PDA

View Full Version : so how has counselling helped you?

Charla
02-19-2012, 10:31 AM
I am looking for a good counselor or psychiatrist in the Houston area to help me cope with my crossdressing (anyone know a good one that accepts Cigna?). I have come to the realization that the desire is not going away after well over 50 years so I had best learn how to cope. I was wondering how counseling has helped others - are you feeling better, did you get medicated, was the investment worthwhile? How did it make a difference for you? Thanks to all!

ArleneRaquel
02-19-2012, 10:32 AM
I've never had gender or gender related counseling, just me.

Miriam-J
02-19-2012, 05:02 PM
I haven't had counseling for crossdressing, and haven't felt a need for it. But I did have considerable counseling a few years ago as I dealt with divorce, restarting my life, and issues with my son. The right therapist can do wonders for you, but it all depends on what you put into it. It's important to have a good idea as to what you see as the problem and what you'd like to get out of it so the sessions don't end up wandering endlessly.

Perhaps you've already received opinions on this, but I don't think there's any need to get counseling to deal with the crossdressing. But there certainly might be a need to get help in how you deal with others' reactions to you.

On a practical front, check to see what your employer will cover. Some (like mine) will pay for a few sessions of therapy with almost no questions asked.

Miriam

Heather-Barbie
02-19-2012, 05:29 PM
I am seeing a counsler mainly for divorce, but also dealing with crossdressing and other issues. She has been great and has helped me understand who I really am. Counseling is what you want to get out of it.

My suggestion is see the list of counslers that are members of CIGNA and spend time reviewing them. Many have their own web site and provide information on their background. Spend time and set up personal goals as to what you want to get from counseling. Be prepared that you may know more about CDing then they do. It is also very important to be as open and honest with your counsler.

As an alternate, this forum can provide a lot of help. Both have helped me a lot.

Good luck.

kimdl93
02-20-2012, 08:57 AM
First off, I learned that it wasn't a crime. My therapist's first words when I told her were "its not a crime, you know". Up until those first conversations, I was certain that I was some kind of horrible pervert. She helped me understand that its common, not a disease or character flaw, that it was perfectly OK, even fun, to enjoy women's clothing, and that it was perfectly OK to want be a woman...part time or full time.

Tomara
02-20-2012, 10:48 AM
Therapy can be very hard work and in my opinion it is well worth the investment , make sure you find someone who has experience working with gender related issues and someone you feel comfortable enough with to share all of yourself with .
Best of luck to you ,
Tomara