people when he reported he would "just try to stomp a mudhole in him and then stomp him dry" if a transgendered male wished to try on feminine clothing near Floyd’s wife or daughters in a store's dressing room.

This "good ol' boy" metaphor doesn’t mask the violent undertone. Rep. Floyd is fearful "their perverted way of thinking" might "put my family at risk." Quite the contrary, stories abound of violence against members of the LGBT community simply because they were courageous enough to leave their houses and enter the mainstream. The "straight" and LGBT communities must voice their opposition when an elected official threatens a violent response to any person. Were I a business owner considering relocating to the Chattanooga area or even a tourist wanting to visit, I’d think twice before subjecting my culturally diverse employee base or my family to the kind of bigotry voiced by a representative from the area. This story has gone national, we’re in the spotlight, and I’m embarrassed by a representative such as Mr. Floyd. Chattanooga is better than this, and Mr. Floyd certainly doesn’t represent me.

KaTanya
01-22-2012, 05:34 PM
Yeah more like "My bodyguard will stomp a mudhole..."
:brolleyes:

what is the fascination with bathrooms and dressing rooms with these people?

Meg East
01-22-2012, 06:03 PM
What always amazes me is that this type of hatred typically comes from those who yell the loudest about getting government out of their lives, yet they want laws and even a Constitutional amendment to control those who they don't like.

Carol

Agreed, these people want to control everything but their closeted lives, their motto is "do as I say not as I do".

suchacutie
01-22-2012, 06:11 PM
First, it seems we have a long way to go if we are to educate everyone. It's clear that we've missed a few.

It's also clear that this moron masquirading as a "representative" thought that this stunt of his would be a positive for his career. Let's hope the reverse is the case. This could be a good lesson for many in the long run!

Also, please let's keep the untoward rhetoric singling out bigotry in one political party at a minimum. There's enough bigotry to go around without generating more.

Lastly, this moron might find that "stomping" that "man in a dress" might be a little more difficult than he would imagine! Such arrogance!

tina

Eryn
01-22-2012, 06:42 PM
Looking at his picture, I doubt that he is capable of stomping much of anything:

http://www.capitol.tn.gov/house/members/h27.html

Sister Rachel
01-22-2012, 07:00 PM
I'm SOOOO glad that I live in Britain! We have our fair share of bigots and macho knuckle-draggers, of course, but very few of them put their heads above the parapet in local government these days.

Sister Rachel
01-22-2012, 07:04 PM
$hit! Checked out Eryn's link, he resembles my uncle ...:eek:

Josie M
01-22-2012, 10:10 PM
Well, looks like the bill was withdrawn on January 12th... the real issue that we shouldn't give him a pass on the violent rhetoric. On the other hand, it is an unavoidable fact that there are people uncomfortable with people using bathrooms or dressing rooms outside of their birth gender. Even Thailand has TG specific bathrooms from what I understand. So, that's an issue worth raising an frank and honest discussion on as well.

....currently researching everything I can find surrounding this...

Eryn
01-22-2012, 11:17 PM
So, that's an issue worth raising an frank and honest discussion on as well.

The problem with the "frank and honest discussion" is that the opposition is populated by fearmongers like Floyd who create and discuss imaginary problems as if they are factual. There hasn't been one incident of a GM dressing as a woman in order to assault a GG in a restroom, yet Floyd apparently believes it to be so to the point that he threatens violence against any GM who might come near "his womenfolk" in that situation.

Better to support legislation on overarching issues that include such things as bathroom rights without specifically mentioning them. That way the fearmongers have less to get hold of.

Anne Teak
01-22-2012, 11:38 PM
said in email to rep. dumbass & I paste

I don't think you could stomp flaming shit out of a paper bag, much less stomp a mudhole in me. You're old & feeble & stupid looking to boot. But that notwithstanding..... You're so worried about a guy that identifies as a woman molesting your wife or daughter that you forget that its almost 100% straight guys that are the rapists. Plus.....if a woman to man crossdresser trys to go in the actual womens dressing room & you accost her & she kicks your old ass.......what will you say then? Actually.....she might be more of a threat to your women than the girly guy ever was.

Daphne Renee
01-22-2012, 11:59 PM
some people are truly idiots. I think some people are just afraid of anything different. I think this story should be brought to life on facebook twitter etc..

