PDA

View Full Version : Number 2

AmandaJ
01-20-2012, 12:59 AM
Just over a year ago is when I told my girlfriend and she was the first person I ever shared my CDing with. Ive kept it a secret for most of my life. Today, I told someone else. Not a family member or even a close friend. Today marked another milestone in my life in year full of extremes. I told a therapist. Well actually, a student.

You see, I just started a program seeking help for depression, as I have dealt with it for most of my life also. I surprised myself when I actually brought it up and siad the words after only a little hesitation. I bet they didn't see that one coming.

I guess the point of this thread was that it feels great to be able to share something that I kept bottled up for so long. But at the same time I still want to keep it private. For me, CDing is sexually gratifying, and it affects only me and my partner. Why is it that I feel the urge to share it with people who cannot relate, may not understand, or doesn't affect? Telling a therapist made sense , but im worried they may suggest something that would flip my life upside down.

JessHaust
01-20-2012, 01:09 AM
My wife has known for 32 years, it's been great to have the connection with her.

5150 Girl
01-20-2012, 01:11 AM
Outstanding! And the more you share, the easyer it will get.

DanaR
01-20-2012, 01:14 AM
It's good to share, but sometimes you have to be careful who you share with.

paulaprimo
01-20-2012, 03:02 AM
thank you for sharing that with us amanda. i for one have kept things bottled up inside of me also with no place to vent, until i joined this forum. everyone here is so supportive!! everytime i read a story like this, and i've read many this past week, it gives me more strength to be who i want to be.

Foxglove
01-20-2012, 05:35 AM
Hi, Amanda! I know in my own case I'd love to share my little secret with everybody because it would take so much pressure off me. When you have a secret, you have to be careful not to let it slip. E.g., I'm a member of several forums, and I often tell my son about things that are going on on them. But I have to be very careful not to say anything about this one.

It introduces something of a divide in your mind, and it can be a nuisance. Once your secret is out, you no longer have that problem. Unfortunately, revealing your secret might cause you other sorts of problems. The result for me is that it's still my secret alone. I've often wondered if things would be worse for me if everybody knew. I think in ways it would be a blessed relief for me.

Best wishes, Annabelle

kimdl93
01-20-2012, 09:12 AM
My guess is that we want to tell others because of the possibility of receiving affirmation. Of course, there's no guarantee that will be the reaction, but most of the time, in my experience, people are pretty tolerant and often quite accepting.