PDA

View Full Version : At My Age You Were....

Secret_Dresser
02-16-2012, 09:00 PM
Thought I'd start a topic other than in the intro section.

I have been thinking about how far I have come over the last while and I am quite surprised. I went into a lingerie shop such as Ann Summers and not felt odd. Not only that but I openly went into a shop bought some female clothing. A few weeks later bought more but tried it in the shop! This was a big deal for me.

I'm somewhat wondering whether I am behind or ahead of everybody else when they were 20 years old.

Don't feel you need to answer, just curious is all.

NathalieX66
02-16-2012, 09:06 PM
At 20, I was still sectretly experimenting with various pieces of my Mom's and sister's wardrobe, which I guess probablty started at age 6, never had the courage or the money to buy anything of my own.

GeminaRenee
02-16-2012, 09:07 PM
I believe you are ahead of where I was. Around age 20, I was furtively dashing into stores like Meijer & Walmart to buy hot pink lipstick and various items of hoisery, feeling as much shame as possible. I would then run home to put them on over unshaven legs and an unmade face, and browse the seedier side of the internet. What a savage I was! LOL

Glad to hear you're ahead of where I was! (: Life is too short and beauty too fleeting to waste time scared & guilt-ridden!

taís
02-16-2012, 09:19 PM
at 20 I got my own place, and then things really started to get going ^ ^

Sheila11
02-16-2012, 09:20 PM
At age 20 I had actually gone out for drives and walks and went into a couple of stores to buy something. Then life changed and I disappeared into the closet for 30 years. Still there but out more often now.

Suzy Parker
02-16-2012, 09:21 PM
At 20, I was still sectretly experimenting with various pieces of my Mom's and sister's wardrobe, which I guess probablty started at age 6, never had the courage or the money to buy anything of my own.

Pretty much the same story for me, I have been dressing as far back as I can remember.

docrobbysherry
02-16-2012, 09:27 PM
When I was 20, I was concentrating on getting laid and NOT getting drafted! At that time, and until I was age 50, I had no idea why a reasonably good looking guy would prefer to appear as a homely woman!

So, was I AHEAD or BEHIND u, SD!?

S. Lisa Smith
02-16-2012, 09:28 PM
Yep, me too. Of course as cave people we didn't wear much but animal skins...it was really hard to cross dress.

Brittany CD
02-16-2012, 09:29 PM
I'm 20 right now. I can't say I've been in a lingerie store yet

Dani Alana Taylor
02-16-2012, 09:42 PM
I'm only 18 right now but I'm not even close to that.... But good for you!

DCChris
02-16-2012, 10:06 PM
At 20 I had purged for about a year. It was another couple years before I started collecting and wearing in secret again, only after I married thinking that would 'cure' me .... guess what ...

Hollie
02-16-2012, 11:00 PM
Secret dresser, when I was 20, I was only into wearing thongs and panties. Forward 18 years later, and I'm only now starting to go en femme, but only in the house.

Hollie

Jacqueline Winona
02-16-2012, 11:12 PM
at 20, I was living in an on-campus apt. with several others who would have never understood dressing. But I had some stuff, just never the time to really use any of it.

DonnaT
02-16-2012, 11:45 PM
At 20 I had been out enfemme, but not out shopping. My wife was kind enough to furnish me with all I needed, including my first wig.

Vickie_CDTV
02-17-2012, 03:08 AM
I had bought a few things in person when I was 20, but it was awkward; I mostly mail-ordered things online. I had been out en femme a few times to trans group meetings.

Anna Abwaerts
02-17-2012, 04:58 AM
Was getting into girdles and hosiery, nervously shopping for those items and praying no-one recognizes me. Was living in dorms at that age, so it was hard to keep a stash, purged few times. Back and forth to *ending* it and giving into that desire and pink fog.

Karren H
02-17-2012, 06:48 AM
Being 20 is so long ago... I can't remember what I was doing.... But your comparing bras and girdles when you comparing 20 now and 20, 40 years ago....

jaglover
02-17-2012, 09:53 AM
When I was 20 there was no world wide web to buy from (and nobody had a computer), and no shop selling women's clothes or cosmetics in my town would have served a man without a lot of searching questions. It's all a lot easier for young'uns today (leans back in rocking chair).

