PDA

View Full Version : Hobby Talk

Princess Chantal
01-18-2012, 04:40 AM
For some of us, we pursue crossdressing in our spare time for purely pleasure (I don't mean the sexual pleasure btw) and/or relaxation. Many from that group would describe their crossdressing as a hobby. So let's talk about crossdressing as a hobby.
What is it about crossdressing that interests you the most?
What do you love to collect that is crossdressing related?
What type of crossdressing activities and adventures do you prefer?
Do you have prized possessions that you would like to "show and tell"?
What are you working on at the moment?
What have you done so far?
What is it that you have a burning desire to get your hands on?
I don't want to have this thread go in the direction of debating whether crossdressing is a hobby or not, so please refrain from doing so!!!

Anyhoo I guess I should start the chat with describing the hobby side of my crossdressing. So here goes it:
I have interests in vintage clothing, shoes, costuming and role playing, office wear, movies that involve crossdressing in a comedic sense, reading and gaining knowledge of the types of crossdressing, watching drag shows and performing, and of course the various types of pantyhose. I also adore taking my crossdressing to public places and events of interest to me.
My collection of clothing are not always purchased with the intention to add to my personal wardrobe. Some items are in sizes that I would never fit and some are too precious or too fragile to even handle. I have a mink fur muff dated nearly 150 years, a pair of chinese foot binding slippers that are not authentic, and adult sized bloomers with the backdoor flap (you know like Dennis the Menace pajamas).

Before I do any more typing, I want to see if this thread is of any interest to others.

linda allen
01-18-2012, 06:57 AM
I used the term "hobby" on this forum before and it was turned against me so I don't think I'll be using it again.

When I referred to my dressing as a woman as a "hobby", I just meant it as something I enjoy doing in my spare time, much like coin or stamp collecting or golf or fishing. I don't collect clothing or jewelry for its own sake.

BLUE ORCHID
01-18-2012, 08:23 AM
Hi Chantal, I too see CDing as a hobby I like collect shoes & lingerie
like people some collect stamps or coins.
I also like to make jewelery neckless, bracelets & earrings .
I like to watch women in malls and on tv and try to
duplicate thier look and style.

kimdl93
01-18-2012, 09:55 AM
Putting aside my inner/emotional/psychological needs for the moment and treating this just as something I do:

What is it about crossdressing that interests you the most? For me, there's a challenge in trying to look at least presentable and to disguise the more masculine aspects.
What do you collect - necklaces and earrings.
crossdressing activities and adventures - I enjoy going out to do everyday tasks - whether its grocery shopping, walking the dogs, or shipping a package.
What have you done so far? I get out in public pretty much on a daily basis.
What burning desire - to go out with my wife and for to travel with her, en femme.

taking my crossdressing to public places

Stephanie47
01-18-2012, 10:03 AM
I don't view cross dressing as a hobby. But, to each his own. I do collect full slips=over 400. I love the different colors, styles and lace. I see nothing wrong with collecting clothing. Some collect Nikes. Or jeans. Some collect a particular line of lingerie. It's nice to be able to wear a hobby. I love building military models in a pretty dress.

Karren H
01-18-2012, 10:25 AM
I liken it to a hobby but I really think its more of a sport... Or some combination.... Spobby or Hort? I don't know all I know is I'm driven and obsessed about it as I am ice hockey. (Played last night....Got to bed at 2am...... Zzzzzz). But I have to eat right and exercise to stay "in shape"... And have to practice... practice... practice.. If that doesn't describe a sport I don't know what? Maybe not a contact sport unless that's what your into! Lol.

Now there's an idea.... Contacting the LFL.. Lingerie Football League and see if they be interested in an spinoff... CDFL... Or CDHL? Oh yeah! Bunch of guys in dresses running around trying not to break a nail... :)

docrobbysherry
01-18-2012, 10:46 AM
Nice idea for a thread Chantal. If folks will stay on point! Oh yes. Dressing IS like a hobby for me. So, what do I do?