Eryn
01-23-2012, 12:48 AM
said in email to rep. dumbass & I paste

I don't think you could stomp flaming shit out of a paper bag, much less stomp a mudhole in me. You're old & feeble & stupid looking to boot...

Sorry, but help like this we don't need. What you've done is given him evidence to publicly state "I've received threatening email from those evil transgendered people and I'm going to redouble my efforts to protect our womenfolk from them."

Next time, please think before you hit send.

Ellyn
01-23-2012, 01:03 AM
This is a very difficult issue. There is no way I want women walking into the john when I am using it, and I would never walk into the women's intentionally. Likewise I do not think women should have to put up with men walking in on them. The choice should depend on the "works in the drawers". I have to admit that I have used a women's on a couple of occasions, once when the men's was out of order and nobody was around, and by mistake when they were switching from printed signs, stating Men's and Women's, or His and Hers, on the doors to the four or five different pathetic reditions in stick figures now found on various doors, that are supposed to give the illiterate and non-English speaking a hint about where they are headed.

donnalee
01-23-2012, 05:31 AM
Sounds to me like "criminal conspiracy to commit a felony". Just find a police department with an axe to grind against this idiot (if he flies off the handle like this in a public press statement, I'm pretty sure he's ticked off a mukymuk in at least 1 of the 20+ police departments [including feds] that are normally found in most urban areas; or better yet a DA). Since conspiracy is a felony thanks to laws like the Patriot Act, RICO, etc. the means is there (Damn! 2 wrongs can make a right!).

linda allen
01-23-2012, 07:24 AM
This is a very difficult issue. There is no way I want women walking into the john when I am using it, and I would never walk into the women's intentionally. Likewise I do not think women should have to put up with men walking in on them. The choice should depend on the "works in the drawers". .

But people can't normally see the "works in the drawers". When a male presents as a female, how can he (she) be expected to use a restroom designated for males? Wouldn't it appear that this person was using the wrong restroom?

Of course, if you don't pass, or don't try to pass (wear female clothes but no wig or unshaven), you should be using the men's facilities and be prepared to explain or defend yourself because you are in "no man's land".

Really, at least in most of the USA, there are no facilities intended for those who are neither "all male" nor "all female". It's a shame.

Sorry, but help like this we don't need. What you've done is given him evidence to publicly state "I've received threatening email from those evil transgendered people and I'm going to redouble my efforts to protect our womenfolk from them."

Next time, please think before you hit send.
Eryn, I agree with you, this should have been worded differently.

moondog
01-23-2012, 07:51 AM
The problem with trying to have an open dialogue with people like this guy is they want nothing to do with open dialogue contradicting their world view and if you use their rhetoric against them they use this as an excuse to attack you even further because now you're becoming threatening. The irony that they were threatening first is lost upon them because of their distorted mindset and dysfunctional intellect.

Nicola2876
01-23-2012, 08:17 AM
Some people are just idiots

shawnsheila
01-23-2012, 09:39 AM
I may be speculating here but it seems like many politicians that speak out against the LGBT community are usually closeted in some way themselves and lash out against the LGBT community because they feel ashamed and need to hide/resist it by attacking folks like us.

janet1234
01-23-2012, 10:05 AM
It is but a short step from Amanda's encounter to the social fascism of the current republican candidates.

Elsa Larson
01-23-2012, 01:47 PM
OK, he wants everyone to use the appropriate restroom based on their plumbing at birth.

What if the southern gents visit their potty and discover assorted MTF types touching up their hair and makeup while making friendly conversation with everyone ?

And if southern belles get the same kind of potty visits from FTMs ?

Those with ambiguous genitalia will need to go through an extra screening process - with full press coverage.

A few hours of of peaceful protest might generate positive publicity, education & outreach opportunities and conscientious legislation.

Elsa

p.s. Julie: wanna do a road trip?

