PDA

View Full Version : Video Gamers Fashion Sense

Jress
02-14-2012, 04:58 PM
Do you think men who plays all female characters and is constantly buying the latest fashion possible on MMO's, is secretly a crossdresser or don't know that they may like crossdressing?

I've seen this a lot and it is the same for every MMO I've ever made friends in.

Stitch
02-14-2012, 05:11 PM
I really doubt it. I play a lot of MMORPGs, and have many male friends, many of who play female characters. I really think your reading into it to much. Sure there's bound to be some crossdressers but I would imagine the general consensus is that if they are going to be staring at a character for hours on end it's going to be the gender they are attracted to. My brothers exact reason was "If i'm going to be staring at someone's back for thousands of hours of game play they should have a hot arse". I've also heard arguments for better job stats specified to one gender. Out of all my male MMORPG friends, I only knew one who played a girl who had crossdressing tendencies.

I generally play as a male character as it means that people leave me alone more. :) Food for thought. Sometimes, its just as simple as that.

Miranda-E
02-14-2012, 05:20 PM
Do you think men who plays all female characters and is constantly buying the latest fashion possible on MMO's, is secretly a crossdresser or don't know that they may like crossdressing?

I've seen this a lot and it is the same for every MMO I've ever made friends in.

playing female characters, no. its just done. and a lot of it is just the look of the game models. the Lara Croft effect.

now the bolded part. yes I do think they are CD's. OCD collecting is part of MMO's but the guy playing female character with a huge feminine vanity item collection isn't just looking at the female night elf's butt.

Apsalara
02-14-2012, 05:38 PM
Everyone gives this reason, I just don't know if I buy it. While I don't agree that they are all CD on the inside, I think that if you're staring at your character while playing, you're doing it wrong. When I play, I am looking everywhere but the backside of my character.

This is your avatar, the version of yourself that represents you to others in a virtual world... Your situation awareness while you stare at an armored ass will be shot if your reasoning is "I stare at their asses, so I want a female ass." The only reason I see to play female is if you the like clothing options and/or attentions you get from being a female. Liking the clothing doesn't necessarily make you CD.

My first game, I was forced into being female, because in Diablo, only females could be sorceress. When I moved on to Ultima Online, I continued being female because my good friend said it taught a lot role playing the opposite sex, plus they weren't limited like men on what armor, so every item that dropped, I could use. And it was fun, until a guy started falling in love with me...

After that, I just played male characters, until recently, but always liked the latest and prettiest armor, collected all the vanity items.

That all said, there are a lot of CDs that do play girls and prefer it. The Second Life community has vast amounts. However, how many are real, and how many are just trolls looking for reactions are hard to say.

Imeni
02-14-2012, 06:03 PM
As an avid gamer, it usually depends on the game/situation/my mood.

If you look at a game like Mass Effect, where your actions have a direct affect on the gameplay, I play a woman because nothing is scarier than a really mad woman.
Online such as World of Warcraft or The Old Republic, I've been using the same architype since the very beginning where I'd rather spend hours of my time staring at the bum of a woman than a broad shouldered man.
Other games like Super Metroid, you're forced to play Samus Aran, who IS female. But I also enjoy the Legend of Zelda series where the main character is male.

I wouldnt look too much into it. Some might, sure. I liked being a woman in Star Wars Galaxies because you could have an array of dresses, skirts, tops, shoes in a variety of colors. ;D I had three homes just for clothes. ^_^

Loretta
02-14-2012, 07:27 PM
As an avid gamer, it usually depends on the game/situation/my mood.

If you look at a game like Mass Effect, where your actions have a direct affect on the gameplay, I play a woman because nothing is scarier than a really mad woman.
Online such as World of Warcraft or The Old Republic, I've been using the same architype since the very beginning where I'd rather spend hours of my time staring at the bum of a woman than a broad shouldered man.
Other games like Super Metroid, you're forced to play Samus Aran, who IS female. But I also enjoy the Legend of Zelda series where the main character is male.

I wouldnt look too much into it. Some might, sure. I liked being a woman in Star Wars Galaxies because you could have an array of dresses, skirts, tops, shoes in a variety of colors. ;D I had three homes just for clothes. ^_^
Wait... Samus is a GIRL????

Just kidding.
If it helps any, according to a 2006 poll taken by Electronic Gaming Magazine, 6% of male gamers pose as a female online.

taĆ­s
02-14-2012, 08:15 PM
I think there are a lot of reasons to play with a female character, most of them stated by the other posts. in a MMO, I believe it has more to do with a cute/sexy connection than crossdressing.

as for myself, since Blaze from Streets of Rage (1991 omg) I always play with a female character when available. <3

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/53/Streets_of_Rage_%28Mega_Drive%29_character_select_ animation.gif

JenniferForFun
02-14-2012, 08:29 PM
Yup nothing like a naked female wood elf running by in EQ ha. I played a female in EQ not only because she was much sexier, people gave me stuff ALL the time !!!! Never as a male. I would have to beg just to sell something as a male. I had tons of fun playing a female and even my male main only had dresses (robes) on. Then I always wanted to CD but it never happened. look at me now hehe
Cheers

DCChris
02-14-2012, 08:31 PM
I don't think there's any relationship. Most guy avatar looks really suck. A lot of guys would rather look at a female avatar in game than some guys rear end.

