PDA

View Full Version : If you were restoring a car, to raise extra money would you stop buying clothes?

Beverley Sims
02-23-2012, 06:46 AM
If you were short of money would you sacrifice your clothing allowance to facilitate the restoration of your car?:)

TxKimberly
02-23-2012, 07:14 AM
I suppose that would depend upon the car. :)

Trish
02-23-2012, 07:21 AM
I'm sure the car would have all my interest and money, for a while.

Aprilrain
02-23-2012, 07:25 AM
What is car restoration?? Is that like when I take it to jiffy lube after about 8000 miles to get the oil changed? (actually it's easier to have ones BF do this for her:heehee:)

DAVIDA
02-23-2012, 07:26 AM
I have a Triumph Spitfire in the back. It has been there for twenty years.
I have a room full of clothes and shoes.
Ok, did that answer the question?:heehee:

Crystal77
02-23-2012, 07:37 AM
Maybe, as long as I already had an outfit to go cruising in car with.

daarleane
02-23-2012, 08:40 AM
Not entirely, but I would try to balance the two. I would just try to not let the "budget" get out of hand. O course now, that's just not my "cup of tea".

grace52
02-23-2012, 08:54 AM
Let's see I had my sedan for 43 years painted it twice, my high boy 31 ford for over ten years and it's still in primer. My closet is now full of nice bright colors, oh well I love rat rods any way. Atleast Grace looks great[block sanding is hard nails] But when you still have let over nail polish on nails you have excuse that you were cleaning out paint gun. Also if you paint your engine or chassis bright colors(red) you always got touch-up. (nail polish) works also on my telecaster. Grace to all.

Kate Simmons
02-23-2012, 09:07 AM
That would have to depend on what you considered was more important to you, no?:)

Beth Mays
02-23-2012, 09:10 AM
My fix:
ask for some overtime at work... Easy!

Katesback
02-23-2012, 09:27 AM
The two times I went to Southern Comfort I brought with me my purse, computer with its case, and one suitcase.

I observed a large number of people with TONS of bags of stuff. Visiting some of them in thier rooms I often observed so many articles of clothing I was astounded.

To this day I am perplexed that some Crossdresser have 10 times the clothing I have and I am a girl. I wear my clothes every day in the real world. If I had to guess most crossdressers are a girl .5% or less on a day to day basis.

I just have to wonder WHY so much clothing. LOL

Katie

michelle64
02-23-2012, 10:15 AM
I am restoring an old truck now..yes i gave up clothing and outings..i am happy i did as the project has involved the whole family..in the end it is worth it

KrystalA
02-23-2012, 10:57 AM
Sure I would. I have enough fem clothes to wear a different outfit every day for several months. Of course, if I came across something really, really cute, I might splurge a bit. LOL

Amanda22
02-23-2012, 11:22 AM
I have a complete wardrobe, so I would be able to divert money to a project I'm interested in. Fortunately, I don't feel the need to buy feminine clothing for the sake of buying. Hope this helps.

Cheryl T
02-23-2012, 01:08 PM
Of course the car would come first...assuming it's for transportation.
If we're talking about a restoration as a hobby then it would have to share finances with my clothing allowance and other hobbies.

Katie83
02-23-2012, 01:45 PM
I have just bought a classic car to restore. And as a result of that Katie is taking a back seat as far as time and money are concerned.
I don't mind too much as it means i've another classic in the collection!
Katie

charlytuna
02-23-2012, 01:47 PM
get a second job that way you can afford both. It not easy working two jobs one does what one has to do if want something got find a way to get it. I talking from experince of working two jobs, and only down fall is you always want something so you have to work to get it

DonnaT
02-23-2012, 01:52 PM
Yes I would. Besides, I've enough clothes already.

dee4127
02-23-2012, 01:56 PM
Car first.Have plenty of clothes

Beverley Sims
02-23-2012, 02:04 PM
AprilRain..
Are you sure you are not a GG?
My daughter is very car savvy but I know a lot who do not want to go there.
Kates Back...
Luv your avatar
I never gave bikes a thought.
To Davida..
I am looking for confessions, not answers.
I have a running joke about restos,
When it rains I ask if I can bring my car in out of the rain so as the paint won't run.
The sad part about this is that a friend of mine painted his ford custom with plastic paint and a brush and two days later the paint had not quite cured.
It looked like a red and white Zebra.
I love all the replies.
Someone should start a bike thread and how it has affected your dressing.

PaulaAnn
02-23-2012, 02:04 PM
Nope ;I'd sell the dog and the kids....LOL!!Seriously tho ',I have two hot rods a '29 Essex and a '46 Chevy custom. Both are built but I try to balance my clothing expenses with my car expenses ...sometimes Paula gets no clothes for a month or two ,sometimes the cars do without or I take in one or two less car shows or runs.I do have a part time job to ease the load .Being on nothing but a pension is a pain at times but I manage.
Paula.

