PDA

View Full Version : Prince Valiant and Aleta

Ineke Vashon
01-19-2012, 04:28 PM
As a young boy one of my favorite comic strips was Prince Valiant, and his consort Aleta. *One day the strip showed a beautiful tropical underwater scene. Brightly colored fishes, other marine animals, vivid coral, and plants waving in the current. The scene showed beautiful Aleta, her long hair streaming, swimming gracefully in the water. Fishes and other marine animals, the strip added, smiled and watched her with pleasure and swam around her without fear.
The next picture was partially devoid of color, and the strip said: “Suddenly, a shadow darkened the water as Prince Valiant swam into view, vigorously pushing the water aside with powerful strokes. All the marine animals now fled and hid in fear”. This scene has stayed with me and impressed upon me that, even in a comic strip, even that long ago, the female was shown as embracing the environment and was welcomed in it, whereas the male was to be feared and avoided. This scene made such a strong impression on me that I can still visualize the strip almost seventy years later. And perhaps it has governed my outlook on life as well.

Early conditioning? For many reasons I’ve often disliked being part of the male gender. Makes me wonder if my attempt to approach the feminine is an excuse to distance myself from the stereotyped, macho, all-American male who measures everything in terms of football field length, which seems incompatible with a gentler, softer, dress wearing man. Perhaps they fear it. Perhaps I fear it. Perhaps I make too much out of it.

I don’t like beer anyway. Wine, yes :ms:

Ineke

Laura912
01-19-2012, 05:45 PM
Ineke,
Perhaps you are normal....here. Just don't let any one make you swim with the fishes! ;)
Laura

TGMarla
01-19-2012, 09:06 PM
I always read Prince Valiant, too. I liked it, too. I don't remember the scene you described. But it's a point well-taken. Go figure.

But then, guys are the proverbial "bull in a china shoppe". I don't blame the fish for scramming.

donnalee
01-19-2012, 10:19 PM
Remember Prince Valiant well, part of my Sunday morning ritual when I was a kid (waffles or pancakes, with the 2 large sections of comics spread out on the kitchen table). Although it's shrunk to 4 pages, still my major incentive to buy a Sunday paper.
Ineke,
Perhaps you are normal....here. Just don't let any one make you swim with the fishes! ;)
LauraNot to be picky, but isn't it "sleep with the fishes" ?

Ellyn
01-19-2012, 11:45 PM
A Prince galavanting into the woods and diving into the water, then swimming vigorously----while wearing tights. No wonder the marine animals fled in fear. That would be a pretty frightening sight to a bunch of innocent fish. It is not every day a drag Prince violently invades their lagoon. Lots of progress since then?

angpai30
01-20-2012, 08:32 AM
I have never read this comic strip, but I love the comment about the drag prince.

BillieJoEllen
01-20-2012, 02:06 PM
FYI Ellyn, Prince Valiant doesn't wear tights. He does however wear a pageboy and a knee length tunic. He was a childhood hero. If I ever had a real masculine role model I believe it was him. I liked cowboy and indians when I was a kid and was given a Hoppalong Cassidy outfit for Christmas. Although I wore it a lot to play in I much preferred a Prince Valiant outfit that many of the major catalog stores sold at that time. My father wouldn't allow it because it looked like something only a girl would wear. Thats what I really wanted. Boy or girls outfit didn't faze me one bit, I just wanted to be like my hero....