PDA

View Full Version : The Lady or the Family?

Kate Simmons
02-23-2012, 09:15 AM
If someone close to you,who really knew all about you, such as your SO or a close friend or relative asked you straight out: "What is more important to you, the CDing or the family?", how would you answer such a question?:)

Beth Mays
02-23-2012, 09:17 AM
I have been ask that very question by my wife....
My reply.... "I hope my family can help me find a balance."

As for now it is working...

Beth

BRANDYJ
02-23-2012, 09:42 AM
My answer is a no brainer. My family. Or more directly, my one and only SO. She's about all the family I have.
Beth, I liked your response to your wife's question. I have not been asked that question by my SO, but we find a happy balance for the both of us.

Karren H
02-23-2012, 09:46 AM
Family
Job
Just about everything else in my life
Crossdressing

STACY B
02-23-2012, 09:55 AM
Most of us already have done it an its not easy but it would have to be the family ,, An that comes with a price also,, If I had to STOP I would but then I would have no choice but to stop dressing an start back drinking ,,Its the lesser of two EVILS ,,,, So make the choice ,, DRUNK AZZ HOLE or SWEET fat GIRL ,,, tAKE YOUR PIC ,,, The worlds not fair ,, It was not fair to me ,,,, So what makes anyone else any different ,, Everybody has something wrong with em ,,,, Just some are different than others ,, What ever is the matter with ya its all on you to make the final choice .

BRANDYJ
02-23-2012, 09:56 AM
Family
Job
Blue jeans
Crossdressing

I had to correct your post before someone else did Karen. You left out your favorite! LOL

Beverley Sims
02-23-2012, 10:01 AM
Family,
x
x
x
A lot of other things.
x
Cross Dressing
No it probably is not near the bottom.
It is probably not far down the list either.
Family and getting on with life do come first.
It is just an all consuming hobby.

KarenCDFL
02-23-2012, 11:11 AM
Before I married, I made sure that my wife-to-be was comfortable with my cross dressing. I think we all know what can happen if we repress our dressing desires for a long length of time.

Needless to say, I love my wife of 16 + years very much but the fact is how happy could we be if we had to hide or put off these strong internal desires just for the sake of the family?

The repression would definitely affect the relationship depending on how we could deal with not being able to express ourselves as we need to.

So getting back to the question, most people say family first and honestly that would be my choice as well but waiting for the CD volcano to explode could possibly destroy that family.

I am one of the lucky ones who because I was honest about my dressing before well before we married, my wife got used to the idea and because it was brought up pre-marriage, it gave both of us an out if the situation was not workable by either of us.

Just my One-Cent, Lost the other Cent in the Economy.

Contessa
02-23-2012, 12:35 PM
I have lost the battle with this question. I tried to choose the family, but they can't accept me. Yes I waited too long to tell my wife (38 years). So the lady wins, which one you ask I don't know. I am still hear though til I can afford another place. I meant no harm to anyone. I just can't go back to being the sad depressed man. Better off a happy lady, which one both I guess.

Miranda-E
02-23-2012, 12:48 PM
Since that type of question is a manipulating tool, I'd answer "not sure abut the rest of the family but its more important than you."

Cheryl T
02-23-2012, 01:04 PM
Family of course, but if I am not comfortable with who I am then how can I be my best for the family?

Wendy_Marie
02-23-2012, 01:15 PM
I would ask them "Whats more important to you...Having me in your life as a Live Female or a Dead Male?"...cause those are the choices as I see them at the moment.

Leslie Langford
02-23-2012, 01:43 PM
That's a loaded question, and not one prone to an easy black-or-white answer.

I guess my knee-jerk response would be to answer with a rhetorical question of my own: Who has the right - SO's included - to force anyone to make such a "Sophie's Choice" type of a decision between the two, when surely some other type of compromise could conceivably be negotiated. For those of us whose transgenderism is so intricately tied to their sense of self and who they fundamentally are, deep down inside - who has the right to force us into a position where our very mental health is at stake, and where we risk slipping into a depression if we are forced to suppress such an integral part of ourselves - just because the other party doesn't "like" it? It would not be a huge stretch to equate those types of demands to outright bullying on the part of those making them of us.

And before all the GG's here come after me brandishing pitchforks and torches, the operative word here is "compromise". Yes, I get it. Many of us did not reveal this side of ourselves to you before we were well into the relationship or were married because we were working on the assumption that this was just a passing phase (NOT!). And yes, we recognize that this is something that you didn't sign up for originally. But then again, we were embarking on a journey of self-discovery at the time - much the same as the journey that you are on now tying to make sense of all this and wondering how to move forward knowing what you now know.

But putting a gun to our heads and forcing us to make such a "lose-lose" choice is unfair when other, more middle-of-the road solutions can work instead, and where each party's dignity and sense of self-worth is not sacrificed in the process. In my own situation, I'm prepared to accept certain boundaries within the DADT framework of our marriage. Trouble is, my wife tends to move the goalposts from time to time depending on her disposition on any given day. From some of the other posts that I've seen on these forums, I'm sure that many of the other ladies here can relate.

But the bottom line is that we didn't choose transgenderism; transgenderism chose us, and all we are trying to do is live as "normal" a life as we can under the circumstances while continuously carrying this monkey on our backs. So cut us some slack, already, and enough of the "my way or the highway; choose me and the family or your crossdressing" type of bullying. As the ancient Chinese curse puts it: "Be careful what you wish for, you might just get it..."

Barbara Ella
02-23-2012, 02:14 PM
My answer, or evasive answer, or non answer would depend on who really was asking the question. Close friend gets a non answer because it is a personal family matter. relative gets an evasive answer because i would figure they were trying to stir up trouble.

The answer to my wife would be to sit down and discuss the reason for this question at this time. Is there something going on in her mind? Have I done something recently that calls into question the family commitment? Has she suddenly developed an aversion to my dressing? After a thorough discussion I would answer, and prepare to follow through on whatever answer was given. Just know that I love my family more than i love myself, but one would cost a lot more in therapy than the other.

Babes

VioletJourney
02-23-2012, 02:16 PM
Which family? Because I hate my immediate family (dad and brother).

DonnaT
02-23-2012, 02:20 PM
My wife has asked a similar question.

My answer, she is more important, but I can never quit CDing. Tried it for her several times, and failed. She knows it, but need reminding, I reckon.

Alice B
02-23-2012, 02:26 PM
The family wins hands down. But, I'm lucky in that the whole family knows and accepts with out question.

suzy1
02-23-2012, 02:31 PM
My family is the most important thing in my life. There is nothing more important. It’s as simple as that!
You should see my little grandson wow!!!!!!!!!!!

~Joanne~
02-23-2012, 02:33 PM
That's a loaded question, and not one prone to an easy black-or-white answer.

I guess my knee-jerk response would be to answer with a rhetorical question of my own: Who has the right - SO's included - to force anyone to make such a "Sophie's Choice" type of a decision between the two, when surely some other type of compromise could conceivably be negotiated. For those of us whose transgenderism is so intricately tied to their sense of self and who they fundamentally are, deep down inside - who has the right to force us into a position where our very mental health is at stake, and where we risk slipping into a depression if we are forced to suppress such an integral art of ourselves - just because the other party doesn't "like" it? It would not be a huge stretch to equate those types of demands to outright bullying on the part of those making them of us.

And before all the GG's here come after me brandishing pitchforks and torches, the operative word here is "compromise". Yes, I get it. Many of us did not reveal this side of ourselves to you before we were well into the relationship or were married because we were working on the assumption that this was just a passing phase (NOT!). And yes, we recognize that this is something that you didn't sign up for originally. But then again, we were embarking on a journey of self-discovery at the time - much the same as the journey that you are on now tying to make sense of all this and wondering how to move forward knowing what you now know.

But putting a gun to our heads and forcing us to make such a "lose-lose" choice is unfair when other, more middle-of-the road solutions can work instead, and where each party's dignity and sense of self-worth is not sacrificed in the process. In my own situation, I'm prepared to accept certain boundaries within the DADT framework of our marriage. Trouble is, my wife tends to move the goalposts from time to time depending on her disposition on any given day. From some of the other posts that I've seen on these forums, I'm sure that many of the other ladies here can relate.

