PDA

View Full Version : Any reactions when buying a wig?

Brittany CD
01-13-2012, 06:17 PM
Hey ladies. Since I'm guessing a lot of crossdressers buy wigs from stores and thus retailers know men buy wigs, have any of you had any odd reactions while buying one?

Kisses
Katie

Cheryl T
01-13-2012, 06:23 PM
Hey ladies. Since I'm guessing a lot of crossdressers buy wigs from stores and thus retailers know men buy wigs, have any of you had any odd reactions while buying one?

When I got my last one (my avatar) my wife and I went to a salon (I was drab). We looked about as they were a little busy and then a lady came to help us asking what we were looking for. We both chimed in with color, style and length information and she immediately went to my wife and started talking directly to her. We told her that it wasn't for her, but it was for me and she said..."we don't carry men's wigs". We answered in unison..."We know."
She then got the idea and was great about it. Took us to a private room, began bringing in wigs for me to try on. She is actually the one who suggested the style I did buy. She thought it looked great...my wife agreed, but I was unsure. I tried some more...then went back to that one and agreed...and I love it!!
A week later I went in (dressed) to pick it up and she put it on me, brushed it out and made sure of the fit. I thanked her, paid with MY credit card and we left to go shopping and to dinner.
It was a great experience all around.

Stephanie47
01-13-2012, 06:27 PM
When I bought my first wig it was near Halloween and I used the old Halloween costume ploy. The young SA thought it was cool. When buying the second wig, also around Halloween, the women was totally perplexed. She was a recent immigrant from Korea and probably had not yet encountered cross dressers or Halloween. The third wig came through eBay.

AllieSF
01-13-2012, 06:35 PM
Most wig stores have had, and probably continue to have, male customers who buy female wigs. If they haven't then now is a good time to start. If they do not want to start serving men in this way, then they do not deserve our business. That being said, everyone that I have interfaced with were very nice and professional. A nearby customer may be a little surprised. But that is no different than when going out dressed. People will notice, maybe stare, maybe make a comment to whomever they are with. But it shouldn't really deter someone from availing themselves to the services and products offered by the store. Said in another way, worry more that you are getting a wig that will compliment and hopefully improve your presentation and less about what others may see, think or say. Good luck.

Ashley Lyn
01-13-2012, 07:50 PM
Thought about going to a local wig shop, but since the SO is 'supporting', but not inclined for others to know, I opted for an online 'shop' which has created great results.. SO and I browsed thru the styles, colors and sizes and decided on two different styles/colors which I currently own.. :) They are somewhat similar, but different depending on which style clothing I am wearing at the time..:battingeyelashes: Thoroughly happy with the scenario.. :heehee:

Sarasometimes
01-13-2012, 07:56 PM
I haven't had any difficulties but then again I always call before I go. I do this for 2 reasons. Firstly I don't want to travel to a place that can't/won't accomodate me and secondly, many of these shops help women going through the dificulty of losing thier hair due to cancer treatments. I would never want to make them feel ill at ease or impart more stress on them. let them know what you are looking for and see what they say.

Beth Mays
01-13-2012, 07:58 PM
I went to a local shop and was given the "sorry we don't have anything for you" really she told me that! then recommended 2 other places to try! please remember I live in northeast Tennessee where if it 'aint fried it 'aint cooked!
I found 2 on eBay I really like and the price is wayyyyyyy better!

Babette
01-13-2012, 08:09 PM
Like many of you, I once had a an uneasy feeling about walking into a store and asking for assistance. That was years ago BTW. When I finally approached a shop owner and told her my truthful intentions, she was totally accepting. As a matter of fact, she indicated that a significant part of her business volume came from transgendered people. Since then, I have returned many times and she was always a great help.

We have become friends and she really understands people's needs for discretion and privacy. Transgendered folks aren't the only ones seeking this. Most of her business is with people that have lost their hair through chemotherapy. Some are GG's that have also lost one or more of their breasts. When they walk through her door, their dignity and self esteem can be as low as it gets. So if anyone truly understands how to deal with scared and anxious people, it would have to be a wig merchant.

