PDA

View Full Version : So today, I found out my father is a crossdresser!

CloserthanthisGG
02-16-2012, 01:28 AM
I haven't spoken to my father in decades. Literally decades. I felt that he had abandoned my mom and my sister and I for pretty much my whole life. He would write us letters when he was clean and sober throughout my childhood. He would pretty much decorate every word on the page and use fun stationary... Underlining things he thought were important, use lots of exclamation marks, using 15 colors of pens, draw pictures around words... sometimes with glitter. I thought this was because we were kids and he was trying to be entertaining, but it continued to adulthood. I mostly ignored all of his attempts to communicate with me because I had decided that he was everything I didn't want to be. A drug addict, an alcoholic, an abandoner.

But about maybe a month before I started talking to Lisia again, I started actually becoming interested in learning about this man who contributed half of my DNA, cynically referring to him as my "sperm donor". After my mom had died, he reeeeeeally upset my sister and I, so he was pretty much dead to me too. Long story, entirely irrelevant to my story here today. But a friend of mine recently told me that forgiveness is not for them, it's for you. So, I started talking a bit to him.

I reposted something a day or so ago on facebook because it was very amusing to me for lots of reasons. But one of them is because it sounded like something a crossdresser would say, instead of how the original poster meant it... It said "Sweetie, if you're going to be two faced, at least make sure one of them is pretty!" And so my sperm donor commented "Oh if you only knew about my 'other' face" So I asked "How pretty is your 'other' face, then?" kind of a jab at him hurting me, kind of also an honest inquiry because he's been constantly commenting on all of my pretty outfits in great detail. His reply was something like "Well, it's not the same as back in the day, but..." and kind of rambled...

He's also always saying now how much I am just like him. Everything I write on fb, and that I look just like him... which is true. I take more after him than my mom... but mom had severe issues with depression and one manic episode that I remember. Dad told me that he is bipolar too. So. Wow. Where does that leave me? With really bad anxiety disorders and one year long or so bout with depression, which I am glad to say is over now!! YAY! :D I think I waaay prefer panic attacks to just feeling like that all the time.

So anyway, he said he would send me a hint at my email address. I thought maybe I was just reading into what he was saying because crossdressing is too close to my heart right now, too familiar... and now I look for it everywhere. I look for crossdressers at the stores so I can smile at them. I saw someone walking in the rain in a long trenchcoat recently that looked like they could be male or female and wondered what they were wearing under the long rain coat because that weather seemed like a perfect opportunity to just go for a walk without being too obvious. :)

But I asked anyway. His hint was a picture of a swimsuit model. I asked if he was trying to say he liked swimsuit models or if he wanted to be one?

I said if you're trying to tell me you're a crossdresser, it's cool. I wouldn't be weirded out at all. It would actually explain a lot, and I'm actually a member of a crossdressing forum, for reasons that I would explain later, if he confirmed that that's what he was on about.

Soooooooo, his response was incredible. "Crossdressing? Who, me??!" was the subject. Pink Hello Kitty background on the email, and he took the time to of course, embellish everything in his usual manner. But it was sooooo weird. I wish I could post it here. It was so unexpected.

The other night, I had my head in Lisia's lap. He had boobies on and everything. Wig, full nine yards. Leaned down to kiss me a few times with boobs pressing in my face and he was like, "I can't believe that you don't find this strange at all." I didn't remember my response, but he's sitting here with me, and said "I think it was 'find what strange?'" because I didn't know what he was talking about.

Well, I didn't know why it wasn't strange, or why things like that don't bother me.

I wish that I could post it here. I think... Well, it was just too perfect. It was a huge mind blowing experience. So many things have occurred to me today. OH THAT'S Why X, Y and Z.

I have always been attracted to feminine looking guys. I am so madly in love with David Bowie. Robert Smith. Morrissey. Any guy in eyeliner. I have always loved Rocky Horror. I have had many theories as to why this is the case. Ranging from a need to feel like the dominant person in a relationship because of various childhood events, or because, as my father had said on many occasions "your mom wears the pants in the family in more ways than one..." and we all seek out men who are like our dads, regardless of whether we like them or not...

But my father said in the email that he had considered a sex change operation in the 70's before I was born, and living in a different town as a woman and holding a job there...

That my mother didn't know, she saw him once out driving while he was working, dressed as a woman. And he couldn't believe that she never told me. But she didn't. He said that I am everything that he ever wanted to be. And that is some weird kind of like acceptance(?) from the father I never knew. But... I am both surprised by this revelation, him as a crossdresser, and also relieved.