1. Try to present Sherry as realistically as possible, using images of women I see, saw, or have imagined!
2. Collect clothes, props, gear, etc. that I need, may need, or just think r cute, for Sherry to use/wear.
3. And, last but NOT least, enjoy bantering with, comparing notes, and meeting OTHER dressing HOBBYISTS! Lol!

BTW, Karren, where can I find photos of girls in their LFL outfits? Maybe Sherry, properly attired, can play a few downs with them!?

Princess Chantal
01-18-2012, 11:50 AM
Sherry I love your creative mind with the photo shoots, impersonations (when you do them), clothing and props. Quite an inspiration for some of my crossdressing activities.

3. And, last but NOT least, enjoy bantering with, comparing notes, and meeting OTHER dressing HOBBYISTS! Lol!

Exactly why I made the thread, lets banter about the joys and jollies of being a hobbyist crossdresser!!! with no cares of terminology, hardships of crossdressing, and gender questioning (or whatever you call it)

Chantal hasn't been drafted into the LFL yet, but she did take a few swings with the Cheeky Cuties in the Pride Baseball Tourney and recieved a few body checks in her hockey equipment

Karren H
01-18-2012, 11:52 AM
Nice idea for a thread Chantal. If folks will stay on point!

BTW, Karren, where can I find photos of girls in their LFL outfits? Maybe Sherry, properly attired, can play a few downs with them!?

You bucking for a moderator job?? Lol. Check the LFL on Facebook. http://m.facebook.com/mylfl

Their photos - http://m.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.125335477102.103358.38982157102&type=1&v&refid=0

Princess Chantal
01-18-2012, 11:56 AM
I also like to make jewelery neckless, bracelets & earrings .

I would so like to see your most proud pieces of work

AllieSF
01-18-2012, 03:32 PM
I consider my dressing as a hobby too. So, in answer to your questions:

What is it about crossdressing that interests you the most?For this one, I am probably driven to dress as many here are, for whatever unknown reason. So, I just go with the flow. I think that my primary interest is the role playing a women out in the real world meeting real people doing real things.

What do you love to collect that is crossdressing related?I guess for me it really isn't collecting to collect. It is obtaining to use. So, I obtain clothes and accessories to meet my needs and to experiment with different looks.

What type of crossdressing activities and adventures do you prefer?I do not dress up at home to be dressed. I dress up at home to figure out what I will wear for my next time out. I have to go out, so I do things as Allie that I do as Al. I go to theaters (going tomorrow night), museums, restaurants, bars, tourist attractions, golf, tennis and flew on a plane. I need to be out and interacting with others.

Do you have prized possessions that you would like to "show and tell"?I do not know if I really have prized possessions. I do have some favorite outfits. But by having too many outfits, it sometimes is hard to pick a favorite.I would say that my prized possessions are all my clothes and accessories that let me create a different outfit every time I go out. It is large enough to give me that versatility.

What are you working on at the moment?Aside from always obtaining new clothes, I am working on clearing my facial hair through electrolysis.

What have you done so far?I have done much more than I ever could have imagined when being dressed as a women, and have had so many wonderful and interesting experiences by meeting and doing things with complete strangers. I have finally learned how go with the flow!

What is it that you have a burning desire to get your hands on?Nothing really. I have the fantasy to win the lotto and have apartments in NYC and other locations to travel to and be Allie enjoying what life has to offer. I am just trying to live the remaining years to the fullest.

Veronica27
01-19-2012, 03:40 PM
I commented earlier this morning in the thread entitled "I know I'm in the Minority Here" about the trend toward acceptance of crossdressing as a hobby for some, before coming across this thread. I was thus quite delighted to read this one, as it backed up my earlier comment. So without further ado, I will provide the following answers to your questions:

"What is it about crossdressing that interests you the most?"

I think that it provides a fantastic vehicle for casting aside those inbred male inhibitions about anything to do with women and femininity, and allowing myself to experience aspects of life that are arbitrarily denied to men but routinely available to women.

"What do you love to collect that is crossdressing related?"