She shared this with me on my last visit. (Stephanie 47 please don't take this as something directed at you.) Too many TG's try using the Halloween excuse for coming into her store. Sometimes it takes a while for their true intentions to surface. She says that if you want to dress up for Halloween, then go buy a cheap wig at the costume shop. However, if you want to look your very best as a female, then be honest with her and she will bend over backward to make you feel good about yourself.

Somewhere, there has to be at least one wig shop owner who will not be accepting of TGs. Fine - that's their prerogative. I'd be willing to bet they are very rare. If you are still nervous about going, then call the shop on the phone, be honest with your intentions and ask if they could help you. The worst they could say is no. Chances are it will be yes and you will be on your way to looking great.

Babette

Sallee
01-13-2012, 08:15 PM
Usually it is no problem I'll bet CDs make up a lot of the business for wig shops and in most cities the shops know their client population. I have bought wigs in drab and dressed and it has always been a good experience.
enjoy

TGMarla
01-13-2012, 08:30 PM
No, I go to a wig shop that is very CD friendly. I call ahead, and they always welcome me warmy.

Stephanie-L
01-13-2012, 08:36 PM
I have shopped for wigs in two different cities, and have not had a problem. The shop I have close to me has booths for client privacy since as was noted, many are women going through a very difficult time. The manager said she has a fair number of trans customers and does not have any problem helping us. I would also bet that the large majority of wig shops are trans friendly, or at least tolerant..............Stephanie

Karren H
01-13-2012, 08:55 PM
Last wig I bought.... When I tried it on.... the girl said "ohh wow... That is really cute on you"... SOLD!! I love Lolittas Lingerie Store!

Alice B
01-13-2012, 09:10 PM
I've been to several wig stores, told them up front that I was looking for a wig for myself and what I was looking for. In every case I received a positive response and service. Like everything else, you are there to spend money and their job is to help you do that. Nothing to worry about.

sara.s
01-13-2012, 09:21 PM
The local wig shop lady even does makeup on you for free if you are going to purchase a wig from her. How friendly can anyone get?

Barbra P
01-13-2012, 09:27 PM
I’ve never had a problem in a wig shop and I have always gone in drab. This past summer I went to one that is considered one of the better shops in San Diego and I was treated very well. The woman who helped me brought out a number of wigs and she also made suggestions about color and style. None of the other customers in the store seemed at all bothered by my presence and one even came over to tell me that one wig I had tried on looked better on me than the one I was currently trying on.

kimberly ann487
01-13-2012, 09:39 PM
Wow Sara where is that shop ? Sounds like my kind of place ! I'm now on my fourth wig and never had a problem. I know buying on line is less stressful for some of us girls, but nothing beats shopping in person. Just get over it,lol. Today I got my latest I must have tried on at least four different ones a couple of times each, before settling on the "one".

Dana7
01-13-2012, 09:48 PM
When I bought my first wig it was near Halloween and I used the old Halloween costume ploy. The young SA thought it was cool. When buying the second wig, also around Halloween, the women was totally perplexed. She was a recent immigrant from Korea and probably had not yet encountered cross dressers or Halloween. The third wig came through eBay.

My first wig came from a thrift store, and it has been one of my favorites. It's the one in my avatar pic. Later, for Halloween, I went to a wig store, (in drab) and told the owner I wanted to get one for my Halloween costume, (which was true). She was very helpful and accepting and assisted me in choosing one that looks great on me. She then educated me on wig styling and maintenance. It was an all-around great experience for me. My third one came from an ebay seller, and was a human-hair wig. It is quite realistic looking but not as long and although I do wear it, I don't like the look as much as my first two wigs. I've tried a few others since then but I prefer the first two and wear them the most.

