PDA

View Full Version : Any girls here cross the Canada/U.S. border dressed?

Marleena
02-23-2012, 09:13 AM
I've wondered about this since I cross by car at Detroit weekly. I've thought of shopping dressed in Detroit but U.S. customs would not be impressed that I don't match my male I.D. I'm thinking nobody would attempt this by a land crossing.:)

*Vanessa*
02-23-2012, 10:07 AM
Absolutely!

In fact I have always been dressed to cross any boarder, they throw you in jail if you try going across naked. ;)

sorry, couldn't resist..

Marleena
02-23-2012, 10:42 AM
Absolutely!

In fact I have always been dressed to cross any boarder, they throw you in jail if you try going across naked. ;)

sorry, couldn't resist..

Lol! I meant dressed enfemme! I did leave myself open for that one though.:)

Karren H
02-23-2012, 12:05 PM
If I did... I'd wear a pink wet suit!! Lake Ontario is really cold this time of year!

Katesback
02-23-2012, 12:52 PM
Sweety your avitar picure tells 1000 words......

1000 to 1 odds you dont have the confidenc to cross that border. Keep dreaming babe or get some confidence because in reality they really dont give a shit how your dressed.

Katie

Lol! I meant dressed enfemme! I did leave myself open for that one though.:)

Miranda-E
02-23-2012, 12:53 PM
Update your WHTI compliant ID or passport photo so its current and its no problem at all

Marleena
02-23-2012, 02:18 PM
Sweety your avitar picure tells 1000 words......

1000 to 1 odds you dont have the confidenc to cross that border. Keep dreaming babe or get some confidence because in reality they really dont give a shit how your dressed.

Katie

I would not expect anythig less from you Kate! Thanks for your candid comment.:) Oh and I changed back to my old avatar, that doesn't change anything.

Obviously you're not Canadian and never dealt with U.S. Customs. Everybody is a potential terrorist.

Marleena
02-23-2012, 02:26 PM
Update your WHTI compliant ID or passport photo so its current and its no problem at all

Miranda our passport picture must be correct, meaning proper genetic sex. No wigs, hats, etc, and no smiling either.. They are very strict about it. I'm not sure if a TS lady could get an extra female I.D. here for those purposes or not. I'm sure they would need to be post op.

danielle3
02-23-2012, 03:23 PM
I have done it at a small crossing in BC. As it was some time ago a passport was not required. I was fully dressed blouse, skirt and heels but no make-up or wig, just my medium-length male hair. No indication they even noticed.

Marleena
02-23-2012, 03:25 PM
I have done it at a small crossing in BC. As it was some time ago a passport was not required. I was fully dressed blouse, skirt and heels but no make-up or wig, just my medium-length male hair. No indication they even noticed.

Thanks Danielle this is what I was looking for.:) Was it pre 9/11, do you remember?

~Joanne~
02-23-2012, 03:32 PM
Obviously you're not Canadian and never dealt with U.S. Customs. Everybody is a potential terrorist.

Ain't this the damn truth lol try living here lol ;)

Marleena
02-23-2012, 03:38 PM
Ain't this the damn truth lol try living here lol ;)

Joanne you have seen that transgender Canadians can't fly in American airspace right? It is nuts, that's what prompted my thread about border crossings. One wrong answer to U.S customs and you get detained!

~Joanne~
02-23-2012, 03:50 PM
Joanne you have seen that transgender Canadians can't fly in American airspace right? It is nuts, that's what prompted my thread about border crossings. One wrong answer to U.S customs and you get detained!

No hon, I haven't seen or read anything about that but believe me, I don't find it hard to believe either. Since 9/11 we have policed the world over talking about freedoms they have walked on and are trying to take away from us daily.

There are A LOT of things I would never try dressed. This is surely one of them. Not only because of the border issue but because of the almost strip search the TSA performs in the name of "security".

Katesback
02-23-2012, 03:52 PM
Ok with a new avatar picture I stand down on my 1000 to 1 odds.

