PDA

View Full Version : Height Issues

Leana
02-22-2012, 05:22 PM
When I'm out and about among the unwashed masses my voice is my number one concern, but that's relatively easy to hide, (just stay quiet!). The one thing that's always with me is my height (6' 2" in stockinged feet, 6' 6" or more in heels).

It draws attention to me, which usually allows people to notice other things that "may not quite be right". Not a problem in the clubs, but it is in the mall!

How do you other tall girls deal with it? Or is it even an issue?

kimdl93
02-22-2012, 05:38 PM
Is it an issue? Well, sure. I'm the same height as you and then there's things like some latent maleness in my gait, masculine facial features, big hands, shoulders...gosh it goes on and on. Most of the time, I'm the tallest person in the room - but, does it matter? Really, I don't think so. I don't go out with the objective of passing, but rather with the expectation that I will be read, repeatedly. But I also go out with the hope that if I'm read, I'll present myself, as I am, with dignity and good humor. Usually, that does the trick. Yes, I try to look my best, to dress in a manner that is consisten with the women around me and as flattering as possible, but I try to have realistic expectations for myself and others.

StarrOfDelite
02-22-2012, 05:43 PM
I'm only 6'0' tall in bare feet, but that is still taller than about 95% of all genetic women. My solution is to do what tall genetic girls do, which is not call attention to myself by wearing heels in places which are illuminated well. My experience is similar to what you infer, which is that if I call attention to myself then I invite scrutiny of all the little details which "may not be quite right." In the malls I wear flats, sandals, or sneakers. In the trendier clubs, most of the genetic girls are also wearing heels, and it isn't a problem to be six foot three when there are many genetic females who are five-eleven to six-two hanging around. (And, I still haven't figured out how they can dance in five inch heels!) I've also discovered that having one tallish masculine looking male as "arm candy" works wonders, and two or more is even better. :-)

Laura912
02-22-2012, 05:47 PM
Easy. Just go to the ACC women's basketball playoffs. Sorry. Just could not resist. :) I hit 6 plus whatever the heel height is.
Laura

Leana
02-22-2012, 06:16 PM
......I've also discovered that having one tallish masculine looking male as "arm candy" works wonders, and two or more is even better. :-)

Best suggestion ever!! :D

Aprilrain
02-22-2012, 07:58 PM
I'm only 6'0' tall in bare feet, but that is still taller than about 95% of all genetic women.

I've also discovered that having one tallish masculine looking male as "arm candy" works wonders

Actually your taller than 98% of North American woman (you would be off the charts in other parts of the world!). The only reason I know this is because I'm 6' as well :straightface:

My boyfriend is 6'3" and just plain big, well bigger than me at least. :daydreaming:

Anne2345
02-22-2012, 08:16 PM
Actually your taller than 98% of North American woman (you would be off the charts in other parts of the world!). The only reason I know this is because I'm 6' as well :straightface:

6 feet tall is taller than 98% of North American women, huh? Oh, that is just great to know. I hadn't heard that statistic before. I am 6 foot 4. So where does that put me? Sigh.

:sad:

SuzanneBender
02-22-2012, 08:59 PM
But I also go out with the hope that if I'm read, I'll present myself, as I am, with dignity and good humor. Kim that is some of the best advice on this forum. Besides confidence helps you blend in more than looking the part perfectly. I am 5'11". I wear flats unless the occasion calls for heels. Maybe I am the odd girl out, but I like being tall. Most GGs would kill to have our legs.

Daphne Renee
02-22-2012, 09:05 PM
I guess I am the odd one out here. I am not tall.. About 5'6" in reg shoes.