Niya W
01-23-2012, 01:55 PM
Problem is when you start off with violence it's met with violence and that were it stands. Both sides see each other as violent animals that can not be reasoned with . I've read on other on line news sites some of the comments are boarder line death threats. I've seen people post thats why I carry a gun to if he tried that to me I'd cut his balls off. People have talked about cutting his throat if he touched when of their loved ones. A lot of these violent response are not from trans folks them selfs to. The TN rep that introduced this bill started off with violence but did not expect to be met with such violence him self. He just assumed that people would agree with him . I do believe one of the reason that he pulled this bill is cause of that level of violence .

whowhatwhen
01-23-2012, 02:38 PM
There hasn't been one incident of a GM dressing as a woman in order to assault a GG in a restroom, yet Floyd apparently believes it to be so to the point that he threatens violence against any GM who might come near "his womenfolk" in that situation.

Yeah, I don't understand how anyone can think that someone would go through all of the trouble to present as a woman just to assault someone in the women's bathroom.
It's not like a rapist is going to follow a woman to the door and say "CURSES! I can't go in there, it's women only!" and go home.

It is unsettling that people with such violent fantasies can be elected though.
"Why yes I would brutally assault a defenseless woman, but in my defense they were born a man so it's O-K!"

linda allen
01-23-2012, 08:46 PM
It is but a short step from Amanda's encounter to the social fascism of the current republican candidates.

Again with the politics. There are no bigoted Democrats? Really?

Politics don't belong in this forum and I would like to see that enforced. :Angry3:

Josie M
01-23-2012, 08:51 PM
Niya, I think you've got the crux of it.

As far as the bathroom issue, I know that groups that I've gone out with in that past usually opt to just stay out of the bathroom if we sense it's making people nervous. The irony is, I don't like to use the men's bathroom when I'm en-femme because I'm concerned I might be harassed and leered at...

WsprsOnTheWind
01-23-2012, 08:52 PM
Amanda WOW, that would be a tough position to be in from both sides. I know as a woman that it would make me very uncomfortable for a man to come into the restroom with me. I guess it wouldn't be an issue if he looked so much like a woman that I couldn't tell b/c I wouldn't know it. I can understand the position this man takes but he could have used more tact about it. I'm not sure how I would feel if someone who had had gender reassignment came into the restroom with me, again, if I knew it. In my mind people who have reassignment are the gender they are just in the wrong body so I THINK for me it would simply be a woman who had a corrected body via gender reassignment coming into the restroom and I don't think I would think anything of it. I really can't say unless I was in the situation. As a woman I can see how some women would feel, I can see how this makes you feel and I can understand how this makes this man feel being as he does not understand and is probably phobic about this topic. There really is no easy solution.

Josie M
01-23-2012, 09:02 PM
on the other hand, given that it's estimated that 10-11% of the population is homosexual or bisexual....we've all been in a bathroom, gym, dressing room with people who are sexually attracted to those of our gender...and yet....I can recall no incidents in my experience

I also remember, back in the 90's (or maybe early 2000's....naughties?) being in a club, using the women's bathroom but there was this really creepy guy about as far in the entrance way to the lady's room as he could get away with smoking a cigarette and leering at everything that walked by....I recall being really creep-ed out.

Yet another example...in guy mode, at another club....the ladies room was just over-whelmed so they started herding women into the guys room. Women coming into the bathroom with guys at the urinals...yet, except for a couple of drunks making rude remarks...it really wasn't that big of a deal.....

We have unisex bathrooms in our homes.....I think the issue is over-blown. That being said though, I'm not going to be militant about it, if you're really not comfortable with me in your bathroom, I'll go somewhere else if I can...

WsprsOnTheWind
01-23-2012, 09:07 PM
Josie, you pose a good point. I recently accidently went into the men's restroom and there was a guy at the urinal when I came out of the stall. I hadn't even noticed the urinals until then and that's when it dawned on me I had gone into the wrong restroom. I felt like the world's biggest moron and was embarassed by it but I lived through it. Thank God the guy had his back to me and hopefully he didn't see me sneaking out and realized I was a woman. So, I sorta have some frame of reference in which to base my answer on when I say that it would make me uncomfortable.

Niya W
01-23-2012, 09:18 PM
Niya, I think you've got the crux of it.

As far as the bathroom issue, I know that groups that I've gone out with in that past usually opt to just stay out of the bathroom if we sense it's making people nervous. The irony is, I don't like to use the men's bathroom when I'm en-femme because I'm concerned I might be harassed and leered at...
But on the flip side of that I'm not condeming the act of violences against . What he did was an open call of violence towards trans folks . He declare war on me and people like me for no other reason then he finds me icky. I've never met the man. I believe in my heart given the opportunity he would kill every trans person he could . What he found out the hard way is that we are not some wimps that will cower in the dark scared of some bully . HTat if you want to perprate violence against a group you better be prepared to receive it back.