It's such an unusual feeling. I mean there is no other thing that I could compare it to.

I wanted to post about it here, to see what other people thought about my attraction to crossdressers, feminine looking men, and the fact that my father, whom I barely ever knew at all, haven't seen since I was about 8 years old, barely saw twice a year before that, IS a crossdresser. Is it in my genes? Is it something I somehow sensed as a small child? How are attractions really formed? How are we affected by things we know nothing of? So many questions?!?!

Violetgray
02-16-2012, 01:41 AM
Someone with your tastes is a boon to all crossdresser-kind. I would say there is no inherent correlation between your attraction and your father's influence, but you have to wonder sometimes. Gayness runs STRONG in my family, specifically on my mother's side. So it could be that for some people at least, sexuality or gender preference may have a biological influence..

CloserthanthisGG
02-16-2012, 01:53 AM
Just now it was occurring to me that maybe it was the gender identity confusion thing that might be genetic? My mom was a very masculine woman. She never wore dresses. Dressed simply, never wore makeup, wore plain white bras, etc. No nonsense. My dad is feminine, has long curly hair and apparently has always liked dresses. Both my sister and I considered ourselves bisexual for a period of time at least. Sometimes I think I am part man on the inside. I relate better to men, women just confuse me usually. And they usually dislike me. Except for lesbians and women who people would say are masculine and strong. It's really got me thinking...

Persephone
02-16-2012, 01:55 AM
Wow! That has GOT to be mindboggling! And I can certainly understand all of your feelings and what you are going through.

I suspect it is going to take a long time to figure all of that out, but one thing is for sure, it sounds like you and Lisia are very much in love with one another and maybe that is what really matters most?

Hugs,
Persephone.

drag n fly
02-16-2012, 07:05 AM
Very interesting post. Your father sounds as though he has lived a very disturbing life..I'm guessing he is more than just a crossdresser. He said he contemplated SRS back in the 70's...and has lived as a woman. All this conflict might be some of the reason for his addiction to mood altering drugs..I sense that he is feeling some guilt/remorse at his behavior in the past and is having difficulty expressing it. This sure is interesting..and very well could have some influence on your present day proclivities. Then again, your love of feminine men could be sourced elsewhere...You sound happy...I like your willingness to get to know your dad...and to keep an open mind. Good for you...Smooches Jackie

Kate Simmons
02-16-2012, 08:46 AM
The key to all of it Hon is to just be yourself and be appreciated for that. The external view of us that others see is just a quick snapshot. Really knowing another person(and what is in their heart) is a challenge most are not up to.:)

monique01
02-16-2012, 09:22 AM
Excuse me if I missed something but who is Lisia?

Lisia
02-16-2012, 09:36 AM
Hello, that would be me.

RADER
02-16-2012, 09:44 AM
This might explain why your Father left the marriage, possible that your mother
forced him out because of his wanting to dress. Just a thought.
Rader

Babeba
02-16-2012, 09:53 AM
There are lots of reasons why some women prefer plain clothes, that is not necessarily a masculine trait... And I think there are a few GG partners on here who found out later in life who seem to focus on practicalities rather than the frivolities stereotypically associated with our gender, almost as a coping mechanism... So I would say it is possible that your mother was reacting to how she perceived your father in how she dressed, rather than being FTM herself. On the other hand, even if neither admitted it, it is possible they felt a kindred spirit with each other, to do with gender confusion. There is a couple on here who have both transitioned, but have been together since before they realized their natures. It is more rare than the first situation.

Foxglove
02-16-2012, 11:25 AM
Hello, Closerthanthis! Sorry, I can't answer any of the questions you asked at the end of your post. Maybe someone else can.

I just wanted to say I think you have an opportunity here. There may be a possibility that your dad would be willing to talk about things, things that might help you understand what was going on in the early part of your life.

If it were me, I'd be making up a long list of questions. There's lots of things I'd like to ask my dad. Like, what exactly was going on when I was a kid? But he's not the sort who'd want to talk about stuff like that. I'd like to ask questions because I'm the type that likes to understand things. I don't like mysteries, not if they can be cleared up or at least partially answered.

But it's up to you, of course. People are different, and you may not feel like asking your dad anything. I'm just speaking for myself: I'm the type that likes to know what's going on, insofar as possible.