But the bottom line is that we didn't choose transgenderism; transgenderism chose us, and all we are trying to do is live as "normal" a life as we can under the circumstances while continuously carrying this monkey on our backs. So cut us some slack, already, and enough of the "my way or the highway; choose me and the family or your crossdressing" type of bullying. As the ancient Chinese curse puts it: "Be careful what you wish for, you might just get it..."

Wow, this is probably to date one of the best written responses that I have read on this forum. Very nice Leslie:) The key word is "compromise". It's the foundation solid relationships are built on.

I have a really hard time accepting someone's idea that wearing clothing, even typically designed for women clothing, gives anyone the right to make rules and such. When women started wearing men's boxers as shorts (amongst all the other clothing that was male but women wore regardless) did we gain that same right? No, we did not and I wouldn't want to anyways.

Flent
02-23-2012, 02:41 PM
I'm a GG but not involved with a transgendered person, so take my opinion for what it's worth. But I think if I gave that kind of ultimatum, it would mean I felt threatened by the crossdressing behaviour as it related to our family.

If a grown man told me his self-expression was more important than the stability of relationships we had with our families, our friends and our kids, I'd be hurt. If his crossdressing threatened the job that put food on our table, I'd be livid. Those fears, whether well-founded or entirely baseless, are what would prompt a question like that.

The best answer is "family" and then an explanation of how crossdressing fits with the lifestyle and dreams you have together. Or if it doesn't fit at all, then at least how to minimize the impact. I agree with Leslie that it's about compromise.

Brittany CD
02-23-2012, 03:02 PM
The family. I love to crossdress, but I'd give it up for family, more specifically my girlfriend/wife

BRANDYJ
02-23-2012, 03:10 PM
If someone close to you,who really knew all about you, such as your SO or a close friend or relative asked you straight out: "What is more important to you, the CDing or the family?", how would you answer such a question?:)

The original post was not about given a choice between family and friends. It simply asked the question of what's more important to you FAMILY or CDing if asked by a someone close to you such as a close friend or your SO. It was not written as an ultimatum from just a wife.

RADER
02-23-2012, 03:11 PM
I had to correct your post before someone else did Karen. You left out your favorite! LOL

Thank You Brandyj;
You are correct, except just below cross-dressing, goes Playing Hokey.

Rader

danielle3
02-23-2012, 03:15 PM
My family, for sure. As far as I know my kids do not know, they have never hinted in any way. I'm currently in a two-year dry spell according to my wife's wishes. She has been at many stages from slightly accepting to utterly against which is where she is now. I'm respecting her current mood but I hope there may be a bit of a thaw sometime soon.

Nikki A.
02-23-2012, 03:17 PM
Abby we've discussed some of this over coffee. Family comes first over anything. That said, I hope that if this is as important to me is that the family will be able to accept and we can come up with a compromise, just like I had with my wife.

BRANDYJ
02-23-2012, 03:20 PM
I know Radar. I just did not want to push it since hockey to me, is like what blue jeans to Karen. But I still love her.
I once went to a fight and a hockey game broke out! (sorry Karen) LOL

Lorileah
02-23-2012, 04:19 PM
Family is always important but ultimatums are never good. Life should not be an either/or. Happiness for all is the most important. Controlling someones life just makes things worse

Connie D50
02-23-2012, 04:33 PM
If Family wasn't more imprtant the friend wouldn't have to ask he or she would be talking to Connie :-)

Foxglove
02-23-2012, 05:13 PM
Family
Job
Crossdressing

Karren, you're the last person I'd want to start an argument with. I know better than that. Neither am I the sort of person who tries to tell others what they think. It's just that, well, um, er, it's like this: when somebody looks as good as you do, it's hard for me to believe that CDing is absolutely bottom of your list. Just the impression I have. Not trying to tell you what your life is like.

I thought Leslie Langford also gave a very good answer to this question.

My own answer will make it clear what my family relations have often been like. If certain members of my family were to ask me, "What's more important to you--CDing or family?", I'd turn it around on them and ask, "What's more important to you? My happiness, or your pushing me around and browbeating me and pressuring me and twisting me up in knots, trying to make me a carbon copy of you?"