I'd like to find a nice long-length one that can be styled using a curling iron or curlers, which most synthetic wigs cannot. I've seen some heat-tolerant long wigs on Ebay but have not ordered one yet. Has anyone had any experience with any of these heat-tolerant stylable synthetic wigs?

sara.s
01-13-2012, 09:52 PM
Wow Sara where is that shop ? Sounds like my kind of place ! I'm now on my fourth wig and never had a problem. I know buying on line is less stressful for some of us girls, but nothing beats shopping in person. Just get over it,lol. Today I got my latest I must have tried on at least four different ones a couple of times each, before settling on the "one".

http://www.pameladeewigs.com/about.htm You probably need an appointment for makeup as it is not an advertised service but complementary.

Wig shops are normally more welcoming than your average clothes shop and they target for more trans customers as only few GG's buy wigs.

Reggie Campion
01-13-2012, 10:15 PM
The 1st place i went to and told the sales lady what and why she was turned off and offered no help at all. Then i went to another place which is a favorite of our local roganization and she wasn't bad in asisting me; went to the third location and the woman in there was so helpful i spent almost an hour with the different styles and shapes that i ended up going there again bought another wig from the same lady she was just so helpful and the wigs look good on me when i comb and fix them up. Took me 3 x's to find the proper place but it was well worth the expierence. Now if i can only do that with makeup!

Reggie

DonnaT
01-13-2012, 11:37 PM
My wife and I went to one of the local shops that many of the local CDs used, and gave good ratings to.

The shop didn't have a private room, so I was fitted in full view of anyone entering. There were no adverse comments from any of the customers.

Billie Jean
01-13-2012, 11:49 PM
When I bought my first wig it was near Halloween and I used the old Halloween costume ploy. The young SA thought it was cool. When buying the second wig, also around Halloween, the women was totally perplexed. She was a recent immigrant from Korea and probably had not yet encountered cross dressers or Halloween. The third wig came through eBay.My last wig was like your first one Stephanie. The SA was in her early 20's and thought it was cool. The other one was bought online from a wig company. Billie Jean

DanaR
01-14-2012, 12:52 AM
Usually if I go in somewhere and I'm not treated well, I'll say something on my way out. Most of the time I've good experiences though.

Chickhe
01-14-2012, 01:21 AM
Last time, I called first, about 1/2 seemed uneasy... one said no problem at all... went there and was treated very well. Go at a quiet time for the best service. They don't really care why you want it... you could be a member of a rock band, for example.

donnatracey
01-14-2012, 01:27 AM
Had no problems at all shopping for wigs locally in drab. Went to 2 stores and the 2nd one was wonderful: a small shop with a very nice, non-judgemental owner and staff. She took her time with me, showing numerous wigs, and had a back room for privacy so felt completely at ease. Used Halloween as an excuse but then told her I would wear the wig more frequently!...:heehee: She said she had quite a few of us shop at her store. I will definitely being going back.

Launa
01-14-2012, 01:44 AM
I've never had a problem with a wig store. The last one I went to I tried a few wigs on, I was actually looking for one for halloween as well as crossdressing. I came right out and told the owner that I crossdress and I was alone in the store at the time. She sat me down in the chair that was wide open and we tried a few on but they were a little over the top and were priced around 175 +.
I left without buying one but I came back the next day with my wife to pick one out. The SA was helping out 3 other ladies at the other end of the store and she must have tipped them off that I was in the store shopping for me and not my wife because 1 lady shouted out hey there are some good wigs down here and pointed at the long ones. I said sure with a smile. About 1 min later they said hey we have some wigs over here that will look good and were not leaving the store until you try one on. Well as you all could imagine how much torture this was going to be. I blurted out well you should see my outfit to go with this wig but I had no pics stored on my camera phone hehe. Anyway I tried some on and kept them on as I shopped for one that was going to work.
As I said it was pure torture and pain.

jillleanne
01-14-2012, 06:18 AM
Yeah, they're like hamburger commercials on television; they look better in the commercial.

noeleena
01-14-2012, 06:29 AM
Hi,

!! years ago i brought my first one from a lady who was a hair dresser. she was good .
The 2 nd one form another lady who did wigs for those who have had chemo. & she too was nice,

another one i brought from a pretty big store in Thailand, Phuket.