CloserthanthisGG
02-16-2012, 01:43 PM
This might explain why your Father left the marriage, possible that your mother
forced him out because of his wanting to dress. Just a thought.
Rader

I think it was all the drugs and alcohol really. And the fact that he couldn't hold a job. It was not a very pretty childhood. I remember several times in several different apartments, trailers, and one rental house, coming home from school to find she had thrown him out, and put all of his things out on the lawn. I remember one time, he was outside, yelling up at all of us that he loved us... but I know he was drunk or high at the time and he probably doesn't even remember it. Mom just turned the tv up. But I am thinking that the drugs and alcohol may have originally been an escape. I never once saw my parents happy together, and they were both emotionally challenged.

Barbara Ella
02-16-2012, 02:13 PM
This is really a very detailed, intertwined story that does present you with several opportunities should you choose to follow any. The drugs and alcohol are an escape, but from what? Did they make the marriage bad, or did the marriage go bad from the dressing, or what? Did guilt over dressing drive him to the drugs etc., which then ruined the marriage. You may never find out, and it may never be important enough for you to pursue, I cant address your interests.

I can see where his cross dressing disposition could provide some answers for your preferences, which i find completely normal in a healthy normal person. My wife has become a minimalist in our later years, but was definitely not so in her youth. Maybe I have reacted by becoming more feminine, or maybe her reaction was tuned to my increased femininity? Who knows.

Important thing is that you and Lisa stay happy.

Babes

DonnaT
02-16-2012, 02:27 PM
Sounds more like he didn't really abandon you, but was kicked out and not let back in. Hard to say for sure, but he could probably set the record right.

But if your mother was strong willed enough, and got fed up with his use of drugs and alcohol, and being unable to hold a job very long, she probably gave him an ultimatum he couldn't reach.

As for your attraction to/interest in crossdressers or feminine men, it could be a genetic predisposition, much the same as being straight or gay is a genetic predisposition. Your certainly not the first nor will you be the last to feel that way.

Sammy777
02-16-2012, 03:55 PM
I can definitely relate to your relationship with your dad.
Sometimes easier said then done, but if you can put aside what he was and what you thought of him growing up you can move on to a new relationship with him.
I took me a long time to get past the history and BS and I was glad I did.
My only regrets after reconnecting with him was not doing it sooner and not letting him in as much as he wanted.

In your case - take his CD'ing as a way to start over and reconnect. :)

sterling12
02-16-2012, 06:05 PM
Most important point? Now that you know your Father's Secret; is this The Beginning of a new relationship between the two of you?

I suspect that you are now going to encounter a different personality. Someone who will become more "open," and perhaps someone you could like a whole lot more! I think you should be prepared for significant changes in your relationship with your dad. Will it be good or bad? I don't know, and wouldn't even hazard a guess. I'm just advising you to act like a Boy Scout: "Be prepared."

Peace and Love, Joanie

Sophie_C
02-16-2012, 07:47 PM
If you haven't seen "All About My Mother", by Almovodar (which won Cannes and an Oscar) yet, it seems right up your alley :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oc9pM6SiVOU

CloserthanthisGG
02-16-2012, 10:14 PM
Oh wow! I need to see this movie!

sandra-leigh
02-16-2012, 11:16 PM
Oh wow! I need to see this movie!

It is a very good movie, but it is strange in the way that only a Spanish director paying homage to a roman director (Fellini) can be. Do not expect it to be light fare. It is one of his films that is my favorite, but deciding between his films is difficult, like trying to decide whether sweet cherries are always better than bitter cranberries. (I have seen more of his films than most people have, but still have several to go.)

Julogden
02-17-2012, 12:26 AM
I think it's probably impossible to say with certainty why you're attracted to feminine guys, but it certainly is tempting to think along the lines you're thinking along, makes sense to me anyway.

But in the end, it doesn't really matter. Just do what you enjoy doing as long as it isn't hurting anyone. :)

In my case, my daughter learned about my dressing when she was around 20 (if my rusty memory serves) as she asked if she could move in with me. I should explain that her mother and I divorced when she was very young, but I maintained a close relationship with my two kids.

Anyway, at the time, I was very actively dressing and going out to support group activities and just going out to places where we local CD's hung out. I knew I wouldn't be able to hide it from her, so I told her what was going on before she had moved in, and she was okay with it. She used to use my makeup and borrow my jewelry. We're still close, thankfully.

Years later, she too got involved with someone who was transgendered, although in her case, her partner decided to transition and became involved with a trans-man she met on-line, so that was the end of that.

Anyway, it is definitely very interesting that you've ended up liking feminine guys given your father's gender issues. Coincidence? Who knows. :)

Carol :hugs: