PDA

View Full Version : Weight Issues

Leanne2
02-15-2012, 10:56 AM
I'm a 62 year old M to F non-op transgender woman. Five years ago I self medicated with Spiro and Estrofem for 5 or 6 months. I loved the changes but because of this forum I stopped my HRT. It was just an unsafe thing to do outside of a doctor's care. Anyway, I'm about 50 lbs overweight and I'm having a hard time getting back in shape. My diet isn't the best but it's not awful either. I don't smoke or drink. I also don't ever drink soda, coffee, or tea. I know, the last two would probably be good for me but I just don't like them.
Until my shoulder injury I had been going to the gym 3 to 4 times a week for an hour at a time. I start with 30 minutes on the elliptical doing the Mercola Peak 8 routine. My heart rate varies from 110 to 145 and I work up a pretty good sweat. After that I spend 30 minutes on the weight machines doing 10 reps with as much weight resistance that I can do.
Because I'm trying to stay married, I'm not out to my GP. He said it was strange that I can't loose any weight. He said he might want me to take extra T. My last labs indicated that I was naturally low with a reading of 273. My glucose is 99 and hemoglobin is 6.1. I have to decide if I should come out to my GP and ask for HRT or let him prescribe T to get me back into the normal range for a male.
My question is can female or male HRT help me get healthy again? My wife and I have been married 36 years and we won't let each other go. She won't let me start HRT without leaving me and I can't stand the thought of loosing her. I love her very much! I bet I'm not the only one walking this tightrope. Thank you for letting me vent. Leanne

Julia_in_Pa
02-15-2012, 11:11 AM
Leanne,

HRT will increase your weight while also increasing your risks for a variety of different health issues ranging from shortness of breath to blood clots.

I've been on HRT for eleven years and have experienced more than my share of significant weight gain during that time for which I've had to monitor and correct.

Male HRT I assume you are meaning testosterone injections. It is a well proven fact that attempting to correct Gender Identity Disorder in MTF transsexuals by the use of hormone therapy is an utter and complete failure.
Studies have proven that the feelings of confusion and panic grow stronger due to introducing additional testosterone into the system.

Julia

Leanne2
02-15-2012, 11:55 AM
Thanks for the reply Julia. I want to find out the best way to get healthy physically and mentally. Can that ever happen for transgendered women? Leanne

Inna
02-15-2012, 12:02 PM
Leanne, the light of self shines brightly within each one of us, however often this beacon of hope and love is overshadowed by thick dark clouds of responsibility, obedience, compliance, and yearning for companionship. It is up to us to choose, however, if status quo of comfortable submission to fear is chosen, we shall dwell in life lived for others.
I know these words are harsh, and love broken is simply the most excruciating anguish I know of, but love is immaculate, and within it there is no place of ownership, nor control. Thru love we let people be who they are, we let go of ownership of any kind :chained:.

I haven't touched on a diet, but I don't think that diet was on your mind, but if so, I am sorry to go off the subject.
I have lived through the loss, and diet and all the things transgender and must say that, letting go is the hardest to do, but then once done, the freedom of being SELF for once, is indescribably beautiful.

Eat less! Do not exercise with heavy weights, when T is still present in your system it will stimulate muscle regeneration. Low calorie, or calorie deprivation works only when applied without exercise (such as gym workouts or running), exercise such as walking is always perfect preferably in high NineWest heels :facepalm: .
Do low calorie diet without counting calories :idontknow:, I know, an oxymoron, but focusing on calorie count takes all the fun away and wholesome nutrition is not in the calories but in the type of foods you eat. Estimate, portion control is the must, fold your fist and that is the size of each of your meals, that's that, simply no more. Eat several times during day without succumbing to traditional breakfast, lunch, dinner those are invented by a lifestyle not nature!
Multiple times such as 5,6 7 or what ever works, in between the meals try to stretch hunger filled feeling for longer, controlled starvation prolong life span (scientifically proven).
You will lose strength, will become thin but when at the desired natural weight, strength will return and feeling of lightness and pleasure in self will emerge.

I know it works and becomes a pleasant lifestyle, I have lost 60lbs over period of 3 years, not a quick diet (non of quick fixes work) but the weight stays put and energy is grand, I can shake my tush Profusely for hours!

Wish you the best, and thinnest, Inna

Julia_in_Pa
02-15-2012, 12:09 PM
Yes it can Leanne but it takes a concerted effort on various fronts including physical and mental.
After five years of living full time I think I have been trough the worst but what is even more harrowing is not doing anything at all Leanne.
By you asking questions I think your well underway to keeping yourself both mentally and physically healthy.
I'm here for you.

Julia

Thanks for the reply Julia. I want to find out the best way to get healthy physically and mentally. Can that ever happen for transgendered women? Leanne

Traci Elizabeth
02-15-2012, 03:59 PM
Weight gain is a good thing in my mind while on HRT as the new fat distributes in the typical female locations: butt, thighs, breasts, and upper arm areas. The key though is to loose that male fat around your waist without loosing your female acquired fat. There was a long YouTube video over a year ago made just for MTF transsexuals that came out of Thailand it showed many exercises that would led specifically to thinning your waist drastically. It is great and I live by it.