PDA

View Full Version : Chickens, Saddles, and MAC

Anne2345
02-24-2012, 04:10 PM
Let me start off by saying that I love MAC cosmetics. More to the point, I love going to any MAC store in person, speaking to the staff about my specific needs, soliciting makeup tips and advice, viewing makeup demonstrations, and purchasing my own makeup and brushes.

Over the past half a year or so, given the numerous trips I have made to my local MAC store, my MAC makeup collection has grown ridiculously large. In fact, I have retired all of my old makeup in favor of MAC makeup. But of course, everything I purchase, I simply must have, and absolutely need. I mean, I can't not go without it, right? :)

But for me, I purchase my makeup in person at MAC stores for reasons other than merely growing my makeup collection or branching out. Primarily, I visit MAC stores because the MAC associates are an absolutely wonderful, nice, helpful, friendly, and non-judgemental folk. When I discuss my needs or request makeup tips with a MAC associate, I am treated no differently than if I was just another valued female client. In this, I am given all of the time and undivided attention I request and need. I am treated as if I am a valued customer, because I am valued. Even moreso, I am appreciated for who and what I am. The experience is validating in the extreme, and serves to further legitimize my existence.

So given this wonderful mecca of acceptance, and how comfortable I have become purchasing my own makeup and clothing over the last half a year, how could I not feel at home at MAC? Especially at MAC, where the staff goes out of their way to ensure a positive experience? Mostly, I do feel quite at home when I shop there. However, yesterday I was a bit down. In an attempt to cheer myself up, I thought why not visit MAC, check out the makeup, catch up with the associates, and make some purchases? Talk about a recipe for an improved mood, or so I thought . . . .

Anyways, while travelling to the MAC store, I began feeling really nervous and uncomfortable. The closer I got to the store, the greater the feeling. When I actually arrived, I could not go in! For whatever reason(s), I could not face, acknowledge, or talk to the associates. I did the ole walking back and forth trick, trying to summon up and focus my courage, but to no avail. Ultimately, I just gave up without going in, walked away, got back into my car, and drove off. I chickened out! And this upset me.

Today being a new day, though, and having suffered the inner shame of having chickened out on something I had successfully and comfortably performed many times in the past, I felt like I had to get back in the saddle and go back. So at lunch time, I did exactly that. I took a long, extended lunch, and drove to the MAC store.

Again, I was inexplicably nervous. Yet this time, I walked straight in and to the associates without hesitation. And as always, upon arrival, I was greeted by warm smiles.

Still feeling the sting of failure from the day before, though, I felt compelled to confess to my associate how I had chickened out the day before. She good-naturedly reprimanded and scolded me for having done so, and assured me that there is nothing wrong with those such as I, that we are beautiful, and that we have nothing to worry about. In this, she was gentle, she was genuine, and she was heart felt. In other words, she made it quite clear to me that my fears were unfounded, that I need not be concerned, and that I can be myself around others under certain circumstances. Of course, based upon previous experience, I already knew this, but I could not get it through my thick skull yesterday.

As such, I have re-learned a valuable lesson that I almost allowed myself to forget. In this regard, I recognize that I continue to have good days and bad days, and that sometimes I do let the fear control my thoughts. However, as with today, I acknowledge that if I do get back up on that saddle soon thereafter, and just do it, I become less fearful, and dramatically increase the odds of success in the future. Certainly, fear can be powerful, but so can success!

Are there any trans related activities that you thought you had down pat that you, too, subsequently chickened out in? If so, what did you do to get back up on the saddle?

rachaelsloane
02-24-2012, 04:43 PM
A MAC store, NO Way Anne. Between you, Debby and me, we're keeping them busy. Last Saturday I bought more, like I needed more, but my SA said I should try Grey's.
I have chickened out when buying clothes and not saying it was for me, as it would so much easier to try them on in the store rather than bring them home only to return them.
Rachael

LeaP
02-24-2012, 05:31 PM
Clarification - did you go to the MAC store dressed? The SA's response makes it sound as if you did.

