PDA

View Full Version : The art of LURKING

Frédérique
01-18-2012, 06:57 PM
Some miscellaneous musings while Wikipedia is down... :sad:

To post or NOT to post – that is the question, but is lurking nobler in the mind? Lately I’m getting that “UGH!” feeling I used to have when I spent three years lurking, otherwise known as my time in the wilderness. I would approach the site, look in, read a few things, and leave abruptly, only to come back for a little more lurking, then leave again, rinse and repeat. I looked in last night, if only to gather momentum for some long-overdue writing, but I was not inspired to do so. I woke up today with a mission – is there something worth writing about, perhaps something new in regards to transgender, or crossdressing, or the need to step outside oneself? Other than the usual topics, I mean. I have an idea, and a dream (thanks, Martin), but, for now, I wish to discuss what the outsider, i.e. LURKER, sees. Quite frankly, I’m surprised I’m writing this, but please bear with me – Freddy is a friend to all crossdressers...

I see there is (or was) another discussion about that curious line between heterosexuality and homosexuality, the boundary that MtF crossdressers “skirt” consciously or unconsciously. You know, there are things called “latent homosexual tendencies,” and I’m surprised that this somewhat profound state of being is not discussed more in depth around here. The more knowledge I gain, the less I seem to know, but I think there’s something VERY mysterious about gender. You wear the clothes of the “other” side, and suddenly you may feel uneasy about where you are, why you are, or who you may or may not be. I found out through crossdressing that I have latent homosexual tendencies, according to those who make distinctions, but I see it as “beautiful,” which happens to be another one of those misunderstood concepts that purveyors of normalcy are unaware of. It’s too late for me, but IT, meaning homosexuality, is there (of course), like an incessant heartbeat that keeps me awake at night...

Carrying on from that train of thought, I see that a thread about the possibility of a MtF crossdresser having a relationship with a straight male (with romantic feelings) was closed. Speaking (or writing) from the standpoint of an effeminate male, dressed to express that fact and affecting feminine airs, I can honestly say that I would not entertain such a relationship. I have not met a male worthy of my time, in a romantic sense, but let’s backtrack a little – once upon a time, if a male had come into my life who was imbued with the characteristics I cherish, I would have had feelings for the person. However, he never appeared, or we never crossed paths, so my own crossdressing attempts to fill in this void in a less-than-efficient manner. In a way, I became the man I wanted to meet, and he happens to be effeminate. It gets confusing, but I can’t imagine being a partner, romantic or otherwise, to a male personage who characterizes all I wish to avoid. Now, if another CD’er or sensitive male homes into view, one who is tuned in to the same wavelength as I, we could indeed have a relationship, albeit abnormal in the truest sense – of course, neither one of us could be termed “male” or “straight,” if you wish to split hairs...

There was another thread about what others will find when you die, or have passed on to join with the rest of the dark matter in the Universe, or have pulled back the curtain to join the choir invisible. I find this idea to be highly amusing, not to mention poetic, and I’m going to do nothing about what is in my closet – let THEM figure it out! Anyone bold enough to enter my dark sanctuary of hidden desires will find a lot of skirts and dresses, blouses, shoes, aprons, robes, more shoes, sweaters, kilts, cute little hats, and still more shoes. There is very little left of my family these days, but there are a few young’uns who I KNOW have no conception of what a crossdresser is, beyond the usual, or casual, awareness of perversion, as prescribed by society, peers, and prejudice. Funny! Gee - maybe our uncle collected costumes for his artist’s models, you know, for reference. Think again! Oh, it’s just too delicious to contemplate...

In a dresser, not too far from the closet, you can find all manner of interesting underwear and hosiery, including breast forms – I think that last item will make everything quite clear, don’t you? Meanwhile, I have many volumes of my diaries, replete with descriptions (in detail) of my CD adventures, even though they are illegible to everyone but me. However, on my laptop, in external hard drives, burned CD-R’s and printed transcripts you can find the ultimate proof that I am (or was) a crossdresser. Remember - I was Freddy, but I’m dead now. I expect my loved ones to look away in disgust, or destroy the evidence, even though disclosure wouldn’t change anything. On a bookshelf, over the dresser, I keep more evidence of more hidden desires, attached to blessed crossdressing in a peripheral sense – I’m sure someone will skim the contents and come away with the sweeping yet superficial assessment that I was gay. Good! Maybe, just maybe, someone down the road will think I lived an extremely varied and interesting life, which leads us to the next, and hopefully penultimate, paragraph...