As far as I know it is legal in the US to dress as a woman. I am not an expert on the law but I believe that as long as if you are questioned and provide your identification and its a vaild ID your legal. Can they detain you at the border? Well let me tell you something that is true. The US border guard has the authority to detain anyone for any reason without any justification.

So say your detained. You explain yourself and you go on.

Perhaps it might be helpful to say to you that your not the first to do this. Countless TS girls that have at the time not gotten thier documentation in order have done it. Crap you could even tell them your TS and just not gotten your name changed yet.

I mean be creative. It cannot be that hard.

Katie

I would not expect anythig less from you Kate! Thanks for your candid comment.:) Oh and I changed back to my old avatar, that doesn't change anything.

VickysBFF
02-23-2012, 03:54 PM
Marleena: I had thought about doing the reverse.... I used to live in WA state and went to Vancouver, BC fairly often. I thought about going to Vancouver en femme but decided that it was not worth the potential hassle. This was post 9-11 and the requirements kept getting stricter. My first trip all we needed were our WA driver's licences, next trip we needed our birth certificates as well and right after we left they were requiring passports.
I am assuming from your posts that these are day trips into Detroit and you are returning home to Ontario the same day. If you were staying overnight and had a hotel you could drive over and then change but if you are just doing a day trip with a quick return it is probably best to go drab.

danielle3
02-23-2012, 03:55 PM
Was it pre 9/11, do you remember?

I think it was probably about six years ago, so no. I was on a business trip.

drushin703
02-23-2012, 04:15 PM
marleena: A few weeks ago I took the wrong exit off I-75 and Clark street trying to turn around and go south,towards downtown Detroit on Fort street, and
wound up face to face with two hunk, para-military clad, pistol packing border patrol agents.I was underdressed, as I always am in panties and pantyhose,
but outwardly in drab, but they motioned my car over for further inspection anyway. They took a look at my liscense, rambled thru the perfume bottles on my
back seat, inspected the contents of my trunk and glove compartment and then politely asked where I was going.When I told them I just made a wrong turn
the taller fellow pointed me back in the right direction. Yes, all of that and I wasnt even trying to cross the damn bridge...Imagine if I was fully aflame-
enfemme....dana

Marleena
02-23-2012, 05:21 PM
@ Dana thanks. That is scary!

@ Vicky & Danielle: Maybe makeup and wig are the big keys here. They hide your true identity.

@ Kate: I don't have any doctor's documentation etc. So yeah I would definitely be pulled in for interrogation.

@ Joannne: the link for transgenders in Canada, flying dressed: http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/americas/canada/120210/transgender-ban-flying-air-canada

I have been pulled in on two occasions out of four simply because I have an expensive black car with deep tint windows. My wife thinks it's the reason too. It doesn't take much for customs to haul you in. In my wife's car, a Ford Focus we have no issues. We now take hers to Detroit instead.

Katesback
02-23-2012, 05:30 PM
One more question. I grew up in Michigan. why on earth would you even want to go from nice (Canada) to hell Detroit?

katie

Marleena
02-23-2012, 05:33 PM
One more question. I grew up in Michigan. why on earth would you even want to go from nice (Canada) to hell Detroit?

katie

Only for the shopping Kate. Detroit has really gone down the shitter. We go to the suburbs to shop, Livonia, Taylor, etc. I-75 directly so we don't have to deal with Detroit itself.

Miranda-E
02-23-2012, 09:41 PM
Miranda our passport picture must be correct, meaning proper genetic sex. No wigs, hats, etc, and no smiling either.. They are very strict about it. I'm not sure if a TS lady could get an extra female I.D. here for those purposes or not. I'm sure they would need to be post op.

one doesn't need to be post op. one needs an id thats accurate and matching other documents with an accurate picture identifying the person. you obviosly cant have the picture taken with a wig.

as for the flying article, section 5.3 mentions flight marshal procedures for when all the ID matches the person in question (and with the right ID the flight marshals office WILL clear you to fly in canada and you simply board your plane after the call comes in to local airport security). but section 5.2 is the only part being thrown about in the net. This was originally about border crossing by car and WHTI rules are different for land and water transport. Lots to do about nothing really.