Silentpartner GG SO
02-23-2012, 05:33 PM

Leslie Langford I'm at a loss to know why, when this post was made by a person who I am assuming is a TG, you have you felt the need to reply in such a defensive way? I sense a real hostility towards wives/GG's in your post.

The original post asked "what is most important to you, CD'ing or the family" not "choose which you want - CD'ing or me"

I find it really sad to read such a hostile post - once again GG's are getting a lecture on how they should react despite the fact that throughout this whole thread not one GG has made a negative or "inflexible attitude" post! How can you expect us to be understanding, flexible and compromising when we get an unprovoked tongue lashing like that?

Lynn Marie
02-23-2012, 06:19 PM
If you haven't read Leslie's reply, you should. She's already nailed this whole discussion down with a concise and well thought out answer. It just doesn't get any better than that, Leslie. Thanks so much.

Silentpartner GG SO
02-23-2012, 06:25 PM
"OK.....erm........Can we do the Does My Bum Look Fat one again instead?"

To the original poster. That isn't a proper question. That's a question a woman asks with a meat clever in one hand and eyes that don't quite point in the same direction. "What is more important? Our wedding anniversary or the super bowl?" "What is more important. Your daughter's first communion or darts night?"
and so on.

Yeah Scarlet, I like the "does my bum look big in this" one much better! lol

sissystephanie
02-23-2012, 06:30 PM
Since I dress enfemme purely for pleasure, I would definitely say my family without any question!! I am a widower, with 2 wonderful children and 5 grandchildren counting grandaughter-in-laws!! They are all much more important to me than dressing enfemme ever will be. And FYI, I have been dressing for almost 70 years!!

Karren H
02-23-2012, 07:21 PM
Thank You Brandyj;
You are correct, except just below cross-dressing, goes Playing Hokey.

Rader

Can't believe I forgot to put hockey down. Guess its because I only have 2 games this month... It would go just above crossdressing on my "have to list". And just below family on my "want to list". Lol.

Kaz
02-23-2012, 07:49 PM
I know this could become one of those deep philosophical questions but this really is a no-brainer for me. My first commitment is to my family and that is it. It is how I have lived my life and when I see my 5 year old grandaughter this weekend it all makes sense. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Now the deeper questions about their accepting Kaz is not explicit in the OP question for me, although Leslie's response was great. I have chosen a path of not requiring them to know about or accept my CD side. It may have been a bad choice. But on Sunday, when we have her for the day... I will be the happiest person around. And the choice is... family or CD. Would I wish these guys out of my life just so I can wear a skirt?

Hmm... I don't think so!

Leslie Langford
02-23-2012, 08:20 PM
Leslie Langford I'm at a loss to know why, when this post was made by a person who I am assuming is a TG, you have you felt the need to reply in such a defensive way? I sense a real hostility towards wives/GG's in your post.

The original post asked "what is most important to you, CD'ing or the family" not "choose which you want - CD'ing or me"

I find it really sad to read such a hostile post - once again GG's are getting a lecture on how they should react despite the fact that throughout this whole thread not one GG has made a negative or "inflexible attitude" post! How can you expect us to be understanding, flexible and compromising when we get an unprovoked tongue lashing like that?

Well, the way I see it, Silentpartner, Abigail threw a very general question out there to see what kind of a response it would attract, and I happened to interpret it in my own particular way.

Actually, it is a rather loaded question along the lines of "Does this make my butt look fat" as Scarlet Rose alluded to, and as we all know, anyone answering such a question with total honesty does so at their own peril.

I'm sorry if you find that my post sounds hostile towards GG's, but I'm the type who calls 'em as I see 'em, and I think that I speak for most other forum members here who are locked into this kind of dance with their non- or barely-accepting/tolerant SO's.

I would surmise from the subliminal message projected by your screen name here i.e. Silentpartner (with the emphasis on the Silent part) that you are the type of SO who is accommodating and non-confrontational with regard to your partner's crossdressing. That is not the reality for many other members here, a lot of whom find that their wives use their guilt and shame over their crossdressing to try to manipulate and control them - sometimes even to the point of being bullies about it to get their way and define the relationship on their own terms.

