PDA

View Full Version : What Is Real??

Julia_in_Pa
01-15-2012, 01:04 PM
I present to you a quote by Margery William Bianco author of the children's book The Velveteen Rabbit .

The quote is from the book.

This quote is for each one of us that has gone through or is going through transition to become our real selves.

"" “What is REAL?" asked the Velveteen Rabbit one day... "Does it mean having things that buzz inside you and a stick-out handle?"

"Real isn't how you are made," said the Skin Horse. "It's a thing that happens to you. When [someone] loves you for a long, long time, not just to play with, but REALLY loves you, then you become Real."

"Does it hurt?" asked the Rabbit.

"Sometimes," said the Skin Horse, for he was always truthful. "When you are Real you don't mind being hurt."

"Does it happen all at once, like being wound up," he asked, "or bit by bit?"

"It doesn't happen all at once," said the Skin Horse. "You become. It takes a long time. That's why it doesn't often happen to people who break easily, or have sharp edges, or who have to be carefully kept.

"Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand... once you are Real you can't become unreal again. It lasts for always.”

Julia

SandraAbsent
01-15-2012, 01:46 PM
Appropriate placed post for how I feel today, thank you!

Jonianne
01-15-2012, 02:14 PM
......"Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly......”

Julia, thank you for sharing the quote. That was a very lovely message and very touching. The most profound thoughts are often found on a child's level. :hugs:

michelleinktown
01-15-2012, 02:23 PM
Thanks for that Julia, Gives me something to think about and hopefully what is going on in my head will vanish soon

Michelle xoxo

Jordie
01-15-2012, 04:48 PM
THanks Julia! It comes at the right time. So many things running in my head today and feeling sad and down. It is not easy.... No, it is NOT.

Love

Persephone
01-15-2012, 10:41 PM
Beautiful! Thanks!

Just downloaded the book and look forward to reading it.

Hugs,
Persephone.

Badtranny
01-15-2012, 10:52 PM
Jeez Julia, that was beautiful and clearly belies that cold hearted ice queen act you try and foist on us every now and then. ;-)

I read that book when I was a kid but of course the message totally escaped me. I guess that's why kid's books have pictures.

Jorja
01-15-2012, 11:08 PM
Just Beautiful! Thanks.

You may think this is just words from a children's book but it is so very true.

Hope
01-16-2012, 05:24 AM
I do remember that quote, though it has been years since I read it. It definitly has wonderful implications for the trans community.

Last week, after my little snip-snip, my partner and I went out for chinese food... My fortune cookie had this in it:

"The major value in life is not in what you get, but in what you become."

Zenith
01-16-2012, 11:14 AM
..."The major value in life is not in what you get, but in what you become."

The people in power in this country think the EXACT opposite...they get so much and become so little...:straightface:

Eileen
01-16-2012, 12:18 PM
So appropriate! Thank you for sharing!

Eileen

kelliT
01-16-2012, 12:23 PM
Thank you Julia, wonderful quote.

kimdl93
01-16-2012, 01:30 PM
"Generally, by the time you are Real, most of your hair has been loved off, and your eyes drop out and you get loose in the joints and very shabby. But these things don't matter at all, because once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand... once you are Real you can't become unreal again. It lasts for always.”

Julia

Lately, I've apparently become far more real to my neighbors. I certainly am loose in the joints and sometimes appear a bit shabby, despite my best efforts; but I am being treated with a level of kindness and consideration that I hadn't expected!

Laurie Ann
01-16-2012, 01:49 PM
Julia truer words I have not heard. Thanks

Asako
01-16-2012, 06:51 PM
Recently Julia, your posts have been making me think a lot about a lot of things. Thank you for posting this quote. It is a large amount of "fuel for thought" whenever I read it.

Julie Hall
01-18-2012, 12:18 AM
Julia, thank you so much for that quote. You brought a tear to my eye, darn mascara!

Julie

Kelsy
01-18-2012, 05:16 AM
once you are Real you can't be ugly, except to people who don't understand... once you are Real you can't become unreal again. It lasts for always.”

Julia

Truly beautiful Julia,

The struggle wears you down and sometimes you don't see the changes that are making you and moving you to become real. The best thing I ever did on this road to becoming real was to come out and tell everyone the truth about myself!
The people who do not see me as ugly have shown me a love that I never realized existed!
Inspiring Julia, I must say!

K

*Vanessa*
02-05-2012, 11:50 AM
What is real?

Well Julia, if you could see my eyes you would see a twinkle. Everyone on these pages are real in my mind and you, you are the genesis of Middle Ground (an insider comment). Unlike the Nursery Magic Fairy, I don't have to be shown that you are real, you are.

I don't post much any more, I've been kicked one to many times and just want to see a happy tomorrow. I read a few thread now and then, but really my wish, 'My Real' is worn smooth and still look at the real bunnies hopping and laughing as rabbits do.

josee
02-05-2012, 01:09 PM
I always loved that book as a child. Thanks for the reminder! I may have to read it again as well.

Debb
02-05-2012, 01:41 PM
Thanks Julia, that's definitely worth some meditating.