PDA

View Full Version : The great earring saga (Part 1)

Julie York
10-29-2005, 06:29 AM
The great pierced ears saga!

This is a story of daring, lies, bravery and deceit! And it isn't over yet. eek!

Some people might find this rather pathetic and some might be nodding sagely as they read along, depending on your age and situation. But I hope it is amusing anyway.

For some reason which I can't quite remember now...I got it into my head that it would be nice to have my ears pierced. (I still can't really remember WHY!)

But I am not exactly young and it is a very big deal for me and any middle aged guy to suddenly walk into the pub sporting two gold studs that I would have to live with for at least a month before removing them! Also, although my work situation is quite cool, two gold earrings would make me and everyone else feel a little uncomfortable.

Soooo.....Tricky situation...not helped by getting knee deep in a game of "Dare" with Mona Smith, which because of my competitive nature I just couldn't get out of.

So....This required some clever thinking. If the stud didn't HAVE to be in for weeks I could have just taken them out for work, then put them in in the evening. No-one need ever know and I would have all the fun of wearing dangly earrings in private. And I was also rather paranoid (still am) about what my friends might say as I didn't want to be the butt end of everyone's jokes about being camp/gay/etc etc (which is sad in this day and age but highly likely).

However, it isn't that easy, as once they are 'done' they stay done for the time it takes to heal or the hole will close up.

But then I came up with a fiendish plan!
I would bend a bit of polished copper wire into a little loop and pretend it was a very discrete earring (in just one ear) and wear it to the pub.
In the bar lights you couldn't really tell the colour. That way...I could guage the reactions and if things got really out of hand I could take it off and go "Ha...only joking!"

So off I went to the pub sporting my fake earring. And the first two people I met.....not a thing. Didn't even notice it even though I felt I had half a scaffolding pole in my ear..
The next friend I met was chatting then burst out laughing when he saw it..."Have you had your ear pierced?"
So I just laughed back, "Yeah, you are the only person who noticed!"
And that was that because he had to go....and so did I.

Sooooo....the plot thickens in Part Two!

Julie York
10-29-2005, 06:35 AM
The great earring saga Part Two. (The plot thickens)

So having tried the fake earring to the pub...with no great adverse effects I
thought, "Hmm this is interesting! Let's see what happens at work." And so the next day I wore the bit of polished copper wire to work feeling VERY self conscious.
I tried to pretend everything was normal but it was like going through customs or something and I felt like the earring was HUGE! Anyway, the boss guy, he is sitting talking to me like normal on a Monday and I could see his eyes flicker to the earring and a strange confused look fleetingly crossed his face. I could tell he had seen it and wasn't very comfortable
but he didn't say anything.

Well, later in the day I was so nervous about all this that I just needed to
know what he felt about it and if he was annoyed or uncomfortable.
So I said, "I've been conducting a Social experiment...and you passed."
So he looked at me with a frown and said, "What do you mean?"
And I pointed to the earring and said, "Well you didn't say anything like,
'What the hell is that in your ear!'"

He looked at it and frowned a little and said, "Actually, I was trying to remember if you had one already."

DOH!!

And that was it. End of conversation. Amazing result.

So far so good!

But what a tangled web we do weave! I wore it to work for a week because after that success I couldn't just have the earring miraculously disappear. It would have been odd and inconsistent.
And then I wore it again in the pub and a few more folk saw it, some smirked but said nothing, some didn't notice, but mostly no-one cared that much and it WAS a very small ring so some didn't even see it.

Now at this point...The only people who had seen it close up were guys...none of which had any piercings. And they weren't going to show any great interest about where I had it done, what sort of gold it was (rather pink for gold?!) and how come they never saw me with a stud for weeks before the ring appeared. They just didn't know that stuff. But sooner or later I was going to run into a GG who would spot the lie at a hundred paces! And then I wouldn't just look like a slightly eccentric middle
aged guy with an earring, but would be exposed as a nut job fantacist who has been walking around for two weeks lying to everyone!

Ooops.

So the solution.....Get rid of the ring.....(Can't do that. I've come too far and there is a 'Dare' at stake here.) Or.....get the ear done quickly! Before I am exposed as a fake.

...but that's Part Three.

DanaJ
10-29-2005, 07:20 AM
....waiting for the last part before making comments :D Actually Julie, that was a good idea ;)

Adrianne
10-29-2005, 07:48 AM
Julie 10 out 10 for the way you went round it, good idea.