KaTanya
02-22-2012, 09:05 PM
6 feet tall is taller than 98% of North American women, huh? Oh, that is just great to know. I hadn't heard that statistic before. I am 6 foot 4. So where does that put me? Sigh.

that puts you in the top 10% of Sasquatches in NA.
:eek:

I know that for me, I enjoy a tall lady (GG or otherwise). As far as my family goes, I'm the shortest GM at 6'0"; one cousin is 6'6", and I have two female cousins who are 6'0". That covers both sides of the family. (How did I end end up so short? Might be smoking at age 14 stunting my growth- I need my own PSA).

Hang out in Chinatown. Height is a coveted attribute for women.

susangirl
02-22-2012, 09:11 PM
Not a issue. I'm 6 feet tall and love wearing 5 inch stilettos all the time. I have seen many tall beautiful women. I feel sexy and love walking in heels way to much to worry about it.

STACY B
02-22-2012, 09:18 PM
I got IT ,,,,, I got IT ,,,,,, Do what I do ,,, When ya go out like a BIG store yall know what I meen,, An you can wear your BEST most KILLER HEELS an PLATFORMS an NEVER be read ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, NEVER,,,,,,,,,,, Get one of those little rascal carts an ride on it an they cant see how tall ya are ,,, An you can shop an shop ,, An no one will say nothing to ya ,, An if they look to hard just drop your head an they cant see your face unless thay get on there knees, An whan ya talk just act like ya have larengitis an talk real slow ,,, So get dressed an grab ya a motorized scooter an GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! Outa my way BI":"":H ,,,,,, Lady with a medical problem comeing threw !!!!!!!!!!

kimdl93
02-22-2012, 09:28 PM

Don't sweat your height. At any given moment youmay be the tallest woman in the room, but if you go to Norway or the Netherlands, you'll just be of average hieght.

docrobbysherry
02-22-2012, 09:44 PM
Aha! Yet ANOTHER reason NOT to go out in vanilla public dressed!

Eryn
02-22-2012, 09:53 PM
I'm another tall girl. The research I did on the topic indicates that, at 6'2", I'm at the 95th percentile for males and the 99th percentile for females in the US. Now, that sounds grim, but the fact is that 1% of the GGs out there are my height or taller, and even some of those GGs who are a couple of inches shorter end up taller than I am through the magic of heels. That means that women of my height aren't all that unusual. I see them all the time.

Another fact is that folks tend to judge height by their own stature. I draw little notice from anyone under 5'10". To them, I'm just "tall" without defining the state further. The people who really look at me are those near my height, particularly tall GGs. The exchange upon seeing each other is predictable, they look at me, glance down at my feet to see if I'm wearing heels, then back up at my face. I smile and they smile back. Of course, I'm doing exactly the same thing to them!

I really don't mind wearing flats most of the time. I have some cute ones and would just as soon not cause myself pain. All the desire I have to wear heels is satisfied around the house and occasionally to CD events, the only place where I can wear 4" heels and not be the tallest lady in the room! :) One evening of that and I'm happy to come back down to earth!

DebbieL
02-22-2012, 09:54 PM
Being tall and appearing to be a female will draw attention. If you are wearing a short skirt, high heels, and a top that's satin, tight, or just shows a nice figure, then you will get even more attention.

When I go out, I'm usually wearing 2-3 inch heels, I wear short skirts, and I wear a wig that complements my face. With proper make-up, I still look like I'm in my late 40s, so I WILL be noticed.

In New York City, very attractive women discourage extended examination by avoiding direct eye contact, not smiling at people, and not changing their stride. This allows them to walk quickly through a crowd without being accosted by dozens of men who might find her attractive, but also realize that she is not interested in stopping to have a conversation. Of course, once they are at their destination, and they feel safe, almost any compliment will have them light up and friendly quite quickly.

The key is to be situation appropriate. Wearing a little black dress to a club or a charity fund raiser - totally appropriate, and you are likely to be celebrated, even if you are read, as long as you are willing to create a non-threatening interaction with those who read you as soon as they do. When I realize I've been read, I open my eyes really big, and given them a really big smile, and a nod, to say "yep, that's right, I'm not the girl of your dreams". Ironically, this creates safety, because those who are threatened have confirmation and can avoid you, and those who are curious or interested, or want to know more about you, will feel more comfortable approaching you.