Jess Marie
02-17-2012, 10:09 AM
We are close in age, but I am a wee bit younger. I'm not 20 until mid may. A peek in my closet would reveal dresses, skirts, blouses, etc. I have a panty drawer in my dresser, and a make up bag. Funny thing is, I live with my parents and 2 sisters and though I do nothing to hide it, no one knows.

But as far as what I do. I go out, frequently. I underdress 24/7, with some exceptions. I can browse Victorias Secret and any other store without feeling awkward. I can buy something and it may be awkward but it's all good.

RenneB
02-17-2012, 11:42 AM
At 20.... OMG that was a long time ago... LOL. Basically, I thought I was the only person in the world born this way. No internet, no computers for the home, no cell phones.. we had landlines with a party line. Yeh, I'm really that old. So I'd say with what you have today, it's a little easier being born this way...

You have no idea how lonely one can feel when you have these thoughts that you were supposed to be someone else. No one to talk to and no where to go... No regrets though, I did what I could with what I had. I did have mail order catelogs and I did pay by check for the items of clothing that I wanted but didn't have the nerve to go to a store.

Renne.....

sissystephanie
02-17-2012, 11:49 AM
When I was 20 I was in the U.S. Navy during the Korean War. So I wasn't crossdressing!! But I had before then and certainly did after my miltary service and still do!

Melissa_59
02-17-2012, 12:23 PM
When I was 20, I was an auto mechanic that was trying to put himself through engineering school. I worked two jobs and also took a full load at college (sleeping about 2 hours a night, if I got that much). I honestly didn't have time or energy to explore the feelings that hit me when I was about 10 years old. That time/energy/money didn't come until much later. Looking back, I wish I'd had a chance to explore this side of myself when I was younger.

JiveTurkeyOnRye
02-17-2012, 12:43 PM
I was still pretty closeted at 20. I would occasionally stroll into a VS and buy some underwear and sometimes when I got the courage go into a discount store and buy a skirt or dress under the guise of a costume or a gift for a girl. It wasn't till my mid twenties that I could make occasionally testing the waters outings to gay bars or transgendered nights, and not till I was 28 that I became completely comfortable being open and public about it all.

RADER
02-17-2012, 12:45 PM
At 20 I was in Nam, so dressing was frowned upon.
Now much later, and retired, I can dress as often as I want, and do.
Rader

Jocelyn Quivers
02-17-2012, 01:03 PM
You were far ahead of where I was at during that age. For me age 20, I was trying to become as big and strong as possible, I was actually trying to gain weight and increase my size. My male side was on a mission to completely and finally once and for all get rid the girl side permanently. Strange how things would turn completely around a couple years later.

dominique
02-17-2012, 02:10 PM
Me at 20 I was still living at home so I was still wearing my mum's clothes.

Anne2345
02-17-2012, 02:32 PM
When I was 20 years old, I believed I was a freak, and that I was an abomination of society. I also believed that I was very much alone, and that no one could possibly understand what I was going through. In this regard, there was very little education about transgender issues, and no support in my community. Boys wore blue and girls wore pink. Deviate at the risk of being cast out into social Siberia and beat up on the local school playground. The internet as we know it was still a gleam in some programmers' respective imaginations. I did not want to be who I was. I hated myself, and felt tremendous guilt over being transgendered. Eventually, however, I learned otherwise, and ultimately learned to accept myself. But my teens and early twenties were very difficult, indeed. Would that I had such resources as this forum available to me back in the day, it would have saved me much pain. I would have known that I was not alone, and that there are others such as I. I would have known that there is nothing inherently wrong with be transgendered. I would have known and recognized the immense beauty of femininity and femaleness much, much sooner than I actually did. And I have no doubt that I currently would be more comfortable with my public femme persona than I am today (although it is a work in progress :)).