Wendy me
10-29-2005, 08:24 AM
omg loved it julie i reading this and trying to think abought your testing and just hanging on waiteing for the next line .... wow way cool ..... part 3 i dyeing to read .........

TGMarla
10-29-2005, 09:19 AM
Eagerly awaiting part three! *Grin*

:D

Sharon
10-29-2005, 11:34 AM
And..., and...?

Dang, you're worse than a damn soap opera.

C'mon. Julie, I'm taking notes here!

Lauren_T
10-29-2005, 11:41 AM
OK, Julie, I'm sure you'd like the title 'Master of Suspense,' but since Alfred Hitchcock already nailed that one, you'll just have to get on with it... :eek: :p

Billie
10-29-2005, 11:52 AM
You don't really need to leave the studs in for a month, I know that everything says that you do. When I got my ears pierced (3 holes) I left the studs in over night. Next morning I swapped them out for small silver hoops. I kept them clean and did all the other stuff that you're told to. I've had them pierced now for 12 years. I've had no problems with them ever.

Maddie
10-29-2005, 12:08 PM
just do it my wife took me for mine and bought diamond studs for me

Julie York
10-29-2005, 12:35 PM
Part 3

I thought o.k. it is now or never then, but if I go to one of those places where you just turn up......I'll just NOt turn up! So I went to a place that does beauty stuff but is more like a little clinic and booked an appointment for today!! They do birth marks removal and things like that so it was not full of women having their nails done etc.

Well, the big morning arrived, along with the hangover and the nerves. I wanted to do it and I knew I should and all that but I was still nervous about the decision. It seems such a final decision but it isn't like a tattoo...it just feels as dramatic as that.

Anyway....I went and waited and waited and waited and oh my god if they don't hurry up I'm going to lose my nerve!! But finally I was lead through to a little room by a very lovely lady who was all starchy and professional and reassuring. And she marked a dot on my ear and I thought I'd better see it is where I want it first (Yeah like I'd KNOW!) so like a fool I said.....Oh I thought it would be a bit higher.

So she says, "Oh really? Well I put the mark where a woman would have it. Do you WANT it higher?"

OMG!! Now I am in a fix!

I want it where it should be for a dangly girly earring, not for some big gothy biker stud. But that means I have to TELL her that! Eeeek!! And I could feel myself blushing bright pink. So I said, "Erm..well..erm you are the professional." And I looked her in the eyes and said..."Put it where you would put it if it was YOUR ear." And we sort of locked eyes for half a second and she gave a big smile and marked it again where she had before.

Then POP and it was done.

I was shaking like a leaf and when she showed it to me in the mirror I burst out laughing it was so delightful......but then I now have one very big (to me) and very shiny (to me) and very obvious (to me) gold stud very firmly attached to me.

And you know what.....it feels really sexy in a nice scary sort of way!

Been an interesting day all in all.

So the plan is to wait a few weeks, take that stud out during the day when I've had the other done and no little old ladies, bosses, or passing mates will freak out by me wearing two earrings. But I get to wear dangly girly earrings at home!

I have yet to go to the pub or work with my big girly gold stud the size of an orange.....but...it's NOT coming out!

I hope that encourages other faint hearts like me out there.

JY

Marlena Dahlstrom
10-29-2005, 12:49 PM
It's really best to leave the earring undisturbed for a few weeks, but as others have mentioned, one can bend the rules.

Julie, if you leave the stud out during the day, unfortunately the piercing will probably close up on you. (If you wait two-months until it's fully healed, you'll be probably OK, but you'll need to pay attention to it.)

If you're concerned about people noticing, one alternative are "earring protectors" (http://store.yahoo.com/comfees/1067.html) which are little plastic sleeves that go over the studs to protect against irritation. In the States you can get them at an accessories store like Claire's and many other places. You put them in, put a drop of concealer over it and voila. Another alternative is a short bit of thick fishing line. Be sure to carefully sterilize either alternative and it's a good idea to wear the studs at night. Just be aware these aren't the ideal way of treating a piercing, so there is a higher risk of side-effects, such as infection or having the piercing take long to heal.

For you other girls, if you do either of these, it's best to give the piercing as much time to heal with the original stud. So at a minimum do it on a Friday night, which gives you until Monday morning (and a three-day weekend is even better).

Natalie x
10-29-2005, 12:58 PM
Oh Julie! I always love your posts. Congratulations on seeing it through, now you can start to enjoy the benefits. I like great big, dangly, heavy earings that hit me in the face when I turn my head and feel like two bricks hanging from my ears. Have fun.