Lea

Sara Jessica
02-24-2012, 05:31 PM
You have to know what I'm gonna say, that I'm just waiting for you to waltz in there one day presenting as your true self.

Prissy Linda
02-24-2012, 05:38 PM
I kept waiting for the part where you threw a saddle on a really big chicken, oh well.

Anne2345
02-24-2012, 05:54 PM
I kept waiting for the part where you threw a saddle on a really big chicken, oh well.

I didn't mention the part about where I threw a saddle on a really big chicken??!!! D'OH!!! :facepalm: Well, in case in helps, I did do that! :D

Debb
02-24-2012, 05:54 PM
I myself have experienced that trepidation this week ... OK, actually it's been at least two weeks where I've been chickening out.

Not to stores, oh no, heaven forfend that I avoid spending money. No, my avoidance has been when trying to make myself attend support groups and other social events for "my type of folks".

Can't say I understand it. I'm still working on it, so no horse for me quite yet.

JessHaust
02-24-2012, 06:05 PM
Clarification - did you go to the MAC store dressed? The SA's response makes it sound as if you did.

Lea

Not sure about Anne, but I have gone en drab and still got the response she describes. It's really wonderful.

JessHaust
02-24-2012, 06:06 PM
I didn't mention the part about where I threw a saddle on a really big chicken??!!! D'OH!!! :facepalm: Well, in case in helps, I did do that! :D

There are times I need a chicken saddle, can you recommend a good online source? :)

whowhatwhen
02-24-2012, 06:17 PM
It sounds like an awesome place, if a bit expensive from what I've read.
Maybe confidence and comfort is worth the extra cost, depending on how much. :P

STACY B
02-24-2012, 07:17 PM
Thats weard but it happen to me on a couple ocasions ,,Beleive it or not guess ya jus get that ol dont want to exsplain it AGAIN TODAY mood . Sometime Ill jus tell the world an sometime its like ,,, Hey thats not all Im about ya know ,, New chix that are kinda still exploring this whole thing dont know ,, An ya cant tell anyone about it you have to DO it & BE THERE ,,, When ya first go out its realy scary an exciting ,, But after you have done it alot kinda get in the jus leave me alone faze ,, Your busy looking for something specific an dont want another costumer looking an staring and bothering you all the time , I meen at first ya know its going to happen when ya get read,,, But I guess thats why we try an go to the same places so were left alone an can shop in peace . Once ya do it an get comfterble its not as big of a deal being out dressed as it is to get what ya came for ,, Eventualy you forget about the makeup an the clothes you have on an become a regular shopper ,, But yes it has happen to me ,, I think it wasnt so much the store or the SA as it was the people that where there . For sure there are certain times of the or night and what day of the week it is makes alot of difference becaise of the people that will be in the place, But I guess it will pass just a little growing pains I guess ?

Jacqueline Winona
02-24-2012, 07:20 PM
Good for you, Anne! Nerve is something we all lack at times, glad to see you saddle up! :)

Julogden
02-24-2012, 07:48 PM
Back when I used to go out to clubs and community activities a lot, I lived on the NW side of Chicago, so I was fairly anonymous, and yet in the beginning, going out the door was a real challenge, but it became easier and easier with the passing of time. Yet every once in a while, I'd have an evening where it became an enormous task to turn that doorknob, walk down a few steps, go out the door and get into the car. I don't know why it happened, but it did. Once in a great while, it would get the best of me and I'd stay home.

Carol

Debglam
02-24-2012, 08:10 PM
Happens to all of us Anne!

As Rachel said though - MAC??? It IS the mothership after all! :heehee:

Similar situation yesterday. Payless Shoes has a new feature on their website where you can check the inventory of the local stores. I "needed" a pair of black flats and the local store had them in my size. I swing by the store and I am the only customer and the SA is a young guy. He asks if he can help me and when I say "Just looking" he asks me what size I am and starts steering me towards the men's shoes. There was a minute of deer-in-the-headlights and I thought, screw it and said "I am a woman's size 13." No looks, pauses, or anything. He showed me where they were, I tried a couple of pairs on, and bought one. (Did have a fleeting thought of wearing these really cute black patent bow flats back to the office. They did match my suit!) :battingeyelashes:

Bottom line is that any other day I could have looked at a couple pair of guy shoes and left without what I was after.

