PDA

View Full Version : Being TS, moving to Canada and studies questions :S

danitvpe
02-04-2012, 05:59 PM
Hi,

I'm a CD, I have always wanted to transition but I live in Chile, its a great place to live and to visit but not so much if you are part of the GLBT comunity. As an example, here people still support the lack of an anti discrimination law coz they think It can encourage gay marriage or gay adoption in the future an that destroys the family... Is not like there are hate crimes or violence here, but its very very hard for TS to find a good job.
To make it short, I'm checking ways to go live to Canada and it looks like the best way is to study a MBA. I'm not sure if I would study a master degree if it would be another way to go live there but more than that I have some questions hope someone could help me with:

¿Is Canada TG friendly? ¿Is the right place to move being TG? Im thinking about going to the Toronto area but have my options open.

¿Does it worth the investment for master degree? ¿Am I gonna be able to find a job related to my studies?

I'm feeling now that if I dont do something to go forward in my transition I'm going to regret it in the future but I'm not sure what is the right decision to make :S

Thnx in advance for your answers and sorry if my english writing is kinda bad. I'm still working on it.

Jessinthesprings
02-04-2012, 06:50 PM
Hi,

I'm a CD, I have always wanted to transition but I live in Chile, its a great place to live and to visit but not so much if you are part of the GLBT comunity. As an example, here people still support the lack of an anti discrimination law coz they think It can encourage gay marriage or gay adoption in the future an that destroys the family... Is not like there are hate crimes or violence here, but its very very hard for TS to find a good job.
To make it short, I'm checking ways to go live to Canada and it looks like the best way is to study a MBA. I'm not sure if I would study a master degree if it would be another way to go live there but more than that I have some questions hope someone could help me with:

¿Is Canada TG friendly? ¿Is the right place to move being TG? Im thinking about going to the Toronto area but have my options open.

¿Does it worth the investment for master degree? ¿Am I gonna be able to find a job related to my studies?

I'm feeling now that if I dont do something to go forward in my transition I'm going to regret it in the future but I'm not sure what is the right decision to make :S

Thnx in advance for your answers and sorry if my english writing is kinda bad. I'm still working on it.

I think Canada and the US is going to have the same varied acceptance. As a general rule the larger the city the more accepting it will be. As a general rule.

Yes, get your masters. It will only help you. It will even open doors to areas that may not directly reqiure that specific field. There is no promise of a job but it does open doors that would otherwise be closed.

It will always be hard to find a job, even for those who are not looked down on by society, but you have to be true to yourself. Where ever that path may lead.

StevieTV
02-04-2012, 06:51 PM
Hi Dani,
If you speak French, I would suggest moving to Montreal. Once you become a resident, school is considerably cheaper than the rest of Canada as it is subsidized in Quebec. I know from personal experience it's far, far cheaper than Ontario and getting a Masters degree is always a great investment as is any education.

jillleanne
02-04-2012, 08:04 PM
Toronto is very tg friendly and your rights are protected here in Ontario. UofT has some great programs and yes, a Masters is a definite asset. A Bachelors degree is a waste of time in any subject. I would stay away from Biology and Chemistry as majors if your intention is to remain in Canada. Most of those job are with the government and related jobs are hard to get/come by. Medicine, Law, Education, Finance, and are excellent choices with lots of opportunity and all pay well
( $ 80,000.00 - $450,000.00). Currently/unfortunately there are far too many Engineers than jobs for them in Canada and many have had to take jobs unrelated from their studies or move abroad.
You may also want to consider Ottawa, Ontario( also very Tg friendly). Check out the programs at the University of Ottawa. You can contact my friends at www.gendermosaic.com for move info. on Ottawa area.
Hope this helps.

Kathryn Martin
02-04-2012, 08:14 PM
Canada is the most TG tolerant if not friendly in the western world. Toronto would be a great place.

Leslie Langford
02-04-2012, 09:07 PM
I second that emotion when it comes to Toronto, Kathryn, and have commented on that extensively myself from personal experience, as anyone who might want to dig through some of my previous posts on that subject can see for themselves...

danitvpe
02-14-2012, 12:27 PM
Thnx a lot ladys for ur help!! It's scarry to move so far away from home, needed that confirmation to know I'm in the right way.

And sorry again for my english, im still working on that.