I see, in a type of post that recurs more often than not, that someone (a SO) found out about their partner’s crossdressing, and there will be hell to pay, as my father would say. Can anyone help the maligned individual understand? I would think about replying “You really need to get OUT more,” or look into the complex nature of human existence more deeply, i.e. look inwardly, if you TRULY wish to understand why a male would wish to wear female clothing. Existence is the key word here, and life is not only a zero-sum game, it’s also a finite period to use as one chooses. One dresses because one can, and I am living proof of that. Emotions fuel the need to dress, something I’m sure any emotive human being can understand. For some, there is a need, or a feeling, to be apart from others, while being together in an incorporative sense – a need to get in touch with touch itself, and openly worship those sensibilities that were hitherto ignored or dismissed...

For some, there is a conscious desire to go against the grain, or swim against the tide, or not do as others do (or say), and this manifests itself quite nicely in crossdressing, an expression of gender-blurring, love, and compassion for the “self.” If I dress, and I do, I MUST do it, just like some males must be males, and some females must be females, if only to make sense of their own existence. Apart from all that, it’s not a big deal, but in some instances we must hide what we love, if only to protect it from those who cannot or will not understand – imagine wanting to do something that nearly everyone tells you is wrong, for whatever reason, and you may begin to understand why someone (such as a friend, a family member, a partner, or a SO) would wish to keep it hidden, and safe from those who would trod on a dream...

I must say lurking is fun*, but writing is also fun! How many LURKERS are out there, or, more specifically, do you lurk more than you participate, or vice versa?

*You didn’t know I was looking in, did you? :heehee:

Debb
01-18-2012, 07:24 PM
I am not nearly as perspicacious as you, Freddy ... so I find myself being an almost-ever-present lurker. :-D

I am rather selective in my reading, but I almost always read your posts! Welcome back from lurkhood.

Kaz
01-18-2012, 07:25 PM
Hi Freddie,

I tend to dive in rather than lurk, but lurking has its advantages as you will have seen the patterns that are developing...

Alice Torn
01-18-2012, 07:41 PM
Thanks for the deep thread, again! I also, go back and forth, from being a sharer on here a lot, to being a silent lurker. I was just thinking about the very subject, minutes ago, then saw your thread! I don't mind being a half time lurker, but hope i hope not a TROLL!!

Danni Renee
01-18-2012, 08:00 PM
I think I am more of a lurker now than I was before. When I first found this forum I jumped in with both feet. Although I lok a the forum everyday, I do not participate as much as I want. The lack of participation has less to do with my dressing and self identification and more of a reflection on how other aspects of my life are more prominant right now (though I wish I could dvote more time here).

Danni

GBJoker
01-18-2012, 10:20 PM
Apparently, I am the ultimate lurker. Not only able to see whatever is posted, but able to respond without being noticed. I've achieved the early 2000's 4Chan'ers dream. I AM Anonymous. And Batman. Figure that one out.

Also... Did you just write an essay just to respond to all the threads you missed? After reading some of your more recent posts, I'm having a hard time understanding why you are so revered on this site, OP.

KellyJameson
01-18-2012, 11:20 PM
There are those who build worlds in their minds and than those who never discover, develope or use this ability because of the many wonderful distractions this world offers and crossdressing lives between these two opposite poles. For some it is sexual and others spiritual, entertainment for one and survival for another. Some use it to run away from themselves and others to discover themselves. It brings Clarity and Confusion. Shame for one, pride for another. It destroys and creates.

This is what I have learned by lurking, I have learned everything and nothing. I am back to the place where I started but yet I am different. For me the experience has been profound but yet I find myself asking, Now what? Perhaps this is a place where you drink in the waters of wisdom and move on looking for answers to questions that stay just out of reach. Perhaps the first question is "are answers necessary"

Sammy777
01-19-2012, 03:26 AM
Some miscellaneous musings while Wikipedia is down... :sad:

Yes it's true that Wiki has shut down for a day.
But that does not mean you have to go without it. :D

Here is a Wiki loophole:
Go to Google and type in whatever it is you want to see on wiki followed by the word wiki. Ex: "potatoes wiki"

The first link will be the wiki site link, well duh.
Go to the right of the link hover over the sidebar arrow, then you will see the link again, but this time there will be a "Cached" link under it.