I don't collect things per se, but concentrate on acquiring a variety of female clothing and accessories in order to experience as wide a range as possible of different feminine sensations.

"What type of crossdressing activities and adventures do you prefer?"

I prefer to wear clothing that is totally female oriented with a skirt and fancy blouse or dress, rather than slacks, and including everything necessary to complete the illusion. As I am mostly closeted, I spend most of my crossdressing time sitting around, which in some ways is self-defeating, because nobody dresses up to do that. The result is I do a lot of underdressing, and partial dressing in an attempt to satisfy my desires with quantity rather than quality. As for adventures, I am not a club person and not especially fond of shopping. My experiences have been limited to a few CD events where I can enjoy having a good meal with a large group of like-minded CD's and their SO's.

"Do you have prized possessions that you would like to "show and tell"?"

Not a lot of items, although I do have a couple of favourites that I have worn to a few functions. One is a powder blue long evening dress that I have worn to a few banquets and the other is a long red sundress with 1" straps, which requires me to wear a strapless bra, that I have also worn at some events. Needless to say, I love long dresses and skirts.

"What are you working on at the moment?"

This posting. Seriously, I am not crossdressed at the moment, and have no plans for anything special in the near future.

"What have you done so far?"

I have attended about 4 crossdressing annual gatherings, dressed up a few times at Halloween to distribute candy to the Trick or Treaters, gone for a few car rides, and hiked in the trails in the woods in back of my property. Other than that, it has all been in the confines of my home, with only my wife being in the know.

"What is it that you have a burning desire to get your hands on?"

About the only things I would like to possess, if I could afford them, would be a set of the attachable breast forms which create a realistic cleavage and have virtually invisible transition lines between the form and your own body. I can't remember where I saw these. Also a good set of attachable hip pads if they are available would be nice. If the question ended in "to do" rather than "to get your hands on", my answer would probably be much fuller.

Veronica

Princess Chantal
01-22-2012, 05:42 AM
Has the "crossdressing is not a hobby" influence of others in the community (online or locally) ever made you question your view of your own personal crossdressing as being a hobby?
It was mentioned earlier by Linda Allen that she refrains from describing her crossdressing as a hobby on the forum cause of using the term had negative consequences. Do you feel the same restriction in using the term?

For my own crossdressing, describing a large portion of it as a hobby would be quite accurate. Sexual and self expression (I don't mean gender expression) play small and usually separate roles in my crossdressing.

annecwesley
01-22-2012, 06:51 AM
What is it about crossdressing that interests you the most?The feel of satiny materials, and the look of femininity. And staying warm.

What do you love to collect that is crossdressing related?Pantyhose, especially vintage pantyhose.

What type of crossdressing activities and adventures do you prefer?I love lounging around and just casually going about my day-to-day business at home in a dress. I also love to walk in the woods in a skirt.

Do you have prized possessions that you would like to "show and tell"?I have a vintage full slip with an amazingly wide sweep.

What are you working on at the moment?Staying warm -LOL. Honestly, I'm into wool suits when I dress in the morning.

What is it that you have a burning desire to get your hands on?Full sized silicone breast forms.

Veronica27
01-22-2012, 12:07 PM
Has the "crossdressing is not a hobby" influence of others in the community (online or locally) ever made you question your view of your own personal crossdressing as being a hobby?

It has led me to give much thought to the whole question of crossdressing from various viewpoints, but my own opinion that it is a hobby for me, has never wavered regardless of how much thought I give it. In fact it has strengthened that conviction. I have cut back, to some extent, from mentioning that viewpoint on forums and in person because of the negativity that it seems to arouse.

Veronica

Princess Chantal
01-22-2012, 07:46 PM
As a crossdressing "hobbyist", what type of topics or discussions do you take an interest of participating in and/or reading? Which do you have absolute no interest in?
How much care do you have in the definitions and terminology?
Have you or would you describe your crossdressing as a hobby when coming out to someone?