Ava Tryptyk
02-14-2012, 10:26 PM
I used to play Roonscape and there were tons of males who played female characters. Part of it was that there was a minor tactical advantage (there was a "female" type of armor that could only be worn by females, although female characters could also wear the male armor too). But the main reason was that playing as a female character got you more attention. For people who just crave attention, this was beneficial because more people would talk to you and want to have conversations to you. For people who are actually more into playing the game and gaining levels, etc, players are more likely to give away money and items to female characters. Roonscape is pretty strict about not allowing any kind of "cybering" (they have a strict chat filter that censors most suggestive words), but when I played it was common for male and female characters to occupy the same tile, remove their armor and start "kissing".

I don't think that most of those characters were crossdressers...they either just liked looking at the female avatars or wanted the attention/monetary benefits.

Edit: I had to change the spelling of the name of this game in order for it not to be censored...why is the name of this game censored on these boards?

Elexia
02-14-2012, 10:55 PM
Myself, I play either/or! On WoW, my main character is a female blood elf, very sexy! Where on SW:ToR I play a male. For me, it mainly all depends on how I feel when I make the character! When I think about it, I think I started playing more female characters after play diablo 2, the assassin class was awesome!

KaTanya
02-14-2012, 11:55 PM
Diablo II is sort of wierd exception. I love the Amazon, but it's mostly because as a character class, they're pretty awesome. That said, I didd enjoy going into chat rooms with a Zon wearing Rattlecage armor... That deep purple plate mail was sexy...

Didn't really dig most of the other classes. The Necromancer was good for supporting other players, and the Asassin had its moments, but the Amazon is my true love for that game.

retrofitme
02-15-2012, 02:24 PM
I generally play female characters in the games I play (FPS not MMO) because the female characters are generally faster, smaller, and harder to shoot. :)

Jress
02-15-2012, 03:11 PM
playing female characters, no. its just done. and a lot of it is just the look of the game models. the Lara Croft effect.

now the bolded part. yes I do think they are CD's. OCD collecting is part of MMO's but the guy playing female character with a huge feminine vanity item collection isn't just looking at the female night elf's butt.

Your answer is spot on my own thoughts. Thanks for highlighting what I was describing.
I know lots of male avatars usually are dull while females get lots of attention in design.
I know lots of males who play female avatars that almost never change style or have much of an appeal to them.

This is about those who have a large selection of outfits or someone that has a super girly girl character.

Violetgray
02-15-2012, 03:49 PM
Simply put, that which is a roaring flame in crossdressers, smolders faintly inside of all "normal" men.

Erin Lorelei
02-15-2012, 04:26 PM
I have only recently discovered my love for crossdressing, but let me assure you that I have played MMOs for a long time. And while I play varied characters, I often find myself trying to roleplay as that character, rather than just play them. So, my Assassin in D2 was my extension. I wore the prettiest armor and enjoyed it. Guild Wars saw my monk do the same. The only change was WoW, where my main is a Dranei Shaman male, because I loved the premise for the character.^.^

Erin Lorelei
02-15-2012, 04:47 PM
They are Massive Multiplayer Online games, typically in the role playing genre.^.^

Secret_Dresser
02-15-2012, 05:00 PM
I myself have played a tonne of MMORPGs from Roonescape, up to Star Wars:The Old Republic. The main reason why I played a female character depended on the game.

Roonescape - Monetery Gains.
World Of Warcraft - Certain classes felt "right".
Perfect World International - Purely the vanity clothing, I always kept thinking how much I wanted to try item A or B on.
Star Wars:The Old Republic - A badass female is awesome.

As you can see only 1 shows my CD side. The majority of these games I no longer play for various reasons.

Daphne Renee
02-15-2012, 05:09 PM
In many games I just like the female character better. In some games they tend to be more balanced. In some instances I am sure you are right but I dont think it has a direct connection though.

Katelyn B
02-15-2012, 05:57 PM
One of my friends, who is not a TG in any way, always plays a female character, his reason (since they're nearly all 3rd person perspective) is if he's going to be spending hours at a time staring at someones behind, he wants it to be a woman.

Jennifer8
02-15-2012, 06:04 PM
I saw this n thought you were asking how gamers like to dress :D

Secret_Dresser
02-15-2012, 06:06 PM
Thanks for that. I have never tried one. I would probably be killed on day one whilst working out how to draw my sword.

You would think so but currently alot of MMORPGs tend to follow the same formula, be it gameplay or simply controls. Usually drawing your weapon only happens when you want to attack so you cant lose. :P

Imeni
02-16-2012, 01:23 AM
I saw this n thought you were asking how gamers like to dress :D

I like that too! Although, to be fair, I feel that i have a completely different personality when I play my games. One of my friends, my roommate, has commented on the fact that when I play my video games, I get... mad easily. Some days, I take it with a simple "Meh" and continue on with it. Then there are other days where, well, I almost rage. I've never gotten to the point where I throw my controller at my tv but, my couch as taken a beating. So I don't generally dress up to sit on the couch. Half the time, its just me in a pair of my sweatpants. Cause I'm a hermit. I don't leave my house. ;)

Erin Lorelei
02-16-2012, 02:44 AM
I would love to dress and play games, but my lazy side says to stay in my comfy PJs! ;) Plus, I just don't know how my roommate would react! :P

Secret_Dresser
02-16-2012, 10:30 PM
I get... mad easily. Some days, I take it with a simple "Meh" and continue on with it. Then there are other days where, well, I almost rage. I've never gotten to the point where I throw my controller at my tv but, my couch as taken a beating.

I would love to say I'm the same, and mostly I am. One controller shall R.I.P haha. Safe to say I havnt touched that game since ^^ which is good imo.