So no i'v not had any issues with people & iv talked about hair & wigs with other people in shops,

,,,noeleena...

Paula_56
01-14-2012, 11:11 AM
Some are GG's that have also lost one or more of their breasts. When they walk through her door, their dignity and self esteem can be as low as it gets. So if anyone truly understands how to deal with scared and anxious people, it would have to be a wig merchant.

Babette

Babette- Very well put, I am going to say ALL wig shops have TG customers, and for the reason you outlined above they are very nice. Just be polite, well dressed, and smile- you will have a great expereince!!!!!

tswansio
01-17-2012, 09:59 AM
Went in drab with my wife to Koos wigs in Annapolis Mall Maryland. Oriental sales lady quitely asked my wife why I was getting a womans wig. Wife replied "we like to play around.
Tried on a bunch of wigs, bought one for me and one for my wife. I had 2 wigs bought on line but there is no comparison to actually seeing one on yourself. This one gave my wife enough confidence to take me out to restaurants with her.

NicoleScott
01-17-2012, 11:19 AM
I have purchased wigs in wig shops and online. Advantages and drawbacks to both.
When I bought at a wig shop, it was always in guy mode, but I always said the wig was for myself when asked. I think it helps the SA serve me better, and it's a bit of a kick.
Two experiences come to mind:
1) I was look at a wig at a mall wig shop. The SA offered to let me try the wig on, but I was reluctant. She said I could go to the back of the store, out of public view, so I did. AAARRRRGGGHH. I looked horrible, in guy mode, no makeup. Never did that again. Well, I ended up buying the wig, but hated it, and didn't keep it long.
2) I went to a mall wig shop looking for a new wig, and had a nice long conversation with the SA (it was a slow day in the shop), and showed her some of my pics. She was quite interested in the whole crossdressing thing, and said she had many male customers. It helps to understand, and serve, your customers. I asked if I could return near closing time, en femme wearing the new wig I had just bought, and she was thrilled to say YES. So I did. It was a fun time for me. She offered to put other wigs on me, as I was fully made up, but I declined (wishing later that I had tried on some other wigs). I think I was nervous about being seen (even by her) with short guy-style hair while en femme. Silly, I know.
Wig shops sell to lots of cd's. I think they can easily see through the excuses for buying: (costume, gift for wife (are you kidding?), etc. Better to be honest about it for better service, even if you have to go to another city if you're deep in the closet.

BillieJoEllen
01-17-2012, 03:51 PM
I bought a wig from K-Mart many years ago. Of course at that time I didn't try it on in the store. Took it home and tried it on. I absolutely hated the look it gave to me. I took it back to K-Mart to get my money back. When I took it to the service desk I told the SA that I wanted to return it. She asked me point blank, "Whats the matter, didn't it fit?"
Her reply really took me and a lady that was helping her completely by surprise. I muttered something about returning it for my wife and when I said that she looked at me in a very sarcastic way and knowing way. Today I think I would have reported her but back then....

Sasha Anne Meadows
01-17-2012, 04:05 PM
I usually buy on line but years ago, before the internet, I went to a wig store in a nearby town. I said I wanted a wig for halloween. I think the sales people detected my nervousness and didn't even write up a sales slip. I haven't been back since since I get nicer wigs in the internet now.

RenneB
01-17-2012, 09:07 PM
OMG girl, that was what I did last week. I need to get out of the closet and had some cash to burn so off to the wig store at the mall enfemme. I figured what the heck, if they don't want my money, I just buy something online. I walked in, was asked very nicely if I needed any assistance, I said not yet. I walked to the back of the store and looked at a medium length burnette style and then the SA walked up and asked again. I said, I'd like that one. That was it. She packed it up for me, I paid and waltzed out of the store with my purchase.... lovin' every minute of it....

Renne.....