BillieJoEllen
02-17-2012, 02:33 PM
When I was 19 I shopped for my first full set of women's clothes. I shopped at five different places. I bought a bra, panties, girdle, nylons, slip, skirt and blouse. I was a nervous wreck when I was done. After my shopping excursion I had to go to work. It was perhaps the longest 2nd shift in my life thinking about the bliss I would have 8 hours later.
Getting back, it was the first time I had ever gone shopping for anything female. My first purchase was a bra and girdle. I gave the SA some real lame excuse for what I was buying and why. Being it was in a dime store in a very small town I doubt whether the SA ever saw anyone like me before. If I would have been an oak tree at that time I would have lost all my leaves because I was shaking so much.
Shopping in later years has become much easier. I'm still a little nervous but I soon get over it.

carhill2mn
02-17-2012, 02:36 PM
An interesting question. Perhaps a bit behind where I was at that age (it is hard to remember that far back - LOL).

kellycan27
02-17-2012, 02:40 PM
At 20 I started living full time as a woman.

AllieSF
02-17-2012, 02:40 PM
At 20 I was trying to get good grades in college. It would take me another 40 years before I even knew that I liked to dress in women's clothing. So, from what I have read here I would say that you, being in the new younger wave of us girls here, are way ahead of the old school experiences. Since you are already going into stores to purchase and try on women's, or is that girl's?, clothes your future ability to continue enjoying and growing into who you are really looks promising. If you can stay away from the worrying, questioning, self doubts, fear shame and all the rest of the BS that most others have had to endure, keep your mind clear, positive and happy, you are going to have one great and fun ride through life. Go for it and enjoy the trip, not just the destination.

BRANDYJ
02-17-2012, 04:05 PM
At 20, 43 years ago, I had no idea what a transvestite was. I don't think the term crossdresser was even used back then. If it was, I never heard it. Did not even know that there were others like me, that wanted to wear female clothes. I was already married and had all but suppressed the urge to dress as my wife did not have a clue and I was not about to tell her. After a divorce and meeting the lady that would become my second wife some 5 years later, I told her about my desires. That prompted me to search for information which was very scarce and not easy to find like it is today via the Internet.
Those that are now age 20 at least have more information available then any of us born in the late 40's or 50's. So you are ahead of us in many ways you can't begin to appreciate.

KellyJameson
02-17-2012, 04:24 PM
By twenty I was heavy into the goth/metal/victorian look which still has great appeal to me but I'm trying to evolve into a more elegant, classical and tasteful appearance but it has been very difficult because clothes express my dark side.

ArleneRaquel
02-17-2012, 04:33 PM
At age 20 I on occasion dressed in lingerie & hose, very rarely I would wear dresses or outer female clothes.

kristinacd55
02-17-2012, 04:36 PM
When I was 20 I was so far in the closet......oh never mind lol. Let's just say I would've been terrified going in there!!

Actually though, I was the lead singer in a band and we did a ton of Bowie/Lou Reed so guess I expressed myself that way somewhat.

Stephanie47
02-17-2012, 04:43 PM
At age twenty I was trying on my mother's clothing when I could. I also thought I was a degenerate- a complete 'faggot!' Transvestites were thrown into the same category of anything and everything perverse in the world of sex. I thought getting drafted, serving in the infantry in combat in the Nam would man me up! It did not work. Funny thing though. Being en femme does help with PTSD.

Julie1123
02-17-2012, 04:46 PM
First, great thread.

Second, at 20 I had tried on panties a handful of times but had no clue that it was more than just a passing curiosity.

Nikki75
02-17-2012, 04:52 PM
At 20, I occasionally got en femme with the ex girlfriend. Didn't go out or anything.