Phoebe Reece
10-29-2005, 01:14 PM
Great story! Full of drama, lots of suspense. Of course after you do the second earring and you are not wearing the first, is the boss going to pass the second social experiment and not notice the earring has moved to the other ear.....?;)

Tamara Croft
10-29-2005, 02:14 PM
:clap: well done Julie :GD: btw, just wait till you try taking it out, your eyes will pop out like this -----> :confuse:

Wendy me
10-29-2005, 02:28 PM
wow omg your like a ear ring godes wow well done...........

Marla GG
10-29-2005, 07:47 PM
Oh, what cunning! My favorite part was the "fake earring":

But then I came up with a fiendish plan!
I would bend a bit of polished copper wire into a little loop and pretend it was a very discrete earring (in just one ear) and wear it to the pub.
In the bar lights you couldn't really tell the colour. That way...I could guage the reactions and if things got really out of hand I could take it off and go "Ha...only joking!"

Have you thought of applying the same brilliant method to other things? You could wrap some elastic around your chest and make a "fake bra." Or how about sewing a little lace onto your boxer shorts for "fake panties"? Fake nail polish? "Only joking! It's really....erm....shiny red paint that is NOT even slightly girly! Fooled you!"

And if it really catches on in a big way, there could be a whole new social trend called "Yorking." Cheating husbands will start coming home with fake lipstick stains on their collars! Teenage daughters will confront their parents with fake pregancy tests! Closeted gay guys will show up for Christmas dinner with fake boyfriends!

But seriously Julie, my (fake) hat is off to you for finding the courage to go through with it. I know it must have been a little scary, but I hope you feel very liberated now. Thanks for the highly entertaining story, too. :D

Rachel Morley
10-29-2005, 10:26 PM
Ha ha ha.....Julie! Sorry but this story is so funny because I totally understand where you are coming from (mate)!

I had my left ear done (by myself) when I was 16 years old for a bet. But it wasn't until I was in my mid 30's that I decided I wanted the second one done for girly reasons. :D I was very nervous about what people would think if they saw me with a stud in each ear. I did this one myself too one drunken evening :eek:

Anyway, I want to tell you that I got over the problem of being seen by my co-workers by first removing my existing earring, and wearing my new one as long as possible each day. I would take it out just before I got out of my car in the car park before going into work and then always took my lunch off site so that I could put it back in for an hour. Then as soon as it was time to go home I would put it back in and leave it until the next work day started.

I started doing this after I had "done the deed" on the Friday night of a Bank Holiday weekend so that I got 3 days of healing before I first took it out. I had no problems and it healed ok.

The only time I ever had a "moment" was when I was in a spa pool at my local health club with one of my buddies and his young son and his son said to me "how come you have got both your ears pierced..I thought only girls do that".
Fortunately for me his Dad piped up with "well, these days it doesn't matter what people do". I guess this means we are living the the past if we think it's weird or camp to wear earrings as a guy.

So anyway, I share your concerns but Julie, honestly, I think you are being just a little bit too worried. Don't sweat the small stuff :D

Congratulations on being brave enough to go to the salon......I would have gone to a butch tattoo parlour and pretended to be manly!

Take care

uknowhoo
10-30-2005, 01:08 AM
...and the award for Crossdresser Entertainer of the year goes to...
Yeah, as if we really need the envelope, please.
Thank you, Julie, for never failing to lift our spirits and entertain us at the same time. You are simply beautiful (and I'm not just saying that because I happened to catch a glimpse of the r/l femme avatar pic you posted FOR ABOUT @ MINUTES this summer)!!
To the extent that it's safe for anyone to speak on behalf of the whole forum, let me just say "We love you so, dangly York, you're a true treasure!!!"
In all sincerity, Tammi

Julie York
10-30-2005, 03:23 AM
Ooh gosh!

Thank you everyone for the encouragement and nice comments.

I did go to the pub last night....and you know what?......Yeah...No-one said a word. I thought after all that b*****y trauma someone could had least gone to the bother of calling me a big poofter or something. But NO!! They're all so damned civilised after all!

Right that's it then. When I get the other one done I am going to the pub with dangly diamante sparlers down to my shoulders and then I'll stand at the end of the bar glaring at everyone and shouting....YES?...YOU WANT TO SAY SOMETHING EH? EH? EH?:D :D

MonaSmith
10-30-2005, 07:09 AM
Well done honey,

See I told you!!

You are the lucky winner of ONE girly earring!! Want to try for the grand prize of TWO?

xx

Julie York
10-30-2005, 09:13 AM
Well done honey,

See I told you!!