BLUE ORCHID
01-17-2012, 09:18 PM
Hi Katie, The lady where I get my wigs says that she has a lot of male customers.

sometimes_miss
01-18-2012, 01:06 PM
I originally spend a lot of time looking in the window of a wig shop many miles away, afraid to be seen buying one. Also, the prices were way more than I wanted to pay. I decided to go online and see what I could find. I wanted a long, somewhat straight wig. I first found wigs.com, and an inexpensive wig by Wigpro called 'Georgie'. A synthetic, quite long, and what they referred to as a 'large cap'. Very comfortable. I wear them frequently, and of course, the strands get tangled. But some of the fun is taking the time to untangle those tangles one by one. It takes a while, but the cap stretches out over time, and brushing or combing removes some of the strands. My first wig lasted me a year and a half. Since then, I've added two more, another in a slightly lighter blond, and a dark brown brunette.
all I can say, is it feels nice. And I don't have to be concerned at all with what anyone thinks. Only me!

VanessaJCD
01-18-2012, 05:33 PM
Called a Wig store to make sure it was ok. Woman who answered the phone didn't get it at first, then she was very nervous. Too bad lost a sale...

Beverley Sims
01-18-2012, 07:15 PM
I usually have fun when trying wigs on.
Go in light hearted, tell them it's for you, for whatever reason and ask them to do their best for you.
It puts them at ease, they love a challenge and stimulating interaction.
If they appear aprehensive, BACK OFF.
They..... are the SA's.

diannecourtney
01-18-2012, 07:42 PM
Saw a new wig store in a shopping center. will give it a try and let you know. Oh went to an MD today with French nails and two " heels. nary a look to my knowledge. Nails cause spelling bloppers oh well they are beautiful.

IngeInCO
01-18-2012, 08:03 PM
I've gone to a good shop in Denver. Bought a couple wigs there so far. Once I had the confidence to go the first time it was a great experience. I was in drab and just walked in. The woman who helped me asked my price range and we were off to the races! Must have tried on 25 or so. I probably paid a little more than online but I think trying them on is the best way to choose. Hmmm... what's my next style?

Vickie_CDTV
01-18-2012, 08:14 PM
If you have a local gender community, ask them for a reference. A wig shop that is trans friendly will let itself be known to the community, via advertising, sponsorships or just word of mouth.

Not all wig shops are welcoming. Many years ago I was going to school in a small town in western NY. I went into the wig shop just looking to buy a bottle of wig shampoo, and boy did I receive an icy welcome. It turns out it was a shop that catered to elderly women, I didn't know that per se, and the very elderly shopowner asked me what I wanted, sold me the shampoo and rushed me out the door. I had just finally gotten up the courage to buy a wig in person too. Oh, well.

Sometimes Steffi
01-19-2012, 07:44 PM

Kisses
Katie

I guess I've had an odd reaction, but only if you consider nothing odd and odd reaction.

I was a great experience to be fussed over and treated like a lady. I must have tried on over a dozen wigs at each of the wig stores I went to.

But, at least wear concealer to cover the beard. No wig looks good against a bearded face.

Devorah
01-19-2012, 10:33 PM
All really good advice given on here.

Open attitudes are just one of the fun things about living in the bay area. Nobody has ever batted an eye, and i've always gone in drab mode. I feel for you Beth, sounds like Tennessee can be challenging sometimes.

I just start off by entering the store and saying , "hi, i do drag and i'm looking for....." It's really that simple.

whowhatwhen
01-19-2012, 10:59 PM
But, at least wear concealer to cover the beard. No wig looks good against a bearded face.

As in outside? In male mode?!