Just click on the Cached link and there you are :)

Wiki site page for potatoes: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potato

Google's cached wiki potato page: google's cached wiki page (http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:9WQdCqStCsgJ:en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potato+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us)

enjoy! :D

Ineke Vashon
01-19-2012, 04:40 AM
[QUOTE=
I must say lurking is fun*, but writing is also fun! How many LURKERS are out there, or, more specifically, do you lurk more than you participate, or vice versa?

[/QUOTE]

For the past six months or so: Lurking 100% - participate 0%
Since I joined, three posts, so: Lurking 97% - participate 3%

It'll take awhile, but I hope to slowly delurk. :devil:

Ineke

Kathi Lake
01-19-2012, 11:09 AM
. . . do you lurk more than you participate, or vice versa?It goes in cycles. Sometimes, I feel that I have something to offer in a post. Sometimes not. Sometimes I post multiple times per day. Sometimes I go for days without. I do read, or at least glance through, many of the posts here, so I guess I'm a part-time lurker.

After reading some of your more recent posts, I'm having a hard time understanding why you are so revered on this siteMaybe because she is a genuinely nice and honest person - one that doesn't casually toss insults in such a dickish manner - and her posts cause us to actually think.

Kathi

Meg East
01-19-2012, 11:15 AM
Lurking?
Yup but sometimes I read and don't have anything to contribute which has value.

moondog
01-19-2012, 11:44 AM
As an observer of human bahavior, perhaps publicly lurking as I do not interact with anybody, I have learned much about the human condition. Which I think may be the lure of lurking on a forum, you can read what people post without having to interact or otherwise engage them. Also you have no need to act like you're not watching them as you must do in a public setting. I, however, joined this site to participate because something is happening to me that is beyond my ability to comprehend, control, or accept. That is why I have posted, in some instances I aught to have refrained, asked questions, and shared the truth that is my being with complete strangers. If I fail to particiapte, at least for the near future, my emotional state will suffer greatly.

There is, in my opinion, no art to lurking. One has only to avoid posting anything.

I don't care that you were looking. I only care if you had something constructive to add to the conversation and did not for your own selfish reasons.

That last sentance sounds mean and is not meant to cause offense.

Kathi Lake
01-19-2012, 12:34 PM
. . . I only care if you had something constructive to add to the conversation and did not for your own selfish reasons. That last sentance sounds mean and is not meant to cause offense.It doesn't sound mean. I often wonder if the lurkers feel that their opinions don't have value, and therefore they don't post. That is sad, to me. I'm here for a two-way transaction; to get support, and - if possible - to give support.

Kathi

Marleena
01-19-2012, 12:58 PM
Another well thought out post Freddie!:)

I'm quite the opposite since I have had/have boards of my own. I jump in with both feet never shy to post, my post count will attest to that. If people don't post, it gets boring.

I recently find myself avoiding some threads that I know are going to go bad with, or without my participation. They follow the same pattern each time. That said I like people to feel good about themselves so that is my goal in being here. Being TG is no picnic, and having an SO involved in your life just complicates things more. I wish more SO's would trust their own spouse instead of worrying what gets posted here. Many are fantasy type threads that raise eyebrows. When in doubt think about the thread, and whether it's fantasy or not. Being an SO to CD is tough enough without worrying about things that are posted here. The CD partner trusted the SO with a very private thing, only loving somebody and trusting them fully will bring that secret (dressing) out. When in doubt ask your own CD partner, they know where they're at. Being CD or TG does not lead to being TS or SRS or turning gay in the majority of cases. You can't "cure" us or make us stop, it is what it is.

Oops, I might have gone off topic a bit. These are just my own opinions as usual.

kimdl93
01-19-2012, 01:19 PM
You obviously enjoy writing a great deal more than I do, which is a good thing! I lurk very little and participate regularly, because I just can't seem to resist throwing in my 2 cents worth on most topics.

RebeccaLynne
01-19-2012, 04:06 PM
How many LURKERS are out there, or, more specifically, do you lurk more than you participate, or vice versa?

Frederique, I really enjoy reading your eloquent posts. You're a very gifted and spellbinding writer, and I certainly appreciate your efforts in putting your thoughts into words. Whenever I've noticed you've initiated a new thread, I relish the opportunity to see what's on your mind.

I guess I define participation as logging onto this website, reading about the experiences of others, and gaining insight therefrom. Unless I've something compelling or greatly enlightening to contribute, I tend to refrain from doing so. Please don't interpret this decision as uncaring or insensitive; rather, I'm here to learn and further my understanding of all things transgendered.

