PDA

View Full Version : Some encouragment today

Diane Elizabeth
02-22-2012, 10:15 PM
Last week I had called the county HR to find out what their policy was regarding where I work for use of the appropriate facilities. Basically I work for a private company inside a county blgd. The HR person checked on it and called me back today. She told me they would go with what my company policy was.

My company policy is that when/if I come out I still had to use the mens lockeroom/ bathroom/ showers. I am not too keen on that idea. I hope I can reach a compromise about that.

Anyway, back to the phone call. During my conversation the HR person applauded me for my decision to come out and transition. She repeated this several times (at least 6 times in a 4 minute time frame. I look aupon this as a positive sign of their support. She also told me to call her if there was anything she could do to help.

Bree-asaurus
02-22-2012, 11:08 PM
Did you find out what company policy was once you change your gender? I think if you're ready to go to work as yourself, you should also be ready to change the gender marker on your license. And if you're legally female, you should be able to use the female facilities...

Aprilrain
02-23-2012, 06:51 AM
Grown woman don't ask which bathroom to use. Just sayin!

Kaitlyn Michele
02-23-2012, 08:29 AM
that's great Deidre...despite the company's current policy, having a supportive person in the HR group is a big plus.

Julia_in_Pa
02-23-2012, 08:43 AM
Deidre,

The compromise could be a facility somewhat out of the way from the rest of the employees.
This is what I had to do when I transitioned on the job.
It is promising that the HR rep was highly encouraging of your decision to transition.

Julia

Hope
02-23-2012, 06:08 PM
It is not at all unusual for folks who have no experience with trans issues to have very little knowledge of trans issues... O_o ... And your sense that your particular HR person seems supportive would suggest that what she lacks isn't a desire to do the right thing, but rather, simply the knowledge of what the right thing to do is...

I would recommend presenting her with a copy of the peeing in peace document, and a copy of a letter from your therapist stating the appropriateness of bathroom availability (I used my carry letter for this):

http://transgenderlawcenter.org/pdf/PIP%20Resource%20Guide.pdf

And asking her to review it and reconsider the question of your bathroom privileges... Be NICE about it. As sticky sweet as you can be. Act as if you are asking her to do you a HUGE favor. And if/when she does reverse her decision re: your use of the ladies room - do think of your bathroom use as a privilege and behave accordingly, at least until you get the coveted "F" on your ID documents. That is just about being a good citizen and a good ambassador for the rest of the trans community.

I would also look into the legal options available to you, Minnesota has a non-discrimination law that protects transgender people and guarantees free access to "accommodations." Which is great. Unfortunately the state supreme court seems to have ruled that despite the law banning discrimination, that employers may still restrict bathroom use for employees based on anatomical gender. Bah. HOWEVER - Minneapolis and St. Paul seem to have an additional law providing protections to transgender people. I couldn't find the law, but I also didn't look to hard... If I were you, I would find out what the law says, and keep it in my back pocket if I ended up needing it.

here are some links to get started on familiarizing yourself with relevant law:

http://www.thetaskforce.org/downloads/reports/fact_sheets/all_jurisdictions_w_pop_10_11.pdf

http://www.thetaskforce.org/downloads/reports/issue_maps/non_discrimination_1_12_color.pdf

http://www.transgenderlaw.org/ndlaws/ngltftlpichart.pdf

And my personal fav, from the National Center for Lesbian Rights (those dykes are FIERCE):

http://www.nclrights.org/site/DocServer/StateLawsThatProhibitDiscriminationAgainstTransPeo ple.pdf?docID=7821

Diane Elizabeth
02-23-2012, 11:44 PM
From my research I have been told that my company's policy is the ruling factor. The state and county has no policy that overrides how the company handles TG issues. In this case I was told that even after I come out I will still be required to use the mens facilities. That is the lockeroom/ bathroom/ shower. They are all in one. We have no third option for me to use.

Mary Lee
02-25-2012, 06:10 PM
If you work for a private company inside a county blgd then are the rest rooms inside the office you work in or do you use restrooms outside the office. Most places that I have worked use the restrooms provided by the owner of the building and most government buildings have restrooms outside of individual offices. So why would the company you work for have any say so over what public restroom in a government building you use? Sounds to me that the county should make the decision as to what county government public restroom you should use.

Debglam
02-25-2012, 09:04 PM
From my research I have been told that my company's policy is the ruling factor. The state and county has no policy that overrides how the company handles TG issues. In this case I was told that even after I come out I will still be required to use the mens facilities. That is the lockeroom/ bathroom/ shower. They are all in one. We have no third option for me to use.

Hi Deidre,

First, law will trump company policy. Whatever the State, County, and City say, the company better be obeying or THEY are in violation of the law!

If you work for a private company inside a county blgd then are the rest rooms inside the office you work in or do you use restrooms outside the office. Most places that I have worked use the restrooms provided by the owner of the building and most government buildings have restrooms outside of individual offices. So why would the company you work for have any say so over what public restroom in a government building you use? Sounds to me that the county should make the decision as to what county government public restroom you should use.

This is a real good point and something else to consider. Also, and this is way too complicated to put in a post, depending on how closely related to the county your company is, they could legally be considered an arm of the government and that would bring various civil rights laws into play.

Good luck,
Debby

Kristy_K
02-25-2012, 10:09 PM
I work in Minneapolis when I came out Deidre Erin.

I know it is up to the company but my HR set the rules to the company for me. She was really great about. She told the company and employees that I would use the same bathroom as I used in public and there would be no switching back and forth.

I now I have a F on my license so I am not worry about it.

Kristy