Daphne Renee
01-19-2012, 11:09 PM
I have never bought a wig at a wig shop. The only ones I have bought are either through ebay or at a halloween store. I will probably go to a wig shop this year though.

drag n fly
01-20-2012, 08:20 AM
Last wig I bought.... When I tried it on.... the girl said "ohh wow... That is really cute on you"... SOLD!! I love Lolittas Lingerie Store! Gawd Karren...This is a great photo of you...Pertinent to the thread's subject matter, too...Great hair.. You look different here...Smooches Jackie

Karen43
01-20-2012, 01:38 PM
Just before Christmas I called a Beauty Salon that also specializes in wigs in a city about 60 miles from my home, asked if they had any problem coming for appointment dressed, said no problem. Got up day of appointment, great makeup job and tastefully dressed drove to appointment. It was great, beautician treated me like one of the girls, took me to fitting room and started trying on wigs, other beauticians would pop in to see how it was going. Was there about 45 minutes and wound up buying a gorgeous Raquel Welch wig which the beautician cut and styled for me. Afterwards I felt really great and went to the mall shopping. Will never do mail order wigs again :battingeyelashes:

ArleneRaquel
01-20-2012, 01:39 PM
I've never purchased a wig in person while enfemme or in drab.

tamCD
01-20-2012, 05:19 PM
My wig is the second female item I bought. I am lucky I live in a big city with shops of all kinds. There's even a whole area with lots of beauty shops (mostly african beauty shops).

The first shop I visited was tv/ts/drag-queen shop with a lot of colorful and extravagant accessories. The owner was very (gay) friendly but the wigs were quite cheap.
Then I went to a second shop. It was specialized in wigs, just wigs, quality wigs. The lady was very helpful, I tried 1 or 2 wigs but they were expensive.
I went to a third shop of the same kind, just across the street and here again the lady sounded very welcoming but I couldn't find any wigs I liked.
Finally I went back to the first shop to buy my wig. The guy gave me lots of advices and we even talked about tv parties !

Recently I was in that neighborhood so I looked at all the wigs in the windows of the black beauty salons. I spotted one I like so I'm gonna go there and see how it goes... As usual I will follow my motto : expect the worse, hope for the best, and just be yourself, don't care too much about what others think, they may be jealous or frustrated and just want to get you down... Don't let them do !
I've had SA laugh at me, I ignored them
I've had SA tell me I was trying to pick up girls clothing, I said "yes I know, so what ?" and then she was the one feeling stupid and making excuses
Most of the time though everything goes just fine

tam

Janet Bern
01-20-2012, 11:50 PM
Never had a problem with a wig store
They are always happy to see us
They are in the business of selling wigs
I find that is the only place to buy them as they will
be able to match you face with the correct style wig

Annaliese2010
01-21-2012, 02:05 AM
Gimme a head with Hair! Long beautiful hair. Shining, gleaming, streaming, flaxen & waxen hair. Give me down to there! Hair! Shoulder length or longer. Here baby, there mama. Everywhere daddy daddy hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair, hair. Flow it! Show it! Long as God can grow it. My hair!

Let it fly in the breeze. Get caught in the trees. Give a home to fleas. And a hive for the bees. A nest for birds, there ain't no words for the beauty, the splendor, the wonder of my...HAIR! (Lyrics from 'Hair' by the Cowsils).

:battingeyelashes:

Flow it! Show it! Looong as I can Grow it. My HAIR!!!

Sometimes Steffi
01-24-2012, 10:54 PM
As in outside? In male mode?!

Um, yeah. Dressed androgenous, put on concealer when I got to the wig store.

TSAlyssa
01-25-2012, 01:41 AM
I go either in my femme mode or as a guy - nobody says much or if they do ask, I tell.

Fiona Lindum
01-26-2012, 05:05 AM
I bought my last wig when I was in guy mode. The staff in the shop were very helpful.

Wendy Volare
02-05-2012, 09:49 AM
Renne>>>

Guess what I bought my make up and wig this weekend.....I was in male mode and the SA was very helpful.... I had to do this so I did.... after wearing it and brushing i just could not bring myself to taking it off! But it really shows now how much I need to learn the art of makeup

This forum is inspiring me soooo much...and its nice to share with you!

Wendy

Krista1985
02-05-2012, 10:20 AM
I bought a really nice one from a wig specialty shop.

I had passed it a couple of times running errands, and one afternoon I had to go in. I was in drab but wanted a wig really bad. It happened to be a week before Halloween, which was lucky I suppose. The SA was an older Asian American woman, and she was confused when I brought my purchase to the register. "It's for girl." she said to me as she scanned it with a shrug.