When I speak (or, in this case, write), I communicate that which I already have knowledge of; when I listen (or, in this case, read), I have afforded myself the opportunity to expand my understanding of the subject matter being discussed.

As to "lurking", my Webster's New World dictionary defines " lurk" as "1. to stay hidden, ready to spring out, attack, etc.; lie in wait "; Additionally, "SYN,-lurk implies a waiting in concealment or in the background, esp. with sinister or menacing intentions".

Please don't interpret this response as confrontational or agumentative, as that isn't my intention; I seek only to diffuse any perceived affronts that the connotation "lurking' may elicit to those whose reading of posts might far outnumber their responses to the posts they've read.:love:

Marleena
01-19-2012, 05:11 PM
I find your posts interesting Freddy but could you put in a car chase or murder now and then. Thank you :)

Lol..I like this answer after posting my long winded one..:)

drushin703
01-19-2012, 07:21 PM
Fredderique:

A nicely written post as usual.And thanks for a better definition , lurking, of one of my favorite pastimes.Although to lurk seems to me to imply some
hidden-agenda.But perhaps to crossdress is the ultimate hidden-agenda.

I am a full-blown crossdresser.I never underdress, at least not now.No half ass, non wig, sans makeup stuff for Dana.I go full boar all the time, from
my arched eyebrows to my painted toenails. From the tip of my open toed pumps to the lay of my wig I am sissy, tranny, crossdresser personified.
But I have tried, the good Lord knows that I have tried and I have found, in me, no latent homosexual tendencies.NONE. When I go out, others
around me easily make the implication but I just dont feel it (homosexual).This past saturday I passed a man in the bar I frequent and touched his
hand in passing.He grabbed my arm Like Bogart would grab Betty Bacall and pulled me closer to his body my face almost touching his lips (yikes)
and my whole body became rigid.Rigidity, I think is a very heterosexual reflex action of defense.For the rest of the night his cologne was on my
fushia dress.The heartbeat that you speak of did not keep me awake that night......Tell me F., what can this mean?...dana

Frédérique
01-19-2012, 08:11 PM
Also... Did you just write an essay just to respond to all the threads you missed? After reading some of your more recent posts, I'm having a hard time understanding why you are so revered on this site, OP.

I suppose I did write a lengthy post to address several posts I “missed,” but, since I was lurking at the time, they did not escape my attention. What it all boils down to is whether or not one feels he or she can post a meaningful reply, or perhaps it isn’t even worth the effort, but a lot of it is based on how one feels at the time. If I’m lurking, it means I feel disengaged, physically and mentally, and I may have sought out that condition for one reason or another. Usually, it only takes a brief look at the site to find something that begs for a response, and once I start writing I keep writing (much to everyone’s bitter chagrin, I’m sure). Lately I’ve been stuck in non-response mode, and that is something I’m trying to break out of – the winter doldrums, perhaps…

You can safely ignore my “essays” if they do not please you. As for being “revered,” that is news to me – I struggle for sunlight just like all the other sentient beings in this alternative gathering, and I feel like I’m safely ensconced among my peers, no more, no less. Ignorance is truly bliss, my friend, so I wish you well as you try to “understand” what’s going on…

There is, in my opinion, no art to lurking. One has only to avoid posting anything. I don't care that you were looking. I only care if you had something constructive to add to the conversation and did not for your own selfish reasons.

Everything has an art to it, if you want to see it that way, or if you want to live that way. In this instance, I feel I’m doing everyone a favor by NOT posting, but, after a while I write something purely for enjoyment and whittle it into a post – I don’t think lurking is discussed very much around here, so I just reported on my miscellaneous lurkings. It’s odd to be on the site unseen, when you can just as easily be an active, noticeable participant who posts on the fly. Of course I’m selfish, in fact I’m an extremely accomplished solipsist – you might want to look that one up…

I find your posts interesting Freddy but could you put in a car chase or murder now and then.

