PDA

View Full Version : Feminine Eyeglasses Frames

Shannon
10-28-2005, 12:07 AM
I'm blind as a bat without glasses -- terribly near-sighted, can't wear contacts and won't do lasik surgery. So I must wear glasses to see 5 feet in front of me. There are a lot of uni-sex eyeglass frames, and there are some nice styles that have a contemporary feminine look. So my question for any be-speckeled sisters out there -- do you have feminine frames? What was your experience getting fitted for feminine styled frames -- is this another shopping situation that appears more nerve-racking than it actually turns out to be?
TIA

Sweet Susan
10-28-2005, 12:32 AM
I have been wearing women's eyeglass frames for several years. I currently have three pair of regular prescription glasses and two pairs of prescription sunglasses. I don't even know where my guy frames are. Nobody has ever said a word to me. I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Paula Rae
10-28-2005, 02:31 AM
Hey Shannon,
Wigs, Make up, Heels and now glasses, you gals have got my head spinning.

But seriously, Sweet Susan is right, no one can tell the difference. I too have feminine style glasses (Transitions) I bought them just for the looks.

Wow I'm lucky tonight, two of my favorite people in the same thread.

Ricki B

Marlena Dahlstrom
10-28-2005, 02:51 AM
With lots of styles the only real difference between men's and women's is the size of the frames. You can also go to an online store like Lenscrafters (http://www.lenscrafters.com) to find a set of women's frames you like, then find a men's equivalent.

ChrissyCrossedLegs
10-28-2005, 05:01 AM
GREAT thread sis as I was only thinking of this the other day...
Thinking of getting a coloured pair myself, just anything different to my normal ones.. will keep u informed

BeckyCath
10-28-2005, 05:12 AM
Hi Shannon...

I got a girl pair and a unisex pair last time i went to the optician, They were fine about it, and were happy for me to go in as a woman to choose my girl frame, I've since got contact lenses, and went for every contact lense appt as the real me.

I can really vouch for my local branch of Specsavers, they're really nice and friendly! I've even got both names on my records now!!

Hope you get a glam girlie frame soon...

Rebecca

Wendy me
10-28-2005, 05:53 AM
i have reading glasses ... i got mine at cvs ...thay are femmy for shure tinny little thingys and thay are red with a red case .... when we go out toeat or i need to read something i wear them and no one ever said a word............

Billijo49504
10-28-2005, 06:11 AM
I only have safety glasses. But I got the unisex frames. And have the removable side shields. I've been using the uni frames for years.

KatieZ
10-28-2005, 07:14 AM
I'm needing a new pair myself. The last time I bought some was about 7 years ago (way too long) at Wal-mart. They are rather large w/pink frame. When I picked out the frames the girl looked at me and stated "these are women's frames" and had a rather sour look on her face. I just smiled and said "right". She just glared at me (bitch) and then filled out the form. I went back a few days later when they said they would be ready and the eye doctor fitted them for me. He didn't say anything, just did his job. I paid and left. I won't be going back there for glasses again. Recently I have been looking at frames at Sears and Lenscrafters. The people at both places were helpful and polite. But Sears has a limited selection and Lenscrafters are outrageously expensive. So I am still looking.

Hugs

DonnaT
10-28-2005, 07:41 AM
I picked out what I thought to be unisex at the optomitrist's earlier this year. My wife was upset as she thought them to be too fem. The sales girl thought they looked good. Here's what they look like on:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/DonnaTvTg/closeup.jpg

Bonnie D
10-28-2005, 08:05 AM
Good question Shannon,

I wear glasses to drive and read things at a distance. When I went out en femme for my first and only time a couple of weeks ago (in another city). I put my glasses in my purse in case I might need to see anything out of range, luckily I didn't have to and we cabbed. But it did make me ask myself that very thing. I'm closeted so it makes it even more difficult to go into a store and ask for femme glasses especially when not dressed.

Another question that came up for me while out that night was the matter of a nice femme overcoat for cool or rainy evenings. Since it was nice out only one of the girls I went out with had worn an overcoat. It was very nice on her. If the weather hadn't been as nice as it was I would have had to wear my drab jacket which wouldn't have suited my overall appearance at all.