Eryn
02-23-2012, 08:05 PM
I just have to wonder WHY so much clothing. LOL

Assuming the bike in your avitar is yours, a lot of people seeing you just have to wonder "WHY a Harley?"

The answer to either question is that mantra taught at the Harley Boutique: "If you have to ask, you wouldn't understand."

I try to stay within my budget both on cars and clothes. So far, so good.

silow
02-23-2012, 08:19 PM
I gald to see their are car nuts here. Race season is at hand. I drag race and I feel the need for speeddddddddd. So maybe a little.

Kaz
02-23-2012, 08:38 PM
I don't do car restoration but appreciate those who do... I play guitar quite seriously... I should buy another guitar - I know what I need - clothes or guitar? Same paradox...

I haven't bought any new Kaz clothes (other than stockings/hold-ups - they wear out quickly!) for a long time... I want to but I am cash strapped (UK)... so what cash I do have goes into priority things... food? The car is important as I need wheels... but now then... the band? Should I play live music or buy a dress?

Colo Deb
02-24-2012, 12:34 PM
I have a car to restore some day, but the trunk is filled with my stash. This is one reason I have curtailed my shopping. I will need to find some place else to hide it or possibly come out of the closet. Lol, what to do?

RADER
02-24-2012, 01:05 PM
With the economy as bad as it is; I would not restore the car.
People have been tight with discretionary spending. Unless you might have a
buyer for the Car, I would not take the gamble on all the expenses of restoring a car that will
only become money pit.
Rader

Aprilrain
02-24-2012, 01:14 PM
Ha! Am I GG? Let me check.........nope still there : ( thanks for the compliment though!
I know enough about cars to not get taken to the cleaners but have never had any interest in getting greasy, yuck!
I mentioned I needed an oil change, I was out of town and dint have my car with me, my BF was kind enough to take it in while I was away. Awwwww he such a sweetie!

Karinsamatha
02-24-2012, 10:02 PM
I am not restoring my Saab, but keeping it alive and safe. The car is a 1990 spg. It had been my daily driver for over 12 years. With the cost of gas, insurance, and taxes I am far better off keeping this car on the road. It is paid for and a survivor. Plus I look good driving it! I am blessed or cursed with the ability and training to keep old things working - curtsy of being in aviation maintenance for 22 years. Red is such a hot color :D. As far as limiting clothes, and shoes NO.

NathalieX66
02-24-2012, 10:21 PM
Sadly, I parted with my 1957 Ford Fairlane last summer....a car that I owned for 11 years,it had a beautiful two tone blue and white paint job, a Thunderbird 312 engine and 4-bbl carb, dual glass-pack exhausts. It was very easy to repair. I replaced the drum brakes, and brake cylinder, spark plug wiring, added an electric fuel pump all on my own. I just simply do not own enough tools to do more. But since then, I had the radiator rebuilt, new bushings, new generator by someone else.

Nowadays, I'm saving up to buy a used sailboat that I can sail to Block Island from where I live, and waste money on other things on guitars like my new Gibson J160E , similar to John Lennon's guitar.

Bottom line is, I can waste money on only so many things. I prefer to buy dresses on sale ($29) , except for rare special occasions.

Krististeph
02-24-2012, 10:42 PM
I would only spend time restoring something italian, red, and with 7 letters in in the name. 365GTB, 250GTO. or converting a 355 or 360 to the "CS" type... whay more money than i spend on clothes.

To answer more realistically- i've forgone purchasing other things to have money for clothes: Dillon or Hornady progressive reloading press, .357Sig barrel for HK USP .40S&W conversion, 5" barrel (as opposed to 4") for .40S&W- to further test the effect of barrel length on muzzle velocity of factory and various handloads. 10-12" mead telescope & CCD, (but it would not be very useful unless going 2 hours west to leave the light pollution). Flight time- 172 or 201.

jillleanne
02-25-2012, 09:02 AM
If you were short of money would you sacrifice your clothing allowance to facilitate the restoration of your car?:)

I've restored many. The car always wins over, BUTTTTT, I always had clothing and my s/o did too that just so happened to fit.

PrettyTranny
02-25-2012, 10:43 AM
I have a closet full of clothes but generally wear the same set over and over. I've definitely cut down on shopping after having got my p-car. I'm not restoring it but I am doing some mods and upgrades.

Jaime

Tina B.
02-25-2012, 11:41 AM
Sell the car, take the money and go shopping! Really, not into that much work, but I would have given up shopping for a new camera, I love shooting car shows, just to lazy to build one, and to poor to buy one.
Tina B.

Marleena
02-25-2012, 11:43 AM

Not likely Beverly. I love my car, but it only sees the nice weather, which is not too often up here. I do need to get a picture of me enfemme with it though. Muscle cars need models to pose with even if they're not young and beautiful.:)

Annaliese
02-25-2012, 11:53 AM
It would have to be 68 Camaro

Berinthia
02-25-2012, 01:34 PM
I have to admit I've been straying over to craigslist lately looking for an old BSA.