So within that context, the question of whether the crossdresser would be inclined to chose either his family or his crossdressing over the other falls into the realm of manipulation as far as I am concerned. It is also an unfair question, because unless the issue of the male partner's crossdressing is being used as the basis of a power struggle between the two and constitutes a red herring that masks other, more fundamental problems in the relationship, then there are other ways to address this concern.

And that other way - to my mind - is a mutually agreeable compromise wherein both partner's needs are addressed equally and in a respectful manner.

NicoleScott
02-23-2012, 08:22 PM
Reading through the posts, I was going to offer a brief response. Then I read Leslie Langford's post and decided that I could not say it better. My jaw dropped when I read that silentpartner (brandishing pitchfork and torch - didn't get the memo) saw Leslie's post as hostile. Wow.
Something I learned long ago: don't ask questions you really don't want an answer to. Same thing with an ultimatum: don't give someone a choice you don't want him to take.

Chrisnel
02-23-2012, 08:33 PM
Firstly, I have to wonder who would ask such a question and secondly, even if I could give up dressing, that's only the outward manifestation of the beautiful woman I am inside. I could just as soon stop the sun in its flight as make her go away.

AnitaH
02-23-2012, 09:58 PM
Wendy Marie summed it up for me. Before I married my wife I told her about my CD activities and it was understood that it was stopping. Many years of stopping, purging, suppression, and guilt took its toll. I became just a shell of a person, numb, unfeeling and uncaring. I had no idea who I was and was just existing from one day to the next. If my wife hadn't insisted on therapy 3 years ago, it's likely that I wouldn't be here now, I'm sure suicide wasn't far off.

My family is very important to me but I am tans-gendered and perhaps transsexual. I didn't ask for it but it is who I am and I cannot stop being me. I tried that and I cannot, will not ever go back there again. I'd rather have them rip an arm off.

My wife has been more supportive than I expected but it is difficult for her. She does understand that this is a part of who I am. I don't yet know how far down this road I am going and she doesn't know how far she can go. There is a real possibility that if I travel too far down this road (considering transition) that it could have a huge cost to me. But I'm sure most people would agree that a live femme me is far better than a dead drab me.

AnitaH

Jacqueline Winona
02-23-2012, 10:04 PM
Family 1st, then horses, then sports, then dressing. :) Not always what I want, but it isn't all bad either.

cdsara
02-23-2012, 10:13 PM
So my wife posted this querstion to me, her or the dressing. stop completely! What would you do?

Flent
02-23-2012, 10:30 PM
What are her objections to the dressing?

sandra-leigh
02-23-2012, 10:35 PM
I've had my Year From Hell of being severely depressed (call it a "mental breakdown" and you wouldn't be too far off.) In the years of recovery from that, I discovered that I am transgendered, and acting on that has allowed me to live again. For me to go back to "male" would be to go back to that living hell of being no use to anyone at all, laying on the couch unable to complete thoughts more complicated than "I'm really sick". Bad enough that I couldn't even look more than 10 feet ahead -- too much information, too complicated for me.

Would you willingly sever your higher brain functions and become a virtual animal just because your family asked it? If not, then why not -- don't you love them enough?

I can't go back to the way things were. It is no real choice for me.

Note: I am only talking about the situation for me personally, not making a general statement.

WsprsOnTheWind
02-23-2012, 10:53 PM
My answer is a no brainer. My family. Or more directly, my one and only SO. She's about all the family I have.
Beth, I liked your response to your wife's question. I have not been asked that question by my SO, but we find a happy balance for the both of us.

Brandy, as usual your posts are insightful and very uplifting to read. They give me hope.

I would add that the answer to the OP's question is going to depend on the level of selfishness of the individual(s).

Miranda-E
02-23-2012, 10:58 PM
So my wife posted this querstion to me, her or the dressing. stop completely! What would you do?

I'd find a new SO because I'd obviously picked the wrong one.

SweetPea_GG
02-24-2012, 12:33 AM
I'm sorry if you find that my post sounds hostile towards GG's, but I'm the type who calls 'em as I see 'em, and I think that I speak for most other forum members here who are locked into this kind of dance with their non- or barely-accepting/tolerant SO's.