My first trip all we needed were our WA driver's licences, next trip we needed our birth certificates as well and right after we left they were requiring passports.

all you need is a WA enhanced ID (or any state that is currently REAL compliant), no passport or birth certificate. whether its Canada, Carribbean, Mexico, as long as you're not flying

As far as I know it is legal in the US to dress as a woman. I am not an expert on the law but I believe that as long as if you are questioned and provide your identification and its a vaild ID your legal. Can they detain you at the border? Well let me tell you something that is true. The US border guard has the authority to detain anyone for any reason without any justification.

So say your detained. You explain yourself and you go on.
this is exactly what happens in both the US and Canada. but everyone is scared to just tell the truth so they make up theoretical horror stories and scenarios.

Leslie Langford
02-23-2012, 10:11 PM
@ Dana thanks. That is scary!

@ Vicky & Danielle: Maybe makeup and wig are the big keys here. They hide your true identity.

@ Kate: I don't have any doctor's documentation etc. So yeah I would definitely be pulled in for interrogation.

@ Joannne: the link for transgenders in Canada, flying dressed: http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/americas/canada/120210/transgender-ban-flying-air-canada

I have been pulled in on two occasions out of four simply because I have an expensive black car with deep tint windows. My wife thinks it's the reason too. It doesn't take much for customs to haul you in. In my wife's car, a Ford Focus we have no issues. We now take hers to Detroit instead.

Serves you right for driving a Mafia staff car, Marleena...;) :tongueout

Marleena
02-23-2012, 11:08 PM
@ Miranda, thanks for the info you definitely know more than I do about it.:)

Canadians just seem to fear U.S. customs. At least this one does without even being dressed enfemme.:)

Marleena
02-23-2012, 11:08 PM
Serves you right for driving a Mafia staff car, Marleena...;) :tongueout

Yeah.. It kinda does look one Leslie.:)

darla_g
02-23-2012, 11:13 PM
i've done a bunch of border crossings and have always been hassled going into Ontario by the Canadian border people. a bunch of car searches and generally a real hassle each time. and i've never done anything! no record or anything like that. I would never think of trying to cross dressed.

Marleena
02-23-2012, 11:23 PM
i've done a bunch of border crossings and have always been hassled going into Ontario by the Canadian border people. a bunch of car searches and generally a real hassle each time. and i've never done anything! no record or anything like that. I would never think of trying to cross dressed.

Thanks Darla! That's the type of thing I was looking for. So it happens coming over here too. Customs really makes me paranoid.

Rochelle
02-24-2012, 02:38 AM
Interesting thread considering I just got my Canadian work visa and will start crossing the WA/BC boarder everyday for work. I don't have any experience crossing en femme, and I am not sure I would have enough courage to do. I am a little nervious about my daily crossing, my look is a bit androginous and I don't really want to be picked out going either way. What do you do, you have the right to express yourself how ever you want but the boarder guards also have the right to do what they call there job. Like you I am interested to hear how it goes but not interested in sitting in a customs office en femme on either side.

Patty B.
02-24-2012, 03:16 AM
I live within 5 minutes of a border crossing and US customs can pull you in without just cause and literally tear your vehicle apart, seats anything they can remove and then tell you to put it back together. I'm sure they can detain you for as long as they like inside if they feel like it. They do have absolute power over you coming into the US and to me it isnt worth the hassle crossing enfemme. Personally I wouldn't do it.

donnalee
02-24-2012, 04:30 AM
Better Police for a better Police State.

darla_g
02-24-2012, 09:36 AM
Thanks Darla! That's the type of thing I was looking for. So it happens coming over here too. Customs really makes me paranoid.yes going into canada, single guy driving and crossing near Sarnia at least once and at Niagara Falls too.

Leslie Langford
02-24-2012, 10:28 AM
It was only fairly recently (2007) that Canadian border guards have been issued side arms, unlike their U.S. counterparts for whom carrying hand guns has always been standard practice.