STACY B
02-17-2012, 04:59 PM
When I was 20 years old, I believed I was a freak, and that I was an abomination of society. I also believed that I was very much alone, and that no one could possibly understand what I was going through. In this regard, there was very little education about transgender issues, and no support in my community. Boys wore blue and girls wore pink. Deviate at the risk of being cast out into social Siberia and beat up on the local school playground. The internet as we know it was still a gleam in some programmers' respective imaginations. I did not want to be who I was. I hated myself, and felt tremendous guilt over being transgendered. Eventually, however, I learned otherwise, and ultimately learned to accept myself. But my teens and early twenties were very difficult, indeed. Would that I had such resources as this forum available to me back in the day, it would have saved me much pain. I would have known that I was not alone, and that there are others such as I. I would have known that there is nothing inherently wrong with be transgendered. I would have known and recognized the immense beauty of femininity and femaleness much, much sooner than I actually did. And I have no doubt that I currently would be more comfortable with my public femme persona than I am today (although it is a work in progress :)). WOW thanx anne,, There is no way that I could have said it better ! But for everybody else ,,, ME TOO

paulaprimo
02-17-2012, 05:14 PM
i'm more than 30 years older than you and still haven't done those things, you are light years ahead of me...when i was 20, i thought there was something wrong with me and i was the only one in the world who thought like this. there were no support groups, no internet. it was a very lonely and scary time. letting someone else know could have been very hazardous to your health. very conservative times back then...living in those times have stalled my progress, kinda at a snails pace. i only wish that i was 20 now...oh how much fun i would be having!

Leana
02-17-2012, 05:38 PM
OMG! Had never worn makeup, had never bought any clothes of my own, was trying to fit into ex wife's panties and clothes, looking in the mirror.

Oh boy, have we come a long way!

Laura912
02-17-2012, 05:45 PM
Let's see, that would have been 1961...so far in closet that it was in another dimension. Second year of college. Geek. No clothes.
Laura

Cristi
02-17-2012, 09:18 PM
At 20 (that would be in the early 80s) I was still living with my parents and pretty much only dressing at home in my bedroom, or once in a while around the house when everybody was gone.

VERY occasionally, I would get out for a walk at night, but we knew all of our neighbors, so getting caught would have had serious consequences. At that age, I had not been out in public yet. That would not come for at least another 10 years.

SarahLynn
02-17-2012, 10:29 PM
"At My Age You Were...."

In Vietnam getting shot at. No time for dressing not that i wanted to anyway seeing as how i shared the quarters with about 75 other guys. My personel space amounted to one aluminium locker about 20 inches on a side and a bunk 19 inches wide and 6" long. The space between bunks (stacked 4 high) amounted to not more then 20 inches.

SarahLynn

Jenniferathome
02-17-2012, 11:28 PM
At 20 I was deep in the closet or deep in my girlfriend's closet at a minimum. Never went out. Didn't have a wig but experimented when I could

Barbara Ella
02-17-2012, 11:59 PM
Age 20??? So so long ago. 1966 was a good year, people were just starting to think about flower power, and the Summer of love to come in two years.

But me. Crap. Did not even know what cross dressing was. did not want to get into women's clothing unless there was a woman already in them, and even that didn't happen.

I feel like i have wasted 45 years of my life, but i guess i did avoid some intense guilt etc. that was most likely an even bigger problem back then. But knowing then what I know now, i would have grabbed that magic panty in a minute if it had been offered.

I envy the youth that are here, and the things you are doing, and what you have ahead of you, but I am so content in my own skin that i have no complaint whatsoever with what I am doing, and with what i have not done, but what I had better get my butt in gear and do.....

Babes

MercedesFantasy
02-18-2012, 12:16 AM
At 20... In university and only occasionally dressing. The only feminine clothes that I bought for myself were pantyhose, a nightie and a few camis. I was feeling very guilty and more than a little confused. The internet was just coming on the scene and I was trying to research that way. Problem was, I didn't find any sites like this one and all those naughty sites didn't help my guilt or confusion... A few years of lying low and dressing when I could (confused or not, I love wearing anything feminine!) and I started to figure things out.

Good luck and have fun!

Mercedes

Heather Daniels
02-18-2012, 12:36 AM
At 20, was on a hiatus from dressing. Too involved in other things to spend much time at this. BUT...and this is a BIG but.... I was convinced that I was a freak. Only guy in the world who could possibly be doing this. Although I'm not alone its still something that I have not overcome yet......30 years later. A lifetime of conditioning apparently takes another lifetime to overcome.