I would surmise from the subliminal message projected by your screen name here i.e. Silentpartner (with the emphasis on the Silent part) that you are the type of SO who is accommodating and non-confrontational with regard to your partner's crossdressing. That is not the reality for many other members here, a lot of whom find that their wives use their guilt and shame over their crossdressing to try to manipulate and control them - sometimes even to the point of being bullies about it to get their way and define the relationship on their own terms.

So within that context, the question of whether the crossdresser would be inclined to chose either his family or his crossdressing over the other falls into the realm of manipulation as far as I am concerned. It is also an unfair question, because unless the issue of the male partner's crossdressing is being used as the basis of a power struggle between the two and constitutes a red herring that masks other, more fundamental problems in the relationship, then there are other ways to address this concern.

And that other way - to my mind - is a mutually agreeable compromise wherein both partner's needs are addressed equally and in a respectful manner.

*finds my pitchfork and torch* ;) lol.. anyways to start off the OP question was asking what is "more important" (as in on your priorities list where does CD or family fall).. the question was NOT asking if you would CHOOSE family before CDing or CDing before family.. so maybe when you read it in that aspect or view things might become more clear when a GG is wondering why such a winded response which is kinda on the topic but not quite cause the post was more about "choosing" and not as in "priority"

That being said ofcourse a GG is going to be upset if her CDing SO said well you cant make me choose which is more important to me thats not fair.. My belief is family first.. that is what is more important to me.. they are my life my blood my everything.. my husband is my everything.. If your family (SO) cant be more important then a skirt then there is a problem I think.. Many many times I hear you all say "I dont see what her problem is.. its ONLY CLOTHES".... then if its only clothes for you then it should be easy to put your family first on your list of priorities right?.. I know there are some where it goes much deeper then clothing.. and thats when you need to sit down with your SO and have a big long talk and figure out where your own priorities fall at..

As far as forum members being "Locked into this kind of dance with their non or barley accepting SOs... they arnt locked into anything its a choice they make to stay.. It was the choice they made when they decided to enter a relationship with their secret.. and years later their SO finding out or them telling their SO...

So again ill end with what the OP poster said.. they asked "What is more important"... they did not say "choose between the 2"..

Rachel Morley
02-24-2012, 12:46 AM
IMHO it's the 51% rule. If you are in a relationship and you put the other person's wishes ahead of your own at least 51% of the time then your relationship will probably last and you will live (for the most part) in harmony. Give more than you take. :2c:

Jenny Green
02-24-2012, 12:53 AM
Family. That's why no one will ever ask me this question, because I'm in the closet to protect my family.

Melody Phillips
02-24-2012, 04:45 AM
My family. I will always put them before my own needs,wants and desires.

Kate Simmons
02-24-2012, 05:26 AM
Thanks to everyone for their thoughtful responses. In my own case, the family was always first and foremost, especially when my children were growing up. Once they left the nest things changed and due to several reasons my wife and I grew apart and my focus shifted. I definately have no regrets for putting the family first and am a Father, fist, last and always.:)

sandra-leigh
02-24-2012, 06:54 AM
I would add that the answer to the OP's question is going to depend on the level of selfishness of the individual(s).

Do say more? I know that I am having difficulty reconciling my feelings that I am being selfish about my gender priorities, versus two different therapist telling me that No, my problem is not being selfish enough for my own good.

jillleanne
02-24-2012, 07:05 AM
It has nothing to do with importance. Expressing my gender self is a natural genetic personal attribute. Loving my family is a natural genetic human reaction. There meeds not be any conflict between either. Any conflict is self administered at the onset.

suchacutie
02-24-2012, 10:37 AM
My answer would be, "I hope I prioritize everything in my life appropriately. My relationship with my wife is first, then we go from there as that relationship makes everything else possible."

Silentpartner GG SO
02-24-2012, 02:22 PM
SweetPea - thanks - you got what I was on about! lol

NicoleScott - I can assure you my pitchfork is still in the cupboard, along with my broomstick, and as for the torch- well I didnt even get as far as lighting the match. I really dont believe my post was flaming Leslie - but if it came across that way then it was more to do with how I worded it than the intent behind it and if I offended Leslie, it certainly wasnt my intention.

