PDA

View Full Version : Why do you wear makeup?

Anne2345
01-27-2012, 06:33 PM
In the war against masculinity, makeup is an essential tool within a crossdresser’s arsenal. Makeup comes in many forms, serves varying purposes, and is amazingly versatile. With makeup in hand, a worthy crossdresser is possessed of the ability of disguise, and becomes a master of illusion.

But just what exactly is the goal of makeup for a crossdresser? Is the goal to assist with achieving the appearance of a woman, or is it simply an aid to escape the appearance of a man?

As for me, I am a makeup junkie. I love, love, love makeup. Just the mere act of applying makeup, in fact, and methodically removing and erasing the outward appearance of my masculinity is quite pleasurable and rewarding in and of itself. I seek to escape the outer male, and proactively alter my appearance to that of a woman.

In this, when I am blessed with time for escaping my reality, it is my desire to harmonize my outer appearance with my inner feelings, emotions, and being, to the extent I may. Consequently, makeup allows me the temporary veil and mask of outer femininity that I so covet, and am otherwise missing.

After all, failing affirmative attempts at deception, the mirror speaks no lies. Without the benefit of makeup, all I see within its cursed dimensions is the physical man that I am. Makeup, however, completely changes the field of battle . . . .

So why do you wear makeup? Do you do so to take on the visage of a woman? Or do you do so to escape your own reflection in the mirror? Perhaps it is a combination of the two, or is it for a reason altogether different?

Debglam
01-27-2012, 06:45 PM
Oh you and these questions Anne! :love:

But just what exactly is the goal of makeup for a crossdresser? Is the goal to assist with achieving the appearance of a woman, or is it simply an aid to escape the appearance of a man?

During the oh-so-brief time that I get to be the woman I want to be, makeup is what helps me not only look, but also "feel" authentic. I can think of nothing in the male world that would equate to sitting down in front of a mirror and making yourself look pretty! Not only the transformation, but the process are therapeutic.

As for me, I am a makeup junkie. I love, love, love makeup. Just the mere act of applying makeup, in fact, and methodically removing and erasing the outward appearance of my masculinity is quite pleasurable and rewarding in and of itself. I seek to escape the outer male, and proactively alter my appearance to that of a woman.

In this, when I am blessed with time for escaping my reality, it is my desire to harmonize my outer appearance with my inner feelings, emotions, and being, to the extent I may. Consequently, makeup allows me the temporary veil and mask of femininity that I so covet, and am otherwise missing. . .

Yes, yes, yes, yes, and yes!!!

:kiss:
Debby

Cindy M
01-27-2012, 06:51 PM
I'm contractually obligated to wear it. L'oreal... and I'm worth it! :)

Beverley Sims
01-27-2012, 06:52 PM
Makeup is the mask I need to HELP me pass

Barbara Dugan
01-27-2012, 06:53 PM
I have to admit that I don't know a great deal about make up, I don't even know how to grab an eyeliner pencil or brush..the basic thing that I believe as a necessity is cover the beard shadow

GaleWarning
01-27-2012, 06:54 PM
In the war against masculinity, makeup is an essential tool within a crossdresser’s arsenal. Makeup comes in many forms, serves varying purposes, and is amazingly versatile. With makeup in hand, a worthy crossdresser is possessed of the ability of disguise, and becomes a master of illusion.

What a wierd parargraph! I wear makeup because I am tactile. It's got nothing to do with any battle of the sexes.

Or is it just a fun thing to do?

Not all of us feel the way you do. The tone of your post suggests that you assume (incorrectly) that all crossdressers are anti-masculine. Not true.

In this, when I am blessed with time for escaping my reality, it is my desire to harmonize my outer appearance with my inner feelings, emotions, and being, to the extent I may. Consequently, makeup allows me the temporary veil and mask of outer femininity that I so covet, and am otherwise missing.

This is your opinion, and I respect your opinion.

After all, failing affirmative attempts at deception, the mirror speaks no lies. Without the benefit of makeup, all I see within its cursed dimensions is the physical man that I am. Makeup, however, completely changes the field of battle . . . .

