PDA

View Full Version : I lost a little piece of me today

Danni Renee
01-21-2012, 03:06 PM
It has been a little over a year since I came out to my first person and finally accepted that I was different and that it was okay. It was a new time for me and after some research and careful thought I decided I would pierce my belly button as a promise to myself that I would never again go all the way back in the closet. It was also a promise that I would have a different life once I retired from the military (males cannot have piercings in the military and although I should not have pierced my navel, what people cannot see they do not know about).

I pierced it myself and took such pride in taking care of the hole to make sure it did not get infected. I bought beautiful rings – it was the one piece of truly feminine jewelry I could shop for and know I could actually wear out so a new belly ring was always so special. My rings brought me great inner peace. No matter where I was or what I was doing I could always touch my belly and it would bring me a little joy knowing my other half was there too.

I looked down today and saw my ring barely hanging. I took it out and looked close and there was no denying my body was finally pushing the ring out. The hole had healed to the point that only a paper thin piece of skin was holding the ring in. One little tug would have completely pulled it out so I decided to keep the ring out for good.

I knew that the hole might push the ring out eventually – I read of that happening here on the Forum and new it was a possibility. I checked the piercing regularly to make sure it was still okay and I had a feeling the hole was pushing the ring out. Two weeks ago I thought it was fine and that maybe it had reached the point where it would stop growing out but I guess I was wrong.

So much of the new me was invested in my belly ring. It was the one thing I even showed my kids because it was so special. And now it is gone. I feel like I have lost a little piece of my heart today and I am so sad.

Danni

Anna Lorree
01-21-2012, 03:14 PM
That was the symbol of the new you at the time, but since then I bet you have changed and grown. I would suggest a new symbol. Perhaps a femme tattoo in a place where it will only be seen if you allow it, or some piece of jewelry that is less likely seen (toe ring perhaps) that can symbolize you as you move from your own acceptance to embracing who you are now becoming. Don't mourn this, move forward to something even more exciting. JMHO

Anna

kimdl93
01-21-2012, 03:53 PM
Danni, I know it was symbolic for you, and for losing that symbolism, I'm sorry. Still, the important thing is not the ring, but what it symbolized, and that hasn't changed!

Michaella
01-21-2012, 04:14 PM
I felt very much the same when my nipple piercings migrated and I had to remove the rings. I hope to get them done again, but the are circumstances that prevent it for now . . .

Michaella

debbeelee1
01-21-2012, 05:02 PM
Wow, I can relate to that Danni! My naval piercing has been in 3-1/2 months now and it's just starting to heal. Hope you can get it redone sometime!:love:

Annie D
01-21-2012, 05:17 PM
Don't give up! I too, lost my first try with my belly button pierced, then waited about 6-8 months (it was so long ago, I forget) but then had it re-done. Both times by a tattoo/body piercer and lo and behold the second one took. I had it for over 18 months and unfortunately lost it while taking a motorcycle trip from Dallas to Phoenix. The top of my jeans rubbed the ring out. I have since gone back to try and get another but because I now have a under the skin "bubble" where the piercing would be I can no longer have a traditional one. My advice to all: if you get your belly button pierced don't go on a long motorcycle trip. The 2 or 3 days of riding wearing jeans rubs the jewelry out. Good luck and don't give up your desire for body jewelry.

Annie D
01-21-2012, 05:21 PM
Oh by the way girls; because I couldn't another piercing I got a small butterfly tattoo just below my belly button. Make sure that you get something colorful that makes you feel good!

prettytoes
01-21-2012, 06:43 PM
You are still the wonderful person you have always been, with or without the belly ring. Like Anna said, maybe a toe ring? I wear them often...all I have to do is wiggle my toes a bit and I know it's there. Like your naval ring, it makes me feel special and reminds me of the girl I keep hidden inside!

Andy66
01-21-2012, 07:04 PM
Sounds like the belly button ring was a way to help you focus on what is already inside you. You didn't lose your femme side; just your focus. Remember the Wizard of Oz: he didn't give anybody anything that they didn't already have. :hugs:

Jennifer Cross
01-21-2012, 07:39 PM
Danni, i'd love to hear about the retirement process. The institutional knowledge is gone because people LEAVE with it lol. I have about a year and a half left before i can retire. love to link up and pick yer brain concerning our jobs and retirement process/post.

Please PM me so we can link up and talk about how yer retirement went. Sounds like we are kind of in the same boots (combat)

PretzelGirl
01-22-2012, 09:04 AM
Danni, I am sorry you lost the symbol that you treasured. But do remember that it carried you through you last days in the military and if I am not mistaken, through some key times in your personal development. Now you can try again or do something else. But the first navel was a special one and I am guessing it served you well.

Wendy_Marie
01-22-2012, 09:31 AM
Change can be a good thing Ms. Danni, as you have already proven to yourself....

Diane Smith
01-22-2012, 10:59 PM
I've lost two navel rings the same way as yours, Danni. After the second time, my piercer said there was probably no point in doing it again because it would just continue to reject. However, she suggested an inverse (bottom) navel piercing and said I was well built for one. They have a higher success rate than the traditional top navel piercing because the tissue is thicker and the shape puts less pressure on the jewelry for many people. You might want to consider that. Unfortunately, some of the cute navel rings aren't designed to look good when worn underneath.

I haven't had it done yet because I've gotten much more into wearing corsets the last couple of years and I can't imagine a belly ring reacting well to being crushed down tight all day. But I might give it a try sometime in the future.

- Diane