PDA

View Full Version : "Are you waiting to try that on?"

jjjjohanne
02-10-2012, 11:05 PM
I was shopping today en drab (I had pantyhose on with shorts). I went to a consignment store. They only had household items and women's clothes. I picked out a dress and a skirt to try on. A teenager was in the dressing room. Another woman was shopping. The other woman asked me, "Are you waiting to try that on? You can go ahead of me." I've never had anything like that happen before.

Later, after I tried on the dress, while I was still holding it, the store owner walked past me and said in a hushed tone, "You can try that on." I said I already did. I ended up putting the dress back on and the nice customer and the store owner helped me select a belt to wear with it.

After some arguing with myself, I decided to buy the dress and the belt. Then, I wore it out of the store. I was in my man head, my (first) black dress, my belt, and my socks and men's tennis shoes. :) Not the most tasteful ensemble.

I went to a shoe store after this and tried on some heels with my dress. The dress is rather casual. It feels so nice to wear. It is not confining. I've never found a dress that I could afford that I felt like it would look good on me. Before I have only worn skirts and blouses or shorts/pants. This is my first dress!!!

I'm so happy tonight!

PretzelGirl
02-10-2012, 11:08 PM
Sounds like a great experience. People are generally going to be okay in my opinion. We just put thoughts into our heads because fear is easy to come by. But good for you doing it without hesitation. Somehow I think wearing hose and then wearing the dress out of the store without a complete transformation means you are quite comfortable. And that usually shines through and others pick it up. Thanks for the great story!

Marleena
02-10-2012, 11:15 PM
That is awesome! I'd be happy too.:) I love stories like this!

Jacqueline Winona
02-10-2012, 11:16 PM
that is a great experience! Congratulations on the dress and acceptance!

jjjjohanne
02-11-2012, 07:44 AM
Sounds like a great experience. People are generally going to be okay in my opinion. We just put thoughts into our heads because fear is easy to come by. But good for you doing it without hesitation. Somehow I think wearing hose and then wearing the dress out of the store without a complete transformation means you are quite comfortable. And that usually shines through and others pick it up. Thanks for the great story!

I have found that my fear is of people finding out. Once they know, my fears are gone and I am bold. I never transform. Being seen as a girl doesn't mean that much to me. I just love their clothes!

One of the women asked me "What are you going for?" when I was asking for some advice. I didn't know how to answer her. What does that question mean?

I am considering going back to the store in my dress and some heels this week. I will probably offer to come back some day and volunteer while dressed and see if the store owner seems interested in some unusual free labor. It worked once before and it was GREAT!

monalisa
02-11-2012, 09:04 AM
You should go back every week now and see if new dresses came in.

Melissa Cross
02-11-2012, 09:21 AM
Great experience....
It is such a wonderful feeling to have a SA reach out and help and it's really great to have other shoppers be friendly too. I have received a lot of help and advice from SAs at various women's stores.

Cheryl T
02-11-2012, 09:52 AM
See, there are nice people out there.
I've found that people will treat you considerately if you act respectfully and with dignity.

That's the kind of day that makes you feel so good inside.

Jenny Doolittle
02-11-2012, 11:28 AM
Shopping consignment shops are like going on a treasure hunt. Always fun to find that treasure you never expected to find

Girl
02-11-2012, 11:41 AM
That's so wonderful! I always find that store assistants are very friendly and helpful when it comes to trying on clothes. (It took me many wasted years of shopping to get up enough courage to ask, though.)

Chari
02-11-2012, 12:37 PM
Thank you for sharing your great shopping experience! Being honest with most people including SAs in most stores, is usually the best action. Being scared "someone will know your hidden feminine secret" is just in your mind. Most others don't really look or care about what you are wearing or trying on. Going to thrift stores is another place to find "bargins" in almost any size, color, and material, and you can try on in private whatever you desire. As for the question "what look are you going for?", IMO it usually means "is your outfit for a dinner, party, wedding, just casual, or are you adding to your wardrobe?".

Silentpartner GG SO
02-11-2012, 12:43 PM
. As for the question "what look are you going for?", IMO it usually means "is your outfit for a dinner, party, wedding, just casual, or are you adding to your wardrobe?".

yep, you got it nailed there

Janelle_C
02-11-2012, 01:01 PM
That's such a great story I'm glad to see such confidence it makes me have more confidence in my self.

docrobbysherry
02-11-2012, 02:40 PM
Wow! I'm so impressed with this girl's courage, I'm going to personally nominate Quadruple J for Cd.com's, "Bravest Girl of the Week", award!

Strut your stuff, girl! I think you're IT! Please post more of your experiences. This one was so positive and encouraging!

Rachel Morley
02-11-2012, 03:02 PM
I never transform. Being seen as a girl doesn't mean that much to me. I just love their clothes!Even though I do like to dress fully I do understand that you just love the clothes! Women's clothes are so much more interesting and varied than mens' and they for sure feel different on your body when you wear them :)

sexygal
02-11-2012, 08:50 PM
I've done that a couple of times. Bought a skirt suit and had to have the hem adjusted. Was wearing male clothes at the time, but with hose underneath. Had the shoes I was planning on wearing with the skirt with me and ended up wearing the skirt out the door with the shoes. From the waist down I was a woman and waist up a man.

jjjjohanne
02-12-2012, 03:39 PM
I have gone shopping and found something I love. After wearing it a few minutes, I started getting the notion and ended up walking out of the store wearing my newly bought clothes. I thanked the customer who turned out to be a friend of the store's owner. She told me she used to know someone who was "of an alternative lifestyle" who died and she decided to become more accepting of people. All I know is that she treated me like I was important and normal. I appreciated her kindness.