Wearing the little black dress to the shopping mall would not be situation appropriate, unless you have a badge that says you work at one of the stores. Shoppers in a mall typically dress for comfort, and even GGs who are "over-dressed" would be scrutinized, possibly even followed. Girls would start giggling, because they are aware of how pretty she is, but seeming too pretty for the mall.

The reality is that most teen girls can read us easily, and they tend to start giggling over things that are unusual and unfamiliar, partly because they don't know how to interact with their peers on the topic. They want to belong to their group, and saying "wow she's a he and she's hot!" - could get them stigmatized. At the same time, they may find the idea of a man who looks like a beautiful woman to be a very appealing fantasy, but are afraid to admit it.

In the mall, being very tall, it's a good idea to find some nice flats or sketchers, and wear pants and loose fitting cotton or wool - such as sweat shirts or hoodies. Layer a bit, but not too much, and keep the jewelry reasonable, studs or small danglies. This is one of those times when it's OK to look almost like a boy - because you are less likely to draw attention. The will look at you and see a rather plain woman who is not that well dressed, and just look for someone who is more fashionable, someone they might want to emulate.

phballet
02-22-2012, 09:57 PM
actually while i love heels this is also a problem for me where i llive. while i'm not that tall i'm considered tall for a woman by asian standards...so when i go out during the day or basically not to draw attention to myself i wear flats most of the time. i find that it really depends on your surroundings too...for example here in singapore pple usually dress quite casually...so wearing heels n standing taller than most others would definitely stand out!

latanya
02-22-2012, 10:01 PM
I am 6'2" and i am not giving up my heels!

Julogden
02-22-2012, 10:35 PM

Yeah, me too, 6'5". :(

Starr
02-22-2012, 10:37 PM
I posted to a thread along this line somewhere a few weeks back after seeing an article on tall women in entertainment...lets see if I can remember some of those:

Genea Davis was 6' tall
Nicloe Kidman is 5' 11" I think..
So is Taylor Swift..
of course there where several super models in that list as well...
I have also noticed many taller and bigger women around where I live, many looks about my height, 6 ft.. and some close to my size... well they may be a couple sizes smaller.. but hey.. women come in all sizes... enjoy yourself and don't worry about it.

Jamie

sandra-leigh
02-22-2012, 10:42 PM
When I'm out and about among the unwashed masses my voice is my number one concern, but that's relatively easy to hide, (just stay quiet!). The one thing that's always with me is my height (6' 2" in stockinged feet, 6' 6" or more in heels).

I can't resist :D

Q: How do you hide an elephant in a strawberry patch?
A: You paint its toenails red.

So maybe you just need to get with the open-toed shoes and the polish :heehee:

Sammy777
02-22-2012, 10:57 PM
6 feet tall is taller than 98% of North American women, huh? Oh, that is just great to know. I hadn't heard that statistic before. I am 6 foot 4. So where does that put me?

Here is a site with height/weight charts for men and women.
http://www.halls.md/chart/height-weight.htm

I guess I am the odd one out here. I am not tall.. About 5'6" in reg shoes.
You are not the only one, I'm 5'6"-ish myself :)

latanya
02-22-2012, 10:57 PM
JUST SOME BEAUTIFUL WOMAN 6FT AND OVER
Brigitte Nielsen (In her Prime) – 6’1
Amelia Vega – 6’1
Ana Ivanovic – 6’1
Jennie Finch – 6’1
Candace Parker – 6’4
Gabrielle Reece – 6’4
Maria Sharapova – 6’2
Delisa Varik – 6’2
Natalia Bush – 6’2
Natasha Stefanenko – 6’1
Uma Thurman – 6’0
Victoria Silvstedt – 5’11 borderline 6’0 so she passes
Meghan Gardler – 6’0
Claudia Lampe – 6’2
Lauren Jackson – 6’5
Brooke Shields 6’
Elle Macpherson 6’
Kimora Lee Simmons6’
L'Wren Scott 6’4
AND I DONT CARE ABOUT PERCENTAGES I WOULDN'T MIND BEING IN THIS EXCLUSIVE GROUP