You are the lucky winner of ONE girly earring!! Want to try for the grand prize of TWO?

xx

You bet! No stopping now!

(I hope!)

Kim E
10-30-2005, 12:20 PM
Hi Julie ~
Loved your story, especially the "conducting a social experiment" part. I love your humor and am happy everything worked out for you. Sorry, I'm still laughing so hard I can hardly see the screen.

Kim

DonnaT
10-30-2005, 11:25 PM
Congratulations Julie. One of these days, my wife will let me get mine done.

Shannon
10-31-2005, 12:00 AM
I got my left ear pierced five years ago (at age 49) two months after I separated from my ex. It was an act of liberation more than for CrossDressing. Took some gentle ribbing at work, not for getting it pierced but because I chose an amethesis (sp?) stone stud -- supposed to have healing properties that I felt I needed at the time.

After four years, I actually got tired of it, and let it heal over. Now I'm wishing I hadn't of done that. Maybe I'll go back and have it done again...maybe both ears.

I enjoyed reading your saga, Julie. A very creative way to test the waters.

Julie York
11-27-2005, 10:26 AM
Yes...I finally did the deed and have the other ear pierced!

I knew what to expect this time but it wasn't without its interesting moments. Firstly, the stupid woman kept me waiting 15 minutes from my apointment time, so that didn't help my mood as I was still a little anxious. Then she managed to stab the stud through my ear (with a gun thing) and not get the fastener on in one go, so she ended up fumbling about trying to get it on. In fact, this exact thing happened last time....so I think she was a little embarrassed and said she didn't want paying. But I gave a a 'drink' for Christmas and she gave me the spare stud (as I'd only had the one done that day.).

So with the first spare, and now a second spare, I have a complete other pair!

Anyway, afterwards I looked in a mirror and grinned ear to ear and said, "Thanks for that. I've been wanting to do this for ages." To which she replied (and it was her tone that annoyed me, like 'you are nuts')...Why do you want earrings?...So quick as a flash I said....."It's like a tattoo. It's an act of defiance." To which she just shrugged and said "O.K. (you really are nuts!)"

So then I had to go straight to work and took out the first earring. The guy I work with did a double take but said nothing. And the guys in the pub...one didn't notice..one guy who I have seen about 6 times with the first earring...suddenly noticed! This is after a month of having the first one. But he didn't care either. So that's cool.

The trouble is, with taking the first one in and out for work it is getting a bit tender so I hope I don't mess it up! The big test will be Monday when I leave the first one out for 7 hours! Just hope I can get the damned thing back in again.

So there you have it. I now have stereo earrings. Thank you for your support and encouragement. I will be posting dangly earring photos at Christmas probably.

TGMarla
11-27-2005, 10:33 AM
Hee hee hee! Way to go. Screw 'em all, if they don't like it. Looking forward to the pics.

DanaJ
11-27-2005, 10:37 AM
Way to go Julie - I am so proud of you! And envious too :) Next, you need to go for quadrophonic earrings :D

Oh man, I hate people who have no clue! That woman who did your ears, what a nerve to cop an atitude - grrrrr.

Sharon
11-27-2005, 10:38 AM
Very cool, Julie.

Stereo earrings, huh? I wonder if I ought to wait for the surround version?

Tamara Croft
11-27-2005, 12:42 PM
:slap: I said I'd do them!!! :tongueout stupid woman shouldn't be doing them, I mean if she cocked up the first time she did it and now a second time, she obviously doesn't know wth she is doing!!!! And touching them with her fingers :OMG: what part of CROSS INFECTION did she not understand...... anyway... leaving the earing out for 7 hours, you might have a problem getting it back in... the back of the ears tend to heal up pretty damn quick, so be warned you may have to stab it through the back :(

So, danglys huh... we will be waiting for pics :D

Lauren_T
11-27-2005, 01:02 PM
"Why do you want earrings?"
I woulda come back w/ "Well, why do you?".... :D

I will be posting dangly earring photos at Christmas probably.Ya. December 26, from 4:04AM to 4:05AM, am I right? :eek:

We'll be there... and if you're having us on, then we may just have to have a word or two with those lads down at your pub :p

Maria D
11-27-2005, 01:56 PM
I had both done at once at Claire's beauty thingy. The woman was great, my gender didn't make a blind bit of difference to her, I presume they are seeing more and more men.
I was starting a new job the week after, but I'd just had enough of conforming really, or even finding excuses for being myself. I had no intention of removing my gold studs for anyone, probation or no, and just turned up for work on my first day. No one said a thing. Not a sausage. After a month, I swapped them for some 1cm sleepers my fiancee bought, and the only comment I got was
'You changed your earrings?'
'Yes' I replied.
'I prefer the new ones.'

