PDA

View Full Version : MAC store today, in drab!

JessHaust
01-18-2012, 04:38 PM
So I decided that I needed (wanted?) better foundation. You may have seen my post on the beauty forum on 'how do I get this look?'
So everything I have read and been told says that MAC is a really good brand.
I look up their stores in my area and find a stand alone store at a local mall.

Today I go to the mall, find the store, and there are a lot of customers in there!
My inner Chicken rears it's ugly head and I move on. 'Oh look! is that a Starbucks?'

Several minutes and one tall látte later, I return. This time there are still customers but only a couple.

With my heart lodged firmly somewhere in the back of my throat, I enter the store.
A salesgirl asks 'Can I help you?', 'I need some foundation' I reply very softly.
'Sure, I can help; she replys, and takes me to the foundations, asks some questions and has me sit in the chair to test me for color. We talk, I reveal that I am a cross dresser, show het a picture on my phone. She is just great. Gives me tips, shows me how she uses a brush with liquid foundation, I just used my fingers before.
Another girl comes over and is very nice and complimentary. It's a great experience.

Bear in mind that I am dressed in my normal drab guys clothes, bald head shining in the store lights.

The more I am honest about the cross dressing thing, the more rewarded I get.

ArleneRaquel
01-18-2012, 04:41 PM
Jess,
What a great experience, thank you for sharing. :)

drag n fly
01-18-2012, 04:56 PM
Excellent, Jess...And did you get made up and walk around in drab, bald and pretty? Inquiring minds want to know....hehe smooches Jackie

Marleena
01-18-2012, 04:57 PM
Great story Jess! I posted about a similar trip to an Ulta store for foundation. I was a nervous wreck but glad I went through with it.:)

cracks_in_porcelain
01-18-2012, 05:19 PM
Why are you so scared to buy makeup? No one is going to judge you, they just want your money.

JessHaust
01-18-2012, 05:25 PM
Why are you so scared to buy makeup? No one is going to judge you, they just want your money.
true enough. Scary still, well it was, not anymore. I feel like I have a new friend on the 'inside'
Oh, and it was just foundation, so I was not so pretty in deab with a bald head!

Nicole Brown
01-18-2012, 05:32 PM
I have always found the SAs at MAC and ULTA to be very friendly and helpful. I know that the MAC SAs are literally trained to be helpful and courteous to girls like us. I have never personally visited either store in drab, rather I always visit as Nicole and have found that I am treated as any other woman.

Anne2345
01-18-2012, 05:54 PM
I have always had great experiences at MAC. MAC's credo within its mission statement is "All Races, All Sexes, All Ages.” That covers all of us. Happy makeup shopping! :)

kerrianne
01-18-2012, 06:54 PM
I love MAC cosmetics. I never had a bad experience with any stores or counters I have visited. The artists have been friendly, helpful, and truly complimentary. I always go en femme have sat right next to a gg getting her make up done while I was getting my done and have been complimented on my shoes or dress. MAC is the official sponsor for Rue Pauls drag race. Another great make up place I have visited is Inglot in Las Vegas. There too have had wonderful experiences. My avatar has the make up done at inglot in vegas the last time I was there.

Lisia
01-18-2012, 06:55 PM
Great story! Reading these gives me a tiny bit more confidence each time.

Lisia

rachaelsloane
01-18-2012, 08:11 PM
Jess,
Your story is very similar to my first visit. I have since been back many times and the SA knows what I have purchased and how best to add to my makeup collection, plus she always asks if I have any new pictures to show her.
You are now a member of the MAC addiction club, so make room in your cosmetic bag.
Rachael

Rikidee
01-18-2012, 08:45 PM
This past weekend I had the chance to be traveling and though I couldn't dress girly I still wanted to shop. I went to Belks to the Clinique counter and told the SA I wanted some foundation. Told her what shade I already had and she got some samples and let met try them on the back of my hand, decided the one I already had was best, and bought a fresh bottle. I also showed her some pictures, she was complimentary but not overly so. Then while riding around I found an Ulta store, I have read about them but never been to one. I went in and an SA asked if she could help, I told her I was looking for some shave minimizing lotion. She was new and didn't know where to look so she got another SA. She came over and we read on a couple of bottles and she said this does nothing but makes the hair less noticable. She said if you just want some good lotion I will show you what to buy. She said it was what she used and talked about how great it felt. I went with her and she let me try a sample and it made my skin feel velvety so I bought a tube. I also showed her and the other SA my picutures. The new girl said "how fun!!" The other said you should stay as a girl (doesn't say too much for my male presentation). Anyway it was a great experience. I asked about coming back for a make over and they said to come anytime. This store exudes estrogen, I was without a doubt the only guy in the place. I also have found that when you get away from people who know you most folks could care less and they really want your money. I get a thrill every time I do something like this. By the way the name of the lotion is Korres Body Butter. I also bought a skirt and blouse in another store, uneventful but fun just the same. Hugs Riki

Lucy Furr
01-18-2012, 08:56 PM
Apparently the MAC store in my area employs quite a few drag queens. I haven't been, but my GF is a burlesque performer and shops there a lot. She says that she prefers the boys that work there for make up tips because of their penchant for the dramatic. I really need to make it over there. I have literally no make up, I use hers.

donnatracey
01-18-2012, 10:06 PM
Way to go, Jess! I always love to hear about another happy MAC experience. On my list to do.....soon!