Aprilrain
02-23-2012, 07:28 AM
JUST SOME BEAUTIFUL WOMAN 6FT AND OVER
Brigitte Nielsen (In her Prime) – 6’1
Amelia Vega – 6’1
Ana Ivanovic – 6’1
Jennie Finch – 6’1
Candace Parker – 6’4
Gabrielle Reece – 6’4
Maria Sharapova – 6’2
Delisa Varik – 6’2
Natalia Bush – 6’2
Natasha Stefanenko – 6’1
Uma Thurman – 6’0
Victoria Silvstedt – 5’11 borderline 6’0 so she passes
Meghan Gardler – 6’0
Claudia Lampe – 6’2
Lauren Jackson – 6’5
Brooke Shields 6’
Elle Macpherson 6’
Kimora Lee Simmons6’
L'Wren Scott 6’4
AND I DONT CARE ABOUT PERCENTAGES I WOULDN'T MIND BEING IN THIS EXCLUSIVE GROUP

Now I like Uma even more :daydreaming:

susmitha
02-23-2012, 07:47 AM
I have no issues. I am only five feet tall (short for a woman also). I don't have much body hair also. But I am very very masculine in my behaviour, posture etc.

Kali
02-23-2012, 08:11 AM
I'm 6'4". I genrally won't wear heels over 3". Of course if I was long and sylph-like, as some of you seeem to be, I wouldn't mnd being taller, but I'm definitely a BB(tg)W :)

Even in low heels I have yet to be at a T event where I wasn't the tallest person in the room.

C'est la vie.

At least when my wife goes with me I have some altitude company; she is over 6' in the heels she usually wears.

Talldrinkofwater
02-23-2012, 08:31 AM
Embrace the height! If your legs look great, that will be what will be noticed more than your stature. Sadly, I need a little work there. But I accept I will never change my height without serious calcium deficiency, and it is a little reassuring to know (as others pointed out) that you fit into at least one category among the world's most desirable women.

Jennifer in CO
02-23-2012, 09:03 AM
I shared once before. I was self-concious way back when. Wife and I went to dinner...and are sitting there waiting for a table. In walk two Dallas Diamonds. I'm 6'2 and they are easily 4 inches taller than me. We chatted for about 10 minutes while they waited as well. Being "short" in such company I watched others and after this lil meeting my confidence went through the roof. Never looked back...

Jenn

Marleena
02-23-2012, 09:07 AM
I wonder when the last time this height scale for females was revised? I'm seeing way more tall girls (around 6 feet) than when I was in high school/college. The trend is definitely taller.

AussiegirlCD
02-23-2012, 10:52 AM
I'm 6'5", and approach 7' in platform heels, it certainly isn't much fun looking at the top of everyones heads, so I hope girls start getting taller, I won't feel quite so alone up in the clouds.

Pheobe.

babs816 GG
02-23-2012, 11:05 AM
taken from and earlier post: "My solution is to do what tall genetic girls do, which is not call attention to myself by wearing heels in places which are illuminated well.! "

OK I had to respond to that.. with..WHAT?? No one told me that as a GG who stands six feet tall barefoot that I am not allowed to wear heels in well lit rooms!! Gah THE HORROR! Sorry..just had to laugh at that. Trust me I don't give a rat's ass if I am six four or taller when I wear heels. If I can walk in them I'm going to wear them..well lit situation or not. Now if only my two bum knees would allow me to once again wear my heels out and about .. life would be GRAND!