According to this Toronto Star article, the Detroit/Windsor border crossing is an especially dangerous one because so many people traversing it (especially Americans) are found with hand guns in their possession.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/810315--border-guards-have-drawn-guns-80-times

Most are not criminals - they are just ordinary folk steeped in the U.S. gun culture and for whom carrying a gun is no big deal - and really no different from carrying their wallets and house keys when travelling. It comes as a shock and surprise to them that a different, less gun-centric culture exists in Canada, and that with the exception of rifles and shotguns and the like, there are far more restrictions here as to what kinds of weapons civilians can possess - especially the more lethal variety including hand guns and automatic weapons like AK-47's and AR-15's.

It's ironic, then, that many right-wing Americans still see us post-9/11 as this hornet's nest of foreign terrorist activity that is just straining at the bit to infiltrate the U.S. and wreak untold damage. Hey, don't look at us - we're just the quiet neighbors living above a noisy biker bar ;).

Rochelle
02-24-2012, 04:16 PM
many right-wing Americans still see us post-9/11 as this hornet's nest of foreign terrorist activity that is just straining at the bit to infiltrate the U.S. and wreak untold damage. Hey, don't look at us - we're just the quiet neighbors living above a noisy biker bar ;).

I sure am glad that I am not one of those wacked out right-wing Yanks. And I aways try to keep it down while the neighbors are sleeping. :o

Veronica27
02-24-2012, 05:05 PM
I am a 72 year old Canadian, who has taken the Amtrak train between Montreal and New York City several times over the past few years. I have a full head of gray hair, which I decided to wear longer a few years ago. I tie it back in a ponytail, but my passport photo was taken shortly before I decided to change my hair style. I am always dressed in full guy mode for these trips, but my passport always gets closer scrutiny than my wife's, because of my slightly different hair style. They look at me, then the photo, then back at me, and then back at the photo for an agonizingly long time, sometimes asking me about my altered appearance. I get this on both sides of the border. I hate to think what their reaction would be if I was wearing anything remotely feminine in appearance.

It all depends on the inspection team, but whether travelling by car or train, both countries can give you a rough time, over nothing. Years ago, when returning to Canada from a weeks vacation, an obnoxious attendant sent us over to have our car and luggage checked, for no obvious reason. The inspector doing the vehicle check, asked me to open one of the suit cases, which was filled with all of our dirty laundry. He just smiled and said "okay, get going", and ignored everything else.

Veronica

Samantha W
02-24-2012, 05:11 PM
Ok. I just got off the phone with my friend who works for Homeland Security and was for many years in charge of the incoming airport terminals. The answer is:……. It depends…..

It depends on the experience of the agents, what kind of day they are having, how accommodating your attitude is and just how far off you are from the ID you are presenting. This is one area where those of use that don’t pass well have the advantage.

Almost nobody looks exactly like their ID, so they are trained to look for things that are the same, not different. When you deal daily with a hundred different types of religious clothing, everything from Buddhist Monks to Catholic Nuns, Tourists in their local fashions, the Amish and the Muslim Burkes. (Spelling?) us lowly CDer’s are really pretty Ho Hum to any agent that’s been on the job for a few months.

There are dozens of other flags they look for to determine a person of interest. Hair and a clothing style isn’t one of them.

If you are really good, you might have to lift your wig or answer a few extra questions in your male voice, but as soon as they determine that your just another boring Crossdresser, you will be on your way. If they even bother to stop you.

And BTW, in the five years she was in charge, she figures about 2.5 million people came though her stations, Number of guns drawn, 0.

LeaP
02-24-2012, 05:28 PM
I just need to chime in that, as someone who crosses the border regularly on business (I have staff in both the US and CA), the ONLY grillings, detentions, take-em to the back room events, or similar that I've personally witnessed have ALL been by Canadian border agents. I have no problem with that, nor should that be taken to somehow reflect badly on Canadians (I LIKE Canadians), it's just what I've observed. From a personal standpoint, I have found both US and CA border agents well-trained and professional - virtually identical in approach, actually. I see nothing to fear from either.