Of course mirrors tell lies. What I would really like to know is why you have such a low level of self-esteem as a man? My belief is that, simply because you are a human being, you are worthy of others' respect. Why would you feel otherwise?

So why do you wear makeup? Do you do so to take on the visage of a woman? Or do you do so to escape your own reflection in the mirror? Perhaps it is a combination of the two, or is it for a reason altogether different?

My reason is clearly very different from yours. I wear makeup because I can. Why should women have all the fun?

Cindy M
01-27-2012, 06:55 PM
I have to admit that I don't know a great deal about make up, I don't even know how to grab an eyeliner pencil or brush..the basic thing that I believe as a necessity is cover the beard shadow

You're naturally pretty, Barbara :)

JenniferLynn0370
01-27-2012, 06:57 PM
I agree with Debby 100%; nothing in manhood compares to the joy of making yourself look and, therefore, feel pretty!!!

paulaprimo
01-27-2012, 06:59 PM
i do it for the 2 reasons that you mention...it helps me to feel more femme, also to hide from my reflection. but i'm still not happy with my reflection, so lately i just cover the mirror with make-up...seems to help a little. lol

Debglam
01-27-2012, 07:08 PM
Not all of us feel the way you do. The tone of your post suggests that you assume (incorrectly) that all crossdressers are anti-masculine. Not true.

I don't think that is what Anne was suggesting. Just the internal struggle between our own levels of masculinity and femininity.

Allisa
01-27-2012, 07:11 PM
The war against masculinity?I must be a double agent then,and the mirror still shows a man but with the veil of femmininty,it is the inner person that I hope comes thru via action and deeds ,but I do find the challenge even after all these years of applying my "face"somewhat enjoyable even for the perfectionist that I am.Please keep your thought provoking threads coming they are quite enjoyable Anne.

Bye-Bye,Lisa.

bridget thronton
01-27-2012, 07:18 PM
I think I look better with makeup than without. It makes me feel good about myself (and hides my beard)

Melissa Jill
01-27-2012, 07:19 PM
I ****ing hate make-up. All that effort to learn something to cover your face which in the long run your skin so isn't going to thank you for.

Jenniferathome
01-27-2012, 07:24 PM
I wear makeup to NOT look like a man when I am trying to present as a woman. Ideally I want to pass as a woman but at a minimum, I want to blend in. To do that, I need makeup.

Sister Rachel
01-27-2012, 07:27 PM
I don't, yet. The last time I wore lipstick ( at least five years ago ) I found myself in tears for some reason, I think it brought on a sudden realisation of the gulf between feminine and masculine norms, the colouring and greasing of the lips as a sign of sexual availability .. it was just too much for me then! I feel differently now and I'm planning to make myself up, but I won't rush into it. There's such a huge range of colours and textures to play with, and I'd hate to make a mess of it .. it's quite scary to me to put pencils across my eyelids for one thing, and as for lines of glue to hold false lashes ..:strugglin .. I guess that I want to see the feminine me in the mirror, not a drag queen or pantomime dame, so great care and patience required!

I feel no dislike or discomfort with my 'bloke' self, though! I guess I'm lucky xxx

Anna Lorree
01-27-2012, 07:30 PM
I wear it to escape the male, I do it to immerse myself in the female, and I do it because I love the feeling, smell and even idea of wearing it...

Anna

Vickie_CDTV
01-27-2012, 07:33 PM
I wear beauty makeup because I like the way it looks, because it is pretty, because it is sexy.

I once wore heavy corrective makeup to help me pass and cover my formerly heavy beard, and that I didn't enjoy.

rachaelsloane
01-27-2012, 07:56 PM
As you are aware, I also love all the aspects that makeup has to offer. Just going to the MAC store affirms the woman within me. It's the whole process of applying my makeup to go out completes the transformation and sets my mind to become Rachael.