L0vleyme
02-25-2012, 03:49 PM
I juggle with this too. I am restoring a vehicle for keeps though, not to sell. I just bought some original seats, so next is some heels for me, then some parts for my daily driver.. And so on.

Barbara Jo
02-25-2012, 04:48 PM
Unless one is transitioning and/or living full time, it is not healthy mentally to ignore your male self and male interests completely.
Otherwiswe, "she" is the one who gets are the nice things, etc and "he" gets nothing. It can be quite confusing and depressing for the non trasitioning male.

So, somewhat of a balance should be maintained to keep your "male self" happy and mentally fit.

crissie cd
02-25-2012, 05:02 PM
i put money aside for the various projects and pretty things
the projects are too many. 2 old Japanese motorcycles and a VW type 1 Deluxe with fabric sunroof
also the musical instruments, drums, guitar & Bass. i am trying to put away a little money for everything so it all takes time.
the price of a good wig & corset takes some saving, but sometime i find a cute pair of shoes or dress that i would honestly like to get. with the clothing i look for bargains.

Fallen Angel
03-04-2012, 03:05 PM
For years I did body work, everything from lead to choping tops.I wound up with a roll away full of tools and a garage full of projects of my own that I never got around to.
Today I have two le'baron converts a 92 and a 88 both I have worked on in le'feme mode and at a very modest buget inclueding the top repacement on both that I did my self as well. Id rather buy a complete outfitt from head to toe that i can wear for hours than put a load of money into something thats parked 22 hours a day.

But hobbies are expensive wether your driving or dressing

Bex
03-06-2012, 01:33 AM
Unless one is transitioning and/or living full time, it is not healthy mentally to ignore your male self and male interests completely.
No matter WHO or WHAT you are, it's not healthy to ignore your interests! There are plenty of girls at the dragstrip and plenty of guys at the mall!
It's just being a minority but hey, that's nothing new :)

sometimes_miss
03-06-2012, 09:28 AM
Right now, my only purchases are stockings. I have pretty much all the girl clothes I need. Sure, sometimes I see something I might like to have, but a wedding gown is pretty useless, it would be hard to get it cleaned, as well as fitted without outing myself. I'm pretty happy in my teen girl clothes. Which is why my old sports car is getting slowly better each month, and now I'm saving for a really expensive complete paint job. Candy turquoise. Mmmmmm. Pretty. With a saddle interior by Rob Budd.

Wonderwho
03-06-2012, 10:24 AM
I have a 70 vw in the garage, there are parts all over and its mells like paint. grease, and dust,
love every second I am out there working on the bug. I have done body work in tights and a sports bra
and ruined several skirts but would nevver sell my hobbies for a new set of cloths, there is always the
thrift shop and summer yard sales. I want to thank all the GGs who love to buy then sell cheap on a
summer yard sale. I have come home with a truck full of car parts and some of the best dresses in my
closet. Just remember, dont weld in panty hose. Wonderwho

Salene
03-06-2012, 06:38 PM
I buy the clothes to perform in drag to fund the race car... win-win ^.^ The Auto-x season will start soon. My nails match my Mustang and pretty sure I'm the only one in the group who can drift in heels.

kimdl93
03-06-2012, 06:46 PM
I need to find extra room in my garage...then I can restore that 37 Ford pickup at my leisure and as my budget permits!

KimberlyJean
03-06-2012, 07:33 PM
Trackdays with motorcycles is expensive, I have looked at the closet and said I could have everything I need if I hadn't bought so much clothes, but I found I don't spend as much now that I have a pretty complete wardrobe.

Abbygirl
03-06-2012, 08:16 PM
I hate to even imagine the total in dollars associated with my girl addiction. However, the amount of money I've spent on old cars is even worse. Restoring almost any car is a bad investment but most of us don't do it to make money. It all depends on your situation of course, but I vote for restoring the car.

Tip: If you apply hand lotion before working on greasy things, the grease comes off your hands much easier when you are done working. Make sure to work it under your nails.

*Giggles* -While I'm here I just have to share a rather relevant picture. I took this photo (http://www.dpchallenge.com/image.php?IMAGE_ID=483264) for an online contest a few years ago. I got second place. Who-hoo!

TracyW
03-06-2012, 11:03 PM
I'm 22 years old and stay broke due to the clothing obsession and my project cars but I found a good way to balance the two, I get paid every two weeks one paycheck is for the clothes the next goes toward one of the three cars, either the 65 mustang drag car, the 88 mustang drift car, or the 1994 f150 rock crawler. So based on when you get paid just alternate spend the part of the paycheck you have to spare on one or the other, it keeps both things you love satisfied!