Lea

Marleena
02-24-2012, 06:37 PM
Thanks for the new replies ladies, very informative.:)

giuseppina
02-24-2012, 08:34 PM
I live within 5 minutes of a border crossing and US customs can pull you in without just cause and literally tear your vehicle apart, seats anything they can remove and then tell you to put it back together. I'm sure they can detain you for as long as they like inside if they feel like it. They do have absolute power over you coming into the US and to me it isnt worth the hassle crossing enfemme. Personally I wouldn't do it.

The same applies for Canadian Customs. I agree that it isn't worth giving customs officers anything to hang their hat on as a person of interest.

Katesback
02-24-2012, 09:26 PM
A famous person once said "the only thing we have to fear is fear itself". Oh yea that was Winston Churchill.

If I were to say from my observations over the years and from working with countless trans people I would have to say the vast majority of CDs 'fear fear itself.

If someone is not afraid they will fit into the world. On the other hand if they are fearful then they tend to stand out like a sore thumb. Perhaps thats why CDs are often so easy to spot they stand out with fear related displays. So even if you were a CD and you somehow were able to put a perfect presentation with a perfect voice and all but you were fearful you would still stand out. Its just that simple.

So come to think about it if you go through customs and are fearful you probably will send up red flags. Now if you were to go through customs and not exhibit fear and they asked you about your ID and you smiled and said your a crossdresser and still had no fear I bet they would send you on your way.

Marleena
02-24-2012, 10:39 PM
Thanks Katie! This has made for a good discussion.

LeaP
02-25-2012, 12:17 AM
If someone is not afraid they will fit into the world. On the other hand if they are fearful then they tend to stand out like a sore thumb.

I think it's more than that. Beyond visibility, fear behavior triggers a predator/dominance response as well.

Lea

Leslie Langford
02-25-2012, 01:32 AM
Kate:

Actually, that famous saying is usually ascribed to WWII U.S. President Franklin Delano Roosevelt, and came out of one of his famous "fireside chat" radio broadcasts. But no matter, and no quibbling about the essence of the message - both he and Winston Churchill were staunch and tenacious defenders of freedom against the dictatorships in place in Nazi Germany and Imperial Japan at the time, and Churchill often said much the same thing. So you only lose 1 point on a technicality

Lea:

I don't doubt what you are saying, but I also can't help but think that this perceived kinder/gentler treatment by the U.S. border guards that you are getting is due in no small part to the fact that you are an American citizen travelling on a U.S. passport, and returning home to your own country of origin. In effect, they are accepting "one of their own" back into the fold when you cross the border back to the US, as opposed to dealing with one of those suspicious "furrinners".

BTW, did you ever consider getting one of those government-issued Nexus cards? That should facilitate the border crossing in both directions considerably...

~Joanne~
02-25-2012, 09:20 AM

OK, I read it, it doesn't specifically say American air space or flights into America BUT it says flying in general no matter where you are headed from Canada. Sounds like it is part of a Canadian version of the patriot act and clearly discriminates against trans gendered people, amongst a whole other slew of people. Without a doubt it's some bad legislation.

As far back as I can remember, and I am closeted so I have never tried crossing the bridge/tunnel en femme, they have always had a thing about pulling over the nicer vehicles or the ones that have tinted windows just to be nosey even if nothing suspicious was taking place

All of this just supports my idea that crossing border or flying en femme is a bad idea, unless of coarse your totally out or in transition. Since 9/11 and the patriot act, alot has change that we don't even begin to know about, and they make alot of claims about this or that because no one has actually read the act.

Nancy poleski ( don't know if the name is right) said the most a**holed thing I have ever heard in my lifetime when they were voting on this act "we need to pass this act to really find out what is in it". which one would think they would know before voting on it.

A lot of CD's dress just to dress and I just think it's a bit too much of a hassle to cross borders dressed. I like the suggestion that you dress once your across :)

LeaP
02-25-2012, 01:50 PM
Lea:

I don't doubt what you are saying, but I also can't help but think that this perceived kinder/gentler treatment by the U.S. border guards that you are getting is due in no small part to the fact that you are an American citizen travelling on a U.S. passport, and returning home to your own country of origin. In effect, they are accepting "one of their own" back into the fold when you cross the border back to the US, as opposed to dealing with one of those suspicious "furrinners".