AllieSF
01-23-2012, 12:02 AM
Though sometimes it is inevitable that some else may influence how I feel about something, when it comes to my description of what crossdressing is for me, no one influences my opinion. It is like a very serious hobby to me with a few complications that normal hobbies do not cause. I like to read and participate in just about about all types of topics on this forum from the silly and routine to the more serious and controversial. In my outside reading, I have read in the past several books on transgenderism and will probably read a few more in the future, but my normal reading material, which is very eclectic still reigns supreme and has nothing to do with my hobby interests. I have described my crossdressing to several people as like going to a lot of masquerade parties (outings for me) where I maintain the theme of a woman and vary the costume to fit the occasion and venue.

I am not sure what you mean by having care in definitions and terminology. I go for the general most accepted terminology and try to not dwell on the details of that.

Krististeph
01-23-2012, 12:16 AM
The only 'hobby' portion would be sewing and altering clothes as needed, or when i do a little light crossdressing while biking, skating, or skiing. Otherwise it is a significant part of all other aspects of my life. I did get some guff from my wife once when I was crossdressed while doing some reloading (firearm ammunition assembly), but is wasn't like i was wearing a prom dress or anything incongruous. Told her if i had to wear men's clothes when i was reloading, she'd have to wear a dress to the shooting range if she wanted to use the ammo i was loading for her... :-)

I agree that terminology is problematic, and i accept there are more recreational aspects of crossdressing- i like Dogbert's take on hobbies- goes something like this:
Dogbert: "I'm off to start my new hobby."
Dilbert: "doing what?"
Dogbert: "walking around a hitting stupid people on the forehead with a flyswatter."
Dilbert: "What purpose does that serve?"
Dogbert: "If is had a purpose, it would not be a hobby."

Crossdressing's purpose for me is to live the way in which i want to see myself, helps me accept my life rather than fight it.

I guess i also like putting together costumes and ensembles- that's kind of an un-necessary part of crossdressing i none-the-less enjoy.

Good question, well phrased and qualified!

-kristi

Veronica27
01-23-2012, 10:01 AM
I tend to enjoy reading philosophical and psychological essays and opinions about gender issues generally, and crossdressing aspects specifically. Where people place themselves on the gender spectrum and why, what they derive from crossdressing, what led them down the crossdressing path, the family dynamics of their childhood, etc. are all topics of interest to me. I am least interested in descriptions of clothing or makeup acquisitions, unless there is something to be learned such as a CD friendly sources, or a new technique.

Definitions and terminology are extremely important for the purposes of any serious discussion, and which definition is being used should be clarified at the outset. Outside of an intellectual discussion or debate, they are next to useless because there is little unanimity about them, even in our community. I use crossdress to describe my own activity because it implies nothing other than the wearing of female clothing.

I definitely would describe my crossdressing as a hobby, and in the past have done so.

Veronica

Princess Chantal
01-23-2012, 11:42 AM
Thanks to all those that shared their thoughts. So far there were very interesting reads. Feel free to add your questions or chat about anything with those that share the hobbylike mindset of their crossdressing.

shawnsheila
01-23-2012, 11:59 AM
What is it about crossdressing that interests you the most?
The feminine feel of the clothing and also the journey of trying to look as convincing as a GG as possible while remaining male.

What do you love to collect that is crossdressing related?
SHOES! Vintage clothing (I love the pin up girl look), office wear, formal wear, garter belts, stockings... basically I love looking relatively conservative on the outside wile wearing naughty undergarments :o

What type of crossdressing activities and adventures do you prefer?
I love going out shopping. I have never gone out in a group/social setting like a bar or a club and I would love to experience that.

Do you have prized possessions that you would like to "show and tell"?
My shoe collection :) I have a shoe collection that keep growing, which is extremely difficult to keep hidden.

What are you working on at the moment?
My femme voice as well as makeup... I am terrible at both and in order to be more convincing, I need to practice more.

What have you done so far?
I have gone out a few times (shopping) which has been heaven for me but I would like to go out in a social setting like a bar/club

What is it that you have a burning desire to get your hands on?
More wigs to change my look up a bit as well as more outfits and probably better makeup once I learn how to apply it better :)