PDA

View Full Version : Best time of year to come out?

danielleb
01-23-2012, 02:59 PM
Just curious if there's any consensus among us? I've met a few new sisters lately, and I know I started dealing with this roughly a year ago, so just curious. Is it the midwest winters making us spend time at home and face ourselves?:D

Julia_in_Pa
01-23-2012, 03:33 PM
I transitioned in December of 2006.

My spouse at the time knew 6 years before I did that.

I dont know if there is a preferred time frame to "come out".

I assume you are meaning within the context of being a transsexual as opposed to being a cross dresser since you posted this in the Transsexual Forum.

Julia

Frances
01-23-2012, 03:36 PM
Whenever not coming out causing anguish and distress. Coming out and transitioning are absolute basic needs for most.

That being said, SRS is best done when it's cold out in my opinion. I would not have wanted to go through what I did in a heat wave.

Anne2345
01-23-2012, 03:38 PM
Hmmm, best time of the year to come out . . . . That's an interesting question. A couple of month's ago, I came out to a sister of mine, and three very close friends. Given that I was not couped up in the house at the time due to the winter, I do not believe it had anything to do with the season. Instead, for me anyways, it had everything to do with obtaining validation and retaining what shred of sanity I had left at the time (which was a very small, microscopic shred - lol). For lack of a better explanation, it was just my time. It had to be done then and there, and not a moment later. Fortunately, it all has worked out quite well, and has continued to do so.

Melody Moore
01-23-2012, 03:43 PM
The best time of the year to come out? is there ever really such a thing?

Personally I don't think so, however there are special occasions & events
I wouldn't want to come out at. For example I wouldn't recommend coming
out to someone on their birthday or at Christmas time just in case they don't
deal with things very well. Like don't tell your Mum on her birthday or mother's
day because I don't think she will be happy. I also like the suggestion by Frances
to have SRS during the colder months because it will reduce the risk of infection.

Katesback
01-23-2012, 04:46 PM
How about on Haloween? LOL

Jorja
01-23-2012, 07:00 PM
The best time of the year to come out is, when you can't hold it back anymore. There is no special time of the year. It should happen when you have considered all your options, done your homework, and have made your plan. I do agree that times like Christmas and birthdays might want to be avoided. Find a time when nothing in particular is taking place.

Aprilrain
01-23-2012, 07:25 PM
Coming out was not a single event for me. Every needed to be told individually and family needed to be told in person so that took time. It took a lot of effort......next time I think I'll just buy a billboard ; )

Amber99
01-23-2012, 09:00 PM
How about on Haloween? LOL

LOL that is hilarious.

Stephenie S
01-23-2012, 09:39 PM
The best time to "come out" is right now.

S

Alice B
01-23-2012, 09:51 PM
There is no better time than NOW. No matter what time of year that is.

Melody Moore
01-24-2012, 02:11 AM
I do agree that times like Christmas and birthdays might want to be avoided. Find a time when nothing in particular is taking place.
I have seen a few people come out over the Christmas & the reaction is are always very mixed.
While some might be accepting, others may get really resentful & feel even more hurt. Some
might even accuse you of being selfish not to consider anyone else's feelings during the festive
season, and that you are extremely reckless to ruin such an occasion. I think you will find that
most people don't like to deal with any stressful situation during the festive season. So the less
reason you give someone to feel hurt and upset when you are coming out, the better. I think the
ideal time is ASAP. As soon as you can get a private moment to talk to the person you want to
come out to without any distractions is the ideal time. :)

Traci Elizabeth
01-24-2012, 04:30 PM
Actually, the 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month....no wait I am getting my facts mixed up. That was the end of WWI. ANY DAY is a good day to come out. Delaying only results in regrets. Just ask any of us, we all wish we had come out earlier than we did. So how about NOW!