BTW, did you ever consider getting one of those government-issued Nexus cards? That should facilitate the border crossing in both directions considerably...

Oh, it has nothing to do with my treatment. I've invariably had the cursory question or two, the quick glance, stamp, NEXT! from agents in both countries. The events I cited happened to other people. I've had Indian staff denied entry, traveling companions pulled into the inspection room at Toronto City Airport (Porter Air), witnessed people getting absolutely grilled at Pearson coming into CA, seen CA agents taking people off in cuffs, etc.

I have considered Nexus but haven't gotten the card yet. What triggered the thought is the experience of arriving at Pearson just behind a couple of gigantic double-deckers arriving from Asia ... and waiting in the CA Customs line for an hour and a half, backed up well past the rear doors. (Anyone who knows this airport gets an immediate picture of how many people that is.) It's happened 3 or 4 times.

Lea

Katesback
02-25-2012, 04:01 PM
Perhaps some day crossdressers will stand up and fight for thier rights. Till then I see them hiding in the shadows and closets. Is it sad? Well let me put it this way. I have over the years listened to CDs complain about 1000 socitial issues they percieve they face. The downside of this is that an extremely small percentage actually get out in the real world (GLBT venues really dont count) and live thier lives.

Oh well just talking out loud.

Marleena
02-25-2012, 04:37 PM
@ Katie, it's not all doom and gloom. There are many CD girls on this board out and about and some are even doing events to educate the general public. They are opening doors for all of us, be it CD/TG/TS. I give credit where credit is due.

I'm just not so sure being brave without proper identification at an international border crossing makes anybody a coward. That's why I posted to see if people had actually attempted it while dressed. I mean if you don't look like your I.D. the red flags will come up. I also don't know how long they can detain you, etc.

Contessa
02-25-2012, 04:58 PM
Marleena

I wish I could be there with you in either Canada or Detroit. I am originally from Detroit and only left there as I had entered to US Navy. I have been back a few times but did not dress while there. I want to return as I now know that Janet's Closet is nearby. So no I have not crossed the border dressed. Please put in a good word for me the next time you are in my hometown.

Tess

Marleena
02-25-2012, 05:02 PM
Marleena

I wish I could be there with you in either Canada or Detroit. I am originally from Detroit and only left there as I had entered to US Navy. I have been back a few times but did not dress while there. I want to return as I now know that Janet's Closet is nearby. So no I have not crossed the border dressed. Please put in a good word for me the next time you are in my hometown.

Tess

First of all thanks for service in the Navy, Tess. I'll do what I can from here.:)

AllieSF
02-25-2012, 05:04 PM
Marleena,

Please put in a good word for me too. I am also an ex-Michigander and have shopped many times out at Twelve Oaks mall in Novi, which was very close to where my Mom lived.

Contessa: You should also try Gigi's and The Rainbow Room while back in the Detroit area.

I always noticed that the Customs agents going into Canada were always the most brusque and almost unfriendly when I cross the border. However, talking with the Canadians who came to the USA, they would say the same thing about the US Customs Agents. I think that they are trained to asked those quick hard questions to try to get people to slip up and help identify themselves as good candidates to search and question further. I think it probably works quite well and that they catch people who should be caught.

Katesback
02-25-2012, 05:04 PM
OK to answer you question. When I went to Thailand for SRS I went with credentials that said I was male. Granted everything else was correct but I was Male. On the way home I was NOT male but my passport said I was Male. I cannot say that ANYONE gave me any issues whatsoever. Of course I did not exhibit any fears or out of place presentations. I really did not care what the people thought of me. It was what it was.

@ Katie, it's not all doom and gloom. There are many CD girls on this board out and about and some are even doing events to educate the general public. They are opening doors for all of us, be it CD/TG/TS. I give credit where credit is due.

I'm just not so sure being brave without proper identification at an international border crossing makes anybody a coward. That's why I posted to see if people had actually attempted it while dressed. I mean if you don't look like your I.D. the red flags will come up. I also don't know how long they can detain you, etc.