When I was checking out, there was a man at the counter. I walked up beside him and waited to pay. We said hi. Later, I looked his way and he and I met eyes again. He seemed different. I think he didn't realize he was standing by a man in a dress the first time. I suppose he realized what was going on and had to figure out if he wanted to stay put and risk people thinking he was with me. :) I have been out enough that it didn't freak me out. I just looked away and went about my business. In retrospect, I'm a little surprised with myself.

Joey

Kim_Bitzflick
02-12-2012, 05:50 PM
That is too cool. I don't think I could go out with my man head. I'm glad you had a good experience.

Vickie_CDTV
02-13-2012, 06:18 AM
Wow, now that is brave, especially wearing the dress out while presenting male! How did they know it was not for your wife or something, did they notice your legs in pantyhose?

jjjjohanne
02-13-2012, 07:10 AM
Wow, now that is brave, especially wearing the dress out while presenting male! How did they know it was not for your wife or something, did they notice your legs in pantyhose?

Before I tried anything on, I asked the only other employee if they allowed men to try clothes on. I noticed the customer glance over. I thought I was being quiet, but perhaps not. She and I had been shopping near each other for 10 minutes. I may have looked like I was done shopping and was waiting for the dressing room.

The store owner might have just been experienced enough to know that I was shopping for myself.

In my experience, people normally do not notice pantyhose. I have worn darker shades and people have obviously noticed. The difference is significant. When I first started to wear them with shorts, I thought everyone could tell. But after wearing obvious hose, I realized that I was always stressed out for nothing. Often, people do not notice the darker shades. When people are shopping or heading somewhere, they are not as observant.

Karren H
02-13-2012, 11:30 AM
Awesome!! Bad economic times has been a boon for acceptance, imho.. Turning away or alienating paying customers in this environment is financial suicide!

jjjjohanne
04-16-2012, 06:17 AM
I suppose I should mention that I went back to the store in the dress and heels with my man head. It was very pleasant. I posted about it here (http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/showthread.php?170776-Last-outing-of-the-leg-shaving-season).

STACY B
04-16-2012, 06:44 AM
Its always better when there are not alot of people in the store they all get nicer with out the peer presure . Aleast thats what I think ? An for all the chix that are still in the closet an want to shop note to self ,,,,Once you find a store thats cool keep going back it gets better ,, Once they figured out your going to spend yull see alot of difference in the way your treated trust me . My SO an I go alot an they will walk by other folks to come an see me . When I walk in a few stores they holler across the store HAYYYYYYYYY .

BLUE ORCHID
04-16-2012, 06:50 AM
It just gets easier each time you go out shopping.

victoriasimmons78
04-20-2012, 11:51 PM
In my experience, people normally do not notice pantyhose. I have worn darker shades and people have obviously noticed. The difference is significant. When I first started to wear them with shorts, I thought everyone could tell. But after wearing obvious hose, I realized that I was always stressed out for nothing. Often, people do not notice the darker shades. When people are shopping or heading somewhere, they are not as observant.

I'm impressed. Question for you. Do you ever wear a skirt and hose while presenting as a man? If so, do people notice that? I would think if people don't notice hose with shorts then they may not even notice if you're in a skirt. Just wanted to hear about your experience so I can plan my next shopping trip.

Organza
04-21-2012, 01:50 AM
That's just lovely :) I'm so delighted that your first dress is associated with a happy experience.
Lisa

Jenniferpl
04-21-2012, 03:20 AM
Sounds like a great exerience.

Karen made a great point. By accepting you as you are, the store made a sale and by the sound of it, a loyal customer who will return again.

serinalynn
04-21-2012, 01:39 PM
I was shopping today en drab (I had pantyhose on with shorts). I went to a consignment store. They only had household items and women's clothes. I picked out a dress and a skirt to try on. A teenager was in the dressing room. Another woman was shopping. The other woman asked me, "Are you waiting to try that on? You can go ahead of me." I've never had anything like that happen before.

Later, after I tried on the dress, while I was still holding it, the store owner walked past me and said in a hushed tone, "You can try that on." I said I already did. I ended up putting the dress back on and the nice customer and the store owner helped me select a belt to wear with it.

After some arguing with myself, I decided to buy the dress and the belt. Then, I wore it out of the store. I was in my man head, my (first) black dress, my belt, and my socks and men's tennis shoes. :) Not the most tasteful ensemble.

I went to a shoe store after this and tried on some heels with my dress. The dress is rather casual. It feels so nice to wear. It is not confining. I've never found a dress that I could afford that I felt like it would look good on me. Before I have only worn skirts and blouses or shorts/pants. This is my first dress!!!

I'm so happy tonight!

Good Job JJJJohanne.

rita63
04-21-2012, 07:17 PM
I've been shopping in Thrift stores lately with friendly results. Just jeans and t's mainly but a couple of bras. Can't wait to find a dress it must be so cool for you and to leave the store dressed. Wow, someday I will. Thanks for the positive story keep on dressing.

hugs rita

katie_barns
04-21-2012, 08:12 PM
Ahhhh! I remember buying my first dress. I was in drab too. How exciting, good for you!

Thrift store and consignment stores are great. I have a consignment store that I patronize. The owner knows me well and always lets me know when she has something in my size. I have been there both in drab and dressed.