Again, good for you for going back!

:hugs:
Debby

Amanda22
02-25-2012, 03:03 PM
A couple of months ago when my wife was traveling, I wanted to go to a nice restaurant/bar while dressed. I mentioned this the day before and she was excited for me. So I got all made up and dressed, drove to the spot, and just sat there like a scared child for at least 20 minutes before I mustered the courage to go in. I didn't expect that fear to surge because I've gone lots of places by myself. It was really unexpected and didn't hit me until I turned off the ignition and reached for the door handle. I just sat there and started ruminating over embarrassing scenarios which might occur. The longer I sat, the more frustrated with myself I became. Partly because I didn't want to confess to my wife that I'd chickened out, but mostly because I thought I was just being ridiculous, I took a deep breath and went on in. Of course, I had a good time and nothing bad happened. These hesitations can really sneak up on me.

Dealight
02-25-2012, 08:07 PM
Hi ya'll... Anne, in the past month I have cancelled 3 appointments to 3 different MAC stores. Not proud of that, but just to let you know we all fall into that trap. I, too, have purchased a LOT of MAC products, have been helped by a lot of wonderful MAC associates, but for some reason have cancelled make up appointments. I'm not worried about it, I will at some point follow through with it.....but I do wish I had had the gumption to just do what I wanted to, when I wanted to....... Love ya, and no worries!!!!! Take care - Dea

docrobbysherry
02-25-2012, 08:38 PM
I'm happy u did what u had to do for Anne's sake! ALL of us should KNOW WHAT WE NEED TO DO!:thumbsup:

But, I KNOW what I look like dressed! I also know that anyone who sees me out like that will either jeer, drop their jaw, or in the case of SA's, bite their tongue!:brolleyes:

I don't care for the, "heart jumping up into my throat", feeling that comes with ANY and ALL of those reactions from others!:sad:

The ONLY REASON I feel to be worthwhile suffering the slings and arrows of going out dressed is to be with other CDs! I'm planning to do that again in Vegas in April at the DLV!:D

Otherwise, I think going out dressed to try and prove something to myself is just stressful and POINTLESS!:straightface:
I believe dressing should be FUN!

Sara Jessica
02-26-2012, 08:56 AM
I'm happy u did what u had to do for Anne's sake! ALL of us should KNOW WHAT WE NEED TO DO!:thumbsup:

But, I KNOW what I look like dressed! I also know that anyone who sees me out like that will either jeer, drop their jaw, or in the case of SA's, bite their tongue!:brolleyes:

I don't care for the, "heart jumping up into my throat", feeling that comes with ANY and ALL of those reactions from others!:sad:

The ONLY REASON I feel to be worthwhile suffering the slings and arrows of going out dressed is to be with other CDs! I'm planning to do that again in Vegas in April at the DLV!:D

Otherwise, I think going out dressed to try and prove something to myself is just stressful and POINTLESS!:straightface:
I believe dressing should be FUN!

You need to give yourself a little credit, you did wonderfully in Vegas. I know you were hesitant about your skills with makeup and hair but seriously, you did just fine.

Perhaps this year you might consider doing that Macy's makeover event which will take place late Friday afternoon, before the ending bash. C'mon, I dare ya!!! ;) You might be pleasantly surprised!

kimdl93
02-28-2012, 03:53 PM
Almost on a daily basis. Despite having conquered my fears (I keep telling myself that), I still feel a little stage fright each time I get ready to leave the house. The same old doubts and fears come back. There have been a few days when I talked myself out of going out - and that just made the next outing a little bit more difficult. So, I do my very best to get out every day and to interact with living breathing people each time I go out.

It seems once I'm back on that horse, it doesn't matter if I'm scared - I still gotta ride.