Marleena
02-25-2012, 05:10 PM
OK to answer you question. When I went to Thailand for SRS I went with credentials that said I was male. Granted everything else was correct but I was Male. On the way home I was NOT male but my passport said I was Male. I cannot say that ANYONE gave me any issues whatsoever. It was what it was.

Thanks Katie. I'm not trying to argue with you, just so you know.:)

I also understand your motives for pushing people to take charge of their lives and promote the cause. We all want to be accepted and the only way it will happen is if we get out there and make it happen.

Marleena
02-25-2012, 05:21 PM
Marleena,

Please put in a good word for me too. I am also an ex-Michigander and have shopped many times out at Twelve Oaks mall in Novi, which was very close to where my Mom lived.

I always noticed that the Customs agents going into Canada were always the most brusque and almost unfriendly when I cross the border. However, talking with the Canadians who came to the USA, they would say the same thing about the US Customs Agents. I think that they are trained to asked those quick hard questions to try to get people to slip up and help identify themselves as good candidates to search and question further. I think it probably works quite well and that they catch people who should be caught.

You got it Allie!

Yes, it appears to be the same for us at U.S. customs. Like I mentioned earlier stopped twice and car searched simply because it was black, expensive, with dark tint windows. In fact there was one other time I had the dog teams (3 different teams) check my car (same car) 3 times before I even got to inspection. It must have been a high alert day, and that was unsettling for me. Using the wife's car stopped all of that.

Katesback
02-25-2012, 05:24 PM
Well to be precise yes I always encourage people to live thier lives with confidence. I do want to clarify that I am not so keen on activism. Personally I think a CD out and about in the real world doing normal people things dressed as a normal woman is the best activism one could ever ask for. That does not imply one need to talk to other people about being a crossdresser. I just think if you live your life people really dont give a shit.

The downside with crossdressers is the self imposed fear and shame. Ya cant expect people to take you seriously when the bulk of your population is not willing to stand up for themselves. The same point of view applies to GAY PRIDE events. I hate those things because the media gets to see them acting like ferries and then it makes it harder to convince the normal population they they deserve equal rights.

I am rambling. I really dont belong in the CD section but the TS section was pretty borring the last couple days so I came here for the heck of it. Thank you for reading my posts.

Katie

Thanks Katie. I'm not trying to argue with you, just so you know.:)

I also understand your motives for pushing people to take charge of their lives and promote the cause. We all want to be accepted and the only way it will happen is if we get out there and make it happen.

Marleena
02-25-2012, 05:29 PM
I am rambling. I really dont belong in the CD section but the TS section was pretty borring the last couple days so I came here for the heck of it. Thank you for reading my posts.

Katie

I will argue with you on this though, you belong in this section just as much as any of us do.:) We can post anywhere we want, our gender status shouldn't matter.

Leslie Langford
02-25-2012, 05:51 PM
Marleena,

Contessa: You should also try Gigi's and The Rainbow Room while back in the Detroit area.

Maybe part of the reason is that Windsor, Ontario was always a favorite "go-to" destination for the Detroit area college-age "jackass" crowd for whom it is a party destination because the legal age for drinking is lower in Ontario than in Michigan, and the strippers there are allowed to bare more as well as engage in nude lap-dancing ;). Now there's a Casino in Windsor as well to provide an extra drawing card...

These "party-hearty" types can inject a lot of cash into a local economy in a very targeted way, but their behavior once they are over-the-top drunk can cause a lot of collateral damage as well.

JustineFallow
02-25-2012, 11:33 PM
Marleena, are you a Windsorite as well?

Speaking for myself, I'd never try to cross into the US while dressed even on a dare. My own impression of their customs officers is that the overwhelming majority of them are fine, courteous people; I've crossed the border literally hundreds of times to form that impression. But if you get one that's on a power trip, having a bad day, etc.? You'll wish you stayed home. With my luck, I'd get one of those on my first en femme trip. Going over in drab and dressing up, if you're going to be over for a few days or something, is what I do. I don't even bring any CD'ing stuff with me because I know I can buy new stuff much cheaper over there!

All that said, I'd love one day to cross back into Canada dressed. Not like they can refuse me entry, right? ;)