"It's for Halloween costume." I replied a bit red faced. It was angry red faced as opposed to embarrassed red faced. I couldn't believe a wig shop salesperson would be so ignorant, I was putting cash in her register, and she went out of her way to make me feel unwelcome. Never been back to that place, never will return. Luckily that isn't the only specialty store near me!

jilliannichols
02-05-2012, 10:58 AM
Bought my first wig at a wig store (pretending confidence but in terror).Asian lady was cool with all that.Next time I bought at a beauty supply store and should have continued that practice.I've had both good and bad luck choosing via catalog from The Wig Company.Problems caused by not choosing correctly.They sell different lines and prices.Last purchase was back at beauty supply store and though it was inexpensive,it framed my face well.My dental hygienist said she liked it better than what I had worn on my previous visit.I guess the key is to learn what styles work best for your(gurl)self.Until I'm more adept at choosing,I'm going to go back to using professional advice.
Imagine how hard it must be for GGs to change styles,lengths,colors,highlights,etc.And we think
its hard for us!

JaneAshland
02-05-2012, 11:21 AM
As I just stated in a previous post, I called a Wig Shop in Myrtle Beach SC, asked the clerk if she had experience with guys, she said that she had several guy repeat customers. I asked her if she was ok with me coming in as a woman, she said not at all. So, she was kind enough to see me after reg business hours, so she closed at 5pm and I came in at 5:30. What a wonderful experience. I was able to try on several wigs, and pick out the one that I felt, as she did as well, the wig that fit my facial structure the best. I cannot begin to express how wonderful the whole experience was....I will definitely return dressed as Jane again to her. No more internet wigs for me after this incredible experience, not that that was bad, it's just so nice to have one fitted and trimmed by a pro.

paula123
02-05-2012, 12:07 PM
I buy most of my wigs on line but once i bought one of crages list called the lady she had a good selaction and made me feel good bough a nice one from her

michelleddg
02-05-2012, 12:39 PM
When in doubt, call first and simply ask "do you cater to transgenders"? My experience is that the answer is invariably an instantaneous "yes", which indicates both they understood the question and that we're a material portion of their business. I find I can't make a good decision on wigs looking at myself in guy mode, so a reasonable followup question is "OK if I come in dressed to try on wigs?".

Most, if not all wig shops have privacy booths as a big chunk of their customers are chemo patients. I've also found the SA's want you to be happy, want you to look good and are free with advice and compliments. Maybe it's just being professional, maybe it's the extra challenge :-) Either way, my visits to wig shops have always been satisfying experiences...Hugs, Michelle

msginaadoll
02-05-2012, 02:06 PM
I do most of my shopping at a place called Hair Secret at the Oakland Mall. The ladies there are very professional and helpful. I usually go enfemme and they are great at remembering my name. They even asked me to reccommend them to my friends and acquaintances. I think they realize that we as a group are good business!

jacky83
02-14-2012, 09:52 AM
One of the Chicago area wig stores that advertised in the newspapers a lot always included that TVs were welcome in the ad.

Daliah
02-14-2012, 02:58 PM
Local wig shop I go to had no problem from the beginning. I told her straight I am a crossdresser and she spent good amount of time selecting wigs for me. For those who live in Puget Sound area, wig shop is located in Lynnwood nearby Alderwood mall.

girlalex
02-14-2012, 03:52 PM
One time I walked into a wig shop just to look around and check out the prices when a lady told me that I have a beautiful hair already and that I don't need a wig.lol little does she know.

Tasha_Yar
02-14-2012, 04:40 PM
About a month ago bought a new wig as I ruined my favorite "Sarah Palin" one by standing too close to a patio heater, which permanently frizzed my wig. Went en-femme and got wonderful service. Smallish specialty store. Great help in selecting a style that went with my head shape and Carla (The SA) re-styled it a bit and trimmed some too-long bangs off to make it look good. No funny looks nor questions.

-Tasha