Misti
02-18-2012, 02:50 AM
I'm somewhat wondering whether I am behind or ahead of everybody else when they were 20 years old, ...just curious is all.
Very Interesting Question, SD, very interesting indeed! :daydreaming:

When I was 20, [Equivalent to my, i.e., Misti's second lifetime] I was concentrating on getting laid and NOT getting drafted!

SD, since you are in your first lifetime, I'd guess you are most probably quite a ways ahead of your peers at this stage of the game; Off-hand, I'd say you're possibly in the "Ivory percentage" range? But wait, that figure could be unfair; you being in your first lifetime, you probably don't have a clue as to what that means?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ivory_(soap See graphic)

FYI Ivory Soap produced one of the most memorable advertising slogans of all time with their “99 44/100ths percent pure” claim. MOF Ivory's first slogan "It Floats!" was introduced in 1891, which was way, way before my first lifetime, BTW. :devil:

To be more succinct, and thus more directly related to your question, this being my fourth lifetime (I'm only going on two (2) years old now!), I can't even begin to guess where I'll be when I get to be your age? One thing is for certain, though, because of all this wealth of information readily available (i.e., at "our" fingertips), about our proclivities, I'll be a "holy terror" if I keep progressing at my current rate of growth, you can take that to the bank, dear one. :drink:
BTW "As it takes one to know one," you just might turn out to be "one," too, at your current rate of growth? :2c:

Please do keep us posted, if you would be so kind; SD; you have an incredible adventure yet ahead of you, I'd venture to say (with an Ivory percentage chance of certainty); but then, on second thought, only after you've given yourself a more definitive, more appropriate, "new name?" :heehee:

L&R,
Misti

Beverley Sims
02-18-2012, 04:42 AM
:)A new thread for all, even if it is a derivative of other threads. Very interesting though.
At 20 I was a 98 pound weakling, the girls realised this and I got lots of sympathy.
Girls for me were the best thing since sliced bread.
More than a few times they would paint my face and it often progressed to fully made up.
I was a stunner in their eyes and was encouraged out on many nervous excursions.
Of course I did not want to do this and only did it begrudgingly. :)
The more I objected the more they insisted, and more than once I spent seven days dressed. I did a three week stint once and it felt weird to go back.
It would have been a different story if I had shown interest. So take care. Don't appear to enjoy it and it gets better. :)

Mollyanne
02-18-2012, 04:55 AM
When I was 20------What's the question again?????

Mollyanne

Kerstin
02-18-2012, 06:54 AM
At that age I was CD'ing only occasionally. I didn't have a name for what I was doing or what kind of person I was, I just knew that it felt right.

Tracy - new dresser
02-18-2012, 07:05 AM
im 21 now i only just this year started trying on clothes and shoes in the shop :) its the best feeling in the world ! hope to out to at least a CD freindly club this year :)

PretzelGirl
02-19-2012, 04:44 PM
Wow. When I was 20. Easy, I don't need a memory for this. I was int he Army just arriving at my first duty station. I was more concerned with fitting in then anything. And I was still 20+ years away from developing the "urge".

Ressie
02-19-2012, 06:00 PM
The first half of 1973 I lived with a couple of guys and their girlfriends. I remember hoping I would have a chance to get into the girl's panties but never did. The next 6 months I moved back with my parents and probably got into my mom and sister's clothes, but can't remember. Bought my first bra and panty set at Sears or Penneys at around 30.

nikki5
02-20-2012, 07:02 AM
At times you have the urge to do that kind of shopping, and when it comes you will do it come hell or high water

kimdl93
02-20-2012, 08:41 AM

That's pretty close to my expereinces at the time too.

StarrOfDelite
02-20-2012, 02:42 PM
At age 20 I was just back from 'Nam, in the final months of my USMC enlistment, and applying to colleges to attend on the GI Bill. I probably would've pulled out my kabar and sliced the cojones off anyone who even suggested I might be one of those faggot queer homo's who dressed up in women's clothes. I should've known better, The Times They Are A-Changing was one of my favorite songs even then.

Jamie2
02-20-2012, 03:06 PM
When I was 20, I was getting my first taste of traumatic stress.
Overseas and not enjoying getting shot at.. Tough times when your 20.

Jamie2