MsJanessa
01-27-2012, 07:59 PM
I like the way it makes me look but also love the feel and the smell of it on my face, eyes and lips---the whole effect is sensual

t-girlxsophie
01-27-2012, 08:15 PM
Because I don't feel Sophie's here unless at the bare minimum I've got foundation on.Fred Flintstone in a dress aint a good look lol

Sophie

Eryn
01-27-2012, 08:24 PM
I started with the concept of "cover the guy".

Moved on to "it's a strong feminine cue"

Then I realized that I look younger in makeup. If nothing else, that sells me on it! :)

Lorileah
01-27-2012, 09:04 PM
Because I have seen me without it and it isn't pretty. I have magic makeup that makes me 20 years younger,and makes me look like I had a nose job, and makes me pretty dammit! I am pretty I am, I am, really I am.

Ressie
01-27-2012, 09:11 PM
It's so feminine and soo hot! Just really started getting into eye makeup in about the last year. But I remember the rush I got the first time I tried on my mom's eyeliner nearly 40 years ago. So I guess it's a fetish for me. I try to put makeup on lightly, yet got some different eyeshadow recently that looked terrible!

ArleneRaquel
01-27-2012, 09:17 PM
How can one be a diva, such as moi, without wearing makeup ? I just love to transform and the application is still a fantastic high. :2c::eek:

sissystephanie
01-27-2012, 09:19 PM
I don't wear makeup at all. My late wife always did my makeup and fixed my wig so that I could "pass!" When she died almost 7 years ago I decided to just be a man in feminine clothing! So that is what I do, I dress enfemme but with no makeup and no wig! I may be wearing a skirt and pretty blouse, but I am a man!! And of course I have on panties and a bra!

NathalieX66
01-27-2012, 09:39 PM
I wear eyeshadow, blush, and lip stuff to complete the picture when I go out . Dolling up is fun!
However when I finish off my beard laser removal in a couple of months (btw....I'm halfway there) , I'll be able to get rid of all the concealer & foundation and go au natural.

donnatracey
01-27-2012, 09:43 PM
Dressing up w/o makeup? Lord have mercy.......:eek:

There's just something about a luscious lipstick with some striking eye makeup....:heehee:

SarahLynn
01-27-2012, 09:46 PM
"Why do you wear makeup?"

For the same reason i used to wear a beard; to hide the ugly. Me pop has always said i'm pppurdy; purdy damn ugly and purdy damn likely to stay that way.

With makeup i can hide some of that ugly. Not much any more but a wee bit anyway.

SarahLynn

judith96
01-27-2012, 09:49 PM
For me it's important because when I see myself in a mirror in full makeup it helps reinforce my identity (as much sense as that makes.)

KellyJameson
01-27-2012, 09:50 PM
For me the word illusion is the one that entices. Just as a lie is another aspect of truth because a lie is used to hide a truth and so points to a deeper truth which is far more revealing than the original deception, creating illusions that others respond to as reality helps to discover the truths that we would not learn otherwise.

How makeup is used can communicate intent, status,breeding,ect... just as a short or long hemline on a skirt or a low cut blouse showing cleavage compared to a closed Victorian collar. The beauty of beauty is that so much of it is subliminal and in the hands of an artisan can create magic. You become a Maestro and the world of people your canvas as this canvas made up of people responds to you, the world is a stage. It is endlessly fascinating to test people based on how we present ourselves. I have no interest in attracting someone but I definitely enjoy watching them watch me even if their response is negative because I still learn something about them. It is what people hide about themselves or show unknowingly that I find most intriguing.

Barbara Ella
01-27-2012, 09:57 PM
I am new and developing, and just recently did my first makeup with posted pictures. I do not hate the man I am, once upon a time i am told I was a decent looker. Hair and a 32 inch waist helped immensely.

But I now know that I can revel in the femininity that is within me. It started with clothes, but all I can look at is the clothes. When I take a picture or look in the mirror, the clothes are lessened by the man looking back in them. I still enjoy them, but I can look at clothes on a rack.