Anna Lorree
01-18-2012, 10:13 PM
I chickened out last September when I was in Sacramento, but I WILL do this in March.

Anna

whowhatwhen
01-18-2012, 10:14 PM
How much did that all cost you?
Actually, that goes to anyone who has bought at such stores.

I'm curious as to how much I need to save, scrounge, and "borrow" from starving orphans.

Megan72
01-18-2012, 10:22 PM
I know its not MAC but at the Clinique store at the Outlets in Castle Rock for those in Colorado or know the area , I noticed a very pretty woman working who I thought had to be transgendered. I still have yet to get the courage to go in and say hi.

rachaelsloane
01-19-2012, 08:54 PM
Jess,
Update on "MAC" addiction. I was walking by the MAC store and saw the SA that waits on me and there must be a MAC magnet that drew me in, 'cause I spent another $160 on assorted makeup and brushes.
Rachael

patti1569
01-19-2012, 09:43 PM
I luv this story Jess. I gives me courage. I would luv to go to a MAC store and get advise (and great makeup). I still have a very hard time buying things in person. Your story gives me hope! I wold LUV to show someone my pics on my phone. I'd luv to see someones reaction to it. Sounds like soooo much fun!

Debglam
01-19-2012, 10:18 PM
That is great Jess and very brave! I did the same thing way back when and I know how nervous you must have been! You'll find that most of our fears are in our head and that there are a lot of nice people out there that really don't care what you are buying or how you are dressed!

Now you need to start thinking about a full makeover there! :battingeyelashes:

Hugs,
Debby

JessHaust
01-20-2012, 12:09 AM
Patti, Anna, it really is like Debby says, all in our heads. I know its a sacry thing, but Wow, once you finally do it a cloud of fog is lifted and you realize you really can do theses things. And yes it was great fun, I had a smile on my face the rest of the day.

Now the brass tacks of the cost. I bought 2 bottles of liquid foundation, a foundation brush and a bottle of brush cleaner, total cost was $120 and change.
MAC is not cheap, maybe one of he most expensive, but really good quality. I have a varity of makeup and from what I have been told and also read, foundation is where you want to put your money. With eye shadow, liner, blush and lipstick you can get away with cheaper brands, but if the foundation is not righ, the whole look is bad.

One thing that I did learn was to use a brush. Whle I have been using a brush with my eyes, brows and conceler, I was using my fingers with the foundation.
I have an event tomorrow that includes a Diva Contest, if I get my makeup right, I'll post some pictures.

DanaR
01-20-2012, 01:54 AM
Hey Jess, they want you to come back. You could go in there crossdressed and it wouldn't be a problem. Thanks for sharing your experience.

carolinewalker_2000
01-20-2012, 04:00 AM
I too have have found MAC extremely helpful and non-judgemental. I was also in drab when I asked them for help with eyeliner. (I just can't seem to get the hang of the liquid stuff. Unless I have someone to apply it for me, it always ends up smeared all over the eyelid!) Anyway, the sales assistant was very helpful. She suggested a powder product and a brush applicator and showed me how to apply it. Bear in mind I was, like you, in full male mode and that other customers were coming and going during the whole time.

MAC staff are clearly very well trained to put any customer, regardless of gender, at their ease. Needless to say I purchased the product, which at the end of the day is all that the company is really concerned about. I would recommend MAC to any dresser who has questions about make-up but who is nervous about who to ask.

caryn m
01-20-2012, 07:04 AM
in the past week ive been to ulta to get matched for foundation and to the mac counter in macys. the experience at mac was far superior to ulta. the person that helped me at ulta had no clue how to cover a beard and the color looked terrible when i got home. the mac experience was great very helpful and explained everything. really enjoyed the experience if in doubt go for mac!!!!

suchacutie
01-20-2012, 07:24 AM
The only way to get color matched is ... well ... to do it. For me it was MAC in the Saks store in New Orleans. Just walked in one morning and said I needed some concealer, foundation, and powder matched to my skintone. The SA was terrific and mentioned how impressed she was that I did this without my wife along for support! It felt just wonderful to walk out of the store with a small bag clearly labeled MAC :)

There was absolutely no problem and no issue! I recommend it to everyone!

tina