PDA

View Full Version : V.A. Policy

Phylis Nicole Schuyler
01-25-2012, 01:13 AM
Does anyone know the V.A.'s policies in regards to crossdresser or transgender patients?

Leanne2
01-25-2012, 07:43 AM
Hi Phylis,
I am listed as a m to F transgender woman at my VA hospital. My doctor is a gynecologist, and I go to the woman's pink clinic. I'm not sure about all of their policies but I go to my appointments as Leanne. PM me if you want to talk. Have a great day!

Sally24
01-25-2012, 07:55 AM
I don't know if they have a system wide policy yet or not. A friend of mine was the first TG patient in the VA in Boston and helped them set their policies. The more vets that push for or demand its the quicker the whole system will respond. If you have any problems I would go right to the top of the VA chain of command as well as contacting your Congressperson.

Laura912
01-25-2012, 08:33 AM
Google "veterans policy to transgender" and many links will come up. The first link is the Boston VA's policy mentioned by Sally.
Laura

Michelle.M
01-25-2012, 08:55 AM
http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?155020-VA-will-now-provide-treatment-for-Transgendered-individuals

Phylis Nicole Schuyler
01-27-2012, 12:26 AM
Thank you everybody.

I'm dealing with Bay Pines VA Hospital for the past 3 years and the Sarasota /VA Clinic for five years. I've been being treated for PTSD and for the past 3 years have had 24 surguries to remove Necrotic masses from my abdomin. Hell of a way to lose the fat.

They all see that I shave all my body and have gynomastia and haven't said anything. I haven't brought up the fact that I'm Transgendered person. Wondering how to bring it up. I don't want to sound flippant by saying, "Oh, by the way, I'm a transgendered person who like to dress in feminine attire and am thinking about HRT." Advice please.

Shari
01-27-2012, 06:50 AM
I wonder why you would feel the need to broadcast it. Will it make any difference in how you're being taken care of? The fact that you may be transgendered doesn't alter your physiology.
Just go there and do what has to be done.
I wish you luck in getting better and not having to go there at all.

Sally24
01-27-2012, 07:14 AM
I wonder why you would feel the need to broadcast it. Will it make any difference in how you're being taken care of? The fact that you may be transgendered doesn't alter your physiology.

It's a valid medical condition and your doctors should be made aware. If she considers HRT then it also becomes a physical condition. I've told my GP because she should be aware of ALL my medical and psychological issues.

Beth Mays
01-27-2012, 08:06 AM
I ask a friend from the VA @ Mountain Home Tenn.
No real policy is in place (CD,TS,TV) other than the patent is the only real concern we have. If something concerns you… then it also is ours.

Beth

find me on FaceBook!

Michelle.M
01-27-2012, 06:32 PM
I wonder why you would feel the need to broadcast it. Will it make any difference in how you're being taken care of?

Yes, it will, in fact! VA covers hormones for veterans diagnosed with GID.

I ask a friend from the VA @ Mountain Home Tenn.
No real policy is in place (CD,TS,TV) other than the patent is the only real concern we have. !

Actually, there is a real policy. Check the link I gave earlier in this thread. VA covers mental health therapy, hormones, and post-surgical issues arising from complications with GRS. Everything except the actual GRS.

Diane Elizabeth
01-27-2012, 11:15 PM
In addition to what the others have said, I go the the VA in Mpls, MN and see the Endo in the Womwns Clinic for my HRT. I also am seeing a therapist there that is trained in GID. Also there is a support group that meets every week at the VA just for TG vets.

sterling12
01-28-2012, 03:22 AM
I know there are more than a few TG Gals who get their "Doctoring" done over at Haley (Tampa V.A. Hospital, and the largest in The USA for those who do not know,) and they don't get any grief about it. Just saw a Sista' the other day waiting for her appointment at one of The Clinics. I would imagine things are about the same at Bay Pines.

Policy wise, it's my understanding that they will help you with Hormones, but your not going to get The Surgery from them. And yes, I think it just might vary from facility to facility. Here's the logical argument that most facilities favor, "Your A Veteran and your entitled to VA Care!" "Whether or not your transgendered should not be criteria for general medical help." I think they are still kickin' about elective surgery, but even that could change in the future. Especially, if you had a valid diagnosis from A Shrink that verified your GID could be alleviated with surgical intervention.

Peace and Love, Joanie

Michelle.M
01-28-2012, 08:57 AM
Policy wise, it's my understanding that they will help you with Hormones, but your not going to get The Surgery from them. And yes, I think it just might vary from facility to facility.

That's the whole point. The VA put out a standard policy this past year to stop all that nonsense. Too many veterans had to shop around to get the proper care they were due because staff at various locations were not being properly managed and the lack of a policy made trans health treatment a matter of local policy.

My advice for any trans veteran is to print out the policy and take it in on their first visit. If problems arise, simply show them the policy and ask to speak to the supervisor to ensure that everyone has been properly notified of the actual rules.

While hassles at the VA might be a matter of individual transphobia from some ignorant gatekeeper, let's just assume it's from a lack of training. We can fix that easily. Never ascribe to malice what can be better explained as incompetence.

Phylis Nicole Schuyler
01-28-2012, 08:38 PM
That's the whole point. The VA put out a standard policy this past year to stop all that nonsense. Too many veterans had to shop around to get the proper care they were due because staff at various locations were not being properly managed and the lack of a policy made trans health treatment a matter of local policy.

My advice for any trans veteran is to print out the policy and take it in on their first visit. If problems arise, simply show them the policy and ask to speak to the supervisor to ensure that everyone has been properly notified of the actual rules.

While hassles at the VA might be a matter of individual transphobia from some ignorant gatekeeper, let's just assume it's from a lack of training. We can fix that easily. Never ascribe to malice what can be better explained as incompetence.

Michelle;
I completely agree in handling the ignorant gatekeepers. Thank for your advice.

To all others;
Your advice is greatly appreciated. I'll let you all know what happened when I visit my GP next.

Thank you all for your time and efforts.

As always;
Phylis

amanda w
01-28-2012, 10:55 PM
I go the VA all the time and have been for about 30 years now, for the last 5 or 6 years have goon dressed with no hassles. I do need to check on hormones. I go to the VA in portland OR.