I hope my makeup will let me look at the whole picture and revel in the femininity that is presented in the picture. At 65 I am no hottie - bless you divas here, enjoy your youth and beauty, i certainly do - and it doesnt matter. The makeup is just to let me enjoy the moment and the dressing experience fully. I may never go outside my home, I may never have any social interaction with you wonderful people, and that will be my loss. I am not even thinking of that right now. I am just in the moment of cross dressing's experience and feel that makeup, however imperfect I may do it, will give ma a fuller enjoyment of the cross dressing I know I must do.

Babes

Risque_Christine
01-27-2012, 10:24 PM
Christine has a little bit of a different take. It is her view that makeup is an art form, and, alone among art forms, you get to be the canvas (sorry, she is old fashioned and does not view tattoes and piercing as other than disfigurement). I came from a family of talented artists, and had always thought I had gotten the short end of the stick. That was not so, I just did not know what form in which I might have some minimal talent. Turning dross into passable, and sometimes better, drives her forward. As one commenter put it, alchemy had been discredited by many for trying to turn stone into gold, but what else is the cosmetics industry about? It gives us hope that we can be beautiful, and perhaps look a little younger.
Best, Christine

suchacutie
01-27-2012, 11:35 PM
I'm not sure that I wear makeup for any different of a reason that GGs wear makeup! Makeup creates an illusion by hiding imperfections, creating the illusion of shapes that your face doesn't have, and by using coloration to change the focus of the observer!

Also, for me, since GGs wear makeup, Tina wants to know about it! There is nothing about femininity that Tina does not want to know about if she is capable!

:)

sometimes_miss
01-27-2012, 11:44 PM
I sort of played with using make up when I was a teen; but not having much to practice with, I never got very good at it. Add to that the facial deformity, and I was never going to be able to be the 'pretty girl' that I wanted to be. I fixed the face with surgery (to some extent, there's still a scar), but by that point, my facial features were decidedly masculine, I'd never be able to be pretty as an adult either. At this point, the extent of my make up is pretty much lipstick once in a while. The stimulus for using it is seeing any girl with pretty pink lipstick; IRL, movie/tv, or magazine, doesn't take much to do it.

vivianann
01-28-2012, 12:06 AM
I wear make up because it completes the femme image. I have very long lashes, so not wearing mascara would be missing out showing them off. I feel better about myself with make up while dressed enfemme.

trishboy
01-28-2012, 12:16 AM
I love mascara especially as it adds a lovely smokey look to my face. I feel more like a gypsy woman

darla_g
01-28-2012, 12:28 AM
very eloquent statements Anne.

i love makeup too, especially lipstick since it is so sensuous how it feels on the lips and its taste is fabulous. I recognize it as an art form and want to improve my skill while hoping to make myself appear more feminine. there's the fun for me

Kate Simmons
01-28-2012, 06:00 AM
Put simply. the idea of makeup is to look nice. The real skill using it is to make it look like you are wearing little or none.:)

Courtney_Glenn
01-28-2012, 06:26 AM
lol, I think I'm obsessed. Even in guy mode I tend to wear eyeliner (or as the kids say, "guy-liner") and light foundation a lot. I just really dig what it does for me.

Paula_56
01-28-2012, 07:33 AM
I wear it to look pretty, and no woman, wants to look like a man

NicoleScott
01-28-2012, 08:32 AM
All of this is, of course, how my eyes see things and how my brain interprets what I see, for whatever reason:
My eyes have always been attracted to pretty, glamorous women, and makeup accentuates the beauty. And the more glamorous makeup, the better I liked it. It come as no surprise to me that as a crossdresser I love makeup - bold and lots of it. Most everything about my crossdressing style reflects this "more is better" approach. Whatever it is that visually differentiates women from men, I like those differences accentuated and exaggerated. Long thick eyelashes, high heels, painted nails, short skirts, jewelry, perfume, and makeup. Overdone, over the top. It's not just the finished look; I love the process of transforming from a plain guy into a heavily painted glamorous woman. All fun and games for me - nothing real about it except the excitement it brings.

Sara Jessica
01-28-2012, 08:49 AM
Simply put, makeup is fun!!!

But you'd be surprised how this perception can change if you have your own long hair.