Bonnie

Kayla Smith
10-28-2005, 08:14 AM
I just got my first pair of womens eyeglasses a few months ago, all I did was go to a doctors visions works, picked out my eyeglasses then picked out a pretty gradient rose tint for the lenses and the whole time the sales girls did not say a word about my choices. I now only wear my new womens glasses, I think they look better than my guy glasses. The model I have is CSC brand Alexis model in satin gold.

ginafaye
10-28-2005, 12:16 PM
did i say already how much i love this place .....this is something im needing to do also my glasses are five years old ......no fem frames yet but really want them

Bobbi_Gurli
10-28-2005, 12:22 PM
I went to a discount eyeglasses store and picked the fem frames I wanted from the display, handed them to the clerk with a copy of my prescription. A few days later, I picked them up. No one seemed to notice or care. I think the busier the store, the better chance you have of not being hassled.

tifftg
10-28-2005, 12:25 PM
Just wandered around the optical shop at Target and found frames that I felt would work either way. What do you think?

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=169195&postcount=10

Tiff

PS and yes that is me, cool what different hair will do. LOL

Mary L
10-28-2005, 04:09 PM
Try http://www.39dollarglasses.com/index.html When I bought my glasses, it was "29dollarglasses.com" and the glasses were divided into male/female/unisex. Now, they only have "Unisex" glasses and most of those I like are shown with female models.

Sophie Haworth
10-28-2005, 04:15 PM
Personally I would suggest frameless, I wear them in all my photos, and I feel they look fine, in that they really do not stand out.

I have tried frames, but without serious help from an assitant found it next to impossible to find a pair that would suit me dressed.

Up to now, I have managed to pass with these.

Sophie

KathrynW
10-28-2005, 04:29 PM
I picked out what I thought to be unisex at the optomitrist's earlier this year. My wife was upset as she thought them to be too fem. The sales girl thought they looked good. Here's what they look like on:
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y12/DonnaTvTg/closeup.jpg
they look pretty girly to me... :confused:

iseiai no okama
10-28-2005, 05:48 PM
Womens frames and mens frames are beginning to converge in appearance. And it's somewhat difficult to tell them apart sometimes.

Shannon
10-29-2005, 02:34 AM
Thanks girls for all your great comments and suggestions. I have a appt with my eye doctor in a couple of weeks. I dropped by Lenscrafters this evening and checked out a few fem frames. Donna Karan and Prada have some really nice styles. I'll keep you posted.

MarinaTwelve200
10-29-2005, 09:04 AM
Whats the fuss about?---I have these RIMLESS glasses that work well with either Male or Fem Mode. I highly recommend them, besides, thely look Cool :)

I hold them below (in my brunette mode) Its not the best Glases pic---but then again I didnt take it for this thread. And I also Have a pair of fem frame Sun glasses, I got in a bargain bin for a couple bucks---Looks good in Blonde mode and saves me from bothering with eye makeup sometimes.

Natasha Anne
10-29-2005, 05:05 PM
I bought Oakley prescription glasses frames i.e. not sunglasses or sunglasses frames.

I picked from the feminine section and that's what I wear. People say nothing at all, and I doubt they know anyway. The styles these days are too close to tell.

Di
10-29-2005, 08:55 PM
Hi,,,I work as an optician and I would not bat an eye to your choice of frames,,,,ultra girly or unisex....and the rimless are total unisex,,,and very lite weight. I have women customers choose mens frames and vise versa.....not a problem.

Ibuki_Warpetal
10-29-2005, 09:57 PM
With lots of styles the only real difference between men's and women's is the size of the frames. You can also go to an online store like Lenscrafters (http://www.lenscrafters.com) to find a set of women's frames you like, then find a men's equivalent.

The Versace Featherwate is cute. Page 4-5 of the online catalog.
Go with that one.

I've got some Brooks Brothers frames I think are feminine looking even though I found them in the men's section.

I looked through all the sections and the only difference is some feminine frames jut out at the top sides.