My family were totally different though. My Mum insisted I take them out as they looked silly. I pointed out that I was an adult and would wear rudolf antlers if I fancied it. My sister went ballistic, saying that though she admired the fact that I ignored other people and was strong enouth to do my own thing, she thought I looked terrible, it wasn't the done thing, and stop doing it.
That was about 18 months ago, and they have accepted it, probably because they had little choice. ;)

I'm glad you've found people accepting Julie. I get the feeling that, most of the time, we are too scared to do these things because WE expect people to behave according to OUR worst expectations. Nearly all the time, that doesn't happen.

BTW, If you do have trouble getting them back in again, try bathing them in wet and warm cotton wool for 5 minutes, or try putting them back in after a shower, I find that helps.

Take care and kudos.
Maria
xxx

crossing_over
11-27-2005, 03:55 PM
hun good job.

no need to be nervous tho..... guys have earings nowadays...... period...... hell i got mine done at afterthoughts in the mall when i was younger lol ....... people just dont think twice about it and those who do i guess are very sheltered... it's no big deal ..... the bar i go to to play pool is full of a buncha old biker type guys that have one foot in the grave....... half of them have earrings lol.... i've seen a biker guy get his ear pierced in claires before too..... i have a single hole in each ear and i wear loops every day nobody cares.... i even get compliments on it as will you....... but congrats :P >:D<

Lauren_T
11-27-2005, 04:05 PM
Way to go Julie - I am so proud of you! And envious too :) Next, you need to go for quadrophonic earrings :D

Oh man, I hate people who have no clue! That woman who did your ears, what a nerve to cop an atitude - grrrrr.Dana, don't look now, but you date yourself with talk about 'quad'... :p

The latest and greatest is currently 7.2 channel surround; I'll leave it up to someone else to figure out where the other 7 go... :confused:

Julie York
11-27-2005, 05:58 PM
I woulda come back w/ "Well, why do you?".... :D

Ya. December 26, from 4:04AM to 4:05AM, am I right? :eek:

:p

Ah....you have my photo posting technique sussed then.

Hey well if you're there you're there. It's almost like an exclusive club. You either experienced it or missed it. JY bootleg photos are selling on Ebay now.

:D

Amelie
11-27-2005, 06:11 PM
That's cool Julie,, Next, You have to get your tongue pierced, but go to a different person to have this done, you don't want her using her hands in your mouth.

uknowhoo
11-27-2005, 06:29 PM
Woo hoo ! Way to go, York !
I was wondering when we might see this this post.
Btw, I've often pondered the phenom Maria mentioned. I'm not at all surprised by the lack of negative feedback. Soo much of the angst begins n ends in our heads. Then again, it's easy for me to say when I'm not the one with two pierced ears. Well done, girlfriend. Hugs, Tammi

Marla GG
11-28-2005, 12:00 AM
All right, all right, calm down......

If she ASKED you why you want earrings, you can bet your bottom dollar she didn't suspect you were a CD.

She just thought you were a weirdo. :p

I will be posting dangly earring photos at Christmas probably.

Oh! You spoiled my Christmas surprise. But I will look forward to them anyway.

DonnaT
11-28-2005, 09:16 AM
Yes...I finally did the deed and have the other ear pierced!

Very cool Julie, Congratulations.

I wonder if the guys staring might have something to do with which ear sported the earring.

Get some clear ear protectors to put in the holes if you are thinking about leaving off the earring.

http://www.earrs.com/cgi-bin/eStore/index.cgi?cart_id=5046315.21075&pid=120&product=Accessories

paulaN
11-28-2005, 11:07 AM
Way to go julie. You are on the road to those dangley ear rings. I want to get mine done so bad. But the S.O. says no. Maybe for Christmas. probley not. your one Lucky girl.

Jillian310
11-28-2005, 06:07 PM
I had both ears pierced about a year ago when I started to let my hair grow. I had mentioned it off hand to my wife beforehand, but it was a real surprise to her! And a major step for me! For my last birthday - 68 - my wife had custom made gold stars with a diamond inset - large diamonds - for me. Also, she likes to comb and tinker with my growing hair. She knows I shave and wear panties 24 7. I am bringing her along slowly in measured steps. I ignore the few stares my hair and earrings gets. Having been a little far out there for most of my life has prepared me to overlook those that don't understand my behavior. To thine own self be true....................