PDA

View Full Version : My first session with a gender therapist

Jonianne
01-13-2012, 06:39 PM
I just had my first session with a gender therapist. :) It went very well. Like others mentioned it was a "getting to know you" meeting, mostly. I shared my story and we talked about how I came to where I am now. I was nervous at first, but once we got going, it was eazy to talk. She helped me find a TG support group (GEM) here in the Norfolk area. So that will be a good place to start.

Recently, I have done a 180 on seeing myself as only being someone who likes to crossdress and has no need to go any further. I know it is deeper than that and that my inside gender is female. Over the past few years I have been allowing the feminine inside show up more and more on the outside, in my everyday behaviour and appearance.

I have gone through some difficult times and a lot of changes in my life recently and soon, my daughter will be off to college and I will be alone. It's time to reevaluate my life and what direction I need and want to go. I know, inside, I have always wanted to be female and my crossdressing really was just practice. I have never allowed myself to even consider anything else, because of the commitments in my life. Hopefully with my counselor and TG support group, I can see and make it through the realities of what transition will be like.

You all are my family that understands and I very much apprecieate your being here. :daydreaming:

Hugs,
Joni

AudreyTN
01-13-2012, 07:19 PM
congratulations, please keep us updated, I'll be subscribing because I'm getting ready to meet with a gender therapist myself, in the next month or two, and this will give me a good idea of what goes on and how the process goes.

good luck, be strong!

Aprilrain
01-13-2012, 08:26 PM
good luck, IMO therapy is essential! this is not the easiest path to follow and its good to have someone who can help you out along the way. Support groups can be a wonderful tool as well.

sandra-leigh
01-14-2012, 02:03 AM
I know, inside, I have always wanted to be female and my crossdressing really was just practice.

Cross-dressing as just practice... I know what you mean.

In my case, my need to "cross-dress" by pushing boundaries with my clothes, wearing notable forms, get pierced ears, and so on, all even in "guy mode", was more or less just practice for being publicly transgendered all the time.

Or, to phrase it another way, in reality it was all part of me "transitioning" to TG.

By the time I realized I was TG, there wasn't so much left to do, and I more or less just kept doing what I had been doing, except this time knowing why I was doing it, and now feeling less ashamed / guilty / taboo / worried about it. Indeed, once I realized I was TG, those needs to push everything diminished. Something had been pushing me strongly to Change, so I Changed, and then those outward displays were no longer as important.

Though I have to keep in mind that I've been on HRT for the last year, which has in itself done a lot to calm my dysphoria, so it could be that I am creating retroactive memories about when various things happened.

Rianna Humble
01-14-2012, 06:26 AM
Hi Jonianne, I'm so glad your first session went well and it's great that she has helped you to find a support group.

I like your analogy of cross-dressing as practice. Now that you have accepted who you are, the adventure is just beginning, but we'll be right behind you every step of the way!

luvSophia
01-14-2012, 07:03 AM
She helped me find a TG support group (GEM) here in the Norfolk area. So that will be a good place to start.
I know the woman who facilitates that support group. She is an incredible person and a wonderful human being.

Jonianne
01-14-2012, 08:30 AM
Thanks, everyone.

I know the woman who facilitates that support group. She is an incredible person and a wonderful human being.

That is great! Hopefully I can get in contact with her soon and find out the meeting info.

Julia_in_Pa
01-14-2012, 09:21 AM
Hi Joni!!,

I fully understand and I appreciate you being here for me like you have.

This journey your on is not easy but family like us can and do make it easier.

Thank you for you Joni.

Julia

LeaP
01-14-2012, 09:06 PM
Congratulations on taking the 1st step with therapy. Having done the same thing only a few days ago, I sympathize with the nerves! I hope it continues well for you.

Lea