Before growing mine out, dress me up and put a wig on me without any makeup and I see nothing but guy in the mirror. Now with long hair, no matter what I might be wearing...and even if my face is a bit stubbly because of an upcoming electrolysis appointment, I am able to see a female in my reflection despite not wearing any makeup. It is a truly magical feeling.

What a wierd parargraph! I wear makeup because I am tactile. It's got nothing to do with any battle of the sexes....Of course mirrors tell lies. What I would really like to know is why you have such a low level of self-esteem as a man? My belief is that, simply because you are a human being, you are worthy of others' respect. Why would you feel otherwise?

There is nothing weird about it. Some of us approach this from a different angle and if makeup helps to serve to repress the male or masculine image, all the better reason to use it.

I wear eyeshadow, blush, and lip stuff to complete the picture when I go out . Dolling up is fun!
However when I finish off my beard laser removal in a couple of months (btw....I'm halfway there) , I'll be able to get rid of all the concealer & foundation and go au natural.

You are likely closer to being done with the face-fur removal than I but when I go out & about, I tweeze what remains. I can say that although I've been out a few times without makeup for short periods of time after a facial, I prefer using at least a light powder foundation that evens out my skin tone. Still, this is another magical feeling, to be able to go without a heavy foundation or concealer regimen.

JessicaM1985
01-28-2012, 08:49 AM
Honestly, I prefer makeup over even wearing girl clothes. It's the one thing to me that is decidedly feminine. Plenty of girls can wear men's clothing and still be beautiful. Outside of naturally occuring femme features, I feel that tastefully done makeup and a wig can really take you from guy to girl mode in a hurry from a visual standpoint.

Which reminds me, I wanna go shower and then get dolled up a bit later... :)

TGMarla
01-28-2012, 09:55 AM
That was eloquent and articulate Anne. Put me down for a combination of the two. Because the makeup allows the girl in me to shine through, and puts the man away for a while. It lets me be pretty while I'm wearing it, and brings the whole essence of the crossdressing experience to its fruition. It lets me look in a mirror and smile back at the shining image that is looking back at me, the woman in my reflection. Like you, I just love it!

SallyS
01-28-2012, 10:15 AM
Have you seen me without it!!!:D

Nikki A.
01-28-2012, 10:42 AM
Covers up the imperfections, adds color and a more femenine look. To me, if you're gonna dress and blend you need to look the part. Besides it's fun.

paula123
01-28-2012, 10:45 AM
I like the way it feals and makes me look

Dena
01-28-2012, 10:59 AM
Because it's fun!

I love the artistic aspect, the scents and sensations. It helps me feel pretty!

STACY B
01-28-2012, 11:09 AM
I agree with what ann said :D:D:D But also IM (UGLY) :eek::eek::eek: So if I want to half way look like anything but a WILDMAN I better get to ULTA quik :battingeyelashes::battingeyelashes::battingeyelas hes: So I can be pretty !!!

Brenda Freeman
01-28-2012, 11:13 AM
I wear make up to try to look as feminine as possible! I do not enjoy applying it and occasionally pay to have someone do it, I struggle with eye liner and eye shadow I lack patience and a steady hand! but when I have make up on I feel that I look good and feminine which is what I love about dressing up! plus the right make up and wig can turn the clock back a bit for a bonus.

Cheryl T
01-28-2012, 11:27 AM
If you have ever seen any models or tv personalities without their makeup then you know why I wear makeup.
It covers flaws, smooths and evens skin tone and all together makes us more attractive. It's an essential part of being a woman and appearing as such to the world.

Prissy Linda
01-28-2012, 11:31 AM
Makeup is my oldest and dearest friend, makeup has been with me since I was 5 years old. I would watch my mother apply her makeup every morning, she was and still is a beautiful woman but once she applied her makeup she became a goddess. One day I asked her if she would put lipstick on me, she did and smiled a knowing smile while I saw myself in the mirror. I can still remember the flood of emotions, how pretty I had become,this led to other makeup products.