The past few weeks I’ve been writing a rather lengthy science fiction story, with transgendered elements, which may or may not ever see the light of day. Alas, no car chases or murders…
:doh:

GBJoker
01-19-2012, 08:21 PM
I suppose I did write a lengthy post to address several posts I “missed,” but, since I was lurking at the time, they did not escape my attention. What it all boils down to is whether or not one feels he or she can post a meaningful reply, or perhaps it isn’t even worth the effort, but a lot of it is based on how one feels at the time. If I’m lurking, it means I feel disengaged, physically and mentally, and I may have sought out that condition for one reason or another. Usually, it only takes a brief look at the site to find something that begs for a response, and once I start writing I keep writing (much to everyone’s bitter chagrin, I’m sure). Lately I’ve been stuck in non-response mode, and that is something I’m trying to break out of – the winter doldrums, perhaps…

You can safely ignore my “essays” if they do not please you. As for being “revered,” that is news to me – I struggle for sunlight just like all the other sentient beings in this alternative gathering, and I feel like I’m safely ensconced among my peers, no more, no less. Ignorance is truly bliss, my friend, so I wish you well as you try to “understand” what’s going on…

First para: Ah, I see. I tend to lurk when it seems that I am not welcome some where. Happened a lot when I was on the D2 forums, and eventually on the FF forums... I will admit, I did it for about a month or so here because of reasons that Kathi Lake is tapping into.

Second para: Now it becomes clear that I'm definitely missing something here...

Momarie
01-19-2012, 09:37 PM
An ounce of pretension is worth a pound of manure.

Precious, prolific, pendulous, pseudo psychological, pretty prose not withstanding.

moondog
01-22-2012, 09:29 AM
Freddie,

I exist, but perhaps you do not ;-)

docrobbysherry
01-22-2012, 01:27 PM
R the attention span challenged members!:sad:
U KNOW who I'm talking about! The ones who can't manage to read ANY post longer than 3 paragraphs long!? Ooops! I resemble THAT!:o

An ounce of pretension is worth a pound of manure.
Precious, prolific, pendulous, pseudo psychological, pretty prose not withstanding.

Thanks, Momarie, for proving that one CAN say things intelligently, succinctly, and still MAKE YOUR POINT!:thumbsup:

Alyla
01-31-2012, 08:11 PM
Lurking--Moi? I must confess, I lurk, but I prefer to think of it as reading, and trying to understand myself, through the thoughts and/or writings of others. I am an anthropologist by schooling, no, no one here is being studied except perhaps myself by introspection of my own feelings and emotings, many times to myself and to my partner, and at other times I write something particular to me and some of the things I have experienced. As per the definition posted earlier, I do not like the concept of being in the shadows, twisting my hands evily together, ready to pounce, not a pouncer - me.

In accordance with the structures of our society, I am a tweener, I exist somewhere outside our binary oriented society. I, like Frederique, consider myself a writer, though in my humble opinion not so eloquent as she. Essays are not my fortay, as my mind wonders from point to point, and very infrequently constructs a logical flow of ideas.
When my writing is on it is ususally best in a poetic format. I was the sole 'male' member of the poetry club. My poems were published locally when I was in the sixth grade. But perhaps this is enough about me, and I should talk about Fredrique's post and how it relates to me. OOps didn't want to go there again. Bear with me, pretty please.

As I said before, I consume this place, voraciously reading posts whose titles connect to some common essence I feel that is imbued within me. I enjoy reading about others on the FtM side of this binary division, I enjoy the talk of what it is to be TG vs TS, how people become comfortable and decide transition is necessary, and the other decisions and conclusions people make. It is an interesting world we live in, and I am curious George.

Digression coming up, two spirited people were considered Shamans in many "primitive cultures" (perhaps connectivity between halves of the brains). They were thought, within their tribes, to have special qualities and interpretations of the world they lived in, as if they were touched by a special spirit, perhaps this is wishful thinking on my part, but please do not misinterpret what I am saying. I really have no such gift.

As for the dichotomy of hetero vs. homo sexuality I can only say I have never been in a same sex relationship, or been attracted to any genetically identifiable male for what ever reason, although like Fredrique mentioned if ever any MALE were ever to provoke me in away that felt right, it is not to say I couldn't be fluid, but I am in a 33 year old committed relationship that demands my complete attention, and I treasure that, so I have never been tempted or treated in away that would allow me to stray and give away my commitment to my partner.

As for what am I going to do with my stuff when I die, probably nothing. That will be left to others, revelation or discretion is up to the executor. Many will say I knew he was peculiar, as I have already confirmed to others who know me with my standard repose too many, "I must confess to you, I stand by the statement, I wasn't made right." And so my life goes, balanced on a long grey line, stretched between the twin towers of my past and future. I am balanced delicately, on the tight rope holding tightly to the pronouns he and she, that dangle on the ends of a pole, as I walk through the presence of my now, daring myself to defy gravity.

Sincerly offered,
Alyla

Oh and if there is reverence, it is because of the obvious writing skills, understanding, thoughtfulness, and kindness, of the personna that has named themselves Fredrique.

[FONT="Book Antiqua"]