PDA

View Full Version : Apartment Hunting Considerations?

sarahgk
02-17-2012, 05:19 AM
I'm currently working temporarily overseas and before I left I was living in a month to month temporary lease apartment and now all my stuff is in storage. I'll be back in my old job (that I only worked 2 months so far in) later this year and have been trying to kill some time and homesickness by looking at future apartments when I get back. I've found plenty places in my price range in different styles and locations and am not really sure what would be best for me. This will be my first apartment besides that temporary housing apartment that I'll live in my myself and I was only just starting to get out in girl mode to my support group and stuff before I left and want to be able to do so when I get back. I'm going to be working in downtown Omaha and I'm torn between the ease of a fast commute and the fear that it'll be less safe to get out in girl mode if I live in one of the towers or complexes downtown. The temporary housing was about a 30 minute drive to work which wasn't too bad so I think I'd be fine in renting like a townhouse or something within that distance. I'm really afraid of having to deal with strange neighbors in narrow hallways while in girl mode, but I might be unjustified in those fears, what do you think?

Without considering tg stuff I'd probably be happier being close to work as it'd save me money and maybe give me incentive to bike to work. Also the apartment complexes do offer a lot of nice features like some paid utilities and typically more professional management. Buying a home isn't really in my plans as I don't know if I'll be in Omaha more than 5 years. However tg friendliness is important (if it wasn't for my pretty nice job I would be in a more tg friendly city) and I'd like to get an ideal situation that will let me explore presenting in girl mode more..

So does anyone have any advice or other considerations I should be thinking about in my search?

Brenda79135
02-17-2012, 05:40 AM
One of the first things I looked at while looking for an apartment was a washer and dryer. This made doing laundry much nicer. Lugging the womens clothing to a common laundry room was not going to cut it. Second was the parking. Is the parking area easy to get to? Is it safe? What is the external lighting at night. You may want it dark or light depending on how confident you are.

Karren H
02-17-2012, 07:09 AM
I'd have to have one with an external entrance, not through a hallway of common area. And one with a one car garage. Many around here are 3 story with a garage on the bottom... Makes coming and going more secure.

Stephenie S
02-17-2012, 09:52 AM
Sweetie, having more people around makes you safer, not the other way around.

Speaking as a landlady, what we care about is how you care for our property, not what you wear. And others round you? Most everyone doesn't care. Honest. The thought that you are all alone in this world with your crossdressing activity and that everyone else is out to get you is just a guilt and fear fueled fantasy. The reality is that 99.9% of the people in this world have absolutely NO interest in your funny hobby. Be a good neighbor and a good tenant, and you will have no trouble at all.

S

sherri
02-17-2012, 10:12 AM
Assuming you wish to come and go from your residence in full-blown femme mode, I think the first question you have to answer is do you mind your neighbors knowing you're TG, cuz sooner or later someone is going to notice. If you're okay with that then let other factors determine your choice. Personally, I'm with Karen, I would want an external entrance. A friend of mine once bought a 2-story townhouse with a garage and a fairly private entrance -- that seems like a good solution. But like I said, sooner or later someone will notice, regardless.