PDA

View Full Version : The Daily Beast Ranks "Most Tolerant Cities"

Fractured
01-20-2012, 09:28 AM
As part of the MLK Day proceedings, The Daily Beast ranked the US's most tolerant cities (http://www.thedailybeast.com/galleries/2012/01/16/the-u-s-s-most-tolerant-cities-photos.html):

1. Durham, NC
2. Honolulu, HI
3. San Francisco, CA
4. Miami, FL
5. Baltimore, MD

A total of 20 cities are ranked. Part of the rankings is number of reported hate crimes per population unit. It doesn't discriminate between the target of the hate crimes, so not sure exactly what is "tolerated" by the city. Kind of interesting, though.

Edit: Switched ranking for #1 and #2. Sorry for the mistake.

Katesback
01-20-2012, 09:36 AM
Tolerant of what? Deviant behavior? Why the hell does a woman have to look for a tolerant place to live? I choose to live wherever the hell I want and to be honest with you I dont want to be living amongst a bunch of deviant people. You can have Miami and the rest of those places.

Tammy V
01-20-2012, 11:20 AM
Excuse me but you have 1 and 2 in the wrong order. Durham, NC is first and then Honolulu. And also Raleigh, NC comes in at 18th and is in the same metrolpolitain area as Durham. So the Triangle area of NC seems to be a pretty tolerant place. Tolerance erodes when you get into the rural areas surrounding them, but those cities are nice.

MarinaKirax
01-20-2012, 11:23 AM
Baltimore?? Tolerant, or just too busy with other crime to practise hate crimes? :)

ArleneRaquel
01-20-2012, 11:26 AM
The Chicagoland area is pretty good. Now if my next door neighbors would just be a little tolerant.

Julia_in_Pa
01-20-2012, 12:34 PM
A Baltimore suburb was where a TS woman was beaten at Mc Donalds last year.

Having been to Baltimore many many times due to where I live I will honestly say that if your anywhere within a few miles of Baltimore proper and your a trans woman that doesn't pass then welcome to hell.

Being born in Miami and have lived in that area the amount of subhuman garbage that reside within it's borders is astounding to say the least.
The city has been in need of militarization of police forces in order to keep control of organized gang activity for years now.
If you have never been there you have no idea how true my statements are about my city of birth. :O(

As for the others I cannot offer an opinion.

Julia

Jorja
01-20-2012, 04:40 PM
I am glad to see my birth city on the list at number 2. Honolulu has been at the top of the list as long as I can remember.

LeaP
01-20-2012, 05:30 PM
Baltimore?? Tolerant, or just too busy with other crime to practise hate crimes? :)

You beat me to it (no pun intended). Dangerous place.

Lea

Melody Moore
01-20-2012, 07:20 PM
I would not want to live in the most 'tolerant' city - I want to live in the most respecting
& accepting city. I don't want people to tolerate me, I want people to respect & accept me.

So I think the five most respecting/accepting, or the most
trans friendly place or accepting cities to live in the world are:

Bangkok, Thailand,
Cairns, Queensland
Brisbane, Queensland
Sydney, New South Wales
Melbourne, Victoria

The reason why Cairns leads the way here in Australia is because it is a multi-culturally
diverse community that is one of the most accepting places in Australia with regards
to diversity in the local community. It has the highest Gay, Lesbian & Trans population
per capita of all towns and cities in Australia. And is even more friendly than Sydney
where the biggest gay & lesbian Mardi Gra in the world is held each year. I also say Cairns
is the most accepting place because even the local government here fully supports the
LGBT community, and many businesses are LGBT owned and operated. Community members
report less violence & abuse here in Cairns. Although every now & again you will get some
transphobic or homophobic arsehole causing issues, locals here seem very quick to denounce
that type of abuse towards members of the LGBT community.

The last time I witnessed any homophobe abuse or assault any GLBT members of our
community, he was taken out by a 'trans' woman, me! (all captured on CCTV by the way)
and then was subsequently arrested and charged by police for two counts of assault. :)

So I would like to know on what basis did they draw the conclusions that these other
places were the most "tolerant" places to live. Damn I hate even using that word now.

Eryn
01-20-2012, 07:34 PM
You beat me to it (no pun intended). Dangerous place.

Lea

It might be that they just don't bother to record hate crimes as such. That would seem to be a good way of sweeping a problem under the rug!

Melody Moore
01-20-2012, 07:51 PM
It might be that they just don't bother to record hate crimes as such. That would seem to be a good way of sweeping a problem under the rug!

Bingo!

No one bothers to record these "hate crimes", that is of course the victim doesn't get arrested
themselves. They record these crimes just as regular crimes which just disappears into the mix.

Traci Elizabeth
01-20-2012, 09:14 PM
Sorry but this thread is putting me to zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.... :sleep::sleep::sleep::sleep:

KaTanya
01-25-2012, 08:17 AM
Baltimore is barely tolerant of those who defend themselves against assault, how they make any top 5 list outside of murder rate is beyond me. I've spent enough time in their jails (which are marginally safer) to just avoid the place like the plague. And it's not like I hit the "bad" parts of town- mostly the Inner Harbor and stadium areas.

Don't know who or what Daily Beast is, but they clearly did not do the research.