WsprsOnTheWind
01-23-2012, 09:40 PM
Niya's response made me think of a good topic for another thread. Do people think that CD's are weak and wouldn't defend themselves if placed in the position of doing so? I would think that many who don't understand it or accept it would automatically think of the "sissy" in terms of also being wimpy.

Let me stick to the subject lest I get booted off this thread. I think the best solution could just be single stall unisex bathrooms. That way only one person at a time is inside them and there is no opportunity for this to be an issue.

whowhatwhen
01-23-2012, 09:55 PM
I think it's just another stereotype, everyone has different physical abilities to defend themselves and some can't even fight back at all.
The bathroom issue is only going to be solved when people understand that their being uncomfortable doesn't override another person's human rights.

I know it makes some uncomfortable but in the year 2012 moves have to be made away from that line of thinking.
Men are obnoxious disgusting jerks and I don't believe it's safe to force transwomen into male bathrooms, I doubt many men would notice or care if an FtM TS used the stall next to them, what's the deal?

SarahLynn
01-23-2012, 10:41 PM
I have read all the comments here and still have one question which remains unanswered: Do these two people not have the right, the responsibility to voice their opinion??? And since they are presumably duely and properly elected officials do they not have the authority to propose legislation??? They are, they do, and they have. If you don't like the message shoot (vote out) the messenger. Just remember we (CD'rs) represent only about 10% of society, add in gays and lesibians and we still only amount to about 15%.

Now i'm saying this, just keep in mind i don't think he would get far in his stomping campaigen before he gets his azz kicked. Mosty he has spoken to a segment of society to get himself reelected not because he would follow through on his words. Such persons are, in my experience, allowing their aligator mouth over ride their hummingbird azz. Given the true situtation he'd likely fall short when confronted by a 6'2" CD'er with knuckle calluses from pounding dirt all day. Or even some sweet little grandmother'ry type who is in fact a grandfather.

SarahLynn

Eryn
01-23-2012, 11:52 PM
...The bathroom issue is only going to be solved when people understand that their being uncomfortable doesn't override another person's human rights.

The sad thing is that it isn't so much people being uncomfortable with TG folks in the restroom as with the _concept_ of being in a restroom with TG folks. They don't even realize that it is very likely that they have been in a restroom with a TG individual and didn't even notice.

Marie-Elise
01-24-2012, 05:01 AM
Again with the politics. There are no bigoted Democrats? Really?

Politics don't belong in this forum and I would like to see that enforced. :Angry3:

Hard for this topic not to be political. It is discussing a politician's proposed legislation. Personally, I think if he drank lattes, he would be more tolerant.

JessicaM1985
01-24-2012, 05:01 AM
I noticed a recurring question that is related to not only this topic, but CDing in general. Why does it seem like transmen get more acceptance than transwomen?

I have a theory, and it makes sense. Basic misogyny. Anything seen as girly is second class in "a man's world", as representative Floyd has demonstrated. He must "protect the womenfolk" because they CLEARLY can't do it for themselves. /sarcasm

Women, sadly, have always been viewed as second class and we become even more hated for "squandering" our manhood and wanting to be like them. I suppose it also has a lot to do with the fact that some of us are even prettier than ciswomen, and upon discovery, men have to go to great lengths to prove that they aren't gay for checking us out.

linda allen
01-24-2012, 07:24 AM
Hard for this topic not to be political. It is discussing a politician's proposed legislation. Personally, I think if he drank lattes, he would be more tolerant.

My response was to someone who stated that all the republican candidates were bigots (something to that effect). I don't see any evidence of this. If anyone wants to hear my opinion of the Democratic elected officials and their "I was born so the government should support me" policies, I will be glad to oblige.

Bigotry does not follow political party lines A bigot might be a Democrat, a Republican, an Independent, or someone who doesn't care at all. And of course, this forum is on the World Wide Web so many members are in countries other than the USA and dont care about American politics.

Nigella
01-24-2012, 11:49 AM
And before the war begins, it ends.

There is no politics on this forum, thread done