I say to all of the fabulous tall girls here..wear your heels with pride and style. Being tall ROCKS (most of the time..lol)

B

Amanda22
02-23-2012, 11:13 AM
Hi Leana,

I'm just up the highway from you in Chattanooga. I'm the same height as you. It used to bother me but no longer. Just yesterday, I noticed a woman on the grocery who was just as tall as me. I've adopted the attitude of being proud of my height because it does make me stand out. People notice tall women, especially other women (in my experience). If my height "outs me," it was probably going to happen anyhow. I'd rather be tall than at the other end of the range.

Amanda22
02-23-2012, 11:19 AM
taken from and earlier post: "My solution is to do what tall genetic girls do, which is not call attention to myself by wearing heels in places which are illuminated well.! "

OK I had to respond to that.. with..WHAT?? No one told me that as a GG who stands six feet tall barefoot that I am not allowed to wear heels in well lit rooms!! Gah THE HORROR! Sorry..just had to laugh at that. Trust me I don't give a rat's ass if I am six four or taller when I wear heels. If I can walk in them I'm going to wear them..well lit situation or not. Now if only my two bum knees would allow me to once again wear my heels out and about .. life would be GRAND!

I say to all of the fabulous tall girls here..wear your heels with pride and style. Being tall ROCKS (most of the time..lol)

B

I couldn't agree more! I love the "rules" or bits of "wisdom" such as tall girls shouldn't wear heels. I think we should wear what we want. As a cross dresser, I don't think heels are going to be the deciding factor in passing or not. I just can't imagine an observer thinking I'm a GG if not for those heels. No wonder tall GGs feel self-conscious about their height with pressure not to wear shoes which make them taller. Tall is beautiful!

KarenCDFL
02-23-2012, 11:27 AM
I am 6' in my bare feet and close to 6'6 in platforms.

The only really bad time I ever had was going to a Fetish Club party many years ago and my wig got caught in the upper door jam! So here I am blocking the doorway trying to get my wig untangled from the old wood above my head. Needless to say it was pretty funny after I finally got through the door!.

audreyinalbany
02-23-2012, 12:13 PM
this is a topic that keeps coming up, but I, at 5'10", see SOOOOOO many GG's that are way taller than I am that I don't think you tall girls need to be the least bit concerned about it

Ayame
02-23-2012, 05:39 PM
Height is a good thing. I'm tall and I own it and so should you!

joandher
02-23-2012, 06:02 PM
Here is a site with height/weight charts for men and women.
http://www.halls.md/chart/height-weight.htm

You are not the only one, I'm 5'6"-ish myself :)

Acording to my doctor as you get older you do get smaller, on a medical exam i said i was 5`-6" when he measured me i was
only 5`-5"

Bree-asaurus
02-23-2012, 06:07 PM
I'm 6'3"

I don't wear heels yet... working up the confidence to do so.

But I've NEVER had issues. I get looks, but what tall hot woman doesn't? ;)

Eryn
02-23-2012, 06:23 PM
On a humorous vein, at 6'2" what I need are the opposite of those "elevator" shoes they sell to GMs. I need shoes that *look* like sky-high platforms, but which put my actual heel only a half-inch above the ground!

Anne2345
02-23-2012, 06:33 PM
I'm 6'3"
. . .
I get looks, but what tall hot woman doesn't? ;)

I like the way you think, Bree! :)

LeaP
02-23-2012, 06:49 PM

Anne, I hate to do it to you again, but have you read your tag line lately? :doh:

Lea

Jorja
02-23-2012, 07:31 PM
Just this evening after work,I stopped by the grocery store to pick up a few items for a recipe I want to make. I was wearing 4" heels. That put me at about 6'4". As I approached the vegtable area, there were 4 women that I know. They are all GGs. They ranged from 6'4" to 6'8". The five of us stood there chatting it up while everyone else went about their business. It didn't cause any problems for anyone. Nobody yelled, OMG look at those tall ladies.

It is all in your head! Get over it! There are tall women in this world! Go be yourself and wear what you want.