I was an only child for 9 years, but I was never lonely because I had my makeup that my mom allowed me to wear, mom realized that I had discovered a joy that few men will ever experience. I was also fortunate to meet a girl in my teens who loved wearing dresses and makeup, she loved being a girl. We began dating, not long after I told her about my love of makeup and dressing like a girl, she accepted that without much hesitation since she had never known or even heard of boys who liked dressing like a girl (the 60's). We dated for 6 years before we were married, during that time I continued to explore and expand my femme self, she was right there with me. Makeup was my first love.

Linda

Renee W
01-28-2012, 11:37 AM
I guess I put on makeup so I don't just look like a dude in a dress and wig. I find that when I have makeup on, I feel that I am complete.

Mrs Roads
01-28-2012, 12:11 PM
Make up makes me feel very sexy and feminine, I like the going through the routine of putting it on, makes me feel like a real woman (similar when I shave my legs and all other body hair in the shower). There's just something very sensual about putting on and wearing make up for me :) Plus, (without too much boasting I hope), I do look very pretty when wearing make up :battingeyelashes:

Robyn2006
01-28-2012, 12:23 PM
Anne,
Good lord, I loved your post. You have described exactly my life and love of makeup, that wonderful ability to "harmonize my outer appearance with my inner feelings." The joy I experience applying my makeup has no bounds. With that last stroke of just the perfect lipstick, after all else is in place and just right, my inner self comes alive. Every minute of my transformation in front of my makeup mirror is complete heaven. :kiss:

Strange that anyone would take issue with the war we wage with our (dreaded?) masculinity. Suppose it goes to our reasons to transform ourselves. For some it is just fun, which is, of course, fine, great, but for others like myself, it's all about becoming as completely as possible the woman who I so wish I had been born, casting aside the "cursed dimensions [of the] the physical man that I am."

carhill2mn
01-28-2012, 01:31 PM
I wear makeup so that I will look better. It certainly helps me to look a little more feminine. I sometimes wear just a touch of makeup even in male mode as I think I look better with it on. BTW, no one has ever made a comment about it.

PretzelGirl
01-28-2012, 02:00 PM
I have extra money laying around, bought all the dresses I could ever want, and it makes me look a lot better. Okay, one out of three isn't bad. :heehee:

kimdl93
01-28-2012, 02:53 PM
I do love wearing make up, and for both reasons you cited. I try to soften and feminize my facial appearance and certainly hope to escape the masculine reflection in the mirror. Not to mention the feeble attempt at hiding the passage of time and too many hours in the sun!

Brittany CD
01-28-2012, 03:45 PM

Well, I actually hate makeup. Maybe it's because I do live a male lifestyle and have always viewed myself as such and the only real girly thing about me is my love of women's fashion. I have always disliked makeup and don't understand why GG's wear it. However, since I want to be the smiling, fun loving, fashion obsessed Katie for some unknown reason, I wear makeup to make the appearance of a woman, not to hide my male self

Eryn
01-28-2012, 04:56 PM
...when I finish off my beard laser removal in a couple of months (btw....I'm halfway there) , I'll be able to get rid of all the concealer & foundation and go au natural.

That was my dream too, but I was brought down by too many red and gray whiskers. Laser _has_ made shaving quicker and makeup easier, but going barefaced with a quick application of lipstick like 90% of the GGs is still an impossible dream. :(

It would be interesting to put this same question to the GGs on the board, but I fear that such a question would digress in a bad direction.

Julia_in_Pa
01-28-2012, 04:58 PM
I really don't wear makeup much.

I'm not a big fan. I maybe wear it 20 % of the time usually at work.

Julia

Marleena
01-28-2012, 05:25 PM
I use it to get rid of the old guy staring at me in the mirror. The girl is a lot prettier in a dress!.lol.

karenlong
01-28-2012, 05:30 PM
if it wasnt for makeup, i would be a dude in a dress, lol even with makeup, it takes everything to make me presentable , at least to myself for going out

Julogden
01-28-2012, 05:53 PM
Basically for the reasons you've mentioned. It helps me look more female, but I also thoroughly enjoy everything about makeup and love to experiment with it, although since I'm now 60, the results are usually less than thrilling. ;)

Carol