Leslie, thankyou for your reply - you have rightly deduced from my screen name that I am ok with my partners cross-dressing. I was of course pretty shocked to be told about it - 4 months ago, 29 years into our marriage and a total of 31 years together, but we are getting there. I'm willing to compromise as is my OH

I can only imagine how agonising it must be for both parties if the wife just cannot or will not accept the situation - but just as the TS or CD cannot change the way he/she is, neither probably can the wife - she has her feelings, whether she likes them or not and they are just as valid. It's a horrible situation to be in and somebody invariably gets hurt.

Personally I wouldn't ask my OH to choose between me and his CD'ing- it would be unfair and unwise - I might not like the answer!! If it ever gets to the stage where I cant handle it, I will leave. An ultimatum is pointless unless the person giving it is willing to accept that they might not get the result they are hoping for.

IMO when reading any of the post on this forum, I feel we often only hear one person's side of the story - it may well be that the wife is uncompromising or bullying etc. this may of course be absolutely true - there are almost certainly plenty of wicked wives out there - but the other side of the coin may be that the CD'er has "come out" to his wife, and she has initially been fine and accepting, but then the CD'er takes that as carte blanche to start dressing 24/7 or wont stop spending etc. and goes full steam ahead without looking back to see the wife shell-shocked in his wake. No surprises then if th wife gets very miffed about it and all the acceptance and comprise goes right out the window!
I hasten to add this is not the case in my relationship - but I know it happens. I just think it is sensible to bear in mind that there are always two sides to any story.

Joanne f
02-24-2012, 03:12 PM
The family comes first , but (always that but):D there was a time that some could say i did not think of my family at a certain point in my life and to be honest i would agree with them , it is difficult to completely control transgenderism .

NicoleScott
02-24-2012, 03:24 PM
Silentpartner - your post above certainly clarifies for me your reaction to Leslie's post, and also shows your understanding of the difficulties crossdressing can bring to a relationship. I originally saw your characterization of Leslie's post as hostile as....well, hostile. Sometimes our words don't match our intent, and I apologize for my overreaction.
I have seen both sides of it: my first wife could not be married to a crossdressing husband, period, and we divorced. Now, my wife knows, accepts, understands, tolerates, etc. but chooses not to participate in my crossdressing. It works for us.

Sweet Pea, I agree, we were not asked to choose, but the question the OP posed was that family/close friends/SO asked which was more important. This is different than the OP asking. When a wife asks, it's not like asking which do you like better, green or blue. There is likely something behind the question. Many saw this as a trap question, and responded accordingly.
The best answers to the question are the ones that don't make the choice, but explain that they can't or shouldn't have to make the choice. Jilleanna said it well in post #53.

Which is more important, eating or breathing?

Silentpartner GG SO
02-24-2012, 03:44 PM
Thanks Nicole - its the one problem with the written word - it can often inadvertently be taken the wrong way -

charlie
02-24-2012, 05:16 PM
I too have been asked this question by my wife. She still believes that I can control my dressing urges and simply not dress. Perhaps she is right, but I reply that I would be a mess! She then asks why I have to dress and I reply that I do not know. That I wish that I did not have to. Many of us have been in these question and answer situations! I wish this would all go away. My life would be much easier! However, it has been going on since I was 5.

Ally 2112
02-24-2012, 05:54 PM
I was never actually asked this question by my x wife .But i always put my family first and always will .My daughters do not know and hopefully will not ever know .In the end it did not matter she still felt i chose it over everthing especially her

Judith96a
02-28-2012, 01:22 PM
Family. That's why no one will ever ask me this question, because I'm in the closet to protect my family.

You and me both Jenny!

And yet, there's no such thing as an entirely secure closet - there's always the chance that no matter how careful we are that some day we'll slip up and suddenly find ourself on the wrong side of the closet door, having been inadvertently outed! I don't want to even imagine the fallout of that happening! Some might perceive our willingness to take THAT risk as evidence of us placing more importance on our CDing than on our family. And if I'm honest with myself then I have to admit that I'm not entirely sure that they're not correct (ouch!). That's a rather unconfortable thought!

I just hope that I never get asked the question!

kimdl93
02-28-2012, 01:51 PM
Not any doubt - family comes first.